Making first HT, have no idea what to buy to get the most out of my $2500 budget for a PJ and sound system. Please share any suggestions you have. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10

New to HT and this forum,

My father and I are going to convert a room in our house to a HT room and we have never done this before. Any suggestions you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to keep the projector and sound system under $2500

Room Specs: 17ft long, 13ft 3in wide, 7ft 6in ceilings        Pics: http://imgur.com/a/Fe4P8

Projector: Here are a few that I am thinking about buying

1) Epson 2030  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO96W2I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1VV4S3K55UBN3&coliid=IUDWF04OFUQSO

2) BenQ W1070  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2T6X0K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1VV4S3K55UBN3&coliid=I33LDI636QOO9W

3) Optoma HD25-LV  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQWX1P2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1VV4S3K55UBN3&coliid=I2H3QXQHV0WXH5

4) Vivitek D950HD  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D4LDYQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1VV4S3K55UBN3&coliid=I1Z9PPCUG3K7GE

5) Optoma HD25e  http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD25e-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B00E19RFFO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396900254&sr=8-3&keywords=optoma+projector

Those are the ones I like so far, but again, I dont really know which one would best suit our room. I really like the Optoma HD25-LV but someone said that it may be too bright for a light controlled room.

I should note that the PJ will be used for daily TV viewing as well as movies/blu rays/gaming. *3D is not a huge desire for us, but it would be nice to be able to watch a movie in 3D once in a while.

So what do you guys think? We wanted to build our own screen and run everything into that closet you see in the pics.

My questions: 1) Obviously, what projector should I get?

2) Where should we mount the projector? (**we want the screen to be at least 100in but not too big for the room)

3) Do you guys have any suggestions where we can get theater style seating (the furniture is not part of the $2500 budget) for a descent price?

4) Where should we mount/put the projector to suit our needs?

5) Do we need to get a short throw PJ?

Here is my attempt at drawing the kinda set up we are trying to get:  http://imgur.com/2iQ6Jng

Thanks for reading guys, like I said before, I am new to all this so any knowledge you can pass down is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
From your drawing it looks like you want to make this into a dedicated theater, not a room for multiple uses. The most important thing by far and its the least expensive is to paint the room. You don't have to go solid flat black (the best for optimal picture) just very dark flat colors like dark brown, midnight blue, emerald green any thing but a light pastel semi gloss like you have. and this includes the ceiling. The BenQ 1070 or the Optomas (not the LV if you paint the room) would be my choice. The Epson only if your RBE sensitive and forget the vivitec its not a home theater projector. A 110" to 120" fixed frame cine white screen in the 1.2 gain range. Does you budget include a 5.1/7.1 sound system a must for any dedicated theater and at a minimum $600+. Check out the DIY screen section if your into saving money on making your own screen. Jamestown makes a great screen for a reasonable price.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #3 of 37 Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

From your drawing it looks like you want to make this into a dedicated theater, not a room for multiple uses. The most important thing by far and its the least expensive is to paint the room. You don't have to go solid flat black (the best for optimal picture) just very dark flat colors like dark brown, midnight blue, emerald green any thing but a light pastel semi gloss like you have. and this includes the ceiling. The BenQ 1070 or the Optomas (not the LV if you paint the room) would be my choice. The Epson only if your RBE sensitive and forget the vivitec its not a home theater projector. A 110" to 120" fixed frame cine white screen in the 1.2 gain range. Does you budget include a 5.1/7.1 sound system a must for any dedicated theater and at a minimum $600+. Check out the DIY screen section if your into saving money on making your own screen. Jamestown makes a great screen for a reasonable price.

Rekbones,

Yes, we are going to make this a dedicated theater room.

Yes we were thinking about painting the room a very dark maroon color.

RBE sensitive? Thats something about seeing rainbows on the screen right? I have no clue if I am..

1.2 gain range? what does that mean? Dont mean to ask a ton of questions but like I said I am new to this.

And to answert your question, Yes, the $2500 budget is for the PJ and the surround sound system. I made a post simular to this in the Home audio in a box thread, because I did not know if I could also ask for advice on sound system stuff in this thread.

We were looking at the buying the Klipsch Quintet V5 HT bundle. But I really havent gotten any advice on the sound system side of the equation.

