SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 959 Old 07-24-2014, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Just found out ill be heading home soon! Excited to get back and set this bad boy up. Also, due to my late night insomnia, I stumbled upon a website with CHEAP acoustic foam. The room is going to tie together nicely im going to get into trouble with the ol lady when she finds out a Home Depot is only 2 miles away from the house HAHA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 959 Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've been using this unit since a week after its release and I now have 320 hours. Looks great although it does have some handshake issues when connected directly to my oppo 105. It doesn't always happen but then again I have a 65ft redmere hdmi with a line booster at the 35ft mark. Also, if you sit relatively close to the unit, you will hear a crack noise when you first turn it on. Once it's going, it doesn't make a noise again.
I currently have a pair of theos, with the motif x, fx2 surrounds, svs pb12 plus 2 ultra subwoofer and the beast, 110lb lexicon rx7 7 channel amplifier with a parasound halo a21 just for 2 channel listening. Sounds amazing to say the least.
Besides recommending this projector (aside from its small issues) I highly recommend the lexicon rx, lx, or zx amplifiers. They are beyond smooth specially when connected directly to the oppo 105.
post #663 of 959 Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm seeing noticeable edge lighting, especially in the lower right hand corner on my unit, is this to be expected from SXRD?
post #664 of 959 Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pulled the 3D trigger today, 7.24.2014.

Let you know next week.
post #665 of 959 Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam View Post
I'm seeing noticeable edge lighting, especially in the lower right hand corner on my unit, is this to be expected from SXRD?
I don't think that is normal.
If you cannot get rid of "noticeable edge lighting " with a little overscan and blanking I'd consider replacing the unit.
post #666 of 959 Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
I don't think that is normal.
If you cannot get rid of "noticeable edge lighting " with a little overscan and blanking I'd consider replacing the unit.
It's not just at the very edge... when a black screen is shown the bottom of the screen and especially the corners fade to a slightly lighter black.

I assume it's the bottom because of lens shift.
post #667 of 959 Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 AM

How far into the screen does it go?
Can you see this lighter area with no signal applied ?

Are you maxing out your lens shift?
Try setting lens shift to zero.
Also try low lamp mode?
Make sure your panels are well aligned corner to corner.

I recently saw this PJ at Magnolia and the blacks were black, corner to corner.
Hopefully some owners here can comment on this.

Sounds like a defect IMO.
post #668 of 959 Old 07-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How much are bulbs for the VPL-HW40ES? Street or list, I cant seem to find any prices.

Thanks.

Wow, not cheap are they, Thanks Av_I.

Last edited by Pipelion; 07-25-2014 at 02:54 PM.
post #669 of 959 Old 07-25-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelion View Post
How much are bulbs for the VPL-HW40ES? Street or list, I cant seem to find any prices.
$250 from Projector People...
http://www.projectorpeople.com/Sony-...ccessory/26813

Most websites that sell the projector have replacement lamps on the same page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #670 of 959 Old 07-25-2014, 02:55 PM

I decided that I might as well paint the ceiling in my Theater/Mancave. The room is totally light controlled with medium green walls,is there a color other than black that will work almost as good as a black ceiling? I still use the room for other things other than watching movies.Thanks for any advice. I want to paint the ceiling this wknd so any advice will be appreciated.
post #671 of 959 Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Thanks.

Wow, not cheap are they, Thanks Av_I.
Honestly, the bulb is rated up to 5,000 hours in eco mode. Let's be conservative and say it dies at 3,000 hours, that's only 8 pennies an hour. :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 •

post #672 of 959 Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Isnt the lamp like $50 on sale on amazon from Sony? Or is that LMPH202 different for the 30ES/50ES vs the 40?
post #673 of 959 Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
I decided that I might as well paint the ceiling in my Theater/Mancave. The room is totally light controlled with medium green walls,is there a color other than black that will work almost as good as a black ceiling? I still use the room for other things other than watching movies.Thanks for any advice. I want to paint the ceiling this wknd so any advice will be appreciated.
Do you have a picture of the green color? Personally, depending on how deep the green is, I would enjoy seeing a pewter silver type color. Its more silver but with some green. Like a green/grey mix. Also, a gunmetal gray may look good. If it is more of a forest green, a deep brown would look good as well.

