Vertical Offset to cope with 12 foot ceiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. Let me begin by saying that I'm much more versed in the audio side of things, I'm just getting into the video realm.

In any event, I am looking into putting in a new projector in my Great Room. The big issue I'm running into is that my ceilings are 12' high and I want to mount the projector 13' from the wall. I'd like to have a 120" final image size measured on the diagonal. The problem this leaves me with is that to have the screen on eye level, I need to have the center of the image 7' to 8' from the ceiling. Is there any projector which will be able to accommodate this vertical offset?

Thanks in advance!
-Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 05:44 AM

Liked: 13
You don't need the projector in the center of the image. If it's flipped upside down (ceiling mount) you need the projector even with the top of your screen. Do an image search on google for projector alignment .
Beyond that you could go 15% above. The keystone could give you that 15%. I wouldn't do it, but you could.
Don't install anything before trying it out with a ladder . Specs and manuals are liars!

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 366
The Epson 5030 has about the most offset of any projector on the market. I believe that it can give about 1 full screen height of offset. So, if your screen is 59" tall (120" diagonal) then you can have the center of the lens about 59" above the top of the projected image. With 12' ceilings and the top of your screen about 7' from the floor, that's right about at ceiling height....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5030UB.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5030UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm?td_=13&id_=120&l_=0

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_5030ub_projector_review.htm?page=Key-Features

What matters:
Quote:
Placement flexibility. Epson's projectors feature a 2.1:1 manual zoom/focus lens with horizontal and vertical lens shift, which is also manually controlled. The zoom lens can create a 120" diagonal 16:9 image from throw distances between 11'9" to 25' 1". The lens shift has a total range of 3 image heights and 2 image widths, with the middle position putting the center of the lens at the center of the screen. The range of the lens shift is roughly oval-shaped, so you cannot reach maximum horizontal and maximum vertical shift simultaneously.

So, with the lens on center, you can put the center of the lens up to one full screen height above the top of your screen. This makes it ideal for your tall ceiling heights.

You are not going to get this level of offset from any other model I'm aware of. But, the Mits. 7900 comes close if you can find one, it's a good looking 'cheaper' DLP projector. But, it may struggle with the 120" screen size.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

The Epson 5030 has about the most offset of any projector on the market. I believe that it can give about 1 full screen height of offset. So, if your screen is 59" tall (120" diagonal) then you can have the center of the lens about 59" above the top of the projected image. With 12' ceilings and the top of your screen about 7' from the floor, that's right about at ceiling height....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5030UB.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5030UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm?td_=13&id_=120&l_=0

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_5030ub_projector_review.htm?page=Key-Features

What matters:
So, with the lens on center, you can put the center of the lens up to one full screen height above the top of your screen. This makes it ideal for your tall ceiling heights.

You are not going to get this level of offset from any other model I'm aware of. But, the Mits. 7900 comes close if you can find one, it's a good looking 'cheaper' DLP projector. But, it may struggle with the 120" screen size.

That offset would actually would be perfect for what I need. Is there a place where it actually says that it will offset that much?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitardude View Post

That offset would actually would be perfect for what I need. Is there a place where it actually says that it will offset that much?

Thanks for the help!
I was quoting the review, and I've used the model first hand. It really has an amazing amount of offset, and will do exactly what you need.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM

Does the image suffer at all when mounting the projector higher than the top edge of the screen? I'm probably going to be purchasing a 5030UB and I have some room to play with. If I mount the projector on the ceiling it will be about 18 inches above the top edge of the screen. But I could easily mount it lower if that will give me a better picture.
Thanks for the help.
Martin
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBaird View Post

Does the image suffer at all when mounting the projector higher than the top edge of the screen? I'm probably going to be purchasing a 5030UB and I have some room to play with. If I mount the projector on the ceiling it will be about 18 inches above the top edge of the screen. But I could easily mount it lower if that will give me a better picture.
Thanks for the help.
Martin
There should be zero image distortion when using lens shift with a proper lens. This is exactly what lens shift is for and what it is supposed to do. It has been used by photographers for decades and is not a 'new' technology, so the lens design is very well understood and utilized without introducing image defects.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 PM

Thanks very much for the clarification. I appreciate it very much.
I'll mount it on the ceiling.
Martin