Is Epson 5030 just as capable as the Epson 2030 in ambient bright with NO CONTROLLED light living rooms? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello. I am ordering a 5030 based on the great reviews and because of the great image I personally saw at Best Buy. I will be using it primary for night watching movies with lights out in my not light controlled living room. I wad watching some ads about the 2030 and those ads praise the 2030 capability to produce great images in any environment even rooms with all lights and in the day time. I have seen youtube videos and reviews praising the 2030 in that matter. Is this because the 2030 is not intended for professionals so for average Joe this projector image looks good in a daylight living room ? I mean would I get the same or even better results with the 5030 in said not light controlled rooms ? The 2030 seems almost like the perfect projector so one would expect the 5030 to be even better in everything. Any insight ? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Obonillaf, I am a new owner of the Epson 5030UB. Just going off of Epson's website, 5030 is 2400 lumens and the 2030 is 2000 lumens. I would expect the 2030 would be more than adequate for brightness, relative to the 5030's brightness.

From there, you are comparing a projector that is $899 MSRP to one that is $2,599 MSRP. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the 2030. I gathered right off the bat that you will be missing the THX certification and thus the THX video modes for 2D and 3D. Both of which are said to be very close to ideal out of the box, but also allow you to tweak any settings for these modes to dial in PQ. You also will be missing the better black levels of the 5030. From Epson, they rate the 5030 as "up to 600,000:1" for the contrast ratio and the 2030 as "up to 15,000:1". Also it would appear the 2030 lacks any lens shift which could make mounting / placement more of an issue. Also missing is the auto iris which is utilized to get the contrast and black level to where they claim.

I would say the 2030 offers a lot for the price point. Whether or not the other features are worth the added price is really up to you. You could buy three 2030's for the price of one 5030UB or you could buy one better projector. I'm sure the difference is apples and oranges between the two when compared side by side. The 2030 appears to be more of a presentation projector for office use and the 5030UB a dedicated home theater projector. I say this because it has a built in 2w speaker and physically shaped and sized like a presentation projector. Many folks use office grade projectors for big screen fun at home and there is nothing wrong with that.

Either way, I would suggest you do a lot of research on a screen. The screen is going to make a lot of difference. A good screen won't make a bad projector look good, but a bad screen will make a good projector look bad. I know first hand with trying DIY Blackout Cloth on my 5030UB. Looked terrible. Now I am still searching for the "right screen"!

I am researching the Elite Cinegrey 5D screen right now. I would suggest you give that a look and work from there, especially if you have a bright room with no light control. It appears to be a good bang for the buck screen but I haven't seen it myself or found a lot of solid info on it.

--Matt
post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer. As a matter of fact I just ordered a 5030 projector from B&H Photo and am on the same boat as you because the next step will be looking for the best screen. I'm not buying it once until I have my projector and I "play" with my walls trying different sizes and positions so I can define the size of the screen I want to. Yes, I read about the more lumens the 5030 has in comparison with the 2030 but got captivated at all the ads I saw about how good the 2030 is in almost any ambient, even at daylight. So if the 5030 is equally as good in said ambient PLUS better PQ and other feature the extra spent money is well worth it. I know there is also the 3020 model but I still have in my mind the images I saw last week at BrandsMart and Best Buy when I saw the 5030 performing. It was an out-of-this-world experience for me because I never thought such a "perfect" image better to my eyes than the Led TVS could be displayed in an open room with lights like the show rooms they have in Best Buy and BrandsMart. I have always been tempted to get a projector but last week experience was an eye opening to me.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM

Liked: 12
Sounds good! I think it is money well spent. I too just took the plunge and moved from a 60" Plasma.

I have a dark light controlled room, but so far I feel like I want better black levels and contrast. Coming from Plasma, I am used to the deep blacks and great contrast. I think my biggest problem is when the screen is off on the Plasma, you see a dark grey / almost black screen. When you turn the projector off, you have a much larger all white screen that is still visible when it is close to pitch black in the room. I think a grey screen is what I want. What is funny to me is many people say that you don't need to worry about a grey screen as these 5030UB's have very good blacks and contrast. I took my projector to my brother in laws and he has an older Panoview Grey Wolf II screen that is grey and 1.8 gain. I have to say the image looked great and the sparkles from the screen were minimal and only apparent on very bright scenes.

What I have learned is in a completely dark room, his screen looked good and my blackout cloth looked terrible. I tried a matte white 1.0 gain cheap screen from Best Buy and it is better than the blackout cloth, but not nearly as good as my brother in law's screen.

From the little I know and understand, if you have a bright room the screen is going to be a major piece of the puzzle. I guess it really comes down to how much you want to replicate having a "big TV" that you can watch all hours. Unfortunately a Black Diamond screen from SI is almost as much as the projector frown.gif. There are alternatives, but I would spend the time figuring out screen gain, color and how much ambient light reduction you will want and the trade offs involved.

Using the wall to figure out screen size is perfect and will give you an idea of what it looks like with daylight pouring in and when it is dark at night.

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase!

--Matt
obonillaf likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I LOVE my 5030. But don't kid yourself, you can watch it in a room with the windows open and lights on. This picture of mine has the camera flash on, but the can lights off. And honestly is a little brighter picture than if the cans were on. I have those cans (in the picture) on a separate switch, for when we're not using the PJ.

IMG_2096_zpsbc54c786.jpg
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I understand. I'm planning to use my projector only at night, wilth all lights out and just little light coming from outside. My worries are based on the fact that I have read that a living room with all lights outs and considerably dark (e.g. you can't read a newspaper) is NOT considered a light controlled dark room so you will always have light problems because of the reflections. Anyway, I'm hoping said reflections won't do much damage and I could enjoy my PJ. It's not intended to be a substitute for my HDTV in the living room.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2014, 06:18 AM

Liked: 11
I am by no means an expert, but I have a non controlled light environment that some would consider extreme. However the 5030UB is amazing for us. Usually we turn it on around 7:30pm and watch uncompressed HD TV from our HTPC hooked to an OTA antennae. Our throw distance is 14 ft on a 100" screen I built myself. (I did compare it with a black diamond, but couldn't really see a $6000 difference improvement. Or a hundred dollar difference for that matter. So, for now, my screen stays.) Some of the modes (Dynamic) are actually too bright when full ambient darkness settles in.

The 5030UB gives us the very best for our entertainment dollar even in our non light controlled living room. We love it. Best of luck to you.
obonillaf likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzofsteel View Post

I am by no means an expert, but I have a non controlled light environment that some would consider extreme. However the 5030UB is amazing for us. Usually we turn it on around 7:30pm and watch uncompressed HD TV from our HTPC hooked to an OTA antennae. Our throw distance is 14 ft on a 100" screen I built myself. (I did compare it with a black diamond, but couldn't really see a $6000 difference improvement. Or a hundred dollar difference for that matter. So, for now, my screen stays.) Some of the modes (Dynamic) are actually too bright when full ambient darkness settles in.

The 5030UB gives us the very best for our entertainment dollar even in our non light controlled living room. We love it. Best of luck to you.

That's so good to hear! Could it be possible for you to post some photos of your set up? My PJ hasn't arrive yet so I anxiously keep watching PJ videos at youtube.com.

This is not an Epson projector mind you (it's an Optoma HD131XE) and obviously it's not a proper "screen" but just the thought of watching Indiana Jones in this way REALLY, just REALLY let you immerse in the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Jc11VD8iI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread