SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 907 Old 08-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Senior Member
 
coopson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
I don't think it should do that.
But maybe it is a settings issue.
Can you post your settings ?
Not the settings tried changing them all and resetting to defaults.
coopson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 907 Old 08-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Bill Cruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Washington, DC metro area, USA
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
Anybody here get like a "crack" noise when first turning on the projector ? Like 3 minutes after its been powered on... it makes a "cracking" noise that lasts like one second and then it doesn't do it anymore after its been on for a while ?
Nope. I don't get anything like that on my review unit (Review coming in WSR #188 for September). In fact so quiet I have to put my hand over the fan to see if any hot air is blowing out (can't hear the fan). This is one quiet projector (3 feet from my head).

Also, someone earlier referred to it as a "light cannon." It is. Easily used with full ambient lighting in low light mode (eco). At least on my Day-Lite Hi Power (2.4 Gain) 110" diagonal screen. 62 fL compared to 55 fL on the VPL-HW30ES.

Bill Cruce
Widescreen Review

Last edited by Bill Cruce; 08-10-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: additional comment
Bill Cruce is offline  
post #813 of 907 Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 3,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post
I made both these picture in Photoshop because it wont show up on my phone camera the first picture is from anchorman 2 where the vertical lines are on the text the line bleeds into the black.

If I put a white square in the middle of all black it looks a little bit like this although not as bad I've made it brighter here so you can see it.
I have a question.... where the projector is mounted, is the lens very close to a reflective surface? I could replicated vertical lines in white if I had shifted my lens up too high towards the ceiling.
chirpie is offline  
post #814 of 907 Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
YONEXSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Newmarket, Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone upgraded to the VPL-HW40 or VPL-HW55 recently from the HW15?

Was it worth it?
Do you see a big difference in 2D quality? 3D I don't care about

I am at the end of my 2nd bulb and the projector is mostly used for kids movies & the XBONE

Wonderingif the picture quality is worth the expense, as I would like better blacks/contrast in darker scenes, but the kids don't care. It has been a great machine for gaming
YONEXSP is offline  
post #815 of 907 Old 08-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Member
 
barleyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post
Not the settings tried changing them all and resetting to defaults.
Is the lens clean? I had that exact problem on my old projector (HC4900), and cleaning the lens fixed it.
barleyguy is online now  
post #816 of 907 Old 08-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Member
 
cmunro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wink Cable setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by krectus View Post
as stupid as it sounds, it would be really great if they offered an option to have the cable inputs on the other side. The right side is the worst for my setup.
I totally agree on that one (why?).Other than that I'm really happy with the projector. You really have to feed this thing quality it demands it. I'm using an old Omni TV mount/shelf in line with the top of the da-lite 110" screen about 18" off center 12 feet back. I'm going to purchase the Samsung with the dual outputs so I can bypass my old receiver already have the ps3 glasses can't wait to watch a 3d movie!! Good luck with your setup.
cmunro is offline  
post #817 of 907 Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
coopson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
Is the lens clean? I had that exact problem on my old projector (HC4900), and cleaning the lens fixed it.
Looks clean and I don't think its that as I noticed it on the HDMI text when it was brand new but I thought it was just because it was on a wall.

If I use this Pic:



It looks like this:


lll

Here's a pic of what my HDMI text looks like ignore the bloom its the way the text smears on the vertical lines.






Last edited by coopson; 08-11-2014 at 06:27 PM.
coopson is offline  
post #818 of 907 Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
try a different input.
try a different resolution.
try a different hdmi calble
try bypassing the receiver.

If these don't get rid of those lines call Sony.
Bachiano is offline  
post #819 of 907 Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 AM
Member
 
jrm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For anyone who is on the fence or waiting for this projector to go on sale...

Amazon now has the HW40ES on sale for under $2,000.
jrm21 is offline  
post #820 of 907 Old 08-12-2014, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
For anyone who is on the fence or waiting for this projector to go on sale...

Amazon now has the HW40ES on sale for under $2,000.
Been at that price on Amazon for several weeks - but beware; I don't think those suppliers are Sony-authorized dealers; which means Sony may not honor the warranty if purchased from a non-authorized dealer.

There're unconfirmed rumors that there may be another 'official' sale later in the month.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
kreeturez is offline  
post #821 of 907 Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 AM
Senior Member
 
coopson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
try a different input.
try a different resolution.
try a different hdmi calble
try bypassing the receiver.

If these don't get rid of those lines call Sony.
So is this not a normal optical thing then its not any of those things you've posted above because it shows it with nothing plugged into the projector on the hdmi text and test patten.

So is no one else getting this on the anchorman 2 title ? here's the last picture brightened up.


Last edited by coopson; 08-12-2014 at 05:46 AM.
coopson is offline  
post #822 of 907 Old 08-12-2014, 05:23 AM
Member
 
jrm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Been at that price on Amazon for several weeks - but beware; I don't think those suppliers are Sony-authorized dealers; which means Sony may not honor the warranty if purchased from a non-authorized dealer.

