Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys-

I currently have a trusty Panasonic AE900U, which has been great for these past several years.

Recently I moved into a new house, and the only place to set up my HT is in the living room, which has a fair amount of ambient light. It's controllable to a certain extent, but not totally like my basement was.

I would like to upgrade my projector to something brighter, 3D, if possible. I'm totally fine buying a model that's a few years old and getting a new bulb if it will save me money. Trying to keep the cost as low as I can, within reason. Looking for suggestions!

I have a 108" grey screen, can someone recommend a screen as well? I think I might have to knock the screen size down to 92" as I can only get the projector about 12' away from the wall.

I think I would prefer LCD, but I'm not up to speed on the most current install methods, I remember the LCD was able to be a lot more flexible in positioning when I purchased my original one.

Thanks!
Charlie

loving my completed home theater. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looking like the Epson 3020 might work well for my application. Thoughts would be appreciated!

post #3 of 22 Old 04-09-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
with your budgeting range I'd go with the Benq W1070... it has some minor lens shift and will be decently easy to place... the 3020 doesn't have any. the last of the LCD's in that lower range that has lens shift is the 8350 making it EXTREMELY easy to place, but for a lot more money than any of the other epsons' that are comparable, or the benq or the optoma
post #4 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! And that will be a significant upgrade from the AE900U? I don't care if it's "the best", just that it'll work with some
Ambient light and is "better" than my current one. Appreciate the rec!

post #5 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
The W1070 I would call a good step up from the AE900.

The 3020 is similar in quality, but has the look of LCD and costs a bit more, which doesn't make it the best value.

The AE8000U from Panasonic is a very solid jump, but is better for darker rooms, or some light on a smaller screen.

With the W1070 you will just have to ensure that you can install it where it must go, which may or may not be possible in your setup. The AE900U offers a tremendous amount of placement flexibility, the W1070 offers very little. It's a great value, but limited in terms of setup.

But, since you said the projector would only be about 12' from the screen (lens to screen or back wall to screen?) then the W1070 is really nice as it is a shorter throw model.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm?td_=11&id_=120&l_=0

120" diagonal from 11' lens to screen.

Keep your 108" grey screen with the W1070 and a 11' throw distance:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm?td_=11&id_=108&l_=0

The W1070 is very bright and will handle that diagonal with no problems whatsoever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As long as I have some vertical flexibility, the distance to screen is totally open. It's about 12' from lens to screen.

It's in an open area and i don't want it encroaching on head space overly much.

post #7 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The W1070, center of lens, must be between about 1" to 5" above the top edge of the screen when ceiling mounted upside down. This tends not to encroach to much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

cool... that should be fine.

is there a good, buget screen i could use that would offer wider viewing angles?

the grey wolf i have is pretty terrible even slightly off axis.

post #9 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

If you can go with a white screen, then try the Elite Sable screens...

http://www.amazon.com/Screens-ER120WH1-SableFrame-Projection-Screen/dp/B00366S0UW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397154743&sr=8-1&keywords=elite+sable+screen

Fixed frame from 92" to 180" in size for a very reasonable price and decent quality for a great price in a fixed frame screen design.

post #10 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is there any reason I couldn't use a white screen? I do not have a light controlled room.

Also, do the generic ps3 3d glasses work with the benq?

post #11 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 49
BenQ is DLP link only so PS3 glasses won't work. Without light control you should stick to the gray screen.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #12 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ick. Any LCD that use normal glasses that have lens shift that might be good options?

Do all grey screens have that off axis stuff or has it gotten better?

post #13 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie97L View Post

Ick. Any LCD that use normal glasses that have lens shift that might be good options?

the 8350 is the only low end option under $2k that has lens shift
post #14 of 22 Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

The off-axis stuff is needed to make the screen not be affected by light in the room that is coming from above or the sides. There are some specially waved/ribbed screens that have wider side-angle viewing, but that wider viewing cone means they no longer deflect light coming from the side..only light from above doesn't affect these types.

