SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 20 - AVS Forum
First ... 18  19  20 21  22  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector
Bachiano's Avatar Bachiano 03:03 PM 07-09-2014
Nosferatu

What distance are you running the PJ for your 150"
Is that diagonal or width?

Nosferatu's Avatar Nosferatu 05:19 PM 07-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
Nosferatu

What distance are you running the PJ for your 150"
Is that diagonal or width?
about 17 feet back

It's approximately 131" from left to right.

I say 150" based on this website.
http://www.engineeringcalculator.net...alculator.html

Put in 150" and it matches about what my length is from left to right. Considering it's a 16:9 projector that's how I got the 150.
str8desifer's Avatar str8desifer 07:43 PM 07-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

I got mine all setup , we watched a movies and it was hard to separate the blacks
Hey Nick,
Can you tell what shelf mount that is? I need something like that for my set up.
Thanks
a1usedcomp's Avatar a1usedcomp 07:52 PM 07-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8desifer View Post
Hey Nick,
Can you tell what shelf mount that is? I need something like that for my set up.
Thanks

OmniMount ECSB Component Shelf Walmart online
cruisx's Avatar cruisx 08:04 PM 07-09-2014
Are east porters and Gibbys the only places to buy this in Canada? I hear they both have great customer service but god damn this 15% tax. I wish someone was selling it closer to the US sale prices I have been seeing. I hope more pop up on ebay soon, should have pulled the trigger when it was in stock =(
curtishd's Avatar curtishd 09:32 PM 07-09-2014
How does this Sony compare to the Benq W7000?
blueskies758's Avatar blueskies758 09:55 PM 07-09-2014
Better black level, no rainbow effect, generally similar input lag I think for gaming.
Sharpness without Reality Creation the Benq is sharper, with it turned on the Sony is.
3D is going to be better on the Benq, but the 3D on the 40 ES is no slouch.

In many ways folks are thrilled with the performance of this projector.
tcramer's Avatar tcramer 07:29 AM 07-10-2014
Just got mine this week. The area the screen is going has a soffit and 2 2' tall Rythmik subs, so I am unfortunately limited on the screen size. I have 2 rows of seating, the main row about 11' away. Given the space where the screen will go, I really have 2 options.

1. I can leave my Panny 65VT50 wall mounted and get a drop down screen. In this scenario, I was looking at the Elite AT 100" dropdown that would just fit under the soffit without hitting my subs.
2. I can remove the Panny and get a 120" screen that would just fit on the wall between the soffit and subs.

What do you guys think? Obviously the bigger the better but I was concerned about being "forced" to use the projector all the time versus having the option to use the plasma for casual viewing. I feel that the 100" just wouldn't do it justice.
cruisx's Avatar cruisx 11:56 AM 07-10-2014
If I buy this projector in the USA via ebay or Best Buy and bring it across the border does anyone know if the warranty will be valid in Canada? Or will I have to cross the border and ship it off to sony from within the USA to claim the warranty.

Edit: To late, deal was to good to pass up for a Canadian. Worst case the savings I gained can be used for future repairs.
str8desifer's Avatar str8desifer 04:53 PM 07-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

OmniMount ECSB Component Shelf Walmart online
Thanks.
jeremiewi's Avatar jeremiewi 09:25 PM 07-10-2014
Need a bit more help with the setup for the projector. Some of the scenes are jittery. I made some adjustments mentioned here, but it still is there. I checked with 3 different movies to see if it was related to the filming, and I don't think it is. Any thoughts on an adjustment to help this? This is my first projector, is this common?
cmunro's Avatar cmunro 09:34 PM 07-10-2014
I just purchased the projector over the phone through Sony. I'm really surprised they had them in stock the only downside was having to pay sales tax. He did throw in 2 day fed-ex shipping and I know there an authorized dealer that's for sure. I'm really excited about this my Sanyo PLV-Z60 just isn't cutting it anymore this should really be a step up.
lightner22's Avatar lightner22 12:57 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmunro View Post
I just purchased the projector over the phone through Sony. I'm really surprised they had them in stock the only downside was having to pay sales tax. He did throw in 2 day fed-ex shipping and I know there an authorized dealer that's for sure. I'm really excited about this my Sanyo PLV-Z60 just isn't cutting it anymore this should really be a step up.

Very nice. I just ordered one from Crutchfield as I'd rather have points to use with them instead of Sony and they are semi-local to me. They are out of stock currently though, so hopefully Sony can drop-ship quickly.
kapp_badbloodz 01:47 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightner22 View Post
Very nice. I just ordered one from Crutchfield as I'd rather have points to use with them instead of Sony and they are semi-local to me. They are out of stock currently though, so hopefully Sony can drop-ship quickly.
This is why I ordered from Projector People like day 2 of the sale. I knew they would have it in stock and I would get taken care of. Also, I hear they have really good customer support. T-Minus 14 days roughly till I am back stateside. Then I get to assemble this monster and see what it can do

Has anyone played PS3/4 on any other mode other than game mode? I want to experiment with lag times myself but am curious what results others may have had.
GMC's Avatar GMC 06:13 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
This is why I ordered from Projector People like day 2 of the sale. I knew they would have it in stock and I would get taken care of. Also, I hear they have really good customer support. T-Minus 14 days roughly till I am back stateside. Then I get to assemble this monster and see what it can do
Projector People is out of these projectors till the 17th. Just got confirmation from my rep.
pajama sam's Avatar pajama sam 08:44 PM 07-11-2014
I've had mine for a few days now and so far it's great - a big step up from the AX200U it replaces.

