post #31 of 34 Old 04-19-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB553 View Post

sounds like a plan, I like the idea of a fixed screen, problem is, where to place it. my apartment really only has one area in which to watch TV/Movies, and thats the area where my current TV is. So mounting a fixed screen on the wall wouldnt work. I wonder if they make some sort of easle, or possibly a way to hang some chains from the ceiling, and when I want to watch the projector, I just put the fixed screen in place, and when I want to watch the LED tv, i can take it down. Granted, im not sure what the weight of a fixed screen is. I understand that screen material is fairly lightweight. I wonder if there is an option for this.
I have the 100" Elite manual pull down screen and it is fairly light. It also comes with the hardware to mount it onto a ceiling. It is quite common to mount these on the ceiling. I personally did not though because I had no reason to.

You just want to make sure it is screwed into something sturdy, a beam if possible. You can also get a motorized screen but that would require a little more work as you would have to hide the wiring.

As far as a projector vs. a TV. I have a 65VT60 and recently got a budget 1080 projector (PJD7820HD). It is probably one of the cheapest 1080p projectors you can buy. I must say, watching on a 100" screen has been more enjoyable then watching on my 65" plasma which has one of the best pictures around. Size definitely is wowing me over. Could not be happier and believe it or not, the picture on the projector actually looks pretty good. No complaints here. Best purchase I made at an unbelievable budget price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I'm currently using a simple DIY fixed-frame screen that's suspended from the ceiling in front of the LCD TV on hooks. Added a second row of hooks so now it flips up and saves me from transporting it to store away elsewhere. A few chains sharing the load should be no problem. If you make sure to mount from the studs you could hang a second building.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #33 of 34 Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

sounds like a plan, I like the idea of a fixed screen, problem is, where to place it. my apartment really only has one area in which to watch TV/Movies, and thats the area where my current TV is. So mounting a fixed screen on the wall wouldnt work. I wonder if they make some sort of easle, or possibly a way to hang some chains from the ceiling, and when I want to watch the projector, I just put the fixed screen in place, and when I want to watch the LED tv, i can take it down. Granted, im not sure what the weight of a fixed screen is. I understand that screen material is fairly lightweight. I wonder if there is an option for this.
Many screens can be hung as well as wall mounted. Hung does not mean 'from the ceiling', it just means hung. Typically there are eye hooks on either end of the screen case. These can be hooked onto any dropping hook mechanism, such as chain from the ceiling. But, if you are leery of touching the ceiling, then put L brackets on the wall, and run hardware through the end of the L-Bracket to hang the screen from. I used toggle bolts (EZ-Anchors) at my last apartment with a 106" manual projection screen that pulled down in front of my 50" plasma. It worked perfectly fine and the hardware stayed in place without any issues.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #34 of 34 Old 04-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

i know this may not be a "great" solution but...what if one were to tie the bottom of the screen to something so that when it is extended, it would be anchored at the bottom so to speak. This way, the screen stays straight and taught and maybe the wave issue wouldnt be as prevelant?

I had a Da-Lite Manual screen which wrinkled pretty bad, a quick solution was a 5# old style barbell/dumbbell weight slipped on each end. There was about an inch of the bottom rod protruding out of each side and the weights fit perfect.  Took seconds to put them on and off, and they are easy to hide when not in use. My room was pretty dark in the day with the shutters closed and you did not notice them when watching something and it made the waves disappear.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page