Thanks for the suggestions! Would love to hear more from you guys!

post #4 of 37 Old 04-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Some screens are High Gain and reflect light back at the same angle as its projected onto it and not necessary in your situation. a slight gain of 1.2 or 1.3 is common and gives you a little brighter white then a 1.0 or lesser gain. You don't need a gray screen if you have full light control. Blackout cloth will give you about a 1.0 gain and can be a fair material for a homemade screen. I would recommend a dedicated AV receiver and buy your speakers separately. Klipsch I think are over priced, something like Polk audio make a very good entry level speakers more within your budget.It all depends where you want to invest the most and you can always upgrade at a later date. Denon, and Pioneer are very good choices for AV receivers

post #5 of 37 Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!

post #6 of 37 Old 04-08-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
With a 12' or so viewing range to the first row and about 16' to the second row, a nice average size screen will be about 120" diagonal. Minimal gain of 1.2-1.4 gain is typical in a light controlled space to increase the 'pop' from a screen. Don't think to much about brightness as there are ways to dial brightness down, and the larger the screen is the dimmer the image will end up being.

The W1070 is going to perform very similar to the Optoma, and will be plenty bright enough and has a better color wheel. The Optoma, by all reports, has better black level and shadow detail. From what I've heard, the W1070 is a bit better in a dedicated space and fits the budget a bit better.

Mount the projector according to the calculator:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm
That's 10' to 13'1" from lens to screen. The lens must be between about 1" to 6" above the top of the screen.

I would get a good universal projector mount and bolt it directly to the ceiling considering your ceiling height.
This mount is top shelf and will last you the rest of your life. It's a universal mount which will work with this, or any, projector:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121312920919?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3ed04557

For audio, if you aren't getting enough responses here, you may want to try some other forums like Audioholics with your questions.

I would take a look at www.accessories4less.com on a decent refurb A/V receiver and check out their speaker pricing. I'm not a Klipsch fan, but you should go listen to them if you can.

I am a firm believer that dropping $1,000 or so on just the subwoofer tends to make a lot of sense.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 37 Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help! I will look into all of those and let you know what I think. I agree, I need to go somewhere and listen to all the different brands.

post #8 of 37 Old 04-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Welcome to the home theater projector club! It's an awesome hobby.

You're smart to start out with a DIY screen, since that will allow you to get the most bang for your buck. I've built a few DIY screens, and each one has turned out a little better than the previous. If you use straight, high quality lumber and nice velvet (not the cheap stuff!), and work carefully, you can get a professional looking screen. Here's my current screen:

As far as the projector, I have always been partial to LCD models since they provide the most flexibility in placement since they typically have much more lens zoom and image shift than DLP models. I've moved houses a couple times since I began this hobby, and I've changed screens, so the flexibility has made my life easier. But if you think your setup will be pretty static, and if you do a little homework ahead of time, DLP can be a great value.

I think you're smart to not worry too much about 3D. I recently upgraded to a 3D projector (Epson 5010), and while the 3D can be kind of cool, I feel like you give up a lot of picture quality, and the glasses requirement is not ideal. But I didn't upgrade specifically for 3D anyway, and now that I've tried it, I wouldn't miss it much.

Another way to stretch your home theater dollar is to buy used when practical. Craigslist is a great source. Late-model projectors can be hard to find on CL, but there are always a lot of nice speakers and other audio gear. You can also find nice furniture on there. If you don't mind sharing what part of the country you're in, I can do a search on CL and see if I notice anything of interest.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #9 of 37 Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Your setup is sweet!

Ya I havent looked into all the screen stuff yet but my father and I deff agree that we should make our own. Is it better to buy all the material? Or to just paint the screen on with special paint?

I think after what everyone has suggested that we are going to go with a BenQ W1070.

The sound system, is a whole different animal haha. I am looking into all that stuff right now.

Thanks for your help guys. Keep feeding me any info you deem necessary.

I will give frequent updates/pics as soon as we start buying this stuff and move into the house.

post #10 of 37 Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODirty View Post

Ya I havent looked into all the screen stuff yet but my father and I deff agree that we should make our own. Is it better to buy all the material? Or to just paint the screen on with special paint?

I have that "knockdown" texture on my walls, so painting a screen wasn't really an option without a lot of extra work. It seems like people get good results a lot of times with paint, but unless you go with one of the fancy DIY paint mixtures, and carefully spray it onto a very smooth surface, then you may be just as well off with a BOC (black out cloth) screen.

