SONY VPL-HW40ES : New SONY SXRD 1080P home theater projector - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 3531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepper007 View Post
Does anyone kmow how far back the HW40 would have to be for a 125in 2.35 screen. Thanks Bob
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...ulator-pro.htm

The center point is around 16 feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 3531 Old 08-15-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Nosferatu, that looks good. How does football look on that big screen? Does the image seem "clear" and from your seating distance, does it look comparable to a TV?

When I had on a game, it just seemed a bit smeary and not very sharp at all (sharpness at min and RC off). I have until tomorrow to return mine and I've been racking my brain over if my expectations were too high or if I might have a bad unit.
Have you had a chance to throw up test patterns or best case scenario material? I know we sort of went over this before, but it would help with a logical progression/deduction.

1. Test patterns to calibrate (not all recommended settings work perfectly from one unit to another) = Proceed to best case scenario material

2. If best case scenario material looks good = Unit is fine

3. If unit is fine = Provided sources for TV is at fault and your problem will persist with any higher quality display that provides a large image with you sitting close.

If you've got a slightly compressed 720p signal coming in from a broadcaster, it's not going to stand up to 100+ inches at 10 feet away. If you have a nice 1080i image and it isn't being compressed too badly, and the broadcaster hasn't mucked up the signal in some fashion, then at the very least, when there isn't much motion going on, the picture should be at least pretty good.

I don't envy your decision as you're sort of in a "I don't know what I don't know" situation.
Doctor_Zaius likes this.
post #843 of 3531 Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Nosferatu, that looks good. How does football look on that big screen? Does the image seem "clear" and from your seating distance, does it look comparable to a TV?

When I had on a game, it just seemed a bit smeary and not very sharp at all (sharpness at min and RC off). I have until tomorrow to return mine and I've been racking my brain over if my expectations were too high or if I might have a bad unit.
looked fine to me. Looks like I'm watching regular HDTV.

I used a test disc to fine tweak the TV. Also used a lens filter to color calibrate it. I'm no expert in that category but got the picture looking really nice.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #844 of 3531 Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepper007 View Post
Does anyone kmow how far back the HW40 would have to be for a 125in 2.35 screen. Thanks Bob
I'm between 13.75 and 14 feet hitting roughly 115". It will be easy to do 125" at that distance with zoom + maybe a foot max.

I made my screen about 3 inches too big. Roughly the distance of the pine I used. But it gets close at a little over 13 feet.

As native 16:9 you'll be adjusting the zoom going from that to 2.35. CS would look nice but for my purposes it wasn't realistic. Plan to watch a lot of movies?
post #845 of 3531 Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelion View Post
Pulled the 3D trigger today, 7.24.2014.

Let you know next week.

Well, too much to put in one post. ( 8.15.2014 ) Two weeks watching it.

Love; .................................................. .................... Hate;

3D................................................ .......................... Directors who cant shoot 3D movies
Cost of PJ. .................................................. ....... ... Manual lens control.
Look of PJ................................................ .... PJ will do Anamorphic stretch but not in 3D!!

Cant stop watching 3D movies. ............................... Cant stop watching 3D movies
Looks great with 2D too.
Brightness, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but in 3D it still could be brighter.

First off this is a work of ART for $2K. This baby ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive seen my Avatar BR 10 times and never really saw it, until this little 40ES showed me 3D Avatar,,,,WOW... A new movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW. You GO VPL-HW40ES.

Last night Stalingrad and GI Joe both in 3D were very cool!!!!!!!!

I know very little about this PJ. But I like-love it.

Be well,

Allan

Last edited by Pipelion; 08-15-2014 at 07:40 PM.
post #846 of 3531 Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

3D takes some getting used to.
Im watching on a very big screen 165 inch dia. 12 foot wide 7 foot tall from about 7-8 feet.

This puppy can really bring my Da lite high power to life. It really shines.

I ll post some mini movies when I can stop watching 3D and great2D. Maybe in a year.

If you can pull the trigger,,,,,,,do!
post #847 of 3531 Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Have you had a chance to throw up test patterns or best case scenario material? I know we sort of went over this before, but it would help with a logical progression/deduction.

1. Test patterns to calibrate (not all recommended settings work perfectly from one unit to another) = Proceed to best case scenario material

2. If best case scenario material looks good = Unit is fine

3. If unit is fine = Provided sources for TV is at fault and your problem will persist with any higher quality display that provides a large image with you sitting close.

