SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #631 of 1989 Old 07-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with hdmi connected to Pioneer vsx-1018

I have a new Sony vpl-hw40es that wont handshake with my Pioneer vsx-1018. Pioneer works fine when hdmi connected to other displays and the projector works perfectly when hdmi connected directly to the source, directv or ps3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1989 Old 07-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
x2

My setup is visceral audio mayhem attached to the projector.
See my sig for link to my setup. It sings and is visually stunning at 150".
Just got this projector last night! So excited to get into a movie tonight and many more this weekend
I am coming from the LG CF181D LCOS (Only replaced it because it messed up a 3rd time and LG ended up giving me a majority of my money back). The LG was one of the best projectors I have had. This Sony VPL-HW40ES will be my 4th.

Nosferatu, like you I have a 150" Screen: ELIR150WH1: SCREEN, 75"X 130" EZFRAMEFIXED FRAME HDTV CINEWHITE 1.0Gain screen. Have had the theater room setup for a long time, so just dropping in this new projector is all I needed to do thankfully. It's a basement room ~14x~17 and completely dark when the lights are turned off (Bat Cave). Even have the walls painted a darker brown, only the ceiling is white (minimal light breflection, couldn't talk wife into a dark ceiling in any room in the house )

I have read both reviews:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...tor_review.htm
and
http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...jector-review/

Would like to get others thoughts on a few things, with the understanding of my setup and provide some guidance.
I am really a purest in the sense of I don't generally like modifying a source picture with enhancements to try to make it look better. This usually doesn't look better to me, and just covers up the root problem.
In reading the reviews, they seem to hint at this as well with the "Reality Creation", "Motion Flow", and "Sharpness". Seems if you have light in your room, you will want to use Cinema Film 1, and if you have a bat cave, Reference with low lamp should be almost a perfect picture. Now were talking!

1. Am I correct in understanding that if I select reference, and ensure reality creation and motion flow are off I should get the most "realistic" picture? I of course don't want to be "stuck in my old ways" but last night just quickly messing with it in CF1 default settings which I believe is 20 on reality creation, with Fifth Element Blu-ray, I was not really impressed with the movie compared to my LG CF181D which was absolutely beautiful, clear, and almost no noise. With the Sony, I could see so much graininess in the faces (mentioned by PC review Art Feierman) but also the surrounding background. When turning RC to off, the picture didn't seem as clear and a bit faded maybe, nowhere near the clarity of the LG. I didn't spend time moving it up/down, but can if you guys think that would be the best option over turning it off.

2. I will try today/tonight when I get a chance and change my setting to what I think may be more ideal in my situation (Reference) with RC off. Motion flow creates too much of the slideshow for me, so I always have that off on every TV/Projector I have. It is similar to DLP rainbow effect which I can see even in today's newest projectors that many can not. As I mentioned I like it clear, clean, and beautiful. I am really hoping that "reference" will blow me away, or at least be a small improvement over the LG.

3. On Game mode, I wasn't playing a game, and hope that is the reason, but the colors all seemed blown out and not reality. I will hook up Xbox 360 tonight and try out a few games to test lag. Would like to hear others thoughts on playing games on the "reference" setting, instead of game. The lag is higher, but still lower than many adequate projectors, so maybe it's not noticeable? Will play with that as well.

4. Lastly, what BluRay movies are you guys using for highest quality image testing? While The Fifth Element is a great flick, good sound, etc. It seems very dated, and maybe already has grain in it, only amplifying the effect. I have the Hobbit and LOTRO I will try out, but they also tend to artificially add colors, etc to the benefit of the movie experience, but that doesn't make for the best "test" disk. What's the highest resolution movie/test disk/etc I can use to not only look at colors, grain, but also focus (this dial is not the easiest to super fine tune focus on).

Thanks, I am in NC for those that are in the area and wanting to see it in person, send me a PM.
G
post #633 of 1989 Old 07-18-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian1 View Post
Just got this projector last night! So excited to get into a movie tonight and many more this weekend
Just to ask a stupid question, but have you done a panel alignment yet? That may crisp things up slightly if there's a pixel or two of misalignment and you haven't done so yet.

On #4 , maybe someone else can chime in, but wouldn't play back of photo stills from a computer be the best you could get? (I know, not technically a movie... but bit color depth and lack of compression would reign supreme...)

Last edited by chirpie; 07-18-2014 at 12:51 PM.
post #634 of 1989 Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Nosferatu

Can you see pixel structure at your screen size?

I just got back from magnolia and could not see any though their screen was small - maybe 80" diagonal.

BTW - I got to play with settings.
Turned off Motion and Reality.
Set it to reference.
Did a quick panel alignment and put the bulb on low.
Had them turn off all the lights although there was still some light spilling from their stupid glass doors.
They also opened up a new Skyfall BD for me.

