In Market for New Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
At present I have a pretty good setup with a dedicated light controlled home theater room (21 feet long by 14 feet wide by 8 feet high) a 110" diagonal Da-Mat HCCV screen (silver for better blacks) and a ceiling mounted projector that sits about 18 feet away. The projector was pretty inexpensive (Infocus X10) and I have been more than happy with it. The problem is that it is over 4 years old (I am planning to buy a new bulb) but I think it's about time to start looking for a replacement.

I do like DLP (njo problem with rainbows) and I need something with a relatively long throw (18 feet) to fill the screen. Some lens shift might be nice because my screen top is only 6 inches from the ceiling. I am not enamored of 3D but I would like something bright. In terms of budget I am willing to spend up to $2,500.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

In reference to my post above I meant Da-Lite, not Da Mat for the screen.

John
post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Your throw distance is no more than 17'8" to a 110" diagonal by the numbers and you are using a TON of keystone correction if that projector is ceiling mounted.

Here's the list of projectors which can hit that size from 17.5' away:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=3000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=3.0.0&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=17.5&i=d&is=110&sort=pop&sz=15

My recommendation would be for the BenQ W7500. It's right at the edge of your budget... maybe a bit over. But, it should deliver everything you need. Lens shift, the zoom range, and a very solid image.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. In reference to your comment on keystoning I am using it quite minimally as I followed up on a tip to tilt the screen slightly forward (not noticeable from where we sit).

The Benq7500 got a great review on the Projector people but a number of comments on this projector on a separate thread was somewhat less complementary-in effect that it was overpriced and blacks could be better. Hopefully prices will drop over the next several months.

John
post #5 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking too. Have a 20 x 17 Media Room and have a Mitsubishi HC1500 for the last 5 years, 720P, and surprising it looks really good. Mine is ceiling mounted and hangs down only 4 inches from ceiling. I have 10-12 foot ceilings. I didn't use much if any key stoning, Just adjusted the projectors image and it works fine.

My screen size ( built it myself and designed it to the exact specs based on my room size, via a throw distance calculator) and it's 116.5" Length by 70" Height. Basically 10' x 6'.

I replaced my bulb after 5 year and projector is great and just works day in and day out! Never an issue.

I'm looking at the following 3D projectors:

Epson 5030UB
Panasonic PT-AE8000U

Either one are great projectors. Panasonic has a $35@ rebate through tomorrow.
You can find the Panny for under $2,100! The Epson is $2,599.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Panasonic, but I can wait a while longer so hopefully there will be more rebates coming up and the Epson 5030UB will go on sale.

I want 3D! Why not? Might as well get it and not use it, vs want it and NOT have it. Get a 3D!

The Panasonic for the $$$) is a great deal and will solve more than all your issues Nd give you 3D.

Any you guys have an opinion on the Epson or the Panasonic????

Now I might be leaning toward the Epson!!!

Thanks.

Tex
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pany 8000 for 2100- $, what a steal those US prices ....
post #7 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I thought the panny $350 rebate ended a month ago? I don't see it listed at the usual retailers

EDIT: I see it now. it's only good through today though (the 31st)... turns it into $2049.99 ... not bad. I've seen it for like $1700 after rebate though a few months again.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page