SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Maybe, but if you want a valid warranty, you ( and I ) need to buy from authorized dealers.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA1 View Post
Authorized, meaning selling for the price Sony is enforcing? I don't really know but to me it smells a bit like a price cartel.
Not unusual. Bose, Apple, etc all fight to protect their distribution and supply chain.

It's also worth pointing out Sony's warranty is 3 years which is longer than most, so at least there's a real benefit attached to it.
post #783 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Authorized, meaning selling for the price Sony is enforcing? I don't really know but to me it smells a bit like a price cartel.
Crawfords is also going though Legal issues. I am surprise Amazon has not stop them from selling though them. Run away.
post #784 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just frustrating seeing manufacturers like this totally incapacitate the competition between retailers.
post #785 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, a few more observations to share. ^_^

First off, sorry if I scared anyone with the blacks observations. It's just one guy's opinion. Yes, they could be better, but in this price range, you'll not find anything appreciatively better than this. (Only minor differences such as with the Epson 5030ub being slightly better with blacks.) Also, I updated my original review post with the correct values of what I'm using. (Mostly accurate, but ever so slightly 'punchy.')

With that out of the way, some people asked about checking out some things. First off was grayscale. This is really one of the strong points of this projector (and hence it's color accuracy.)

I snapped this picture with my white balance on my camera (Nikon D7000) set at the same as the projector (6500) to give an idea of just how well it tracks. As always, take what you see with a grain of salt, but it looked pretty good to my eyes. (The introduction of slight green at the center of the pic is due to the camera capture, not what I saw in person.)

Secondly, if this projector doesn't look sharp, you're gonna have to blame your source. See below for a macro capture of a 1 by 1 pixel grid. The detail is there to be worked with. See pic below. It would be even easier to see the pixels, except we're so close now, you can see the tiny holes of the acoustically transparent screen. If you are seeing this kind of resolving power with your projector, something is amiss.

Next up, I thought I'd point something out for new owners or people who have set up their projector to be aware of. I wanted to point this out on the off chance it's contributing to the light bleed issue some people have reported. (Maybe not, but more info always helps.) The following is a REALLY overexposed clip. Let's go over the labels one by one. This is a still from Gone with the Wind, an academy ratio film (4:3) being projected on a 16x9 screen. As a result, it is pillar boxed (black bars to the left and right of the image.) I then did a horizontal lens shift to the far left to leave an area of the screen that had no projected light on it. The first arrow points to the pillar box area. The second arrow down points to the area exactly where the active pixels end. Now here comes the interesting part. There's a third zone where it looks like it gets brighter and fades off. If you've set up your projector and screen correctly, this area will be projecting on the black frame border of your screen and you will never see this light spill area. If you've used lens shift and this section is actually projecting onto your screen, you may see this area of light show up on the edges in really dark scenes. When set up correctly, this is not an issue in normal use. I just wanted to point this out for troubleshooting purposes.

I did notice something odd (In a good way) last night. I assumed focusing at my actual projected size would be easiest, but I swear, zooming in to a smaller size, getting sharp focus, and then zooming out was a better method for me. Has that happened to anyone else?

I also went ahead and watched some TV shows off Netflix, some documentaries off PBS, and even a nightly news broadcast. It varied from OK (TV news) to surprisingly great. (TV shows off Netflix.) Art of Flight off Netflix is a great example of this projector being able to reveal details my old projector couldn't. With the Sony, it was very obvious that different cameras were used in filming and the quality and type of camera quality was easy to spot. It needs to be stated again, if you're staring at a 100+ inch screen from 10 feet and the source you feeding it is of just average quality, this projector isn't going to hide that. My old projector did. This one doesn't. Garbage in, garbage out. I had a "wow" moment last night watching Tron Legacy when Sam was first transported to the grid and he was captured. The sound and picture just clicked, and there I was, smiling, just enjoying the hell out of it. I can't give a better compliment than that. (Well, I did hear a little bit of the sub chuffing, so I guess that's the next upgrade I'll need to save up for. LOL. My favorite truism on this site is... "It never ends." ^_^) Just for fun, I put up some stills I had colored corrected from RAW file pictures I had taken of my kid from a few years ago, and I gotta say, once again, great color on this projector.

