SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 1815 Old 07-12-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Oh really? Is it a specific mm size or do you have to do a little work to properly attach it? (I suppose I could wait until the projector got here, but it gives me something to obsess over while I wait. )
you can get them different sized at camera shops, but those will be more expensive then just a generic sized one at Best buy or what not. on my old epson I just taped it over the apeture since it was over sized. whatever you want to do it works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1815 Old 07-12-2014, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Where would one pick up a filter like that? Thanks!
I ordered mine from BH Photo Video. I linked the exact model in an earlier post, one that fits perfectly. It's this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Polyester.html

It's the right diameter, and the rubber band attaches to the focus ring of the projector, allowing for focus adjustments with the filter attached.

If you're using a positive gain white screen I recommend it. With a gray screen I don't use it.
post #603 of 1815 Old 07-12-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Working on weekends again, AV?
Got a nice side job with a 10 zone distributed audio/video home setup. Full size equipment rack in the basement and Crestron control system. Should be really nice. The theater space is more of a 'rec room' area instead of a dedicated space, but will be painted a bit darker and with a 134" or so acoustically transparent screen. I will post a few photos when it's all done.

Quote:
That'd be interesting indeed.
I may post some photos if I can. I do expect the Sony to do very well, and it's my thought that it may be a replacement to my W1070.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #604 of 1815 Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
damn, with how cheap it is now I almost regret picking up my JVC RS46 for $2899
post #605 of 1815 Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
damn, with how cheap it is now I almost regret picking up my JVC RS46 for $2899
Look on the bright side, as of last night, it's back up to $2,499 everywhere. (Minus the dealers who aren't authorized.)

;-)
post #606 of 1815 Old 07-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Look on the bright side, as of last night, it's back up to $2,499 everywhere. (Minus the dealers who aren't authorized.)

;-)

...and the JVC's contrast ratio is in a league of its own, so I wouldn't sweat it.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #607 of 1815 Old 07-13-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...and the JVC's contrast ratio is in a league of its own, so I wouldn't sweat it.
Indeed. That was actually the projector I wanted, but at almost a grand more... just couldn't talk myself into it. (Particularly since display tech loses it's value and improves a lot faster than the audio side of things...)
post #608 of 1815 Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to do CIH with this PJ ?

Thanks
post #609 of 1815 Old 07-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
I ordered mine from BH Photo Video. I linked the exact model in an earlier post, one that fits perfectly. It's this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Polyester.html

It's the right diameter, and the rubber band attaches to the focus ring of the projector, allowing for focus adjustments with the filter attached.

If you're using a positive gain white screen I recommend it. With a gray screen I don't use it.
would I gain anything with this filter
Im using a Cinewhite 1.1 Elite Screen

Analog :Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier, Amps: NOS Valves VRD mono blocks - VPI Classic 2 Soundsmith Zephyr MK/II VPI 16.5
Digital :Auralic Vega , Auralic Aries
Speakers :Selah Audio Tempesta's
post #610 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think you should only use this filter if you are in a light-controlled (dark) room and you think you have a too bright image even if the lamp is on low.
post #611 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
Is it possible to do CIH with this PJ ?

Thanks
It's possible to do CIH with any projector if you are willing to do what you have to do to get it.

But, this projector doesn't have automatic zoom like the AE8000 or the JVC RS46.

It has the zoom range to accomplish CIH if you are using the poor mans zoom method.

If using an anamorphic lens, you may do so using a vertical stretch to the 2.35 content according to their manual, page 37.
https://docs.sony.com/release/VPLHW40ES.pdf

Of course, only if 2.35 actually makes sense to use in any specific room.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #612 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

PROJECTORREVIEWS.com has their review up:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...jector-review/

post #613 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Interesting. Can't wait to see if they come out with any more (new) info.
post #614 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I am looking for your comparison vs W1070. I want to upgrade but I dont see other option, except maybe Optoma HD30.

