SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 1331 Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do you guys think it's a bad idea to buy from an unauthorized seller? The prices are clearly the best going that route, but I'm told Sony won't honor their warranty. Is that really true? Part of me feels safe just taking my chances.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1331 Old 07-30-2014, 04:28 AM
GMC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

Gets professionally mounted/installed tomorrow.
Perhaps you will be able to tear yourself away from the shear joy of viewing that wonderful image, and tell us about your euphoria.
post #693 of 1331 Old 07-30-2014, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I've had the HW40 for 2+ weeks now. All I can say is wow! Coming from Sony HS20 that still worked well this is a major upgrade. I shoot a 126" screen in a light controlled environment onto a light gray screen. With settings on reference and low for bulb, blacks are outstanding! Very surprised with this supposed "weak" point. I just got multiple pairs of PS3 3D glasses sitting 15" from the screen. projector mounted 17" from the screen, works perfectly with no crosstalk. I could not be happier with this purchase. Got it directly from Sony during their sale. If you're on the fence
don't be afraid to pull the trigger, you'll never look back!
post #694 of 1331 Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
Perhaps you will be able to tear yourself away from the shear joy of viewing that wonderful image, and tell us about your euphoria.
well I have been using it ghetto mounted the last several weeks. Now I'll have the full 7.1 with wires buried. I posted up my setup before. I'll post up the final product when done.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #695 of 1331 Old 07-30-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post
Do you guys think it's a bad idea to buy from an unauthorized seller? The prices are clearly the best going that route, but I'm told Sony won't honor their warranty. Is that really true? Part of me feels safe just taking my chances.
For me, projectors are trickier. They're in the same category as printers where it seems like the chances of something going wrong are higher than say a receiver or speaker. If it were me, I'd either wait for another sale or save up the pennies.

EDIT ADD-ON: It's also an extra incentive to make sure the warranty will be honored as Sony has a 3-year warranty which is longer than most...

Last edited by chirpie; 07-31-2014 at 08:18 AM.
post #696 of 1331 Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have looked in the manual but didn't find a reference to mounting hight to top of screen. Anyone know the answer?
post #697 of 1331 Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey got a question the owners here of the 40ES. I am planning to get this projector as well. How, did you guys place this in relation to your screen?

Eg, how many inches down from the ceiling or rather center it to the screen or higher? I'll be mounting mine on the back wall, so I'll be looking for a wall mount . Ceiling height is 8 feet
post #698 of 1331 Old 07-30-2014, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used before a projector calculator, eliteprojectorcalculator that included horizontal and vertical lens shift and placement, but I can't seem to find it!
post #699 of 1331 Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem_702 View Post
I have looked in the manual but didn't find a reference to mounting hight to top of screen. Anyone know the answer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoys View Post
Hey got a question the owners here of the 40ES. I am planning to get this projector as well. How, did you guys place this in relation to your screen?

Eg, how many inches down from the ceiling or rather center it to the screen or higher? I'll be mounting mine on the back wall, so I'll be looking for a wall mount . Ceiling height is 8 feet
www.projectorcentral.com

go to the navi bar and find the calculator. it will have all the info you need to get it mounted. Also you want to keep the PJ centralized as much as possible when mounting. Use lens shift as much as possible to avoid any additional keystoning. If you ceiling mount; you basically want the bottom of the PJ to shoot almost exactly horizontally across to the viewing surface otherwise you will get a distorted image. Do a soft install and experiment with several locations until you find what works best. Remember, measure twice/cut once. Take your time installing so you're happy with your results.

I'll be home on the 5th! So this will be going up after I scout the basement, take some measurements, and order some stuff from monoprice and home depot.
post #700 of 1331 Old 07-31-2014, 12:54 PM

I have the 30ES. The manual starting at page 83 has information to help determine the mounting height. The manual is available from the Sony website. The manual for the 40ES probably has the same info. Hope this helps.

Last edited by David HT guy; 07-31-2014 at 01:01 PM.
post #701 of 1331 Old 07-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Got the projector mounted. 3D IR works fine in my seating area. I'm about 15 feet from the wall. This projector is great. Shooting a 150" screen onto an Elite Screen SableFrame.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #702 of 1331 Old 07-31-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Sweet .....!

What mount did you use and how low could it go with an extension?

I also have a vaulted ceiling but I think I'll have to go down quite a bit lower than you as I'm "considering" going with 2:35 and I'll need to get to the lens for a poor man's CIH :-(
post #703 of 1331 Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
Sweet .....!