The screen looks very cool in person, and displays a wonderful image. And when I decided to switch to a "scope" screen, I was able to sell my old screen for $300 on Craigslist (it was under $100 to build). It would be kind of of hard to sell a screen that was painted onto my wall. smile.gif

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #11 of 37 Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 101

If you're thinking about painting your own screen for a dedicated room (aka, your screen won't be terribly dark nor extraordinarily high-gain) you can get very good results from a decent 1/4" or less (NOT foam) roller. If you're looking for a higher than 1.0gain mix to try that rolls easy and can be tried for cheap, pick up some Rustoleum metalic-sterling-silver and mix it half/half with flat-white-interior latex. The waterbase doesn't fume your house and a half/half or weaker mix (half or more is plain white) is a nice mix of forgiving first-time roller mistakes and adding "pop" to your image.

If you don't like the results, you should have enough left over to try again once or twice, OR you can just paint over with whatever you would've in the first place.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #12 of 37 Old 04-10-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

that sounds good. If we can find the material to make our own screen for a good price we will do that. Just exploring my options

post #13 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ok here's a update for everyone. I think we are going to get the BenQ W1070 projector.

Sound system: actually going to listen to some today to help make our choices.

SPEAKERS: Leaning toward either Infinity Prime p163/p153/c351's for front/surround/center speakers, Also going out look at the Polk bookshelf speakers, as well as their c5i3 rti center channel speakers.

SUB: with either a SUVs pb-1000 sub or a rythmik lv12r. Sub

AVR: looking at Yamaha RX v675 or the V 575. Also looking at the Denon E400 7.1 4k 3D AVR.

We are going to make our own screen with blackout cloth I think.

What do you guys think?
post #14 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like a great plan, I think your on the right track. To save a boat load of money and if your into DIY, building your own sub is the easiest speaker project. For $300 you can build a sub that sounds as good as a sub costing well over $1000 retail. (may not look as good depending on your skills but it will sound as good and who cares if its in the dark anyway)

post #15 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Okay guys,
I talked to a very knowledgable audiophile at best buy and he suggested that I buy the epson 2030 LCD instead of the BenQ W107o. He explained to us that we should go with the LCD Ibstead of the DLP. What do you guys think? It was about the same price and he agreed with me on everything else I wanted to buy, some of which they don't even carry at best buy.

He said that best buy will match ny price on amazon too which is pretty cool.

So as of right now, I was thinking about getting the Epson 2030- $899.99 at best buy

Yahama AVR RX V765 7.2- $399.99 best buy

Front right and left speakers: Infinity Primus p163- $172 for both on amazon

Center speaker: infinity Primus PC351-$199.99 on amazon

Rear Speaker (2) $150 for both on amazon

Sub Rythmik LV12R with 300WRMS amp for $599 on rhythmic audio.com

Screen is going to be DIY so I don't have the price on that yet Grand total without screen: $2422 (approx)

Please let me know what you guys think !
post #16 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I talked to a very knowledgable audiophile at best buy
This statement alone is going to run into issues. Best Buy doesn't tend to have many 'professional' A/V employees, or enthusiasts that really know their stuff. While the forums don't necessarily deliver that, you will find that there are more than a few people here (myself included) who make a living on A/V and have years, or even decades of experience with front projection work and installation.
Quote:

...he suggested that I buy the epson 2030 LCD instead of the BenQ W107o. He explained to us that we should go with the LCD Ibstead of the DLP. What do you guys think? It was about the same price and he agreed with me on everything else I wanted to buy, some of which they don't even carry at best buy.
Why did he make this statement? What was his actual basis to recommend the softer image quality and less precise 3D, lower brightness, and slower response time which the 2030 offers instead of the W1070? I really like Epson projectors, and used the 8350 on more than a few installations, but the 2030 seems to fall on its face in comparison.

I'm not going to speak to the audio. I think you will really want to get responses from an audio specific forum such as what may be here or over at Audioholics if you would like. If you've already gone that route to determine your list, then that's great. I think the SVSubwoofers are what I would probably go with...
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box But, that's me. I like the sealed subwoofers far more personally.