If you've got a slightly compressed 720p signal coming in from a broadcaster, it's not going to stand up to 100+ inches at 10 feet away. If you have a nice 1080i image and it isn't being compressed too badly, and the broadcaster hasn't mucked up the signal in some fashion, then at the very least, when there isn't much motion going on, the picture should be at least pretty good.

I don't envy your decision as you're sort of in a "I don't know what I don't know" situation.
Thanks for all your advice, Chirpie. I ended up returning the unit tonight. In the end, I think I'm just going to hold off for a few months and see if the fall brings anything new.

I think the last straw was watching the PGA championship last weekend. This was a CBS 1080i broadcast that looked flawless on my VT50, but on the projector it was still just not up to par, even from 15' away. I had also watched Divergent and Lone Ranger on blu-ray and they just gave off more of an upscaled dvd look than anything, and neither of these are a slouch in the PQ department.

If there is another sale, maybe I will give this one another shot as I really want to like it given all of the glowing reviews on here. If I do, I think I will upgrade to a Stewart screen as well.

post #848 of 3531 Old 08-15-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Diggin' that stand. If for some reason I have to wall mount I will look for something sleek like this. Very nice setup. Also, if you want to clean up some of those wires going to the projector:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-W...210757&cj=true
I LOVE that stand, not just because I think it looks great, but it solves a two issues for me - how to get power to the projector, and how I can avoid replacing our much loved ceiling fan.

Looky here!
post #849 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Thanks for all your advice, Chirpie. I ended up returning the unit tonight. In the end, I think I'm just going to hold off for a few months and see if the fall brings anything new.

I think the last straw was watching the PGA championship last weekend. This was a CBS 1080i broadcast that looked flawless on my VT50, but on the projector it was still just not up to par, even from 15' away. I had also watched Divergent and Lone Ranger on blu-ray and they just gave off more of an upscaled dvd look than anything, and neither of these are a slouch in the PQ department.

If there is another sale, maybe I will give this one another shot as I really want to like it given all of the glowing reviews on here. If I do, I think I will upgrade to a Stewart screen as well.
It really does sound like that was probably the best choice. Not sure where things went awry, but $2k+ is too much money to be underwhelmed. Good luck to you sir!

Last edited by chirpie; 08-16-2014 at 07:21 AM.
post #850 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

OmniMount ECSB Component Shelf Walmart online
I'm considering this mount (Omnimount ECSB), but I'm concerned about the fact that it swivels. Did you figure out a way to keep it from doing that?

Thanks.
post #851 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeredith View Post
I'm considering this mount (Omnimount ECSB), but I'm concerned about the fact that it swivels. Did you figure out a way to keep it from doing that?

Thanks.
yeah tighten the nut for the swivel

Totaldac D1 Dual / D1 Server
NOS Valves VRD Mono Blocks
Speakers Harbeth SHL5
Cables : Antipodes Komako Totaldac D1 USB
HT :Sony VPL-HW40ES 100" Elite Onkyo TX-NR5007 (4) XL-12's (1) XL-23 SVS PB-12 Plus
post #852 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 AM

Thanks. I read where some other people were concerned that wasn't a good enough solution. The shelf looks great.
post #853 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm considering this projector and was hoping someone could check my math. I have used the calculator and think it will work with my current setup, but a second opinion from someone with real-world experience is always nice.

Screen: 135" diagonal
Distance from center of mount: 14.5 ft
The mount is centered horizontally, and is just a few inches under an 8 ft ceiling

According to the calculator, this will use up most of the zoom range, but it should work. If I understand the reviews correctly I should also have a picture that is at least as bright as my current Epson 8350--which I run in its dimmest "cinema" mode all the time, as it is a light-controlled room.

Also, can anyone think of a reason this OmniMount universal would not work on the Sony? It seems darn near infinitely configurable and as long as the Sony has 4 mounting holes it should be OK... I think.

Thank you kindly for the feedback!
post #854 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
...I think the last straw was watching the PGA championship last weekend. This was a CBS 1080i broadcast that looked flawless on my VT50, but on the projector it was still just not up to par, even from 15' away...
This scares me a little. I have a 65VT50 (which I adore) but I'm getting greedy - I now also want the big-screen 2.35 look; bigger than the Panasonic plasma can give me.

Currently planning to manually zoom out to 2.35 for blu-rays, and would also LIKE to watch sports on this projector.