Simple
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-11-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there any reason I couldn't use a white screen? I do not have a light controlled room.
You pretty much answered why it is recommended to use a grey screen. Controlling light in a room, with shades, dimmers, paint, and carpet is the most significant improvement anyone, at any time, can make to a front projection setup.

A grey screen is a band-aid to a poor room.

That said, if you only do critical viewing after dark, then the room won't have ambient light issues, and you can turn the lights off, and a white screen will certainly be acceptable and look decent.

RETROREFLECTIVE screens reject light from the sides/top/bottom some. This is not an inherent quality related to grey screens!

There are plenty of grey screens which are not retroreflective that look very good. In fact, most don't have this issue and it is a complaint a remember a great deal relating to the Grey Wolf screen that you have. Most major screen manufacturers will provide you with screen material samples, and will also have information on their website about the different screen materials, angle of viewing, etc. to help you understand exactly what it is you are buying, and what they are selling.

ie: http://www.dalite.com/screen-surfaces/front-projection/standard-resolution

DaLite has their High Contrast Cinema Vision material which I really like. It is a slight positive gain grey screen material with minimal sparkling and hot-spotting issues and a pretty solid viewing area. But, it is NOT as good as most minimal gain white screens in overall quality. What it does well, is help compensate for a less than ideal room some.
Quote:

Also, do the generic ps3 3d glasses work with the benq?
I'm hard pressed to give an answer on this. It looks like the PS3 glasses sync with the PS3, then the PS3 puts out video that the projector likely does support. So, if the sync is between the glasses and the PS3, then I would think that they will work with this projector, or any of the other 3D compatible projectors. But, the sync is NOT between the glasses and the projector, but between the glasses and the PS3. I'm not swearing by that, it's just what it appears to be in some brief reading.

But, new glasses can be had for under $25 or so a set, and will perform well. Considering the jump in price to a better LCD projector, I would get new glasses instead of a projector which doesn't look any better but costs $500 more.

I would stick with the BenQ W1070 in your setup. It seems ideal, and comes in at a solid price point.

post #16 of 22 Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! That addressed all my concerns.

What model of glasses work the best? That's fine price wise, I only saw the benq ones which were 100 ish each.

post #17 of 22 Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! That addressed all my concerns.

What model of glasses work the best? That's fine price wise, I only saw the benq ones which were 100 ish each.
Sainsonic has some, and there are more models out there. There is a thread about 3D glasses in the main forums which you will want to take a look at. More and more glasses are coming to the market which are DLP Link compatible, so a bit of research to do there. I recently picked up the Sainsonic 3D glasses for the W1070, but I haven't tried them out yet.

post #18 of 22 Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I got the W1070, and I'm just trying to fire it up to test it.

I plugged in the power cable, nada. No lights no nothing on the PJ.

Is there a trick to the first time start up?

post #19 of 22 Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Or is it likely DOA? Ugh.

EDIT:

I got it powered up. Looks like there was some crap on the power socket or something. Who knows. Seems to be working fine now!
old corps likes this.

post #20 of 22 Old 04-21-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also, man that is a bright projector. I had almost all the windows open and on a Pixar movie it wasn't washed out hardly at all. The hobbit in 3d was, but it's also a darker movie. But there was a LOT of light coming in.

post #21 of 22 Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, man that is a bright projector. I had almost all the windows open and on a Pixar movie it wasn't washed out hardly at all. The hobbit in 3d was, but it's also a darker movie. But there was a LOT of light coming in.
I use my W1070 on a 161" diagonal screen with 1.3 gain (minimal gain) in low-power mode. It is very viewable for sports with lights on in my unfinished basement. That's bare 60 watt bulbs about 20 feet or so from the screen shining on it. Still a good image.

Much better with the lights out.

I need to grab a light meter and take some serious ambient light measurements and take some photos. Good directional lights away from the screen will really leave you smiling at almost any screen size.

post #22 of 22 Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, it started being ditzy yesterday again so I requested an exchange from Amazon, which arrived today, and fired right up. So, all is well!

Not sure how I'm liking the 3d glasses, they sit pretty far away from my face, maybe they just need adjusting. Very happy tho! Can't wait to get it set up next month!

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page