I'm not at all in agreement with the guy at BB on this though. The 2030 is a decent entry level projector. The W1070 is better in almost all regards.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #17 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'm not an idiot and I don't think he fooled me into thinking he knew his ****, because he did. I am not going to try and convince you why I think he's legit, but I believe he is.

His reasoning, without going into a ton of detail, was the difference between the color wheels... It was a long conversation. I'm asking you guys what you think, BenQ W1070 or epson 2030? And why?
post #18 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Simple:

The W1070 uses a 6x color wheel with RGB/RGB segments that produces excellent color with low instances of RBE issues with people. The use of a single DLP chip in a projector means that the sharpest 1080p image possible comes from the use of this chip. DLP is a much faster technology, in fact, it is the fastest technology out there. So, you get the least amount of blurring to the image combined with an image that is already inherently sharper than what 3-chip solutions can offer. This also translates over to 3D support which requires a fast technology for best looking image possible. Finally, for any gaming, the W1070 has very fast response time which the 2030 can't match. With the 2030 in 'fast' mode, it also loses a fair bit of sharpness to pick up the speed, so it looks less sharp, while still having a slower response time than the W1070.

People who have been following these projectors since they have been released, were eagerly awaiting the 2030 to see how it would stack up against the W1070 and the Optoma HD131x. The 2030 is a bit of a let down from Epson with only two major redeeming qualities over the W1070. First, it is LCD technology so there is no color wheel and no chance of RBE issues for anyone. Second, it uses the $99 E-TORL lamp which is a huge breakthrough in long term TCO.

I love LCD technology, but the fact remains that at the entry level price point, DLP currently offers a better product for the money. Sales guys scare people away from plasma displays with talk of burn-in and the plasma leaking, and they scare people away from DLP with scare tactics of rainbows everywhere and the BS discussion of color light output. LCD projectors actually have no real color light output gain in comparison to a RGB/RGB color wheel DLP projector. The W1070 is a great projector and has many real advantages in image quality which the 2030 can't touch. Perhaps the next Epson entry level model will take into consideration the sharpness levels and image processing, but at the moment, it just doesn't measure up.

At about $1,900, the Panasonic AE8000 is hard to touch and bests what DLP has to offer, but not at $1,000, the 2030 isn't as good of a product. It is a GOOD product, just not as good.

post #19 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Simple:

The W1070 uses a 6x color wheel with RGB/RGB segments that produces excellent color with low instances of RBE issues with people. The use of a single DLP chip in a projector means that the sharpest 1080p image possible comes from the use of this chip. DLP is a much faster technology, in fact, it is the fastest technology out there. So, you get the least amount of blurring to the image combined with an image that is already inherently sharper than what 3-chip solutions can offer. This also translates over to 3D support which requires a fast technology for best looking image possible. Finally, for any gaming, the W1070 has very fast response time which the 2030 can't match. With the 2030 in 'fast' mode, it also loses a fair bit of sharpness to pick up the speed, so it looks less sharp, while still having a slower response time than the W1070.

People who have been following these projectors since they have been released, were eagerly awaiting the 2030 to see how it would stack up against the W1070 and the Optoma HD131x. The 2030 is a bit of a let down from Epson with only two major redeeming qualities over the W1070. First, it is LCD technology so there is no color wheel and no chance of RBE issues for anyone. Second, it uses the $99 E-TORL lamp which is a huge breakthrough in long term TCO.

I love LCD technology, but the fact remains that at the entry level price point, DLP currently offers a better product for the money. Sales guys scare people away from plasma displays with talk of burn-in and the plasma leaking, and they scare people away from DLP with scare tactics of rainbows everywhere and the BS discussion of color light output. LCD projectors actually have no real color light output gain in comparison to a RGB/RGB color wheel DLP projector. The W1070 is a great projector and has many real advantages in image quality which the 2030 can't touch. Perhaps the next Epson entry level model will take into consideration the sharpness levels and image processing, but at the moment, it just doesn't measure up.

At about $1,900, the Panasonic AE8000 is hard to touch and bests what DLP has to offer, but not at $1,000, the 2030 isn't as good of a product. It is a GOOD product, just not as good.