OK, once again, that's all for now. lol.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	still-photo.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	201441   Click image for larger version

Name:	light-bleed.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	201449   Click image for larger version

Name:	greyscale.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	201457   Click image for larger version

Name:	1pixel.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	834.5 KB
ID:	201465  
lgans316 and mishari84 like this.

Last edited by chirpie; 08-07-2014 at 01:47 PM.
post #786 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
" Crawfords is not a Sony Authorized Retailer " - from Sony's mouth to your ears.

Beware of buying from un - authorized dealers. AV Science is an authorized Sony dealer.
Point taken and no endorsement was intended.

I was just making the point that the HW55 seems to be heading for (if not arrived at) the sub $3k category.
post #787 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I almost forgot! 3D. LOL.

I'm not 3D's biggest fan. Never have been. I'm ridiculously sensitive to crosstalk, and I've never seen a theatrical 3D presentation that I didn't wish was just a high quality 2D presentation.

Having said that, armed with the el-cheapo Sony PS3 glasses, I find the 3D respectable. Let me detail the issues that I ran into in case it helps anyone else.

Step 1: I had to buy a new receiver. LOL. Well, newish, anyway. I got a new in box Pioneer SC-63 a few months ago in anticipation for a forthcoming projector purchase. 3D supported. Check.

Step 2: Firmware update on PS3. Check.

Step 3. Buy the projector and the glasses. Check.

Now to the parts that tripped me up.

Step 4: Shut off all closed caption options on PS3. (Hiding in display options I think.) Apparently, if you have the closed caption options turned on for the PS3, 3D won't work, as in, there will be no pop-out effect. Who knew? I didn't.

Step 5: Don't manually choose your screen resolutions on the PS3. You need to let the PS3 automatically detect via HDMI or else it won't recognize the display is 3D capable. You'll know it's worked when it asks for your screen size. (The screen size setting is for games only.)

This is stuff I think most people know, but I thought I'd throw it out there...
bronxkid, mishari84 and Ftoast like this.
post #788 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Chirpie, thanks for your posts.
Would it be possible to have your old Sanyo and the Sony each shooting half the screen at the same time in the same screenshot?
Just curious to see =)
post #789 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot! 3D. LOL.

I'm not 3D's biggest fan. Never have been. I'm ridiculously sensitive to crosstalk, and I've never seen a theatrical 3D presentation that I didn't wish was just a high quality 2D presentation.

Having said that, armed with the el-cheapo Sony PS3 glasses, I find the 3D respectable. Let me detail the issues that I ran into in case it helps anyone else.

Step 1: I had to buy a new receiver. LOL. Well, newish, anyway. I got a new in box Pioneer SC-63 a few months ago in anticipation for a forthcoming projector purchase. 3D supported. Check.

Step 2: Firmware update on PS3. Check.

Step 3. Buy the projector and the glasses. Check.

Now to the parts that tripped me up.

Step 4: Shut off all closed caption options on PS3. (Hiding in display options I think.) Apparently, if you have the closed caption options turned on for the PS3, 3D won't work, as in, there will be no pop-out effect. Who knew? I didn't.

Step 5: Don't manually choose your screen resolutions on the PS3. You need to let the PS3 automatically detect via HDMI or else it won't recognize the display is 3D capable. You'll know it's worked when it asks for your screen size. (The screen size setting is for games only.)

