Affordable Home Theater LED Projector for 125" screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are lots of LED projectors that cannot go over 100" diagonal screen size.

Is there an affordable Home Theater LED Projector for screen size more than 100" like 125"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 04-25-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I don't think so yet.... I am also waiting for an affordable LED projector but I need it to go to 170"... I have a feeling it is going to be a while before I am able to get a LED replacement.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #3 of 58 Old 04-25-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 333
May I ask... Why LED?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 58 Old 04-25-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

May I ask... Why LED?

Lamp life.
LEDs can produce more colors.
Usually quieter than lamp based projectors.
post #5 of 58 Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbest View Post

Lamp life.

More Colors?? Not sure where you got that from?? As far as screen size goes right now they are still a long way from a projector that can respectively do over a 90 or so inch size. Hopefully you are looking at REAL LED based projectors and not the slew of white van scam projectors that use aquarium lamps as a light source. - Bohanna
post #6 of 58 Old 04-26-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
If you're used to a standard bright image, you'll be disappointed by any LED projector on a fairly large screen. If it's your first projector or you don't mind a dimmer image, the lack of brightness might not bother you at all. If you've watched a 3D movie in theater and didn't have any problems with the brightness specifically, there's no reason the low ftL of an LED projector getting stretched thin should bother you any worse. In an absolutely dark room, I've had groups of people over watching a 130lumen LED filling a 165" screen and it was a lot of fun. Nobody had trouble seeing what was going on, it wasn't nearly as dim as you might expect.

The "extra colors" isn't anything positive as you'll have to dial them out to make your images look good, having everything looking neon is fun for about 2seconds.
The lasting longer part is great though, coupled with their slightly more rugged nature and portability. Don't expect any of the smaller ones to be particularly quiet (small fans tend to whine like a laptop). They don't put out much heat and can be left running for long periods of time.

Almost all of them can focus an image much larger than 110", but none can do so and keep 14ftL on-screen..so you'll have to be okay with a darker image.

Be warned, you probably won't find anything worth playing with for under $400-ish. Also, avoid anything that isn't DLP unless you're shopping in the $4,000 range. The cheap LCD LEDs are terrible, and I don't know of any decent brand selling them. Find something that's carried by a real store (or online version of a real store).

The specs pages for projectors that say "maximum image size- XXX" don't mean that's the biggest it'll go, they just mean that's the biggest they'd recommend.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #7 of 58 Old 04-26-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Did someone hear about this projector?

http://brightlingprojectors.com/

The image size goes over 110" up to 200".

Who knows this little LED projector?
post #8 of 58 Old 04-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You can "project" 300+ inches with a lot of small LED projectors - the image will be crap at that point.

The 500 lumens (if it does actually put out that amount) of the projector you posted will be very inadequate at 125". You probably need about 1500-1800 rated lumens for a dark room and that screen size, and probably higher like 2000+ if you want any ambient light at all (ambient light being a small lamp or two).
post #9 of 58 Old 04-26-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

Lamp life.
You understand that for less money than any comparable LED projector on the market today, you can get a Epson 2030 projector and 3 replacement lamps which will last you roughly 8-12 years right?
Oh, and it will not have the same whiny fans that most LED projectors actually have.
And the colors will be significantly better than the typical LED projector.

I'm thinking you haven't actually done your homework on the two technologies at this point. LED is still an infant technology. In 2-3 years there may be some really solid units out there at a reasonable price, but right now you can feel free to pay more for an underperforming projector as you would like.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 58 Old 04-27-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

We have compared Optoma HD66 (2500 lumen) with Brightling Cine BP-BW17 (500 lumen) , same screen, same signal source.

The result was surprising:

Brightling Cine BP-BW17 is much brighte than HD66 by same screen size.

Brightling Cine BP-BW17 has much shorter throw distance compared to HD66.

LED lumens are brighter at the same lumens rating on a Incandescent bulb.
post #11 of 58 Old 04-27-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

If you like the bp-bw17, it might be worth it to check out the 500lm Android projector from Aaxa. Very similar specs, but Aaxa is sold at a few bigbox stores and it's half the price. Full android market access, Bluetooth audio and interfacing abilities, wireless networking, internet browsers, Netflix etc.. for $499.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #12 of 58 Old 04-27-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

If you like the bp-bw17, it might be worth it to check out the 500lm Android projector from Aaxa. Very similar specs, but Aaxa is sold at a few bigbox stores and it's half the price. Full android market access, Bluetooth audio and interfacing abilities, wireless networking, internet browsers, Netflix etc.. for $499.