There're unconfirmed rumors that there may be another 'official' sale later in the month.
Sorry - my bad.

I knew people were waiting for an August sale. I just received a notice from Amazon about the price and thought that was the sale.

You are right about authorized distributors - definitely verify the dealer. It stinks to have a problem and then get stuck with no warranty.
jrm21 is offline  
post #823 of 907 Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Senior Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
Sorry - my bad.

I knew people were waiting for an August sale. I just received a notice from Amazon about the price and thought that was the sale.

You are right about authorized distributors - definitely verify the dealer. It stinks to have a problem and then get stuck with no warranty.
All good

If it does go on sale, it'll likely be sold at sale-price from most authorized dealers - the local AVSForum shop comes to mind; as does ProjectorPeople.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
kreeturez is offline  
post #824 of 907 Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson View Post
So is this not a normal optical thing then its not any of those things you've posted above because it shows it with nothing plugged into the projector on the hdmi text and test patten.So is no one else getting this on the anchorman 2 title ? here's the last picture brightened up.

So now you've isolated the problem to your pj.

is it optical or electronic problem ?
It is not an optical problem because those vertical lines are too precise and go up and down till your screen ends as far as I can tell.
It is an electronic problem , IMHO , because those vertical lines are too precise and go up and down till your screen ends as far as I can tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2zgycnd.jpg (73.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg bf2vqc.jpg (156.3 KB, 16 views)
Bachiano is offline  
post #825 of 907 Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
coopson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachiano View Post
So now you've isolated the problem to your pj.

is it optical or electronic problem ?
It is not an optical problem because those vertical lines are too precise and go up and down till your screen ends as far as I can tell.
It is an electronic problem , IMHO , because those vertical lines are too precise and go up and down till your screen ends as far as I can tell.
Those are just example picture's done in paint the last three are from a camera I don't know what it is but there is no horizontal "bleeding whats so ever if I block out the text/square with my hand the lines remain so its not a reflection or something like that.

So do i take it nobody else has this issue and its not a normal LCoS trait ?

This picture is the best I could do looks like its getting darker near the top isn't like that in person.


Just pointing it out it does this on any text/object on black on small things I cant see it from where I sit but the bigger it is the worse it gets as the anchorman 2 text pans into shot I can see the lines following the text I'm using a 16:9 screen too see I see it all the way through the black bars too.

Anyone tried having a look maybe its something you've never noticed I've email Sony I'll see what they say I don't really want to send it off to them just for them to turn around and say that's normal.

Last edited by coopson; 08-12-2014 at 01:07 PM.
coopson is offline  
post #826 of 907 Old 08-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Bachiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry - not normal - IMHO

I don't think you would accept the phenomenon you are experiencing in any other display technology.
I know I would not.
So why accept it in LCoS.

I'm sure some owners will shine in soon.
Bachiano is offline  
post #827 of 907 Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Newbie
 
bplufkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had mine for a couple weeks and it's still sitting in a box. It's killing me but my HT project is not complete yet. Trying to decide on a proper screen. This is my third projector and 3rd screen since I got the bug about 8 years ago (I guess I move a lot). Any thoughts? I'm elbows deep into research on the one and only Mississippi Man's DIY paint right now but I thought I'd see what you owners think. Thanks!
bplufkin is online now  
post #828 of 907 Old 08-14-2014, 02:59 AM
Newbie
 
Maarten110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

quick question here concerning "image noise"in the HW40-picture.

i am currently looking at my first PJ and sa the Epson 4030, HW40 en HW55. I pefer the SXRD look of Sony so its between 40 and 55.

But.......during the shootout at a local dealer i found the 40 has much more image noise. Because i was not the only viewer i didnt get a change to see the same scene on the 55 but it looked like the 55 didn't give any noise at all.

I contacted Art (projectorreviews.com) and he give extra attention to this issue in his 40-review
http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...nd-image-noise

Any thought on this? Did more of you see the 40/55 and noticed image noise on the 40 where the 55 didn't?
Maarten110 is offline  
post #829 of 907 Old 08-14-2014, 04:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplufkin View Post
I've had mine for a couple weeks and it's still sitting in a box. It's killing me but my HT project is not complete yet. Trying to decide on a proper screen. This is my third projector and 3rd screen since I got the bug about 8 years ago (I guess I move a lot). Any thoughts? I'm elbows deep into research on the one and only Mississippi Man's DIY paint right now but I thought I'd see what you owners think. Thanks!

I think One who has a pj as good as the HW40 deserves a decent sceen. I tested many screen. Have own a Carada for years and it is great for the money. But their are even better values out their. I just got a Silver Ticket 125in 2.35 and it is just excellent. And it only cost $330. So their are many good values out their.
hotpepper007 is online now  
post #830 of 907 Old 08-14-2014, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nosferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I noticed that problem on my projector too. Good news is I can localize it to certain sources and certain screens. It is bizarre but I don't notice it on actual content I care about. Look on the right side as you go up it pinches in a small amount. This is on a 150" screen.