Went to the Shanghai chapter / scene and I was very very impressed with the blacks.
Motion and color were also superb.

Cheers
Bachiano
post #635 of 1989 Old 07-18-2014, 02:39 PM

Chirpe, that's a great suggestion and question
I have not done that yet, I did not catch that I needed to, but will tonight. I will update my findings afterwards.

Bachiano, That sounds like the exact setttings I plan to set tonight on my 150" and will let you know as well.
I can say that I did not notice any pixel structure, but I didn't pay attention to that. Will look and also update after the panel alignment and changing the settings.

Thanks, G.
post #636 of 1989 Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian1 View Post
Chirpe, that's a great suggestion and question
I have not done that yet, I did not catch that I needed to, but will tonight. I will update my findings afterwards.

Bachiano, That sounds like the exact setttings I plan to set tonight on my 150" and will let you know as well.
I can say that I did not notice any pixel structure, but I didn't pay attention to that. Will look and also update after the panel alignment and changing the settings.

Thanks, G.
When it comes to older movies you will see different levels of grain. Try Skyfall or Oblivion if you really want to showcase the picture.
post #637 of 1989 Old 07-18-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I also have a lg 181d. I moved it to a den for tv viewing on a 120" screen. I have the Sony in the theater with a 159" scope screen with a lens. The Sony picture is really not a huge upgrade from the LG. I wanted 3D is why I upgraded . The LG is a match for the Sony on 2D. I wanted an improvement but really only got 3D out of it.
post #638 of 1989 Old 07-18-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
this may seem like a dumb question, but what is panel alignment and how do I use it? I wish I could use it while the pattern was still up
post #639 of 1989 Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
this may seem like a dumb question, but what is panel alignment and how do I use it? I wish I could use it while the pattern was still up
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...H7DuxVf74LhPsg
post #640 of 1989 Old 07-19-2014, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Panel alignment would more accurately be described as panel misalignment compensation. Ideally, the pixels of all three panels are focused exactly on top of one another by the optical system.
The panel alignment procedure offsets the red or blue image by one or more pixels in either the vertical or horizontal direction (or both) to line it up with the green image.
There is necessarily a loss of a few pixels around the edges when this is done, but perhaps overscan takes care of this.

The process puts up it's own grid pattern. You have to get really close to the screen while changing the offset on the remote to minimize the color fringes in the grid pattern.
post #641 of 1989 Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam View Post
Panel alignment would more accurately be described as panel misalignment compensation. Ideally, the pixels of all three panels are focused exactly on top of one another by the optical system.
The panel alignment procedure offsets the red or blue image by one or more pixels in either the vertical or horizontal direction (or both) to line it up with the green image.

There is necessarily a loss of a few pixels around the edges when this is done, but perhaps overscan takes care of this.

There shouldn't be: the panels themselves usually contain redundant pixels on all four sides - which means when doing an alignment, there's no loss of pixels at all.

The only catch is if the misalignment is off by half-a-pixel: in which case it can't be aligned perfectly. But by the same token, this wouldn't be visible from regular viewing distance in any case.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #642 of 1989 Old 07-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
all this talk about aligning panels and troubleshooting is making me nervous about getting this thing out of the box. Still a couple weeks out from leaving the sandbox then I have to measure the room, order HDMI cables and cable management... then idk.

Kind of nervous.
post #643 of 1989 Old 07-19-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
all this talk about aligning panels and troubleshooting is making me nervous about getting this thing out of the box. Still a couple weeks out from leaving the sandbox then I have to measure the room, order HDMI cables and cable management... then idk.

Kind of nervous.
No need to worry.

The ability to align the panels / converge blue and red over the green is a great great feature.
I've been waiting along time for this ability to reach the sub $2000. PJ.
I would not buy a PJ that did not have the ability to converge.
With this PJ you can even converge individual zones.
Like my old G70 - Hooray !!!

Last edited by Bachiano; 07-19-2014 at 03:18 PM.
post #644 of 1989 Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam View Post

The process puts up it's own grid pattern. You have to get really close to the screen while changing the offset on the remote to minimize the color fringes in the grid pattern.
Thanks! I did it last night and now the h is at 3 and the v at 2, doesn't look sharper or better to me but oh well!