This is stuff I think most people know, but I thought I'd throw it out there...
Why did you have to buy a new reciever for 3d. Their are BD players that have 2 HDMI outputs just for those with older receivers that do not pass 3d. One goes to the projector bypassing your receiver which I like 'less travel of the video signal and the other to your older receiver for the audio. Great for those with Higer end receivers that want to keep them. Thanks also for all your great info about the HW 40. I still might keep this on my list. Its has to be a step up from my Epson 8350 I would think.
post #790 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys! Anyone could tell me the length of the power cord?
Thanks in advance.
post #791 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepper007 View Post
Why did you have to buy a new reciever for 3d. Their are BD players that have 2 HDMI outputs just for those with older receivers that do not pass 3d. One goes to the projector bypassing your receiver which I like 'less travel of the video signal and the other to your older receiver for the audio. Great for those with Higer end receivers that want to keep them. Thanks also for all your great info about the HW 40. I still might keep this on my list. Its has to be a step up from my Epson 8350 I would think.
Well, 3D wasn't the ONLY reason. I actually entertained the idea of just buying a 4x2 matrix splitter as well, because frankly, my old receiver still sounded great. But my older receiver only had two HDMI in and (this is also a biggie) only support 1080i. (It was a Pioneer Elite vsx-72txv) So I actually got the following advantages out of it...

1. 6 HDMI inputs. No need to unplug and plug in cables when switching from Apple TV, PS3, XBOX 360, etc. Even if I bought a blu-ray player with two outputs, I'd still have this issue to mess with.

2. Being able to control the receiver with my phone. More useful than I initially thought it would be.

3. 3D and full 1080p support. I know 4K is just around the corner, but a good 4k projector that's $2,000 or less isn't. Probably at least 2 or 3 years away by my guess.

I picked up the receiver for $550 so it wasn't like I paid the original $1,300 MSRP. Plus, I was able to move the old receiver to my bedroom and the bedroom receiver to the living room, and the living room receiver to the trash. (It was an Onkyo with a bad capacitor.)

So that's the story. ;-)

EDIT ADD-ON:

Oh, btw, my neighbor across the street has an Epson 8350. It's hard to compare mine to his, because his 8350 is one of the units with a fair amount of mis-convergence/alignment. Because of that, I actually often liked my old Z4 better, which had near perfect convergence, it was that bad. Even with only shooting on an 80 inch screen, his projector's picture always seems soft at the viewing seat. (about 11 feet back.)

Last edited by chirpie; 08-07-2014 at 02:53 PM.
post #792 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone able to compare the 3D for this projector to the BenQ W1070?
post #793 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chirpie

wow wow wow.
I'm sold :-)
Beautiful looking gray scale.
And stunning pic of your beautiful child.

You should go into the review business !

The best way I know of doing focus, is to get a short throw binocular.
One that can focus at your PJ’s throw distance.
Put up a 1 Pixel pattern and go at it.
You might be able to do it with your camera if you can zoom in that much.
BTW - you can do your convergence that way too.

Thank you so much for posting the gray scale and the extra goodies.
Bachiano

P.S. Do your focus first and your convergence second.
Only use one color to focus - red is the easiest to see, followed by green and blue is the hardest.
But you probably knew that.

Last edited by Bachiano; 08-08-2014 at 09:21 AM.
post #794 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anybody here get like a "crack" noise when first turning on the projector ? Like 3 minutes after its been powered on... it makes a "cracking" noise that lasts like one second and then it doesn't do it anymore after its been on for a while ?
post #795 of 2001 Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 202
SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
Anybody here get like a "crack" noise when first turning on the projector ? Like 3 minutes after its been powered on... it makes a "cracking" noise that lasts like one second and then it doesn't do it anymore after its been on for a while ?

I'd expect that simply to be the sound of the plastic case expanding from the heat generated when the projector is warming up - this is common with projectors (and is sometimes room-temperature dependent). Not usually anything to worry about

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #796 of 2001 Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 AM

Thanks chirpie. I see now. Sounds like the new receiver was needed. Thanks for your 8350 comparsion. My 8350 throws a decent image. Pretty sharp and great color. But I know all good be better. Plus I want 3D.
post #797 of 2001 Old 08-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I had a "wow" moment last night watching Tron Legacy when Sam was first transported to the grid and he was captured. The sound and picture just clicked, and there I was, smiling, just enjoying the hell out of it. I can't give a better compliment than that. (Well, I did hear a little bit of the sub chuffing, so I guess that's the next upgrade I'll need to save up for. LOL. My favorite truism on this site is... "It never ends." ^_^)
What's that? (...sarcasm)

<-- Seaton Submersive HP+ over here That's your next upgrade. I've never heard a sub that does not distort or bottom out.

