battle of the projectors, help me choose - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 04-04-2014, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
ok guys. I'm down to the wire here. Someone is coming to pick up my Epson 8350 this weekend so I'll be out a projector until I nail down WHAT to get.

I've had the 8350 for over 2 years and I've enjoyed it thoroughly. Now I want a 3D PJ for work (I work as a film reviewer on another site, ala Ralph Potts style) and reviewing 3D titles on a 60 inch display gets me through the day, but I'd like the ease of working with my 120 inch Draper Cineperm screen. My room is about 90% light controlled. by that I mean I watch in complete darkness at night, no lights on, I have the ceiling and walls all painted Matte Black.. my only reflections are furniture (minimal at best and my satillo Tile floor (which doesn't put off much). so I've got that under control.

I was THINKING of originally getting the Benq W1070 being that it would be about a lateral move for 2D PQ and I'd gain a nice jump on getting 3D ability too. I don't suffer from rainbows, I watched tons of stuff on my buddies HD20 back in the day and I never saw a rainbow.

HOWEVER, I was thinking I might like a solid jump in 2D picture quality as well and I'm looking at the 5030 or the AE8000 since my budged is around $2k (I know the common advice is try to save for $3k because that's when you can get the 55es or JVC RS46 etc, but my budget is being strained at around $2k -$2200 MAX). now with that being said. are the 5030 and AE8000 a very significant increase over the w1070/8350 in terms of PQ? cuz if I'm going to spend about $1200-$1400 over the price of the benq I'd like it to be worthwhile. and If it's really only a 10-15% increase type of situation then I'd rather not waste that much money on a PJ that's only giving me a minor upgrade. I know the Sony and JVC are heralded as the big boys, but unfortunately I gotta stick to my budget... especially with the AE8000 being only $2k right now and the JVC being known as a bulb hog.

soooooooooo, with all that on the table, which should I be aiming for? also are there any projectors that I'm missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-05-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

?????

I sold the 8350 with 35 ft hdmi cable and power cable and PMS mount for $900 so I'm projectorless for the time being (not too bad of a sale being that I paid $899 new for it at Frys electronics 2.5 years ago, $35 for the cable and $50 for the mount)
post #3 of 36 Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well, being that I am still deciding over projector I'm going to get a new mount in the mean time... was thinking about the Chief series or the Peerless PRG-UNV's ...

I have a cathedral sloped ceiling so I'm assuming I'll need one of these with the mount?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/338300-REG/Peerless_Industries_ACC_912_ACC_912_Lightweight_Cathedral.html

any thoughts on the PRG-UNV vs. the PRGS-UNV???

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/525470-REG/Peerless_Industries_PRG_UNV_PRG_UNV_Precision_Gear_Projector.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/937040-REG/peerless_industries_prgs_unv_w_prgs_series_prgs_unv_s_projector.html

just picked up an 40 foot redmere ultra slim HDMI cable from monoprice...got rid of my thick 24 awg cable running across my ceiling. been meaning to try a redmere cable for a while
post #4 of 36 Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
You've kind of done your homework on projectors, so there really is no reason to comment on that. You aren't clueless, you get it. DLP has a significantly different look than LCD, but the Panasonic AE8000 is an excellent value. You REALLY should check out the b-stock or refurb units out there for LCoS. You may be able to pick up a nice Sony for around $2K.

For a mount... The Chief Elite mounts are a fair step up from the Peerless mounts. I've used both, the Chief is just better.

Try to pick this up:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAUW-RPA-Elite-Universal-Projector-Mount-Ceiling-Mount-White-New-/331168416169?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item4d1b2d01a9

or...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121312920919?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3ed04557

The Redmere cable is nice as long as you can replace it should the electronics in it fail. Make sure to install it the correct direction!

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 36 Old 04-07-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

You've kind of done your homework on projectors, so there really is no reason to comment on that. You aren't clueless, you get it. DLP has a significantly different look than LCD, but the Panasonic AE8000 is an excellent value. You REALLY should check out the b-stock or refurb units out there for LCoS. You may be able to pick up a nice Sony for around $2K.

For a mount... The Chief Elite mounts are a fair step up from the Peerless mounts. I've used both, the Chief is just better.

Try to pick this up:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAUW-RPA-Elite-Universal-Projector-Mount-Ceiling-Mount-White-New-/331168416169?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item4d1b2d01a9

or...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121312920919?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3ed04557

The Redmere cable is nice as long as you can replace it should the electronics in it fail. Make sure to install it the correct direction!

Yeah. I was leaning towards the chief mounts from research I was doing last night. That second link for the rpmau looks gorgeous. I jumped on it.

Uh oh on the remere. Electronics failing? I thought redmere cables were just using new types of material that just Allowed them to be thinner and have less degradation for longer distances. The way u worded your statement makes it sound like there is internal working components that can fail etc more often than a regular cable....

And yeah. The projector I think I got covered. Agi has an open box 5030 sold as new that hadn't even been used or taken out of the box that they are quoting me on. Or I'll grab the ae8000 if the 5030 falls through.

