Improving Cable PQ on Projector (W1080ST) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I'm using a BenQ 1080ST on a 120'' screen (Draper Luma 2). Previously I had a 65'' Plasma (Panasonic 65ST30).

Now when I watch HD sports channels, the picture is lacks sharpness and seems to have macroblocking and/or pixelated (not sure of proper term here) versus my Plasma. The plasma beats it by a long shot.

I understand this may seem impossible since my screen is nearly three times the volume. Is there a way to improve my BenQ picture to get closer to the plasma?
I've already calibrated it (Disney WOW & DVE HD), but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. If it's just compression from the cable company, then I guess that's all I can do.

Is there any A/V equipment that can improve HD Cable PQ? Mostly I care about Sports, I'm usually the go to guy for sporting events. Would outputting the cable through a PC be an alternative? Or upscaling from a receiver?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Are you running the projector directly via HDMI from the cable box, or is it passing through an A/V receiver first? If running through an A/V receiver, bypass it and run it directly to see if that impacts the image at all.

If your cable box has component video output, you may want to give that a try as well.

I know my Denon tends to induce some noise from time to time using its internal scaling, and it's not a good thing. I get great results using component or a direct feed via HDMI.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM

Liked: 15
I just got a 1080st and my 130" home made screen set up this week so I was going to start a thread about this myself.

I helped my picture quality by using the scaler in my Yamaha A3020 receiver to upscale my Directv output to 1080P. That took care of a lot of the macroblocking. The picture still looks a little dull and fuzzy especially compared to a Blu Ray but that is to be expected. I am going to have to monkey with the picture settings to see if I can help get the picture to pop a little bit more.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Interesting. Yep I'm passing it through my A/V receiver right now. I'll see if it running it directly to the cable box improves it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - (W1080ST) by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page