Quote:

I will agree the PS3 glasses are cheap and easy to get working. I feed the 3D content however from a HTPC. I'm hard pressed to see any crosstalk on this projector. My Aquos TV in the living room is a joke with 3D it ghosts badly. My only gripe is 2 hours plus these 3D glasses aren't the most comfortable. Have you found a way to get them more comfortable fitting? For $18.99 each though I'm not complaining. Picked up 4 of them.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #798 of 2001 Old 08-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Just frustrating seeing manufacturers like this totally incapacitate the competition between retailers.
Not sure the "minimum price" limitation really affects competition.

Most of the time, the price limitation is on advertising. The retailer can sell for whatever price they like, but simply cannot advertise a price below a certain point.

In the case of an actual minimum sales price, that actually protects _all_ the retailers.

Let's say a product wholesales for $75 and sells for $100. Retailers make $25 profit on each sale. If $100 lowest sell price, everyone makes the same amount. All retailers must do something else to differentiate from the competition... customer service, "extras" thrown in, whatever.

Now let's say that there is no minimum sell price. Retailers will get into a price war. $90, $80... some will even go to $75 and do everything to force you to buy add-on items with insane markups. They have to make their profit somehow.

Eventually, the sell price will go very close to wholesale price. Retailers will cut back on services or simply go out of business (or push products from other manufacturers with a better markup.)

This will, in turn, force manufacturers to make lower cost products which can mean less features or lower quality products.

The "price war" tactic is _one_ reason why there are no "stereo" stores around any more.
post #799 of 2001 Old 08-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree that I dislike the MAP policies. Stores should sell for whatever they want, and be allowed to advertise it. I have heard this price war thing before, and I disagree with it. The speciality A/V stores shot themselves in the foot, and caused their own demise with the attitudes and lack of willingness to change. I still remember years ago, in an AV shop, they owner would barely talk to me. Wanted nothing to do with me, and it was quiet clear. I was a younger guy, and, I knew, in his mind, I wasn't loaded, and wasn't going to drop the big bucks, he strives for in clients.

I was in his shop to look at the Kuro! I went to several stores in Toronto, and received that sort of arrogant, snooty response from almost all of them. In the end, frustrated, I just bought it online, from a store named Gibby's. They all lost money because of their attitude, not their prices. Same thing when I bought my first Sony rear projection TV wayyy back in 2000.

Its not just AV stores, its a lot of businesses. They have preconceived notions, and, that hurts them. When you are a SMB, you need to know you clients, or potential ones, but, you have to be very careful not to drive away customers because of your preconceived targets.

That said, the big manufactures shoulder a part of the blame. Rather than educate the masses to the difference in quality products, proper set-up, and price for performance, they just let stores like Futureshop and Bestcrap fill that void. Leading to what we have today.....

Am I saying all, of course not. This is just my opinion, from a 33 year old guy's perspective.

///hope I didn't derail this///
post #800 of 2001 Old 08-09-2014, 09:26 AM

Also not looking to derail, but quickly...

I am not claiming that price policies are the sole factor which changed the market, but it did have an impact.

When margins are cut to the bare bone due to price matching and price cutting, the only way a retailer or manufacturer can make money is through volume. To sell volume you need to reach the lowest common denominator. That means selling through big box stores and not specialized retailers with trained personnel.

I agree about education on quality and differences, but that contradicts your argument. If the "average" consumer cared about those things, they wouldn't be buying something because it is $10 less expensive than the alternative.