EDIT: the open box they have is for $2400.. still a bit too high for an open box IMO

I Almost got one of the AVS sold Sony HW50ES B-stock models but I ran into some medical bills and had to decline ... Now that I HAVE the money they're all gone frown.gif...I was tempted on the 30ES, but I didn't find any comparisons to the AE8000 or the 5020/5030... it's at a VERY tempting price on AVS B-stock right now... if it's on par with the Panny or the Epson I'd jump on it in a heartbeat...(although I'd still like one of the 50ES's frown.gif )

and does it matter which of the cathedral ceiling adapters I got? the peerless or the chief? both look pretty much the same and accept NPT 1.5 inch pipe. just hte peerless is $31 at bhphotovideo.com and the chief is running around $40-45 most places.....or any negatives on buying a used Chief CMA-395 cathedral ceilingadapter? some seller on amazon has a like new one for $19.99 shipped...
post #6 of 36 Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Top shelf level ceiling mounts ALL use 1.5" pipe. Chief/Peerless/Premier, and others use this as a standard and all pipes and ceiling plates are 100% interchangeable. I would look for something on eBay that looks good myself. Some of that stuff goes cheap and is well worth the price. Some of it is kind of dinged up, but a $3 can of black spray paint can fix it quite easily.

Anyway, yeah, the projector is a tough choice. My mentality continues to say to just save up a bit more for a JVC or Sony LCoS model as they really do wow compared to the rest. But, I'm free to say that when I'm spending your money. biggrin.gif

For what it's worth, Projector People has a demo AE8000 for $2,200 and it has a $350 mail in rebate bringing the price down to $1,850.

That's a lot of projector for the money.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PTAE8000U/Projector/27643

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 36 Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Top shelf level ceiling mounts ALL use 1.5" pipe. Chief/Peerless/Premier, and others use this as a standard and all pipes and ceiling plates are 100% interchangeable. I would look for something on eBay that looks good myself. Some of that stuff goes cheap and is well worth the price. Some of it is kind of dinged up, but a $3 can of black spray paint can fix it quite easily.

Anyway, yeah, the projector is a tough choice. My mentality continues to say to just save up a bit more for a JVC or Sony LCoS model as they really do wow compared to the rest. But, I'm free to say that when I'm spending your money. biggrin.gif

For what it's worth, Projector People has a demo AE8000 for $2,200 and it has a $350 mail in rebate bringing the price down to $1,850.

That's a lot of projector for the money.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PTAE8000U/Projector/27643

that's what I assumed on the cathedral adapter. picked up the used Chief CMA 395 one on amazon for $19.99... better than paying $45 + for it.

yeah, I'm torn on the projector too. my conundrum is in the fact that I already sold my 8350 and am projectorless and the $2400 is like my "I'm stretching my budget so bad it hurts" type scenario...now I''m really kicking myself for having to pass on those 50ES Sony models that Mike Garrett had last month.. eeeef.

hmmm, $1,850 for the Panny is ridiculously cheap ...sheesh....they also had a demo model of the 50ES for $2199 and I got all excited only to have it be listed "already sold" when I added it to my cart lol...
post #8 of 36 Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in a similar situation now that Sony has announced HW40 for less than 2500/- waiting to see how it looks w/o DI and pull the trigger. It might be few more weeks before it becomes available.

I know you can't wait that long..will send a PM on a 5020 (new) deal from an AV store if you are interested, I was debating it for a while.
post #9 of 36 Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

and I broke down. Mike Garrett gave me a very good deal on the JVC RS46 and I couldn't resist... I'm a sucker. I swore I wasn't going to go over budget but I finally broke...I don't get the 3rd year of warranty that the Sony offers, hope I don't regret it, but the 2D PQ on the JVC is supposedly insane.
post #10 of 36 Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 PM

How much did you paid for the rs46 if you don't mind.
post #11 of 36 Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfan2012 View Post

How much did you paid for the rs46 if you don't mind.

$2969 shipped to AZ
post #12 of 36 Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 PM

Did you check out the link I posted on your other thread?
post #13 of 36 Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you check out the link I posted on your other thread?

yeah, I just went with AVS cuz it was only $200 more and they're authorized JVC dealers... hopefully less problems if something occurs
post #14 of 36 Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 AM

Is your room completely darkened? I'm waiting to finish my room see if fit for rs46 before I purchase.
post #15 of 36 Old 04-10-2014, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is your room completely darkened? I'm waiting to finish my room see if fit for rs46 before I purchase.

yes, I painted it matte "dark cavern" (it's 2 shades on the color shade chart from pure ebony black)... walls and ceiling. made a big difference just on my 8350.. I can't wait to see how the RS46 fairs
post #16 of 36 Old 04-10-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

You will really enjoy it. The RS46 is my go-to mid-budget model. It's got a top shelf 2D image and the 3D really doesn't suffer nearly as much as some would have you believe.

Could have bought it for less by a couple hundred, but still, really worth the price of admission in the long run.

post #17 of 36 Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You will really enjoy it. The RS46 is my go-to mid-budget model. It's got a top shelf 2D image and the 3D really doesn't suffer nearly as much as some would have you believe.

