Making first HT, have no idea what to buy to get the most out of my $2500 budget for a PJ and sound system. Please share any suggestions you have. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
For the closet IR relay problem:

I used a Hot Link Pro in the past and liked it fine.
http://www.hot-link.com/pages/products.cgi?mrchcatid=1&mrchid=2

They also have a long distance version where you can use cat5/6 to extend the relay length from the eye to the emitters. That may be useful for you depending on how your closet sits in relation to the room(s) it is feeding.
http://www.hot-link.com/pages/extra_long_distance_system.cgi

You might also check out Monoprice... I haven't used this product myself, but at this price it might be worth a try. The eye is larger than the Hot Link... but it's only about $18 for the kit.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=9895&seq=1&format=2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you are going to ceiling mount your projector, then my advise would be to either put your equipment on a shelf in the back of the room, or on a shelf in the closet.

If you put it in the closet, I would remove the bi-fold doors entirely. I would then install trim around the door opening. You could add thin curtains like I talked about above, or if you can keep the closet tidy, then just leave it open.

There are a few reasons I would not put the equipment under the screen. 1) It may limit the size and placement of your screen, 2) It can be more difficult to hide the HDMI cable from your AVR to your projector and 3) You will not have as "clean" a look, and 4) If your equipment has bright lights/displays, it can be distracting.

So I would either put the equipment in the closet (my first choice) or in the back of the room near the ceiling. I would then run the HDMI and power cables for your projector through the ceiling. Here are some pictures of how I did mine (click on the pictures for a larger version, and then click on "Original" if you want the super-size version):

Please note that I usually have my projector mounted more flush with the ceiling, so the cables are much less visible. But when I recently swapped out my old 7500UB for the new 5010, I didn't have any help, and the drop arm extension made it easier for me to do it by myself without dropping the projector. Next time I have a buddy over I'll probably take the extension back out.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post

If you are going to ceiling mount your projector, then my advise would be to either put your equipment on a shelf in the back of the room, or on a shelf in the closet.

If you put it in the closet, I would remove the bi-fold doors entirely. I would then install trim around the door opening. You could add thin curtains like I talked about above, or if you can keep the closet tidy, then just leave it open.

There are a few reasons I would not put the equipment under the screen. 1) It may limit the size and placement of your screen, 2) It can be more difficult to hide the HDMI cable from your AVR to your projector and 3) You will not have as "clean" a look, and 4) If your equipment has bright lights/displays, it can be distracting.

So I would either put the equipment in the closet (my first choice) or in the back of the room near the ceiling. I would then run the HDMI and power cables for your projector through the ceiling. Here are some pictures of how I did mine (click on the pictures for a larger version, and then click on "Original" if you want the super-size version):

Please note that I usually have my projector mounted more flush with the ceiling, so the cables are much less visible. But when I recently swapped out my old 7500UB for the new 5010, I didn't have any help, and the drop arm extension made it easier for me to do it by myself without dropping the projector. Next time I have a buddy over I'll probably take the extension back out.

You make some good points. We could take the doors off and use a thin curtain. Do u have any suggestions on what mount to get? Keep in mind we have pretty low ceilings in there.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODirty View Post

Do u have any suggestions on what mount to get? Keep in mind we have pretty low ceilings in there.

I haven't shopped for mounts lately. I would just go on Amazon or maybe Monoprice and look for something that is not too expensive, but has good customer reviews.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
Old 04-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Chief RPM mounts are highly recommended.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 393
This is the mount to get:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121312920919?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3ed04557

It will last you forever, you won't be sorry.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! Sorry u haven't been able to update but we have been really busy with the move and all. I'm now in the new house and unfortunately the HT has been on the back burner because I'm have to out in a whole backyard!

But if u refer to my pics and everything I posted here I was trying to figure out the seating and all that. We decided just get a row if three movie theater seats because our room is so small. But in the future we may or may not add seats. If I get a row of three seats, how far back should I put them if I am going to have speakers back there. I read that you don't want the. Right next to the rear speakers because u lose sound quality.

Also have. A few questions about the speaker placement.

Should I mount the rear and front speaker on the wall? If so how high? OR on the ceiling?

should I mount the center speaker on top or below the screen?

Should the rear speakers be on the ceiling or wall?

Where should the sub go?

Heres what I think I'm getting:

Front left/right: Infinity Primus p163
Center: Infinity Primus c351
Surround speakers: Infininty Primus p153
Subwoofer: Rythmik LV12r
AVR: Yamaha RX-V675

I'm trying it keep it under 1500-1600$... What do u guys think?

Any suggestion are always appreciated!