Once you turn it into a price decision, quality and service (at least at the higher end) generally go out the window.

A few manufacturers have been able to buck that trend. Apple, for example, charges a premium price (and also controls the pricing). However, their popularity suggests that people are willing to pay a premium price for a premium product (whether you believe that "premium" is real or perceived).

To bring it back to topic... Sony is another example. They typically charge a premium price (and control that pricing). However, their name lends a credibility and perception of quality to the product. Based on sales, consumers are apparently willing to pay a premium for the "Sony" name.

If Sony (or Apple, or Bose) had no controls over pricing at retail, their pricing would likely come down. Eventually, there would be no price difference between them and a theoretically lower quality competitor. Sony would lose their perception of quality and be more of a commodity. Whatever is on sale this week would sell more.

This would lead to lower margins on Sony products as they are now competing on price, rather than quality. Lower margins would mean that internal costs need to be cut - there goes quality and research for future tech. If you are competing on price - and all the shopper cares about is price - why bother using better components in your product when the consumer is evidently happy with slightly less expensive ones?

As a consumer, I can see there are downsides to manufacturer price controls. However, in a competitive market like consumer electronics, I can also see the benefit they can provide. Price wars can sometimes benefit the shopper. They can also destroy companies and even a market by turning the product into a commodity with little innovation or differentiation. Some could argue that much of consumer electronics is already there due to price wars.

Last edited by jrm21; 08-09-2014 at 09:30 AM.
post #801 of 2001 Old 08-09-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I did notice something odd (In a good way) last night. I assumed focusing at my actual projected size would be easiest, but I swear, zooming in to a smaller size, getting sharp focus, and then zooming out was a better method for me. Has that happened to anyone else?
Cool trick. I still have to ask...

In photography, this is considered a big no-no. You are supposed to zoom your lens to the desired focal length and then focus. Focusing first is not recommended because zooming could change the focus.

I am not sure if that "rule" applies in this situation.
post #802 of 2001 Old 08-09-2014, 12:56 PM

jrm21 Well said. As much as I think we kind of went off topic, the more I think about it, the less I think it true. This forum I have sent many people to. Reason, its full of experts, some who disagree with each other, but, they all share their thoughts, and it really gives you a more open insight and understanding to any product. Mind you, after some of the techno talk, I am sometimes confused to high hell, but, that's what google is for.

Anyways;
For me, right now, a question that has crossed my mind is, is this Sony worth X amount more than the Benq? For me, based solely on what people on here that I hold high respect for have said, it is. My only problem is, I cannot get a baseline on price, other than MAP. Since we all know the Benq is up and down in pricing, its hard for me to create that baseline. My room isn't going to be perfect, light walls and ceiling, and having read how light reflection could be an issue, I still choose the Sony, if its around the $1900-$2000 price mark. When it hits $2500, I start asking if it is, or, should I drop down to a B stock 30 ES, or just go with the Benq.

Here in Canada, its even harder to swallow, not sure how it is south of the border, but, we get nailed 13% right off the top in taxes, then a stupid environment fee, then shipping, (if its not included) and very quickly, you can add 20% to the cost, turning a $2500 projector, into $3000. Order it from the USA, and they ship by UPS, prepare to have a bad case of the anal bleeds. That being said, its the first time, in a long time, Sony products have NOT had a price premium in Canadian dollars over US dollars. Finally, someone is listening. (Part of me wished Canada worked on the USD, like the Euro)

This is why price talk for me, is so important. When I read someone who debated much like me, who's room is very much in the same sort of configuration, it helps me, when they say, no regrets, or fully worth the price premium.

This projector is very unique price point for Sony, and for all of us on the sidelines, waiting to jump in. Not sure if those who own it, and post here realize, but, I think many people are watching this thread, debating if the $1000 jump is worth it. For me, this isn't a question of, should I get this over the other $2000-$2500 range projectors, but the $1000 range ones. I don't know why, but when I read this was on-sale a few pages back for under 2K, that is when I went from considering Benq to this. I wonder how many others are thinking the same? It seems, and I could be wrong, we are seeing this compared in this thread to the $1000 range wayyy more than the other $2500 PJ's. Maybe Sony has something here they don't realize?

