Is the Optoma HD30B a good one for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With very little info about this projector available, I'd appreciate some advice. My theater is small, with virtually no light. The room is about 12' wide and 15' deep. The screen is 92" diagonal. It's a basement room, so only one window, facing east, with a thick blind over it. It happens to be behind the screen, but you can only see a faint outline when the sun is shining directly on it. Nothing in the evenings when we watch movies.
I'm using a DLP Sharp 720P that I bought a few years ago. It has a very good image, but It's time for a 1080P unit with better blacks and the bonus of 3D.
I've checked most of the units in the under $2000.00 range. I'm in the computer business and can get Epson, Optoma, Benq, Infocus, and NEC at very good prices. I want a home theater projector, not a bright entertainment projector. It is used 100% for blue-ray and dvd movies. Most of the newer units are bright and I'm afraid would be too bright on a 92" screen in a dark room. The HD30B seems to have the specs I'm looking for, relatively low brightness and good contrast. The fact that it will sit closer to the screen than my present unit is a good thing. Right now, the projector is on a table between two comfy chairs. If it's closer to the screen, it won't be beside us, where we can hear the fan and there will be more seating room.
Do you have any comments regarding this model and how it would fit my needs?
Thank you,
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The hd30b is, I believe, currently the least expensive Optoma projector that uses an RGBRGB colorwheel. I'm not 100% on its software/features set, but that 1600lm rating coupled with a 240watt lamp indicates a tighter lightpath where even if it uses a fixed iris, the contrast and black-floor should be very solid. It should fit somewhere above the CR of the Benq w1070, but likely below the w7000/7500 (which I assume are beyond your pricepoint).

If you can find a Mitsubishi 7900, it should provide a similar or possibly better CR, and darker overall picture for a smaller price, but the hd30b is a hard one to beat if your special situation can get you one for a very good price.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks FToast. I appreciate your information. One thing; you mention the hd20b. I expect that's a type-o, and you meant the hd30b that I'm interested in;Correct? I will look into the Mits as well and keep my eyes open for one.
If any one has more insight, especially someone who has used the hd30b, I'd love to hear what you have to say as well.
Larry
post #4 of 9 Old 04-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

You're right, that was a typo. I meant the hd30b. Fixed
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I'll be getting this projector. Once I found out the wheel is 6X speed, and I could get a very good deal on it, I decided to go for it. It should be perfect for my needs.
I'll report back once I've set it up and have some comments on it.
Thanks for your advice.
Larry
post #6 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

After doublechecking and then calling Optoma I found out the 30b is their ONLY RGBRGB model. I really wish they offered a lower priced (lower wattage or maybe 720p) version, or something similar to the original hd25 for the <$1000 crowd.

I look forward to hearing about it. I'm very curious where exactly the contrast sits, it should be impressive.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2014, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hopefully I'll have it soon. Maybe next week. I'll definitely start a thread once I've had a chance to evaluate it.
Larry
post #8 of 9 Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Why only a 92" screen? Are you limited by wall space?
post #9 of 9 Old 04-20-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the room is small. A 92" screen is the largest I can use with a speaker on each side.
Larry
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page