First Time Projector - HELP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking into getting a projector for my new finished basement. Primarily I would be using this projector for movies and video gaming. Also the space I would like to place the projector would be ceiling mounted and only around 9 feet from the wall I will be projecting on. I could put it farther but because it would be more in the way farther back due to a low break in the ceiling for duct work I would prefer to keep it at the 9 ft distance. I will place the main couch seating about 12-13 ft back so a bigger screen size shouldn't be a problem. For my budget I would like to stay $1000 or under...however lower the better but around 1000 would be about my max.

So some criteria are:
  • Trying to get a shorter throw projector to get the biggest picture I can in that limited distance from the wall.
  • I would like to have 1080p if possible, I plan to watch most of my movies in blu-ray.
  • Input lag is a bit of a worry for video games so a projector that has very low input lag would be great.
  • Also, 3D performance is a non issue as I do not plan on using it.

Some questions I have are:
  • I have no idea if DLP or LCD would be better as I am worried about the "rainbow effect". Also DLP or LCD for video gaming??
  • Can I get a longer throw projector and just use the zoom to make the picture larger?

Reading a lot through these forums I have zeroed in on the benqw1080st but then reading about some of the epson models maybe they would be a better choice?? LCD maybe better than DLP?? However I'm not sure if any epsons have a short enough throw distance for my needs.

Getting lost in the details....any guidance or opinions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 302
DLP for video gaming, 9' throw distance (lens to screen) is pretty short throw and you are very limited.

Assuming 9' lens to screen, and a 120" diagonal with 13' viewing distance.

There are ZERO projectors that can do that.

There is one, and only one, real solution...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1080ST.htm

The W1080ST can throw a 120" diagonal from 6' to 7'2" from the screen. You can go larger, or smaller as you want. It's very versatile in position, has very low input lag, and is a great value for the money.

You will need a good fixed frame screen with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! I was figuring that would be my best option but I wanted to make sure it was the right decision.

I plan to just project this on a large flat white wall to start with for a while before investing in a screen....will that be ok?

Are the warranties on the BenQ projectors good?

Also, have any suggestions on where to get a good price on a 1080st?

Thanks again!
post #4 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32

I use walls instead of a screen.  One wall is painted with a "screen" paint recommended by projector central and the other is not (original to the house/builder off white).  The second photo is of the off white wall (projector vs 70 inch TV).  The others are from my basement where I painted the wall (but the image was okay before I painted it...now it is a little brighter/better color).

I bought two projectors (Epson and Viewsonic) from Amazon but I think Best Buy has similar prices.

post #5 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure, but I don't think the above poster is using the W1080ST.

Short throw projectors need extremely flat screens. This can be a wall, and that will be fine, but a .25" variance of the wall will impact the projected image rather severely. This is because of the sharp throw angle of short throw projectors. Typical projectors aren't impacted by this almost at all because their throw angle is very mild. About 15 or 20 degrees at the most, while a short throw projector may be working at 60+ degrees of projection angle.

Of course, use your wall, see how it looks, then determine if it is satisfactory. If it isn't, because of image distortion caused by a non-even wall surface, then get a fixed frame screen at the size you want. Or make a screen using material that is very flat. They key is the flat screen (or wall) in this case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32

Oops.  I do not use a BenQ 1080ST or any show throw projectors...I was only referring to using my wall as a screen. Sorry.

post #7 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I can understand what your saying about the large angle the short throw projectors require...also I know my wall is not "perfectly" flat but I think I will do exactly what you suggested and use the wall and get a feel for the size screen I would want to purchase for the wall as well.

Keeping an eye on the benq w1080st right now on amazon. Its 950 right now but I know it was down to almost 850 in March....so hoping it takes a bit of a dip at least very soon!

Thanks again for all the advice it has eased my mind! smile.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post

Oops.  I do not use a BenQ 1080ST or any show throw projectors...I was only referring to using my wall as a screen. Sorry.
No need to apologize at all. The photos showing the use of a wall as a screen is great information to share and I appreciate it completely. I just wanted to clarify my request for a 'flat' screen. Wall, door, woman... as long as it is perfectly flat, you are in good shape. wink.gif

post #9 of 14 Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 AM

Hey AV,

You mention above that the 1080st can throw a 120" image from 6.0' to 7'2", Which is better or doesn't it matter? I am using Carls BO cloth as my test screen and not sure if I will paint it or leave as is. Thanks again for all of your help, The Chief mount you recommended does everything I needed it to do as far as adjustability.  By flat screens do you mean flat and level to the wall or the actual texture of the screen material?

post #10 of 14 Old 04-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I thought I'd chime in since I have the 1080ST and was going through a similar situation. I also had an issue with a soffit so I placed the projector in front of it. Thus, the front of the lens is about 6.75 feet away from the screen. I made my own 120" screen and what AV says about the extreme throw angle with a short throw is accurate. With any man made product, you won't be EXACT. The level might say right dab in the middle, but you still have to assume that you can be off by a millimeter here, millimeter there, etc etc. It all adds up to a surface that is not completely and absolutely flat.

I used an 18" Hangman to mount my screen and i already knew my wall wasn't completely flat throughout the entire wall. There's just no way around this. When I put up my test screen, the bottom right of the test lines doesn't completely line up with the right angle, but only I know that smile.gif Once the projector is on and the movie is playing no one will be able to take notice.

Once you add in a black velvet border any light overspill gets eaten up by the velvet. It takes a little playing around to get it to be "good enough". And once you do, stop measuring, thinking, and analyzing, and just enjoy.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Liked: 19
I'm in the same boat as th op. Short throw is the only option for me to get a screen size that s desired. Just waiting on the w1080st to drop back down in price. Funny thing is i got an email about the price drop but didn't pay attention to it till it was to late. Been stalking amazon for the past two weeks hoping for a price drop to $850 again so I can pull the trigger. I'm going to go diy screen for sure. Carls flexi white over a square tube frame.

Nearly all men can stand adversity , but if you want to test a man's character , give him power.
Abraham Lincoln.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ear4hire View Post

I'm in the same boat as th op. Short throw is the only option for me to get a screen size that s desired. Just waiting on the w1080st to drop back down in price. Funny thing is i got an email about the price drop but didn't pay attention to it till it was to late. Been stalking amazon for the past two weeks hoping for a price drop to $850 again so I can pull the trigger. I'm going to go diy screen for sure. Carls flexi white over a square tube frame.

I would think at some point the price would drop soon. It's been awhile since I've seen the price be lowered. Keep checking on various sites for refurbs as well. I bought the 1080ST refurbished for $799 from Projector Supercenter. It looks good as new and is working great.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 AM

Liked: 19
Thanks for the heads up butie120. I'll add projector supercenter to my morning stalked websites.smile.gif

Nearly all men can stand adversity , but if you want to test a man's character , give him power.
Abraham Lincoln.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-27-2014, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the advice butie120, I agree I want to stop worrying about perfection and start enjoying the projector. My house is so out of square, soffits in the way etc. etc.. but I am very happy with the 1080st and looking forward to putting it up and leaving it there and enjoying it.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page