Haven't posted (or prowled) this section for a long time. Been happy with my HC3800 with all these years and it's still going strong though hitting 2800 hrs on the 2nd bulb so looking at upgrade options (OR buy 3rd bulb and run it down to ground
Got a small work bonus recently so thought of jumping to 3D now. Budget is around $1k (can go higher if needed be).
- 120" DIY screen
- HC3800 ..short throw from approx 12-15 feet away.
- Some ambient lighting in from one side of the room/hallway during daytime
- Non 3D HTPC (will upgrade to 3D capable video card)
- Xbox One
- Pioneer AVR
Looking for :
- Same if not brighter PJ (the HC3800 was considered a light cannon back in the day)
- Good sharpness (my past PJs have been DLP so I prefer DLP)
- Good bulb life (I've been averaging about 4000 hrs on my HC3800 and I use it A LOT!)
- Under $1k
- Short throw similar to my HC3800
- GOOD FOR GAMING (I'm a veteran COD player and currently wasting my adult life on Titanfall and Ghosts)
So far, the W1070 seems to fit my bill. Optoma HD131X seems to have a slower color wheel and more lag times. BenQ1500 appears to be a better PJ overall but lag times are again average compared to W1070 (??).
Most of my primary content would be 2D (and gaming) and 3D would be secondary due to lack of content (but still nicer to have for a HT room).
Or should I simply get a 3rd bulb and run my HC3800 down to dust and pieces ;-)? If there's something (DLP wise) better out on the horizon for under $1k and 3D, I wouldn't mind waiting for another 3-4 months.
I know we had tons of HC3800 owners here back in the day (when I was active in that owner's thread) so wondering what yall have upgraded to? I keep saying "DLP" as I've only had one LCD pj (Epson) and had severe convergence issues and returned back and have never bothered with LCD based PJs since then...not sure if things have changed now in 2014..