So folks, keep posting your thoughts, many of us on the sidelines are just itching to jump in for the first time. Oh, and please, hurry, football starts in a few weeks.
post #803 of 2001 Old 08-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Viper359,

I get where you are coming from. Both the Canadian and US markets have their pros and cons. You guys sometimes get the short end of the stick on purchases. Keep in mind that both our governments have plenty of ways to tax - if they don't hit you as a VAT or purchase tax, they find another way to extract your money from your pocket. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Yes, I am sure many are comparing the Sony 40ES to less expensive options. I bought mine pretty much when it was released. I paid full retail (free shipping and no sales tax). My understanding is that the recent sales brought the sale price to under $2,000 ($1,999?).

This is my first projector. I did what research I could. Reviews are fine, online advice it fine - but none of it compares to actually seeing the unit in action. Unfortunately, there was no way for me to do that. I also think (just like audio systems) the room itself is a factor, making real-life comparisons virtually impossible.

I started out looking at projectors like the Benq and others in the $1,000 range. Everything I read and the local "experts" I spoke to all agreed there are some very good projectors in that range. A local high-end AV store (which had nothing available to demo the entire time I was looking) told me I would probably be very satisfied with something like the BenQ.

Then they went on to explain the advantage and reasons to upgrade to the next level. This particular store was pushing the JVC 35 very hard - sell price >$3,000. They kept asking me to wait until they had their "new" showroom built so I could see it for my self vs other projectors. They were confident that I would easily be able to "see" the reason for the price difference. I could chalk that up to "sales pitch" but it agrees with everything I have read.

There are plenty of people happy with a $1,000 projector. Certainly enough are sold to indicate there is a market at that price point.

Then you move to the $2,000 +/- price point and have this Sony. I think most would agree it is a much better projector than a $1,000 unit. Just as most would agree that the JVC is better (for movies at least) than the Sony (But at that point you are really comparing to the next model Sony upgrade).

How much that "upgrade" is worth is a very personal issue. With no real way to really compare the various options, the choice is difficult.

In the end, YOU have to be happy with your choice. Will that extra $1,000 make it difficult to pay your electric bill next month? If you, you should get the lower priced unit or save up until the better one is not a financial burden. These things are, after all, luxury items and one should not stretch their budget (or credit limit) to get one.

Will you be second guessing your decision if you get the lower priced unit? Will you second guess if you get the Sony?

As mentioned, I bought mine at full retail, before any sales. Sure, I could find ways to spend that $500, but I am not going to sweat it. I bought the unit, am VERY happy with the quality and picture and that's the end of the story. I am not going to worry myself over a sale I missed.

This is a big purchase and it is very intimidating to buy on the blind. In the case of this unit, the reviews and user comments are almost all VERY positive. Thinking back through this thread I don't remember anyone unhappy with their purchase. There is a strong tendency to overthink something like this. Then there comes a point where you have to either pull the trigger or not.

If you can afford the Sony, I say go for it. You will definitely get a better picture than the $1,000 range projectors. If money is an issue - well that's your choice to make, based on how much of an issue the money is. Everyone's situation is different.

One more thing... on the comparison to the $1,000 range projectors vs other $2500 range units. Yes, you see that a lot. However, all the reviews of similarly priced units compare the Sony very well. I was looking at the Epson and Panasonic in the same price range and everything I read/heard gave the Sony an edge against those. (The others do have some advantages, but the Sony was usually the winner on picture).

What I think forces the comparison against less expensive units (besides the sale price) it that this project is basically considered the higher model (55?) Sony without the auto-iris. So some look at this as a $3500 range projector selling for $2500. That will cause many to ask "Should I buy a $1200 projector for $1200, or upgrade to essentially a $3500 projector for $2500 (or $2000 on sale). I think it makes it more attractive because if feels like an upgrade of two levels while only paying for a one level upgrade.