Thank you for your help. Many other people have said the same thing. So I think it's safe to say the BenQ is the better purchase at this price range! You guys are awesome!
post #20 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 PM

If I were in your position, I think I would take a slightly different approach. I would spend more money on the centerpiece of your home theater...the projector...and then fit my sound system into the remainder of the budget, and upgrade it piecemeal further down the road. You can find some pretty decent HTIB (Home Theater In a Box) systems for around $500, which would leave you with $2000 in your budget for the PJ and screen. And if you build a BOC screen, that shouldn't cost more than $100 or so.

If you act quickly (and nobody else on here grabs it up) Visual Apex has a single Epson 5010 Refurb in stock for just $1599. This was Epson's top-of-the-line a couple years ago, and is essentially the same projector as the current top-of-the-line 5030, but for about $1000 less. And as a refurb from an authorized dealer, it has the same full warranty as a new unit. The image quality is essentially identical to the 5030 in 2D, and it just gives up a couple non-essential features in 3D, but is still one of the best and brightest projectors for 3D. Here's the link:

http://www.visualapex.com/home-theater-projectors-refurbished/Epson-Projector-Details.asp?For-Projector-Model=Home-Cinema-5010-R

I bought a 5010-R from them for $1649 several weeks ago (before the limited stock they had quickly sold out), and it had 10 hrs on it but otherwise appeared to be brand new, in the box, with all accessories. And since I bought it with my Visa card, the warranty is automatically extended for an extra year.

And I already know that some people on here will deride any HTIB system, but honestly, in your size room the right HTIB will sound good, and people will be impressed. And unless you've spent a lot of time in a high-end audio setup already, you will probably be very happy with it. My first projector-based home theater was in a room a little bit smaller than yours, and I used a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 satellite/subwoofer system for audio, and it actually sounded really good and could get plenty loud.

And you can incrementally update your sound system as you go along, as you become more knowledgeable and discriminating. But I'm confident that you won't feel an immediate need to upgrade if you haven't already been spoiled.

Here's a link to an Onkyo HTIB system on Amazon for $597:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5600-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B00BLGUKFC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397278469&sr=8-3&keywords=onkyo+home+theater#productDetails

It's rated 4.5 stars by the owners, who seem to be very happy with it. Best Buy also sells it for the same price.

post #21 of 37 Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 PM

And a couple more things to check out...Accessories4less.com often has some very good deals on refurb/clearence audio gear. I've ordered from them a couple times in the past, and the service, the product, and the price was great. Here's a link to the HTIB systems they currently have:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/htib/home-audio/packaged-systems/1.html

And if you do go with the 5010, you can use Sony Playstation 3 3D glasses for it. You can pick them up on Amazon in perfect used/open box condition for about $14 each:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00562O8U0/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1397279757&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+playstation+3d+glasses&condition=used

But really, I can't recommend the 5010 at that price with a full warranty highly enough. It's really a great deal, and is well worth the extra money over the budget projectors you are looking at. And it has tons of lens zoom and lens shift, so you can install it almost anywhere, and you can play with different screen sizes. With the 5010, you won't feel any need to upgrade anytime soon, since you'll have pretty much the best image quality you can get for under $3000. So you probably avoid the upgrade bug until 4K is firmly established and affordable with plenty of content...which is still at least a few years out. So in the meantime you could concentrate your efforts on tinkering with and upgrading your audio system.

post #22 of 37 Old 04-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Does BB sell the 1070 near any of you? The BB here says they're totally dropping Benq AND I haven't seen the 1070 at BB online for a while. The ones near me push Epson pretty hard too (and Sony a little). I remember my first time looking at their options, made the mistake of asking about DLP and the magnolia fellow made it sound like Mitsubishi murdered his parents when he was 6.

Also, on top of everything else mentioned, black level and contrast are said to be the most important aspects of a display.. the 2030's measured CR is UNDER 1000:1. To drive home AVintegrated's point about the DLP advantage at this price, I don't believe there is ANY DLP currently sold that doesn't have better CR than the 2030. THAT all said, the 5030 has a solid 3X on/off CR advantage over the 1070, has very respectable 3D for an LCD and would be a steal to find (an equivalent) for $1600 if you can safely go that high.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #23 of 37 Old 04-12-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

I think we are just going to stick with the 1070 for the time being. I'm way more into this stuff than my dad is, and he's paying for it.... So if he gets into it, I can see him spending more and upgrading this system in the future.
post #24 of 37 Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys I was thinking about where we are going to put all of our equipment. The plan is to run everything into the closet, but how would I set that up so there is some ventilation so everything doesn't get super hot in there? Again, we are pretty handy with tools and everything but we don't want to spend a ton of money doing this either. Any suggestions would be appreciated

(Closet is in the pictures, it is pretty big, we were going to put a mini fridge in there too. .
post #25 of 37 Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

any suggestions?

post #26 of 37 Old 04-14-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:

any suggestions?