Could have bought it for less by a couple hundred, but still, really worth the price of admission in the long run.

yeah, I figured I could have gotten it for a few hundred less, but since AVS is an authorized dealer I figure it would make warranty issues easier (god forbid that ever happens)... I've heard nothing but good things about it's 2D image and I'm not going to be doing THAT much 3D... just maybe one or two titles a month really. still can't believe I broke my strict budget and went balls to the walls... ah well. now to wait as parts trickle in from 10 million places biggrin.gif
post #18 of 36 Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wow, that was fast. AVS shipped it out yesterday and I got it today!!! my RPMAU mount came in today too and I've got all my cables ready. ONLY hang up was that the third party seller who shipped me my cathedral ceiling adapter just shipped it today... according to tracking they shipped it via 2 day priority mail though so it's SUPPOSEDLY coming tomorrow. x fingers... I almost want to set up the JVC on a table and test it out biggrin.gif

and umm...WOW.. the thing is HUGE!!
post #19 of 36 Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, not only is the RS46 a large projector, it's heavy! Most of the bigger models like the AE8000 and the 5030 are large units compares to most of the DLP offerings, but the RS46 isn't just big, it's big and heavy. It's fun when you are trying to hold it up to make sure everything is aligned right. (pant)

But, the number of people who seem to have serious complaints about the quality of build of the JVC models seems almost non-existent. They are just really well built machines.

Don't forget to post photos!

post #20 of 36 Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know right?! my first thought was ... I better use 3 inch screws or lag bolts on my ceiling adapter that's for sure !!!! (wish the cathedral ceiling adapters came with more than 2 screw holes... I used 2 lag bolts on the stud and 4 butterfly screws for the sides in the drywall on my 16 lb epson biggrin.gif)

here's the first biggrin.gif

IMG_20140411_184827.jpg
post #21 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

damn, got my CMA-395 Cathedral ceiling adapter today.. from the picture it looked like a 4 or 5 inch little adapter... not a freaking TANK!! the thing is HUGE.. definitely using lag screws on that bad boy. am I correct in thinking that I should just drill it into the stud with the lag bolts... this mount/cathedral adapter/+ projector probably weighs 50 lbs.. will it hold with 4 inch lag screws? I assume it will, I'm just no construction worker so I'm making sure I don't do anything stupid.
post #22 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
On a solar panel install a single 5/16" 3" lag took 400# sideways force to pull out in lab test.
post #23 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post

On a solar panel install a single 5/16" 3" lag took 400# sideways force to pull out in lab test.

Lol. Well that answers that. One last stupid question. I'll have to mount the chief cathedral adapters with one screw in between the old mount holes and one to the outside..is 3 inches distance between the old pilot holes enough safe distance?
post #24 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 611
More than enough

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #25 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Be sure to use a pilot hole if you do use lags.
post #26 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post

Be sure to use a pilot hole if you do use lags.

I use pilot holes for all screws. So I'll do them here do sho
post #27 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

More than enough

Thanks
post #28 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

lol, looks like you guys were right. I had nothing to worry about there. used 3/8 by 3.5 inch lag screws to put it into the stud and I could LITERALLY do chinups on it. added a 6 inch long NPT pipe and I'll be set to go as soon as the SLM281 bracket comes in the mail (I got the RPMAU mount which won't fit with the JVC mounting holes so I had to get the RPMA281 to make it work)

post #29 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The RPMAU mount will work with the RS46 just fine. There are two additional holes towards the front of the RS46 which works for the mount and holds it incredibly stable without any need for additional parts or pieces.

See those two holes at the top in the middle? Those can be used to mount the projector instead of using the corners. You use corners in the back, and the centers up front, and it forms a really stable triangle.

post #30 of 36 Old 04-13-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The RPMAU mount will work with the RS46 just fine. There are two additional holes towards the front of the RS46 which works for the mount and holds it incredibly stable without any need for additional parts or pieces.

See those two holes at the top in the middle? Those can be used to mount the projector instead of using the corners. You use corners in the back, and the centers up front, and it forms a really stable triangle.

ahh, I had been reading in the RS46 thread that some people had used that but that JVC had told them NOT to use those holes , that they were for an anamorphic lens...Mike Garrett said that the SLM281 plate was the only one to be used with the JVC unless you had the older RPA or RPMA mount that had those little "extenders" in your picture....so that's on it's way from amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

UH . . . Just so you know this was researched by Jason & Mark a while back with JVC when we were looking for a work around for this non-fitting mount. As I remember it was meant for a future Anamorph lens but JVC told AVS not to use those holes!

I found an amazon warehouse sale of a couple RPMA-281 (the RPMA mount + SLM281 plate) that was brand new but got had to be repackaged by amazon for $95, which is about $20 cheaper than buying the SLM281 plate on it's so I snaged that. .. I'll probably end up just trying to sell off the RPMAU I got on ebay or at least the mount and keep the Universal bracket for another PJ or something.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page