Best way to connect projector to computer - critique my intended setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-30-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

As the title says, I've got a projector, I've got a computer, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the best way to connect the two, and any recommended alternative options to consider.

I want to be able to watch movies from the computer and play games from the computer at the best quality possible and that's about it. Also want to be able to do 3D (haven't purchased an emitter and glasses yet).

I don't have a blu-ray player or a TV.

My setup:

computer - graphics card - two GTX 460 (SLI)

- sound card - Xonar DG

projector - Mits HC7900DW

My plan:

Connect a long HDMI cable from the graphics card to the projector (using a mini HDMI to HDMI converter as the GTX460 only has a mini HDMI port).

Play audio through my existing setup, i.e. two JBL LSR4328P 8" connected to the sound card.

So my first question is 'will that work', and my second is 'is that the best way' or is their a better way?

I haven't been able to find much detailed info about this on the forums. That may be a sign of the noobness of the question, or my search skills though, not sure.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Yes, that's how you do it.

You won't be getting surround sound out of things, but HDMI from the source to the display is how you do it. Think of a projector like a monitor. If the monitor is close, you use a short cable, if it is far away, you use a long cable. Nothing magic about it.

Now, if the cable is being run behind drywall, and it is difficult to put in place, then consider putting in place 2 cat-6 cables as well which can help to future proof the system. But, if the cable is just externally run, then just put the cable in place and try it out.

How long is the cable run that you are intending? In my experience, 25 feet or longer is a 'long run' and needs a quality cable.

Something like this if it is easy to put in place or change out later if necessary:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=2

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks AV_Integrated. Glad to hear I'm on the right track. Coincidently your link is exactly the cable I ordered. It won't be behind a wall so no need to future proof.

Could you confirm that I will be able to use my monitor and projector at the same time. My monitor is connected through a DVI cable to the same graphics card. I assume it won't be a problem but no harm in checking.

A question related to the heat generated by running the projector with high def / 3D footage. Is it recommended to upgrade to a better heatsink?

post #4 of 19 Old 04-01-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaktome View Post

Thanks AV_Integrated. Glad to hear I'm on the right track. Coincidently your link is exactly the cable I ordered. It won't be behind a wall so no need to future proof.

Could you confirm that I will be able to use my monitor and projector at the same time. My monitor is connected through a DVI cable to the same graphics card. I assume it won't be a problem but no harm in checking.

A question related to the heat generated by running the projector with high def / 3D footage. Is it recommended to upgrade to a better heatsink?
Unfortunately, I'm not a PC person. I run my theater through A/V components. But, in my general dealings with PCs connected to projectors, most graphics cards support dual output. The two outputs can be set to mirror each other, which is good if you have a matching resolution on the PC LCD display, or they can be set to be different monitors (extended desktop) which is best if the resolution is different on the two displays.

Since you have a 1920x1080 projector, you should only mirror the displays if the computer monitor is also 1920x1080.

The graphics card should handle the resolution just fine and should have been designed to do so, but as I said, I'm not a PC person in that regard.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Needing help just bought a projector and dvd player with wired speakers my problem is my dvd only has hdmi hook up so while my projector will receive the image my reciever surround sound speakers will not receive sound =( i already spent money on my a converter about 100 dollars and it still won't work the hdmi converter to component didn't work so my receiver still didn't receive audio signal any ideas? My dvd player is only hdmi thank you
post #6 of 19 Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarmercedes View Post

Needing help just bought a projector and dvd player with wired speakers my problem is my dvd only has hdmi hook up so while my projector will receive the image my reciever surround sound speakers will not receive sound =( i already spent money on my a converter about 100 dollars and it still won't work the hdmi converter to component didn't work so my receiver still didn't receive audio signal any ideas? My dvd player is only hdmi thank you
For future reference - must like asking anything else, without a make, manufacturer, and model you can't get any specific information that applies to your case without some details.

You've bought some different product that is clearly not compatible with each other, so finding the scenario that gets your audio to your setup is the goal, but without a make/model it's going to be tough to get the right solution for you.

post #7 of 19 Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 PM

Liked: 16
To piggy back onto this thread...my PC is already hooked up to my Epson 5010 projector with a DVI-HDMI cable to my receiver. My sound from my PC is via optical, also to my receiver. My video card is several years old (nVidia 8800GT) so it doesn't have HDMI. My question is, do the newer cards with HDMI also have soundcards built in, for a single cable surround sound solution? Thanks!

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #8 of 19 Old 04-05-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

You will have to check the video card, but certainly on every HDMI connection I've seen from a laptop, the audio has been brought over the connection as well as the video. But, I think you will get better answers by looking in the HTPC section of the forums where people are building PCs for the specific purpose of connecting to their various A/V systems. You may find out that some cards don't transmit audio, but my expectation is that most do these days.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

So I have tried to connect my projector to my computer but sadly I am getting no picture.

I have set the display monitor to match this resolution. The monitor is a Dell U2713HM (DVI). One monitor only.

I have 2 GTX 560s in SLI. The monitor is attached to the GPU via DVI. The projector is attached to the GPU via HDMI (mini HDMI to HDMI connection from GPU). The HDMI is monoprice high performance with RedMere.

I used both NVIDIA and Win 7 control panels to set multiple displays in both extended and cloned modes. 

I have connected the HDMI cable to both graphics cards. The results are the same - projector is detected but can not get a picture. 

The projector has a 'no signal' message and goes into sleep mode after a few minutes.

I have done a bit of reading and can not see any reason why this isn't working. Not sure where to go from here so turning to the community for help...

post #10 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 AM

Is your projector turned on and connected when the computer is started? I know that with my Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver (which is hooked up to my Epson 5010 projector), I have to have the receiver on before the computer is started. Otherwise, it is detected but shows no picture.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #11 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

I did try that but I'll try again now and wait a little longer before I turn the computer on.

Thanks for the troubleshoot. 

post #12 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Still no signal. Could it be something with the DDC2B not working?

I'm really stumped here. 

post #13 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Also nothing with monitor disconnected.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried a different HDMI source connected to the cable?
Do you have a different HDMI cable you could test with?
Can you move the PC closer to the projector to test with a shorter cable (just for testing)?
Can you borrow a laptop from a friend to test out with that has a full size HDMI connection?
Is your Redmere cable installed the proper direction?

The mini HDMI combined with the Redmere cable may be an issue as Redmere needs a certain amount of voltage to work properly.

I would probably try another HDMI source first, then move the computer closer and try non-active cables such as Redmere over a short distance.

There are any number of possible issues here, but if this works with a standard A/V HDMI device, then the issues start pointing towards the PC, and not the wiring.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 AM

AV integrated makes some very good suggestions. I have personally had trouble with a long HDMI cable in the past, and had to buy a newer, higher-quality one. The fact that you are using a long cable in conjunction with an adapter may well be a factor.

Do you have a smaller HDTV somewhere else you can bring to your computer (steal it from the kid's room, etc)? It would be good to try that TV with a shorter HDMI cable, as well as the cable you are trying to run to your projector.

post #16 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Silly question, but Redmere cables are directional. Do you have that right?
post #17 of 19 Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
The redmere cable is hooked up in the correct direction. But to ensure that it wasn't shipped with the tags on the wrong ends I swapped it around. There was no change, i.e. detected but no signal. Im confident that the length of cable isnt a problem with the redmere but it may be with the adapter. I might be able to test it out on housemates computer when I get home, along with the other suggestions. Will let you know how it goes.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-09-2014, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Okay so this is what I tried and where I am now. 

1. Tested projector with DVI - worked.

2. Tested projector (and mini HDMI adapter) with a different (shorter) HDMI cable - worked. So now I'm thinking it must be the extra long monoprice HDMI cable but

3. Tested projector and HDMI cable with another computer - worked!

So now I'm thinking it can only be either the mini HDMI cable or the GPU doesn't like the monprice cable but then this happens.

4. Try the original set-up one last time and it works! WTF. 

So now I am left with having absolutely no idea why it didn't work in the first place and if it will continue to work in the future.  But for now, let's call the problem solved.

Thanks for troubleshooting with me.  

post #19 of 19 Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 AM

That's how it goes sometimes. Glad it's working though!

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page