How to get rid of black bars on movie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey everyone, yes I am a newbee when it comes to projectors. I have the benq w1070, 120inch elite screen, and a sony bdp s5100 blu ray player. I just set it up last night and was playing Wreck It Ralph to test the picture out and I was wondering if the settings on either the projector or in the dvd player I have to adjust to get rid of the black bars above and below the screen when playing the movie. I have see other videos of people playing movies on their screens that fill up the entire screen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark4ya View Post

Hey everyone, yes I am a newbee when it comes to projectors. I have the benq w1070, 120inch elite screen, and a sony bdp s5100 blu ray player. I just set it up last night and was playing Wreck It Ralph to test the picture out and I was wondering if the settings on either the projector or in the dvd player I have to adjust to get rid of the black bars above and below the screen when playing the movie. I have see other videos of people playing movies on their screens that fill up the entire screen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

it's called different aspect ratios... some movies, like WiR are "scope" .. the movies that fill the screen (or nearly) are ones that are 1.78:1 or 1.85:1... unless you zoom or crop, there's no way to get rid of the bars... unless of course you want to build a diy masking system
post #3 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark4ya View Post

Aspect ratios: do some research on them.

biggrin.gif

Your projector is a 16:9 aspect ratio. That's a 1.78:1 ratio, or just 1.78.

Many movies are 2.35 or 1.85 aspect ratio, which is wider than your screen.

So, there are black bars.

This is normal, this is proper, this should be expected.

If you hate them, then you can go to a CIH setup, you can use masking, you can do a 2.35 screen and move the projector, have the projector 'zoom in' on the image, cropping the sides, etc., etc.

If you are like everyone else, you pretty much just live with them because the cost to get rid of those black bars impacts image quality (typically) and has some cost associated with it (always).

I have a bit of a writeup on it here:
http://www.avintegrated.com/aspect_ratios.html

May help you understand what you may miss out on by changing the image that the director intended for you to see.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey, thanks a lot, I was just looking into anamorphic lenses, but I am not in the market to buy a lens that costs just as much or more than the projector itself. And from what I have been researching, I will have to live with the black bars for awhile. I just finished my dedicated theater room in my basement (actually a 13 x 16ft bedroom converted into a dedicated theater room) but it beats watching a 55 inch led tv now! I still have to hook up my audio equipment and off I go. I might upgrade in a year or two to the 2:35 screen and a different projector, but I will enjoy this for awhile now. Thanks for the input and help!

post #5 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
food for thought. . . . what if you build for 2:35 and then watch a 16:9 movie? Just have bars on the side?

I too hate looking at the bars as you lose soooo much screen, but there is no way around it I guess as every movie I have watched seems to have a different aspect ratio. lol

post #6 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 89
If you have a fixed screen then the easy, cheap way is removable masking.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post

food for thought. . . . what if you build for 2:35 and then watch a 16:9 movie? Just have bars on the side?

I too hate looking at the bars as you lose soooo much screen, but there is no way around it I guess as every movie I have watched seems to have a different aspect ratio. lol
My opinion on this has always been pretty strong:

You just bought a 1.78 projector. All HDTV is 1.78 viewing. Movies are often 2.35, but many are still 1.85. 1.85 is close to 1.78 and may have a bit of a black top/bottom edge to it.

But, without an anamorphic lens, your projector is 1.78. Always. If you use a 2.35 screen without an anamorphic lens, then you are wasting brightness and resolution off the top/bottom of the screen.
As well, you lose size whenever you go from 2.35 to 1.78 viewing and you must adjust your zoom/focus/position to do the 1.78 to 2.35 adjustment.

But, in a wide room, or a room with lower ceilings, going 2.35 does make sense for some.

I just find that it makes a lot less sense than many people think it does. They've bought into the hype instead of looking at their room setup and using the aspect ratio that makes the most sense for them and gives them the best (not biggest) image for their room.

Many people who go 2.35 could have kept the width of their new 2.35 screen but just taken the height up to 1.78 and had the exact same 2.35 width, but no lens/focus adjustments when they switch to 1.78 viewing, and their 1.78 viewing would have been bigger and better than before.

Of course, I say this using a 161" diagonal screen of 1.78 aspect ratio.

If I ever went 2.35, it would include a side masking system, an anamorphic lens (or be native 2.35), and would be in a room that truly supported the 2.35 aspect ratio.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page