I did change my color space from b.709 or whatever to color space 1, it makes em slightly oversaturated like a plasma would and it looks so much more alive!
post #645 of 1989 Old 07-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Use a darbee.....I love the thing!
post #646 of 1989 Old 07-19-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
Use a darbee.....I love the thing!
What does that mean in this context? Isn't a darbee a DSP that kind of does what reality creation does?
post #647 of 1989 Old 07-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 56
If you want a sharper picture yet have a picture that looks natural (I don't find any artifact stuff going on) ....I love my Darbee!! (mine is set to 40.....HD....I think)

I turned it off the other day and hated the picture....it was merely a suggestion, that's all. If you think it makes your picture look less natural and more digital, your opinion and that's not wrong. Take it for all it was, a suggestion.
post #648 of 1989 Old 07-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Anyone had any luck or issues with HDMI control on this? My receiver worked perfect for HDMI control with both my previous Pioneer and Panny plasmas, but even with everything on this projector has no response with the control.

post #649 of 1989 Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 AM

My Projector should be delivered this week, my room is totally light controlled with Green walls and A white ceiling. I have A shelf that I can put it on which would sit it at 16'9",the measurements for the screen I'm using say between 11'8" and 18'6" with 14'4" being the number in between them. Will I be in good shape with a 1.0 gain screen or should I get the higher gain screen since i'm closer to the max distance? Thanks for any help. The screen is A Carada 118"
post #650 of 1989 Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM
GMC

Weird things happening here.

Does anyone have any idea why my 3d glasses would blink every 6-8 seconds. I have no problem if the projector is converting a 2d to a 3d, but if I send a 3d signal from my panasonic 3d player it blinks. It pretty much makes movies unwatchable. Suggestions would be appreciated.
post #651 of 1989 Old 07-22-2014, 04:36 AM
GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
Does anyone have any idea why my 3d glasses would blink every 6-8 seconds. I have no problem if the projector is converting a 2d to a 3d, but if I send a 3d signal from my panasonic 3d player it blinks. It pretty much makes movies unwatchable. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Found the answer. It appears my BR and HD DVD player 24FPS outputs are not well liked by my 3D glasses.
post #652 of 1989 Old 07-22-2014, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Speaking of 3D glasses, I bought 2 of the PS3 glasses for $18.99 and then bought another 2 once I tried them out. IR or not they play awesome. I don't see any cross talk and for that price they're a steal.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #653 of 1989 Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
My Projector should be delivered this week, my room is totally light controlled with Green walls and A white ceiling. I have A shelf that I can put it on which would sit it at 16'9",the measurements for the screen I'm using say between 11'8" and 18'6" with 14'4" being the number in between them. Will I be in good shape with a 1.0 gain screen or should I get the higher gain screen since i'm closer to the max distance? Thanks for any help. The screen is A Carada 118"
I would be surprised if you needed a higher gain screen even at 118" and if you put the projector that far back. The brightness has been touted as one of the virtues of this projector, and going higher gain on the screen would make your blacks lighter yet.
skypop likes this.
post #654 of 1989 Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Help, pick up a pair tr-250 sony 3d glasses, watch spiderman 3d and it was was ghosting and bluring., Took the glasses off and the same thing, I had them turn on ,I'm new to 3d any advice. sony 40es
post #655 of 1989 Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by movie3121 View Post
Help, pick up a pair tr-250 sony 3d glasses, watch spiderman 3d and it was was ghosting and bluring., Took the glasses off and the same thing, I had them turn on ,I'm new to 3d any advice. sony 40es
I can't really seem to find just 'TR-250' glasses from Sony.

I do get this back:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-TDG-BR250...sony+tdg-br250

Which doesn't indicate that they are designed to work with the projector.

If you see the same thing with the glasses on, as you do with the glasses off, and the image is blurry, then that means the projector is properly showing 3D content. It looks blurry, but is actually showing two separate images very quickly.

When you put the glasses on, and the glasses are powered on, they will sync with the projector using the only method the projector can sync with out of the box - which is IR.

There is no indication that those glasses are IR glasses. There are some Amazon links which indicate compatibility, and the 40ES projector is NOT on that list.

Sony PS3 IR glasses are supposed to be compatible, and a good deal.

I just think you bought the wrong thing. I could be incorrect, but that's what it looks like.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #656 of 1989 Old 07-23-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the info, the glasses I bought were sony -tdg br250,
post #657 of 1989 Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
I would be surprised if you needed a higher gain screen even at 118" and if you put the projector that far back. The brightness has been touted as one of the virtues of this projector, and going higher gain on the screen would make your blacks lighter yet.
Thanks for the help,the projector was delivered today,I have the mount up but I still have to rearrange the room,move my 65" tV upstairs and some other things,so after I move the TV and speaker shelves i'll be able to shoot on the wall before the screen goes up(Screen should be here next week).
post #658 of 1989 Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 PM

So, are the sony tdg-br250 are the wrong glasses?
post #659 of 1989 Old 07-24-2014, 04:19 AM
GMC

I don't know about the glasses you have but I can tell you that Xpand YOUniversal glasses work perfectly. Model 104's. They do I/R, BT, and even come with an RF dongle. You can update them on a windows system if needed. Good customer support if needed.
post #660 of 1989 Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 AM
mo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie3121 View Post
So, are the sony tdg-br250 are the wrong glasses?
I couldnt get the Sony tdg-br250 glasses to work, even though they seem to be IR, i can confirm that the PS/3 glasses work.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page