Can you give us a brief summary please
post #615 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post
I am looking for your comparison vs W1070. I want to upgrade but I dont see other option, except maybe Optoma HD30.

Can you give us a brief summary please
SUMMARY:

I will have to wait 1-2 weeks for the sucker to get to me.

I ordered on Saturday (last day of sale) and it's very backordered. So, I will wait. Since I don't get to keep it anyway, this will only be for about an hour of testing against my W1070.

post #616 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
+1 looking forward to your review between both.

post #617 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Liked: 22
I don't completely agree with that Projectorreviews review on black levels. I have been a black level snob since I bought my first HDTV in 2000, and I am quite happy with the black levels on this projector. I am running it in cinema 1 mode, in a partially completed home theater shooting on to a sheet, so the conditions aren't even perfect yet. I should have my Seymour XD screen up by this weekend and will have a better idea of the final image that I can achieve in my room.
post #618 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety View Post
I don't completely agree with that Projectorreviews review on black levels. I have been a black level snob since I bought my first HDTV in 2000, and I am quite happy with the black levels on this projector. I am running it in cinema 1 mode, in a partially completed home theater shooting on to a sheet, so the conditions aren't even perfect yet. I should have my Seymour XD screen up by this weekend and will have a better idea of the final image that I can achieve in my room.
Blacks are what I'm most curious to see when mine shows up. (Also in the delayed category.)

I'm planning on taking some slightly overexposed shots of some scenes on my Z4 vs this new projector when it arrives, and I'll post those to give some people who still are holding onto older LCD models an idea of the improvement they can hope to see in contrast levels (as well as shadow detail.)

I enjoy properly exposed pictures of people's set up screens as well as anyone, but they're more for fun, and don't help much to gauge picture quality. I can make my old projector look pretty darn good in those circumstances.
post #619 of 1815 Old 07-14-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had mine about a week and it is certainly a big improvement over my panny 200ax with 2000+ hours on the bulb.
It's massively brighter - I'm only using low lamp mode so far, even for 3d.

Contrast looks very good - when the screen contains bright areas the dark areas look very black; the only time I wish it was better is in uniformly dark scenes.

This is on 106" 1.1 screen at a distance of 12' in a dark painted, light controlled room.
post #620 of 1815 Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Blacks are what I'm most curious to see when mine shows up. (Also in the delayed category.)

I'm planning on taking some slightly overexposed shots of some scenes on my Z4 vs this new projector when it arrives, and I'll post those to give some people who still are holding onto older LCD models an idea of the improvement they can hope to see in contrast levels (as well as shadow detail.)

I enjoy properly exposed pictures of people's set up screens as well as anyone, but they're more for fun, and don't help much to gauge picture quality. I can make my old projector look pretty darn good in those circumstances.
This would be really interesting to see. You mostly compare projectors from the same or adjacent generations so you seldom get an view on how things has improved over longer periodes of time.
Looking forward to the pictures.
post #621 of 1815 Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question VPL-HS20 -----> VPL-HW40 coming tomorrow

I couldn't pass this up with the sale price this past weekend. I'll be coming from an 11 year old Sony VPL-HS20 which still runs well. What can I expect?
post #622 of 1815 Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Ooh ooh! Does anyone have one of these in the NYC area? I would love to stop by with beer and snacks to check it out!
post #623 of 1815 Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM

Great Idea phoveo!

Does anyone have one of these in the Orlando / central Florida area? I would love to stop by with beer and snacks to check it out!
post #624 of 1815 Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have one near you(sorta) I'm in clearwater

I've been pampered with deep blacks with the kuro in the mid 2000s up to 2011 when I got a panny ST30 then made the awesome upgrade to this 40ES, the blacks and colors remind me of my plasma, there are SLIGHT uniformity issues due to my grey screen but if I had a white screen that would be gone, I don't notice it anymore which is shocking to me. Long story short, the blacks are black and there is no light bleed at any time! I'm 100% satisfied with this puppy
post #625 of 1815 Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
Great Idea phoveo!