Worried my Panny Plasma has ruined me for projectors. Why couldn't I have just bought a crappy flat panel a few years ago instead of a nice one...
post #855 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeredith View Post
Thanks. I read where some other people were concerned that wasn't a good enough solution. The shelf looks great.
I bought this shelf in preparation of ordering this PJ. I already mounted it and it looks fantastic IMO. And I was able to tighten the shelf to where it doesn't move. I think you will be very satisfied with it.
post #856 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bass View Post
I bought this shelf in preparation of ordering this PJ. I already mounted it and it looks fantastic IMO. And I was able to tighten the shelf to where it doesn't move. I think you will be very satisfied with it.
Thanks!
post #857 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Zaius View Post
This scares me a little. I have a 65VT50 (which I adore) but I'm getting greedy - I now also want the big-screen 2.35 look; bigger than the Panasonic plasma can give me.

Currently planning to manually zoom out to 2.35 for blu-rays, and would also LIKE to watch sports on this projector.

Worried my Panny Plasma has ruined me for projectors. Why couldn't I have just bought a crappy flat panel a few years ago instead of a nice one...
I have a vt25 and I am very happy with this projector. I was worried about the same thing.

I was most worried about brightness and contrast. I'm not a black level snob, but probably spoiled.

I am shooting 120 inches on a grey wall(no screen yet) and wowed by the picture of bluray. The sharpness and lack of screen door reminds me very much of my panny. The excellent color accuracy is also comparable. Even on the grey wall it's plenty bright. Motion is about the only noticeable downfall compared to my panny, but turning motion flow on low seems to make most things fluid enough without soap Oprah affect.

I do think source quality is more important on the projector though. Anything that has compression is going to show up on a huge screen.

Last edited by thejoshster; 08-16-2014 at 07:29 PM.
post #858 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Honestly, if I were you I would not hesitate to get this one. Everyone has had nothing but great things to say about this projector. It's quite possible I received a lemon as like I said, even Blu-rays didn't look too great. There's been a rumor it may be going on sale again at the end of August, so if you can wait a week or 2 it might save you a few bucks.

post #859 of 3531 Old 08-16-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the same TV and love it, I've learned to calibrate and believe at this point I have a pretty accurate VT50. But I've always wanted a projector so... we're looking at a projector as a possible size upgrade. Went and demoed the Sony at Magnolia today. The demo movie was Pacific Rim, during the first Jaeger/Kaiju fight. Plenty of dark rainy scenes to judge along with switching to the interior of the Jaeger with whites and vivid colors. We had the salesman shut off the lights and close the doors, with a small amount of light coming into the demo room the images was fantastic. Blacks were very good, there was plenty of detail, and the OTTB picture was pretty damn accurate. There was really nothing there to change my mind from making the change. I do plan on putting an iscan duo in front of it as well, so I'm expecting excellent results when all is said and done.

Looky here!
post #860 of 3531 Old 08-17-2014, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
I'm considering this projector and was hoping someone could check my math. I have used the calculator and think it will work with my current setup, but a second opinion from someone with real-world experience is always nice.

Screen: 135" diagonal
Distance from center of mount: 14.5 ft
The mount is centered horizontally, and is just a few inches under an 8 ft ceiling

According to the calculator, this will use up most of the zoom range, but it should work. If I understand the reviews correctly I should also have a picture that is at least as bright as my current Epson 8350--which I run in its dimmest "cinema" mode all the time, as it is a light-controlled room.

Also, can anyone think of a reason this OmniMount universal would not work on the Sony? It seems darn near infinitely configurable and as long as the Sony has 4 mounting holes it should be OK... I think.

Thank you kindly for the feedback!
I would try it first and see before buying a new mount. I think I have the same mount. It has worked on every pj so far that I have own, I also am using a 8350 now. If you do get the sony let us know if you think it is a good upgrade
post #861 of 3531 Old 08-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Liked: 11
Available in white?

Sounds like a shallow question, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this projector will be available in white in the US? Will help considerably in getting it approved by the finance committee (wife).

Remember Sammy Jankis.
post #862 of 3531 Old 08-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeline99 View Post
Sounds like a shallow question, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this projector will be available in white in the US? Will help considerably in getting it approved by the finance committee (wife).

Check into getting a Euro. model in white.
If they will work with120V.
I just bought Noah in 3D, that wasn't supposed to be in the US till next year.
post #863 of 3531 Old 08-18-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
My projector is RIGHT in front of a ceiling fan, believe it or not, it doesn't hurt the image at all somehow due to lens shift

Anyways, here are some shots of it all set up, my cinegrey 5D causes a bit of hot spotting, I need to figure all that out. it's only noticeable when you look for it.

blacks are amazing in low ambient light!

How high off the floor is the projector? How much offset did you have to use? How far below the top of the screen would you estimate the projector is? I'm looking to do the same type of setup.