An idea I had to control the reflective properties of the ceiling was to use decorative cork board. They have a dark brown 48x60x1/8 (1/4, 1/2, etc thickness) nice decorative sheets that I was going to alternate between that and acoustic foam panels. It would look really nice in my opinion. Also, the brown from the boards would match the other half of my basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisx View Post
Isnt the lamp like $50 on sale on amazon from Sony? Or is that LMPH202 different for the 30ES/50ES vs the 40?
If I invest 1999 bucks in an entertainment device I would feel more comfortable using OEM equipment. The only time I would deviate from this is if there is another viable/higher performance and PROVEN bulb to replace it. I believe that, in most cases, you get what you pay for. Its like tattoos: good tattoos are not cheap. Cheap tattoos are not good. I had a buddy throw a new "OEM equivalent" ebay turbo in his subaru... turbo blew in a week and caused a lot of damage.

I have the money to replace OEM bulbs when they die. I dont have the money to replace an entire PJ from using faulty equipment :/ That and I have bad luck with stuff.

EDIT: if the bulb on Amazon is an authentic bulb and not a knockoff then yeah... that makes sense. But there are clones all over the place I bet
post #674 of 959 Old 07-26-2014, 06:32 AM
GMC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Pulled the 3D trigger today, 7.24.2014.

Let you know next week.
I don't think you'll have any regrets. This projector is very impressive. I'm impressed with the image this inexpensive device can throw. 3D, which is a new experience for me at home, is amazing. I feel like i'm at an IMAX. Enjoy!
post #675 of 959 Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=kapp_badbloodz;26051722]Do you have a picture of the green color? Personally, depending on how deep the green is, I would enjoy seeing a pewter silver type color. Its more silver but with some green. Like a green/grey mix. Also, a gunmetal gray may look good. If it is more of a forest green, a deep brown would look good as well.

An idea I had to control the reflective properties of the ceiling was to use decorative cork board. They have a dark brown 48x60x1/8 (1/4, 1/2, etc thickness) nice decorative sheets that I was going to alternate between that and acoustic foam panels. It would look really nice in my opinion. Also, the brown from the boards would match the other half of my basement.

I never even thought of using colors like Pewter,I went to home depot and they had a pewter/grey that i bought,Flat of course,so I will be painting tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!
post #676 of 959 Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I used Evening Hush flat dark grey color from Home Depot.

post #677 of 959 Old 07-26-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Folks. After much difficulty finding an LCD TV I'm happy with, I've finally arrived at considering this Sony projector. I'm a big gamer, so low input lag is very important, and I know this one is very low in that department. It also sounds like it's an amazing picture for the price.

So I just wanted to ask a few quick questions as I'm a total noob to the projector world. I would appreciate any answers, even if you want to give brief answers.

1) Is vertical or horizontal banding an issue with this projector? It's my biggest issue with LCD TVs, even Sony's 2014 models can be quite bad with this.

2) How good is general uniformity? Are the blacks equally black around the screen? Flashlighting a concern?

3) How short of a throw can I get on this model? Ideally it would be perfect if I could have it 3 feet from my wall.

4) This is a big one. The room I want to use this projector in is not completely light controlled. It can be a little bright at times, although there would be no direct light towards the screen. However, I'm not looking for a monster 100 inch image here. I'm looking at more like 70-90 inches. I've heard the smaller the image you project the brighter it is. How do you think this will work for me in daytime viewing?

5) How much would a respectable 70-90 inch screen run me? Maybe one that would help increase brightness? Would that come at a cost to the blacks?

Thanks so much for any help.

Last edited by Tigerriot; 07-27-2014 at 05:38 AM.
post #678 of 959 Old 07-27-2014, 01:07 PM

[quote=skypop;26055626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Do you have a picture of the green color? Personally, depending on how deep the green is, I would enjoy seeing a pewter silver type color. Its more silver but with some green. Like a green/grey mix. Also, a gunmetal gray may look good. If it is more of a forest green, a deep brown would look good as well.