Source I duplicated it on was my XBMC client on a particular screen. Go to a different screen within same program and same source, it's not there. Weird...

Watch a movie within program or regular TV...fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp.JPG (59.2 KB, 60 views)

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
Nosferatu is online now  
post #831 of 907 Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Got everything all set up. I made my screen too big but it still looks really really good.

Everything meshes really nice and I can control everything through my PS4. I did have to cut a 4x5 hole so the PJ could shoot through and hit the screen. All in all I'm very pleased and am amazed at what this thing can do.

I couldn't find "eco" mode for the lamp but I set it on low fighting that was the same thing. Have of set on reference and am happy with it right out of the box. I got the Disney Wow disk so I'll toss that in later on and play around with everything.

I got some pics but need to transfer them. I'll post them up in a few
kapp_badbloodz is offline  
post #832 of 907 Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nosferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
I couldn't find "eco" mode for the lamp but I set it on low fighting that was the same thing. Have of set on reference and am happy with it right out of the box. I got the Disney Wow disk so I'll toss that in later on and play around with everything.

I got some pics but need to transfer them. I'll post them up in a few
Cinema Black Pro is what it's under (or something like that). I don't have the PJ on now to check.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
Nosferatu is online now  
post #833 of 907 Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Cinema Black Pro is what it's under (or something like that). I don't have the PJ on now to check.
Yeah that's what "low" was under. Maybe I have a newer model.

Watching the movie "Predators" which is a pretty dark movie and the blacks are great. Even typing this on my phone makes the light overbearing.

This thing is great. Battlefield 4 is absolutely a blast to play and is incredibly immersing. Life=gone.
kapp_badbloodz is offline  
post #834 of 907 Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nosferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Yeah that's what "low" was under. Maybe I have a newer model.

Watching the movie "Predators" which is a pretty dark movie and the blacks are great. Even typing this on my phone makes the light overbearing.

This thing is great. Battlefield 4 is absolutely a blast to play and is incredibly immersing. Life=gone.
Football starting soon...= life gone. Last night playing around with it. Finally got the room pitch black. This is with a back light on or else the photo wouldn't show anything...

150" and football = win


My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
Nosferatu is online now  
post #835 of 907 Old 08-15-2014, 05:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Tom899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Football starting soon...= life gone. Last night playing around with it. Finally got the room pitch black. This is with a back light on or else the photo wouldn't show anything...

150" and football = win

Looks great! My screen will be 142" with the HW40ES. May I ask what you set the throw distance at. It was recommended to me to set it at around 14' to optimize brightness. I have the room to set it at any distance I want so looking for users opinions?

-Tom
Tom899 is offline  
post #836 of 907 Old 08-15-2014, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nosferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
Looks great! My screen will be 142" with the HW40ES. May I ask what you set the throw distance at. It was recommended to me to set it at around 14' to optimize brightness. I have the room to set it at any distance I want so looking for users opinions?
IIRC it's about 15-16 feet back. I have it on eco mode (low brightness) and it's plenty bright. I have the room pretty dark now. All lights off and projector off I cannot see my hand in front of me.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
Nosferatu is online now  
post #837 of 907 Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Tom899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
IIRC it's about 15-16 feet back. I have it on eco mode (low brightness) and it's plenty bright. I have the room pretty dark now. All lights off and projector off I cannot see my hand in front of me.

That's great, gives me confidence that the projector is plenty bright.

-Tom
Tom899 is offline  
post #838 of 907 Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Football starting soon...= life gone. Last night playing around with it. Finally got the room pitch black. This is with a back light on or else the photo wouldn't show anything...

150" and football = win
Nosferatu, that looks good. How does football look on that big screen? Does the image seem "clear" and from your seating distance, does it look comparable to a TV?

When I had on a game, it just seemed a bit smeary and not very sharp at all (sharpness at min and RC off). I have until tomorrow to return mine and I've been racking my brain over if my expectations were too high or if I might have a bad unit.

tcramer is offline  
post #839 of 907 Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Member
 
barleyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
Looks great! My screen will be 142" with the HW40ES. May I ask what you set the throw distance at. It was recommended to me to set it at around 14' to optimize brightness. I have the room to set it at any distance I want so looking for users opinions?
The HW40 has almost no difference in brightness between the closest spot and the mid-point, according to measurements by Art at Projector Reviews. I'd probably go closer to the center range, because it gives you more ability to zoom out if you need to, and gives a shallower angle for lens shift if you need to use it.

The center point for 142" diagonal is about 17 feet, BTW.

Last edited by barleyguy; 08-15-2014 at 08:25 AM.
barleyguy is online now  
post #840 of 907 Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Does anyone kmow how far back the HW40 would have to be for a 125in 2.35 screen. Thanks Bob
hotpepper007 is online now  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off