Does anyone have one of these in the Orlando / central Florida area? I would love to stop by with beer and snacks to check it out!
x2

Both myself and Kevin are in Tampa.

My setup is visceral audio mayhem attached to the projector.
See my sig for link to my setup. It sings and is visually stunning at 150".

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #626 of 1815 Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 PM

Liked: 0
I currently have the Epson 9700UB, and have been very impressed with its black level and image (although it is a little loud and I can hear its iris at times). How much of an improvement can I expect with the Sony in 2D? I don't care about 3D.

I use my projector in a dedicated home theater. It is ceiling mounted 16 feet from a 120" Elite Lunette Curve120WH1 Cinewhite (gain 1.1) screen.

Last edited by jcsoldo; 07-16-2014 at 12:17 PM.
post #627 of 1815 Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got mine, I will give some impressions coming for a BenQw1080st. Please note at the moment my room is horrid, its small and white walls reflect everything. I will be moving my unit to the basement in a few weeks.

- Contrast is the first thing you will notice, as soon as my desktop wallpaper came on I could see a major difference. With the BenQ the colored seemed washed out almost as if there was a sheen of light grey covering the screen. The contrast is amazing coming from the BenQ

-The projector is BIG compared to the BenQ, but at the same time it is very very silent, almost no noise. It is also running cooler than the BenQ which was a heat canon. On my projector as if you were starting at it from the front, the left side puts out more heat than the right and the back is very cool. So very happy with heat/noise performance. They are a non-issue.

- Gaming, played a bit of fifa in Game mode. Input lag was great and I did not notice it affecting my performance when making passes or shooting. The gaming performance is great with the projector!

- Black levels. Now my room is horrid, all white everything with an Elunevision 92' screen. Here is how I know the black levels are a great step above for me anyways when comparing to the BenQ. For those that have seen SkyFall, the intro where the festive dragons are flying. Right before the dragon spits fire the black bars are very very black. But as soon as the dragon spits fire the bars turn very grey due to the fire reflecting off the walls. But I placed a firework on the screen right before it exploded and the image was very black. Also another scene where bond is on a boat with the lanterns, the blacks are very black there. I believe with proper walls and if my room was not so small the black performance would be excellent and surpass my Sony NX810. Now if there is some color on the screen along with black then it looks amazing in my white walled room. Its a big step up I feel coming from the BenQ.

-3D I only tried 2 movies so far Despicable Me 2 and the Lego Movie, the 3D was great and I did not notice any crosstalk during my viewing. I was using the play station 3D glasses and every so often I would have to look back at the projector to get it to sync again even though I was less than 3 feet away from it. This could have been my fault as the glasses were not fully charged and I forgot to take of the sticker covering the sensor. Will try again later.

Overall very impressed with the projector even in my very bad room. Should be even better once moved to the basement where it should be able to retain much more contrast. If you guys are going to keep it temporarily in a white walled room, don't worry about it. When watching full screen movies/TV/Games it has more than enough contrast to still give the image a lot of POP. The only time I notice the lack of black levels is when something bright comes on the screen and my black bars gets washed out, other wise in a proper environment, they are very good.

Great upgrade from my BenQ! All in to Canada for $1950 hard to resist.

Does anyone know the proper way to take pictures of a projector screen with a DSLR? I want to post some pics up so you guys can get an idea of the Quality.

Last edited by cruisx; 07-16-2014 at 06:47 PM.
post #628 of 1815 Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
where did you buy from?
post #629 of 1815 Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krectus View Post
where did you buy from?
ebay. However it may come to bite me in the back as its mostly likely an unauthorized dealer but the canadian prices are wack so the big savings can be used for future repairs if need be.
post #630 of 1815 Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks Kevinlg and Nosferatu

Wish you guys were closer.
Would have been fun.

I’m getting very excited about this PJ and hope it goes back on sale soon.

Bachiano
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page