Did you see the Aaxa projector in action?
post #13 of 58 Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't seen that one yet. I've seen other Aaxa PJs and I like the picture quality I've gotten better than what I've tested Vivitek and a little better than LG. I've also seen this particular light-engine/DMD combo in action before and have a good idea what it should do.

post #14 of 58 Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I haven't seen that one yet. I've seen other Aaxa PJs and I like the picture quality I've gotten better than what I've tested Vivitek and a little better than LG. I've also seen this particular light-engine/DMD combo in action before and have a good idea what it should do.

How about Aaxa Showtime 3D. Is it a good projector?

http://www.aaxatech.com/products/led_showtime_3d_micro_projector.htm
post #15 of 58 Old 04-28-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The showtime, from what I've read, uses a slower LED strobe-time compared to the P300/P450 and I would suggest the p450 instead unless you really want 3D (I think the p450 lacks 3D), where I would suggest the android projector or a different brand entirely. The Showtime is at a weak pricepoint compared to others similar.

post #16 of 58 Old 04-28-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The showtime, from what I've read, uses a slower LED strobe-time compared to the P300/P450 and I would suggest the p450 instead unless you really want 3D (I think the p450 lacks 3D), where I would suggest the android projector or a different brand entirely. The Showtime is at a weak pricepoint compared to others similar.

What is the advantage of a faster LED strobe-time in Home Theater use?
post #17 of 58 Old 04-28-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Faster LED strobe is like faster colorwheel speed; fast enough means that even the small fraction of people who are RBE sensitive shouldn't be bothered. It's really not a big concern either way, more like a small bonus. Mostly the Showtime is still one of their more expensive models and they now offer at least two alternatives that are equally bright and similarly priced. One is cheaper and might not support 3D (I'm not, 100% about how good the 3D support is on the Showtime either), and the other costs a bit more while offering major feature upgrades.

If you're looking at the Showtime you can choose one of the other two models and either save a few dollars with the p450 or spend a few extra and get something significantly juicier with the androidPJ(and with better 3D support perhaps).

post #18 of 58 Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
spend a few extra and get something significantly juicier with the androidPJ(and with better 3D support perhaps).

Do you have the link for the androidPJ model?
post #19 of 58 Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like I was wrong about some things, the 3D-Showtime price dropped to $440, the p450 is $450 (thought it was $430) and the androidPJ (based off the Showtime) is $500. With the 3DShowtime pricedrop, I'd say it's back in the running. Be interesting to see how the showtime/android(same body, same fans) compare to the p450(i think larger body than p300) for fan noise..the p300 is not a quiet projector, it's size gives it a hot-laptop whine.

The androidPJ has some sortoof "boost" mode to squeeze out more brightness, but I'd bet almost anything it's that terrible "brilliantcolor" that doesn't make ANY sense to use with LEDs. They'll all be about the same brightness..same as the AcerK(1000lm-claimed) and Vivitek qumi7 (800lm-claimed), and the LGs (500-1000lm-claimed).

The androidPJ link:
http://aaxatech.com/products/led_showtime_android_projector.html

This will likely be available at a few Office stores and Wal-Mart in some months. Aaxa direct has a 10% restocking fee (many companies' direct online ordering does this) that I'm not willing to personally chance.

post #20 of 58 Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

On the AAXA website they have the Showtime 3D with 450 Lumens Optical Engine and this it the only Showtime 3D they have on their website.

On the other hand Amazon is selling it with 550 Lumens Optical Engine.

http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-MP-300-02-Showtime-Projector-Resolution/dp/B005MC27OI

It seems to be the new android version of Showtime 3D but AAXA did not release the new version yet.

It's confusing.
post #21 of 58 Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

They will all be the same calibrated brightness, but yes the android version is claiming a little higher because it can push peak-white a little higher (not colors though).

Aaxa has both on their site (Showtime 3D and Android Projector Showtime), but I don't think anyone else is selling it quite yet..unless you're saying you see the android one on Amazon, which would be cool.

post #22 of 58 Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
unless you're saying you see the android one on Amazon, which would be cool.

Yes. This should be the new AAXA android but no idea why Amazon is selling it as a new version of showtime.

Would you prefer the new android or the Showtime with 3D function?

What are other brands that are as good as AAXA?
post #23 of 58 Old 04-30-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

No, it looks like you're right, the android is already for sale on Amazon. That is the androidPJ that you linked..the Android IS the new Showtime. Also, Amazon's $585 is above the MSRP..that's sad to see.