Last edited by jrm21; 08-09-2014 at 02:34 PM.
post #804 of 2001 Old 08-09-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
Viper359,

I get where you are coming from. Both the Canadian and US markets have their pros and cons. You guys sometimes get the short end of the stick on purchases. Keep in mind that both our governments have plenty of ways to tax - if they don't hit you as a VAT or purchase tax, they find another way to extract your money from your pocket. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Yes, I am sure many are comparing the Sony 40ES to less expensive options. I bought mine pretty much when it was released. I paid full retail (free shipping and no sales tax). My understanding is that the recent sales brought the sale price to under $2,000 ($1,999?).

This is my first projector. I did what research I could. Reviews are fine, online advice it fine - but none of it compares to actually seeing the unit in action. Unfortunately, there was no way for me to do that. I also think (just like audio systems) the room itself is a factor, making real-life comparisons virtually impossible.

I started out looking at projectors like the Benq and others in the $1,000 range. Everything I read and the local "experts" I spoke to all agreed there are some very good projectors in that range. A local high-end AV store (which had nothing available to demo the entire time I was looking) told me I would probably be very satisfied with something like the BenQ.

Then they went on to explain the advantage and reasons to upgrade to the next level. This particular store was pushing the JVC 35 very hard - sell price >$3,000. They kept asking me to wait until they had their "new" showroom built so I could see it for my self vs other projectors. They were confident that I would easily be able to "see" the reason for the price difference. I could chalk that up to "sales pitch" but it agrees with everything I have read.

There are plenty of people happy with a $1,000 projector. Certainly enough are sold to indicate there is a market at that price point.

Then you move to the $2,000 +/- price point and have this Sony. I think most would agree it is a much better projector than a $1,000 unit. Just as most would agree that the JVC is better (for movies at least) than the Sony (But at that point you are really comparing to the next model Sony upgrade).

How much that "upgrade" is worth is a very personal issue. With no real way to really compare the various options, the choice is difficult.

In the end, YOU have to be happy with your choice. Will that extra $1,000 make it difficult to pay your electric bill next month? If you, you should get the lower priced unit or save up until the better one is not a financial burden. These things are, after all, luxury items and one should not stretch their budget (or credit limit) to get one.

Will you be second guessing your decision if you get the lower priced unit? Will you second guess if you get the Sony?

As mentioned, I bought mine at full retail, before any sales. Sure, I could find ways to spend that $500, but I am not going to sweat it. I bought the unit, am VERY happy with the quality and picture and that's the end of the story. I am not going to worry myself over a sale I missed.

This is a big purchase and it is very intimidating to buy on the blind. In the case of this unit, the reviews and user comments are almost all VERY positive. Thinking back through this thread I don't remember anyone unhappy with their purchase. There is a strong tendency to overthink something like this. Then there comes a point where you have to either pull the trigger or not.

If you can afford the Sony, I say go for it. You will definitely get a better picture than the $1,000 range projectors. If money is an issue - well that's your choice to make, based on how much of an issue the money is. Everyone's situation is different.

One more thing... on the comparison to the $1,000 range projectors vs other $2500 range units. Yes, you see that a lot. However, all the reviews of similarly priced units compare the Sony very well. I was looking at the Epson and Panasonic in the same price range and everything I read/heard gave the Sony an edge against those. (The others do have some advantages, but the Sony was usually the winner on picture).