Thanks!

Looky here!
post #864 of 3531 Old 08-18-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick questions

This may/will be my first projector. I have just moved into a new house that I believe will give me great light control in the room I am intending to use.

I have a few quick questions that if anyone could answer would be great.

1. I was originally thinking a 120" screen but I believe I could pull off a 135" screen, is 3D viable with this projector at 135"?

2. I have read that this projector is quiet. If I have a 135" screen the seating (distance defined by THX calculator) will need to be very close to the mounting location (anywhere from a couple feet to overhead). Is the projector quiet enough to not be a distraction when it is this close?

Thanks in advance.
post #865 of 3531 Old 08-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlind View Post
1. I was originally thinking a 120" screen but I believe I could pull off a 135" screen, is 3D viable with this projector at 135"?

2. I have read that this projector is quiet. If I have a 135" screen the seating (distance defined by THX calculator) will need to be very close to the mounting location (anywhere from a couple feet to overhead). Is the projector quiet enough to not be a distraction when it is this close?

Thanks in advance.
1.) Yes. I do it at 150"

2.) Yes it's extremely quiet.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #866 of 3531 Old 08-19-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm in the market for my first projector and this seems to be a serious consideration although I need to read more. Having no experience with PJs I have a couple of basic questions about how this unit might work in my situation. It will mount 8-12" down from a 9ft ceiling and throw will be ~10ft +/- 1ft (I have some flexibility since I haven't run the cables yet. I think I want something in the 110" ballpark for the screen. Primary seating position will be around 12ft. Room is my primary living space so it's not light controlled and I don't intend to compromise the overall asthetics of the room. I've seen the term "light cannon" mentioned and that seems appriopriate for my needs. Should the HW40 be a serious consideration for my situation? I don't care about 3D. I'll watch mostly sports and some movies. I'll have a ~65" plasma as the primary display for day-to-day viewing.
post #867 of 3531 Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
I'm in the market for my first projector and this seems to be a serious consideration although I need to read more. Having no experience with PJs I have a couple of basic questions about how this unit might work in my situation. It will mount 8-12" down from a 9ft ceiling and throw will be ~10ft +/- 1ft (I have some flexibility since I haven't run the cables yet. I think I want something in the 110" ballpark for the screen. Primary seating position will be around 12ft. Room is my primary living space so it's not light controlled and I don't intend to compromise the overall asthetics of the room. I've seen the term "light cannon" mentioned and that seems appriopriate for my needs. Should the HW40 be a serious consideration for my situation? I don't care about 3D. I'll watch mostly sports and some movies. I'll have a ~65" plasma as the primary display for day-to-day viewing.
The minimum throw distance for 110" diagonal 16:9 is 10' 10". So you'd be cutting it close but it should work.

This is a GREAT projector for moderate ambient light; I'm using it in a living room as well. I strongly recommend a gray screen. For budget screens, the Carl's ProGray is what I'm using and it's quite good. On the other end of the spectrum would be a Stewart Firehawk.

The difference between budget screens and high end screens is that budget screens are "visible" during certain scenes, especially horizontal pans. This is true of every screen I've ever worked with under $500 or so. A Stewart, on the other hand, is "invisible" from the perspective that all you'll see is the picture, but they are in the $2K and up range.
post #868 of 3531 Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Greetings again,

My projector has arrived!

My DIY dual 18" subwoofer project has delayed my screen purchase/selection. I'm in the 120", 16:9 camp, fixed frame, no need for acoustical transparent material. I do have some light concerns, but not a ton. I do not have light control, but I am not super concerned about daytime viewing. That being said, if there were a reasonable way to account for ambient light without inflating the cost >20% or without degrading the color/clarity then I'm open to looking into it.

Does higher gain have an image downside?

I recently bought an Elite Screen for the office and was impressed. I also had an old 4:3 Stewart Firehawk that I no think seemed like a lot of money.

Please toss some suggestions my way.

Thanks
post #869 of 3531 Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I have an inexpensive Focupix pulldown screen that I find quite remarkable. It is very smooth and not visible at all.
post #870 of 3531 Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem_702 View Post
Greetings again,

Does higher gain have an image downside?

There are two:

1. A narrower viewing cone. With a high gain screen the best image will be while sitting in the "sweet spot", generally within the left and right edges of the screen.

2. Less uniformity. A 1.0 gain screen should have a uniformly bright image, assuming the projector projects one. A high gain screen may be a little brighter in the center of the image than out on the edges. Some people find this really irritating, whereas other people don't even notice it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page