I never even thought of using colors like Pewter,I went to home depot and they had a pewter/grey that i bought,Flat of course,so I will be painting tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!
No problem! I am glad you found something that works for you Post pics of the result I am interested in seeing your results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post
Hi Folks. After much difficulty finding an LCD TV I'm happy with, I've finally arrived at considering this Sony projector. I'm a big gamer, so low input lag is very important, and I know this one is very low in that department. It also sounds like it's an amazing picture for the price.

So I just wanted to ask a few quick questions as I'm a total noob to the projector world. I would appreciate any answers, even if you want to give brief answers.

1) Is vertical or horizontal banding an issue with this projector? It's my biggest issue with LCD TVs, even Sony's 2014 models can be quite bad with this.

2) How good is general uniformity? Are the blacks equally black around the screen? Flashlighting a concern?

3) How short of a throw can I get on this model? Ideally it would be perfect if I could have it 3 feet from my wall.

4) This is a big one. The room I want to use this projector in is not completely light controlled. It can be a little bright at times, although there would be no direct light towards the screen. However, I'm not looking for a monster 100 inch image here. I'm looking at more like 70-90 inches. I've heard the smaller the image you project the brighter it is. How do you think this will work for me in daytime viewing?

5) How much would a respectable 70-90 inch screen run me? Maybe one that would help increase brightness? Would that come at a cost to the blacks?

Thanks so much for any help.
I have yet to set up the PJ but from what I researched (over a month of deep research) this is what I concluded:

1) it really depends on the movie you're watching and the screen you decide to go with. A lot of new owners underestimate their first screen size and would have wanted bigger after seeing it on their 90" screen. My first screen is going to be between 125-135". If the banding is going to be an issue for you I suggest going bigger so you get more screen size. This PJ can handle it with some easy light control methods while not rewiring your entire room for dimming lights.

2) There are several youtube videos on video performance. Take a look at www.projectorpeople.com and check out their shootout between the 40ES and the PT-AE8000. I wanted either or of those PJs and I chose the Sony for the rebate and the better rating. Both are great PJs and if you want to save some coin since the deal is over for the Sony... the AE8000 isnt a bad choice if you want to take the extra money and say... put it toward light control.

3) http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm this will be your best friend. It is good for getting a baseline and adjusting from there. And I hope you mean 3ft from the BACK wall. I dont know if this thing will perform well being 3 feet from the viewing wall...

4) This PJ has plenty of lumen power. Its not as bright as the 5030UB and is on the same playing field as the AE8000. I think the subtle brightness enhances the picture quality without sacrificing much in the lumen department. There are some easy steps you can follow to control the lighting in the room. Painting is one of them. It reduces the amount of reflective light that bounces off the walls. This is the most drastic. You can get blackout sheets to hang on windows. You can install dimmer switches to replace your current light switches. Be creative or as obvious as you want. I saw a guy cut out a piece of carboard and stick it in the window. If you are using it sparingly you can put it up or take it down as you wish.

5)While a lot of people argue about screens... I suggest starting out low end and work your way up. A lot of DIY guys have had great results. After reading a lot of the threads in the screen section; a lot of the users suggest a low end or DIY screen setup first. This way, you enjoy the out of the box performance of the PJ initially while recouping some of your investment. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: when you get used to the image quality of the current screen and know that you can improve your current image with a better quality screen THEN upgrade. This lets your eyes adjust to the fine picture quality of the image and when you start noticing little imperfections here or there and you continually notice little things that could be improved with a better screen... upgrade. This allows you to enter the arena of PJs while saving a little coin for the next big upgrade.

I will be making a DIY screen from http://www.carlofet.com/build-your-o...jector-screen/

A lot of people like the materials he offers from low end to some high quality medium grade stuff. There are all kinds of stuff you can do to this screen to enhance it down the road. When all said and done with the screen on my wall... I will have a good 130" screen for just over 100 bucks. Look at good entry level screens at that size. They are anywhere from 250-500 bucks!