Yeah, get the 5010. smile.gif

So you'll have the AVR, the blu-ray player, and a satellite/cable box in the closet? I don't think heat will be a big concern since you aren't running any big amps or anything like that. Maybe just try not to get an AVR that is known for running hot. And whichever AVR you choose, just make sure it has some open space around it (particularly on top).

And if your basement is anything like mine, then it doesn't get too warm down there in the first place.

post #27 of 37 Old 04-14-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post

Yeah, get the 5010. smile.gif

So you'll have the AVR, the blu-ray player, and a satellite/cable box in the closet? I don't think heat will be a big concern since you aren't running any big amps or anything like that. Maybe just try not to get an AVR that is known for running hot. And whichever AVR you choose, just make sure it has some open space around it (particularly on top).

And if your basement is anything like mine, then it doesn't get too warm down there in the first place.

Ya that's very true. We are going to get the Yamaha RX v675 7.2 AVR. And ya that closet is huge so we shouldn't have any issues then. Thanks
post #28 of 37 Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:

Hey guys I was thinking about where we are going to put all of our equipment. The plan is to run everything into the closet, but how would I set that up so there is some ventilation so everything doesn't get super hot in there? Again, we are pretty handy with tools and everything but we don't want to spend a ton of money doing this either. Any suggestions would be appreciated

(Closet is in the pictures, it is pretty big, we were going to put a mini fridge in there too. .

Get a basic thermostat. Something like this will work.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_155770-79-40135_0__?Ntt=155770&UserSearch=155770&productId=3167651&rpp=48

Get a 12v computer case fan. There are tons of choices for these... try and decide how much air you need to move in CFM and how quiet you need them to be. Often bigger fans are quieter for the same CFM as multiple smaller fans, but not always... Just play around with some options... more small fans vs fewer larger fans and vice versa. Depending on your setup you may have a size preference/limitation as well. Newegg has a lot to choose from:
http://www.newegg.com/Case-Fans/SubCategory/ID-573

Get a 12v DC wall wart. Steal it from an old piece of gear, buy it on ebay, or check your local Goodwill/thrift stores.. my closest Goodwill store used to keep a basket of nothing but wall warts for $1 each. I grabbed several 12v units of different amperages and called it a day for $3-4. You can also buy an old alarm clock or whatever just for the power supply... it's still a good deal imo.

The tricky part, if there is one, to this whole setup is to match your power supply and fan(s) power draw. You'll need to get a 12v DC wall wart that meets/exceeds the combined amperage rating for your fans. The wall wart should be marked with it's output in volts/amps. The fans are marked as well, but it's sometime harder to find online. I've had luck looking at the pictures in the Newegg listings. The amp current draw is usually marked in the middle of the fan. If you don't see it just move on to another fan or try Google for an answer on a specific model.

Once you get all the stuff you want to hook it up like the below picture (I borrowed this off the internet... it's not my original drawing). Now you can set the thermostat to have the fan(s) come on when it gets hot in the closet and shut down when it's cool.

post #29 of 37 Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Have you thought about how you will control everything if it is in your closet? My Dish DVR remote uses RF, but everything else I own uses IR, so it would not work in a closet with a solid door.

You may need to get an IR blaster. Or if you remove the solid door, and replace it with a curtain that is not too thick, the IR may still penetrate it. When I was shopping around for black velvet curtains for my home theater, I came across a lot of black curtains that appeared to be opaque, but if you held them up you could actually see light through them. Something like that may work well.

post #30 of 37 Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Ya we have thought that May be a problem. It just makes sense to put everything int that closet because there is so much room in there. But I don't think we are going to want to have to retrofit the entire thing. We may just end up getting a low antertainment center to go under the screen.

We were thinking about turning the closet into a DVD library/liquor cabinet with a mini fridge for beer. So we will have to see how much $ we spend setting up the sound system, making the screen, and mounting the projector before we try and throw a bunch of cash into the closet
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page