What mount did you use and how low could it go with an extension?

I also have a vaulted ceiling but I think I'll have to go down quite a bit lower than you as I'm "considering" going with 2:35 and I'll need to get to the lens for a poor man's CIH :-(

To answer your quote and PM here...

It's a Chief universal mount. I had a professional installer do that plus all the wiring through walls in a limited attic space for $799 including equipment (minus HDMI cable I already had). They provided all speaker wire.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #704 of 1331 Old 07-31-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks
post #705 of 1331 Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Got the projector mounted. 3D IR works fine in my seating area. I'm about 15 feet from the wall. This projector is great. Shooting a 150" screen onto an Elite Screen SableFrame.

2 questions, how far back are your seats from the screen? And I have read over and over again, about how its a "waste of money" to have any projector that cost over or near 2000 dollars if you dont have a full black room. As you the thought is you are paying money to get deeper blacks, but with out a black walled room you dont get the blacks. I am curious your thoughts on this. You room is painted the exact same as mine is with the same carpet as well, so your reply will have some weight with me. Thanks in advance.
post #706 of 1331 Old 08-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
2 questions, how far back are your seats from the screen? And I have read over and over again, about how its a "waste of money" to have any projector that cost over or near 2000 dollars if you dont have a full black room. As you the thought is you are paying money to get deeper blacks, but with out a black walled room you dont get the blacks. I am curious your thoughts on this. You room is painted the exact same as mine is with the same carpet as well, so your reply will have some weight with me. Thanks in advance.
Check back with me in a couple of weeks. I still have to set up the light treatment in the room. I've had decent screen quality results. Here's a video I shot before I mounted everything and I wasn't even projecting onto a screen (just the wall).

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #707 of 1331 Old 08-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Check back with me in a couple of weeks. I still have to set up the light treatment in the room. I've had decent screen quality results. Here's a video I shot before I mounted everything and I wasn't even projecting onto a screen (just the wall).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVNtceBG08c
You have a beautiful home. Also, you have some balls of steel to trust leaving that PJ on the edge near that staircase. Knowing my luck it would get knocked over in 2.7 seconds. Looks great dude.

EDIT: is anyone shooting on a 2.35:1 screen? How do you like it?

Last edited by kapp_badbloodz; 08-01-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #708 of 1331 Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
You have a beautiful home. Also, you have some balls of steel to trust leaving that PJ on the edge near that staircase. Knowing my luck it would get knocked over in 2.7 seconds. Looks great dude.
Thanks dude. As you can see a few posts up it's mounted properly now. That projector never moved on that ledge. Even with the sub jamming. I made sure before I decided to go play with it.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #709 of 1331 Old 08-01-2014, 01:56 PM

it looks good. did your installer also route the electrical outlet and mount it up there? Did it seem very difficult if you were to do it on your own?

I love the setup. Hoping i can get mine dialed in like you did. since im renting i will have to route the wiring a little more... creatively.
post #710 of 1331 Old 08-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
it looks good. did your installer also route the electrical outlet and mount it up there? Did it seem very difficult if you were to do it on your own?

I love the setup. Hoping i can get mine dialed in like you did. since im renting i will have to route the wiring a little more... creatively.
No electrical outlet there. I can post more detailed photos in a second. He ran an approved in-wall extension cable from the projector to the closet. In the closet they made a hole where all the cabling comes out (the seven speakers, the coaxial cable, the power cable for the projector, and the HDMI cable). The stock cable is coiled around the projector/mount.

Super clean and well out of the realm of my capabilities. I'm very tech savvy and capable of wiring stuff but the way they did the install it was worth every penny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_171503.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	192073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_171516.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	192081  

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?