What I think forces the comparison against less expensive units (besides the sale price) it that this project is basically considered the higher model (55?) Sony without the auto-iris. So some look at this as a $3500 range projector selling for $2500. That will cause many to ask "Should I buy a $1200 projector for $1200, or upgrade to essentially a $3500 projector for $2500 (or $2000 on sale). I think it makes it more attractive because if feels like an upgrade of two levels while only paying for a one level upgrade.

as someone who had a very nice $1000 projector comparable to the Benq and have upgraded to the JVC RS-46 (the X35) I can tell you that it is NOT a sales pitch. it's a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE upgrade over the $1000 models. it was the best $2800 I spent in my HT since building my speakers
post #805 of 2001 Old 08-09-2014, 03:57 PM

This thing is a light canon though correct? Art over at projector reviews wouldn't stop calling the epson one, but, if I understand, this thing is just as bright, dialed in correct?
post #806 of 2001 Old 08-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post
This thing is a light canon though correct? Art over at projector reviews wouldn't stop calling the epson one, but, if I understand, this thing is just as bright, dialed in correct?
I have no basis for comparison. That said, I would probably call this a light canon.

My room is currently unfinished. I was projecting onto a primed sheetrock wall. Wall, ceiling and floor were all white. Room is about 13' wide and 9.5ft high. Projector mounted 16' from wall and projecting an image about 12' wide. Room is light controlled (pitch black).

The light from the projector image in the above situation lit up the room fairly well (created a good deal of ambient light).

Here are some movies I watched and my impressions - in this unfinished, less than ideal room. Eco mode was _not_ used and the projector is not yet calibrated in any way. Configuration is "out of the box." The room will be finished in the next few weeks and will properly set up the projector then.

The Hobbit (desolation of Smaug) 3D - excellent. This is a fairly dark movie to start and the 3D effect cuts down on light.

Avengers 3D - excellent. While not as card as the

Chronicles of Riddick 2D- excellent.

Skyfall 2D- excellent. The opening scene with the chase on top of the train seemed a little bright. I imagine eco mode would solve that. Again, I am working with white walls, ceiling and floor so that is helping to reflect light. After that opening, things seemed much better. Dark scenes were all fantastic.

Too much light is better than not enough. You can always use a ND density filter is needed. I don't think that would be an issue with this projector unless you are working with a very reflective room. Again, I was dealing with all white and didn't consider it much of an issue except on one very bright scene.
post #807 of 2001 Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Has anyone else noticed vertical lines bleeding on black like this.

And this

Anyone know what this is and is it normal ?
post #808 of 2001 Old 08-10-2014, 12:26 PM

What is the first pic from ?
do you have the original?
try it in a different monitor - that might be the way it is ?

Second image is internal pattern so it might be normal - a reference center line.
After you are happy with setting up your pj pic, blanking should get rid of that line.

I don't have my pj yet.
I'm sure some one here that has one will check for you.

BTW it is really hard to see what you are talking about in my computer monitor.
Had to put images in iPhoto and increase saturation, exposure and shadow detail to see it.

Last edited by Bachiano; 08-10-2014 at 02:34 PM.
post #809 of 2001 Old 08-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
What is the first pic from ?
do you have the original?
try it in a different monitor - that might be the way it is ?

Second image is internal pattern so it might be normal - a reference center line.
After you are happy with setting up your pj pic, blanking should get rid of that line.

I don't have my pj yet.
I'm sure some one here that has one will check for you.

BTW it is really hard to see what you are talking about in my computer motor.
Had to put images in iPhoto and increase saturation, exposure and shadow detail to see it.
I made both these picture in Photoshop because it wont show up on my phone camera the first picture is from anchorman 2 where the vertical lines are on the text the line bleeds into the black.

If I put a white square in the middle of all black it looks a little bit like this although not as bad I've made it brighter here so you can see it.

Here the anchorman one brighter too it does this on everything but unless you stand right next to the screen you cant see it but with big letters like in the anchorman title it can be seen from where I sit its not the source because the projectors own text has this as well if I have nothing plugged in the HDMI 1/2 text "bleeds" in the same way but as you move back from the screen you cant see it.

Last edited by coopson; 08-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.
post #810 of 2001 Old 08-10-2014, 03:16 PM

I don't think it should do that.
But maybe it is a settings issue.
Can you post your settings ?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page