I would like to calibrate it for my dark painted light-controlled room and my 106" diagonal 0.85 screen. I have the Disney WOW disk, but I'm not sure how to approach it. Do you only modify the USER setting, or all of them? Seems like that would be a lot of work. Isn't the calibration specific to the lamp mode? that is, everything is invalidated if the lamp mode is switched.

Can anyone point me to a suggested step-by-step procedure for doing this calibration?

BTW I got some PS3 3D glasses and they seem to work fine with the projector mounted upside down and almost directly overhead.
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 08:41 AM 07-12-2014
Hey all, stupid question time.

I was going to pull the trigger on this at Projector People but I want to be certain I get the black model. (Dark room, dark ceiling.) What's the model number difference as I only see one option to pick from? Thanks!
enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 08:42 AM 07-12-2014
Only the black model is available in the USA.
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 08:49 AM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Only the black model is available in the USA.
Well, that's a relief. Everything I saw made me think I was ordering black, but google image search made me paranoid. Thanks, sir!
enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 08:55 AM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Well, that's a relief. Everything I saw made me think I was ordering black, but google image search made me paranoid. Thanks, sir!
That's because in Europe it's available in black or white.
kapp_badbloodz 08:56 AM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
Projector People is out of these projectors till the 17th. Just got confirmation from my rep.
Hence why I ordered it quickly. Its already waiting for me at my girlfriend's apartment and to be installed in our new house. I believe her comment about it was "yeah I got them... one of the boxes was obnoxiously heavy and I debated leaving it behind". LOL!

I have it waiting for me... but it hits right in the feels for people who have to wait longer for it
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 09:08 AM 07-12-2014
Trigger pulled. Coming from a Sanyo Z4. Really, if it wasn't for the blacks, I'd still hold onto it. But lately the screen door is a bit much, the blacks are so grey (even with the iris, which I always notice) and sometimes when I power it up, it shuts off on it's own. (Faulty temperature switch I think...)

I'm in the back of the line, so it sounds like 1 to 2 weeks to get it at least. (I can wait to save the $177 in tax if I order from Sony...)

Time to research the nitty-gritty so I can have things ready when it gets here....

Projector People are getting 50 units in next week with more to follow the week after, so there's a chance that even if you ordered yesterday or today, it might be the week after shipment before you get your order filled. Seems to be a similar story elsewhere on similar delays. (Crutchfield, Best Buy, etc.)

I guess that means the sale worked. LOL.
kapp_badbloodz 09:23 AM 07-12-2014
I wonder what is going to be released next if Sony is pushing to move so much product.
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 10:40 AM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
I wonder what is going to be released next if Sony is pushing to move so much product.
Well, considering this projector JUST came out, it was a bit of a surprise for me. I don't think an immediate replacement for it is in the wings. All of the reviews had it comparing to the 2,500-3,000 priced models and then all of sudden it's a buck under 2k.

Perhaps they wanted to create some buzz for this end of their market? I'm not sure.
AV_Integrated's Avatar AV_Integrated 04:22 PM 07-12-2014
Just picked up one for a client of mine. I will have to test it out before installation to see how nice it looks compared to my current W1070 on a 161" screen.
cruisx's Avatar cruisx 04:24 PM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Just picked up one for a client of mine. I will have to test it out before installation to see how nice it looks compared to my current W1070 on a 161" screen.
Mine will come Monday had a w1080st a for a few months before I sold it in May. Looking forward to it, just a little paranoid about the non-authorized dealer thing but what is life without risk? lol\
I will provide some updates for those wanting to know how gaming (PC/PS4) feels like.
kreeturez's Avatar kreeturez 05:29 PM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Working on weekends again, AV?

That'd be interesting indeed.

I'd expect an outright Sony victory when it comes to black level (and therefore contrast ratio); and of course placement flexibility. Should be quite a bit quieter, too.

Calibrated brightness should be roughly the same (take into account however many hundred/thousand hours you've put on your bulb...)

What could be somewhat less clear-cut might be motion blur (an FPS game would be a good comparison - or any high-framerate sports event... a rerun of that useless World Cup match today, then? ) as well sharpness (small-font text?) and 3D.

As it stands, the Sony is the projector I recommend to anyone with a dark-painted, light controlled room; particularly for primarily-movie-watching use.
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 06:32 PM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
In my opinion the black level is excellent. A couple of reviews have commented that it would benefit from a manual iris, but the same thing can be accomplished with a neutral density filter, with the added benefit of reducing reflectance. I was using an ND2 filter on mine and liked it, but switched to a gray screen so removed the filter, as the gray screen accomplishes the same thing in regard to black levels.
Where would one pick up a filter like that? Thanks!
wormraper's Avatar wormraper 06:38 PM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Where would one pick up a filter like that? Thanks!
bestbuy has them. or any camera shop will
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 07:07 PM 07-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
bestbuy has them. or any camera shop will
Oh really? Is it a specific mm size or do you have to do a little work to properly attach it? (I suppose I could wait until the projector got here, but it gives me something to obsess over while I wait. )
First ... 18  19  20 21  22  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop