2D to 3D or proper 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2014, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is all a bit new to me, but last night we watched Avitar and got the Epson eh-tw8300 to convert to 3D, I was very impressed but I have only had a projector a few days so I have no comparison. For me what I saw was amazing, but is there real gain to be had to get a blue ray and get real 3D recorded films?
Regards
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
There is no comparison between converted 2D - 3D and a proper 3D Blu-Ray presentation. The conversion of Avatar would be ok and as it was shot with 3D in mind, no doubt the conversion was aided by this fact but really if you want a "proper" 3D experience get a 3D Blu-ray player and the 3D Version of Avatar.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
No comparison. If you want 3d, get the 3d version of the movie.

Not all 3d movies are created equal... I was less than impressed with the 3d effects in Tron frown.gif
Old 03-31-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 106
That type of conversion is just a gimmick IMO. No real value.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Some converters seem smarter than others and might even recognize that certain things like slower moving backgrounds get placed farther back than foreground items, but mostly 2D-3D conversion just gives the entire picture anaappearance of depth like looking through a window into the somewhat flat screen. The depth is still cool, but not often sophisticated. In a real 3D movie the spacing of objects will be different depending on their distance from the camera. Instead of looking through a window into a flat-ish screen, you'll be looking through a window with distant parts distant, close things close and even some pushed far forward into your window.

On top of that, sometimes a more sophisticated 2D-3D converter will push inappropriate things forward simply because of a strong color contrast or various other reasons..so a stripe on a person's shirt may come through your screen whilst they're hanging out in the back depth.

2D-3D can be a lot of fun with videogames. It treats some impressively well.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like a blue ray player is on the shopping list then, but I will for sure be trying the converted think on a few more movies in the mean time it is still very cool IMO smile.gif
Anyone recommend a good blue ray player with hifi use in mind (some I believe player sacds)?
Regards
Chris
Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post

It looks like a blue ray player is on the shopping list then, but I will for sure be trying the converted think on a few more movies in the mean time it is still very cool IMO smile.gif
Anyone recommend a good blue ray player with hifi use in mind (some I believe player sacds)?
Regards
Chris

what's your price range? if you want standard simple blu-ray playback a nice sony or panasonic will set you back about $100 and will do you fine. if you want to have a tank and can play everything under the sun.. oppo makes great ones for like $500
Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

I am looking at more the Oppo level (just googled it). What is its audio quality like though as I just had a brief read of what hifi's review and they did not give the audio side of things a very good rating?
Regards
Chris
Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Just started a thread in the correct section re blue ray player smile.gif
Regards
Chris