Last edited by Nosferatu; 08-01-2014 at 02:17 PM.
post #711 of 1331 Old 08-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVNtceBG08c
You mentioned you have a 150 inch screen, how far back is your seating from it?
post #712 of 1331 Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 PM

AH I thought the square was an outlet. That would have been nice but yeah that is a very clean install. Hopefully I can mine mounted, routed, and the screen up in a couple days once I hit leave. Then the build begins

Definitely looking forward to seeing more.
post #713 of 1331 Old 08-01-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I installed my projector and screen this past week,all I can say is WOW!!! this exceeds all my hopes on how it would look. I'm using A Elite EZFrame 120" Fixed Mount screen with the CineWhite Screen. If anybody is on the fence Jump Off! This was my first Proj/Screen undertaking,it wasn't bad at all.Like the more experienced members here say time and time again Paint your ceiling as dark as you can! I used A Hermitite Color from Home Depot,didn't want a black ceiling,walls are are dark green,not quite forest green but close. Now that I have everything up and running I can see under some pictures that i'm going to paint all the molding in my room the same color as the ceiling,the floor is a greenish color also with white mixed in( Vinyl Tiles) But i'm going to have A Dark colored carpet installed also hopefully by Labor Day. I'm shooting from about 17' away from the screen and i'm using a wall mount because with the wall mount I can get it just right below the ceiling,my seating is 13.5'. I originally was going to go with a 110" screen but went with the 120" and i'm glad I did! it fills up the space perfectly. I was never interested in 3D before but the picture is so great I ordered 2 prs. of the PS3 3D glasses today just so I can try it out,So can anybody recommend A Really Good 3D Movie to watch? even though I don't post much here I read a lot of what is suggested,and all I can say is that if it wasn't for everything I read and learned on this forum I would still be happy with my Panasonic Plasma! Thanks to all that contribute to this forum!
post #714 of 1331 Old 08-02-2014, 04:08 AM

I wonder if anyone has been able to compare the contrast performance between the 40ES and the older 30ES. I know the 40ES probably has a higher native contrast (similar to the 55ES) but I wonder whether the dynamic iris on the 30ES might compensate for that in practice.

I can currently get the 30ES on runout for about 2/3 of the price of the 40ES and half the price of the 55ES and am wondering if the newer models are really worth the extra. This would be my first projector coming from a defective F8500 plasma so I don't really know what to expect in terms of black performance. I'm happy with the performance of the F8500 if that helps.
post #715 of 1331 Old 08-02-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllogistic View Post
I wonder if anyone has been able to compare the contrast performance between the 40ES and the older 30ES. I know the 40ES probably has a higher native contrast (similar to the 55ES) but I wonder whether the dynamic iris on the 30ES might compensate for that in practice.

I can currently get the 30ES on runout for about 2/3 of the price of the 40ES and half the price of the 55ES and am wondering if the newer models are really worth the extra. This would be my first projector coming from a defective F8500 plasma so I don't really know what to expect in terms of black performance. I'm happy with the performance of the F8500 if that helps.
Remember the 40Es is brighter than the 30ES so that means you can have a longer throw, or run the projector in eco mode and save hundreds on replacement bulbs over the life of the projector.
post #716 of 1331 Old 08-02-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone direct me to the best place to buy this projector. Seems like a great projector.
post #717 of 1331 Old 08-02-2014, 09:00 AM

www.projectorpeople.com

www.sony.com (or authorized dealer like Proj People)

Someone said there might be another sale at the end of august so hold out if you can.
post #718 of 1331 Old 08-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Someone said there might be another sale at the end of august so hold out if you can.
I hope this is true! I've been quietly reading these forums for years and I think this is the projector I'm finally going to pull the trigger on. I should have gotten it during the early July sale. I won't make the same mistake twice! Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the tips and advice. Trust me: you're helping out a lot more people than you know.
post #719 of 1331 Old 08-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell78 View Post
Remember the 40Es is brighter than the 30ES so that means you can have a longer throw, or run the projector in eco mode and save hundreds on replacement bulbs over the life of the projector.
Thanks. The size of my room forces me to go fairly short throw so I will be running at low brightness anyway. Not sure I really need the added brightness of the 40ES, although I appreciate it might make perceived contrast greater.
post #720 of 1331 Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM
GMC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioadrenaline View Post
I hope this is true! I've been quietly reading these forums for years and I think this is the projector I'm finally going to pull the trigger on. I should have gotten it during the early July sale. I won't make the same mistake twice! Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the tips and advice. Trust me: you're helping out a lot more people than you know.
This is just my second projector and I was a little worried about the no iris thing but the fact of the matter is, this projector at the price it is available for is an incredible value. I don't know if others feel the same way as I but I think it throws a spectacular image. The price is such that If one decides to upgrade in the next couple of years or so, when the next big thing becomes affordable , he wont be out huge dollars. He can replace it with the next great value device that comes along. Its a lot more reasonable to live in the 90% world than the 100% one, and it doesn't break the bank or trigger buyers remorse.
Just a thought, for what its worth,
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page