This is just my opinion. I am not expert at all and really... you probably shouldnt listen to me. This is a culmination of some of the research I have done and, in my opinion, I have made some decent choices. Some have their sacrifices (more than likely my screen) but I am okay with that because I am just starting out.

Best of luck on your endeavors. Let us know how it turns out and what you decide to do
skypop likes this.
post #679 of 959 Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 PM
GMC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This thread is awash with the sound of contentment........Quiet. Nice isn't it?
post #680 of 959 Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM

I will say that in my experience the uniformity of black over the screen is not that great. The screen is noticeably lighter around the edges, especially bottom edge and corners.
post #681 of 959 Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Best of luck on your endeavors. Let us know how it turns out and what you decide to do
Thanks for the advice Kapp. If I get a projector I'm definitely getting the ES40. Reading everything I've read it just does everything I could hope from a projector in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam View Post
I will say that in my experience the uniformity of black over the screen is not that great. The screen is noticeably lighter around the edges, especially bottom edge and corners.
That's was I was curious about. Do people ever notice vertical banding with this projector? Do LCOS systems suffer from that issue? I've done a little searching and I've seen almost nothing related to it, but I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I have one of these shipped to my home.

post #682 of 959 Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is vertical banding really a problem today? I havnt heard about it for a long time. I remember this could be an issue back in the days when I bought my Hitachi TX100, like 10-15 years ago.
post #683 of 959 Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
This thread is awash with the sound of contentment........Quiet. Nice isn't it?

Gets professionally mounted/installed tomorrow.

Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #684 of 959 Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA1 View Post
Is vertical banding really a problem today? I havnt heard about it for a long time. I remember this could be an issue back in the days when I bought my Hitachi TX100, like 10-15 years ago.
It's still a huge problem with LCD tvs.

post #685 of 959 Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post
That's was I was curious about. Do people ever notice vertical banding with this projector? Do LCOS systems suffer from that issue? I've done a little searching and I've seen almost nothing related to it, but I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I have one of these shipped to my home.
I haven't noticed any banding at all, on my particular projector.

I think that one of the causes of banding in LCDs is a difference in pixel gap between different parts of the panel, or the sum of the 3 panels. The LCOS in this projector has essentially zero gap; I can't see screen door on it even from a couple of feet away. So it's my opinion that the risk of banding on LCOS is very low. Probably not impossible, but very low.
post #686 of 959 Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Haven't been on here for a while, I have over 200 hours on my PJ and it still wows me every day! Before I would be nitpicking and looking at silly things but now I'm fully immersed in the viewing content! I got the 5.1 andrew jones speaker set now too and wow it sounds amazing, my receiver is a 5.2 so I'll be adding another sub (NXG) next to the couch for some vibrations haha

I still haven't gotten to experience 3d which is annoying because neither the ps4 nor xbox one output it but I'm sure it's impressive. I have no issues with darker or lighter corners like you guys, no banding issues or any issues, I guess I got a good projector! Plus blacks and colors are 100% uniform
post #687 of 959 Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
I still haven't gotten to experience 3d which is annoying because neither the ps4 nor xbox one output it but I'm sure it's impressive. =
Actually, Sony just released system update 1.75 for the PS4. This supports playback of 3D blu-ray discs. Update your PS4 and you are good to go.
post #688 of 959 Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Ok - for those that have not bought this PJ yet, like me.

When I went to magnolia.
A little bird told me that there would probably be another sale in August.
Just a rumor, but something to consider.

Don't blame me if it does not happen until November ;-/

I'll be waiting eagerly.
post #689 of 959 Old 07-29-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
Actually, Sony just released system update 1.75 for the PS4. This supports playback of 3D blu-ray discs. Update your PS4 and you are good to go.
nice! I just read the xbox one is getting the update next month as well! Finally I can put all these blu-rays to good use.
post #690 of 959 Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone have any experience coming from an Optoma HD33 or similar projector? I'm considering upgrading as I'm displeased with the black levels (100" 1.1 gain screen, with projector mounted roughly 13' away).

I'm happy with greyscale tracking, accurate 2.2 gamma and colors, and excellent 3D, just wish the blacks were deeper. Any similar experiences are appreciated.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page