I'd prefer the Android version. The old Showtime had to be paired to a PC with an emitter and Nvidia graphics card to play 3D (including bluray). The new AndroidShowtime keeps all the old functionality and also supports cheaper/simpler DLP-link 3D (no emitter required for that..$12 glasses too). I'm still not sure if it can play 3D straight from a 3D bluray-player or if for some reason still needs the player to be a PC.
I'm mostly after the Bluetooth audio-out and browser/Netflix available through android.

Better brands is somewhat a trading game, but here are my feelings:

The LG's with 3D support are easy to use, have plenty of great menu options and wireless features (even without android), TV tuner, use very quiet fans, and have really nice built-in speakers, for $650 or less. They also have a simpler model that lacks the TV tuner, 3D, and possibly the wireless extras, but costs around $500..and is still as bright as any majorbrand LED PJ under $2000.

Aaxa uses louder fans and is missing LG's "dynamic contrast" feature that can help darker scenes cut through a bit of light in the room, but tend to be the least expensive major brand. They do not have any models with good 3D support however.

3M tends to price a little high and sometimes skips important features.

Elmo has a couple simpler models that are very similar to Aaxa but at a higher price with no reason/advantages to spend more..so I'd pass.

Vivitek tends toward the same simpler models (with 3D support), but also costs more and uses very poor built-in media players. HDMI support is clean, but other brands do it just as well for cheaper..I'd pass.

Optoma has some simple units that tend to be inexpensive though fans are loud as others and they don't offer any real extra features..the prices can make it worth it though if you don't need something as quiet as the older/simple LG. If the Amazon prices of the Aaxa goes down closer to their website's price, Optoma won't be cheaper anymore, but still very competitive and cheaper than most at around $450. They may be missing some simple, important features though so double-check that everything you need is there.

The Benq LED units lack some really common portability features for no good reason and are priced high. I'd pass.

The Acer units are priced fairly high, don't offer the extra brightness they claim and some units skimp on simple things. I'd pass

All the easily affordable LED projectors over 350lumens use the same light-engine, and have brightness/contrast/colors that are visually indistinguishable. All the smaller units have an inherit laptop-whine to their fans and fairly bad built-in speakers. The only things that really differ between LED models is price, software features (if you even want extras), and noise.
-If you need quiet, it's practically impossible to beat the LG's noise level.
-If you want wireless features and extras, it's hard to beat bluetooth/WiFi/Android..and Aaxa's $500 is hard to get under even for most simple PJs, let alone with extras.
-If you just want cheap/bright, I don't think anything beats the $400-450 point of the Aaxa p450/old-Showtime.

post #24 of 58 Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

I have contacted AAXA. The new Android does not support 3D at all. See AAXA response:
Quote:
The 550 Lumen model is a model that includes Android inside, it unfortunately does not support 3D playback as the old model did.

The 3D functionality removal does not affect normal image quality at all, it is still the same great quality.

The new version was released early last week.

The fan is the same volume as the older model is.

Thank you,
AAXA Technologies Support Team

I will be using my HTPC with AMD Readon HD 6450 that supports 3D @ 120Hz.
Will the new AAXA android still be able to playback 3D using the PC? What do you think?
post #25 of 58 Old 04-30-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I was told over the phone that it did support 3D and they specifically mentioned that it was compatible with DLPlink 3D. That'd be dumb to take it away, but seems par for the course. I'm going to call again to see if I get a different answer this time.

Well that's dumb indeed. I believe I even talked to the same guy as before and he confirms that the new android Showtime does NOT support any kind of 3D. Also the old Showtime is being discontinued and only supported Nvidia PC emitter 3D..so avoid Aaxa if you want 3D.

The pa75u DLPlink 3D is very easy to use and compatible straight from a bluray player.

post #26 of 58 Old 04-30-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have contacted AAXA. The new Android does not support 3D at all. See AAXA response:
I will be using my HTPC with AMD Readon HD 6450 that supports 3D @ 120Hz.
Will the new AAXA android still be able to playback 3D using the PC? What do you think?
I've heard that using an emitter and glasses paired and ready for 3D PC use could make almost any monitor or projector somewhat 3D compatible, but I personally have no idea.
I would stick to the pa75u or a similarly inexpensive projector with either DLPlink support or specifically mentioned Radion 3D support.

Hopefully someone who's more knowledgeable on PC 3D compatibility will chime in.

post #27 of 58 Old 04-30-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

That's kind of weird.

The new AAXA Android is released last week and Amazon is selling 8 of them for being sold as used item.
Would you get a used one with cosmetic imperfection for $363? Is it worth it?
post #28 of 58 Old 04-30-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's kind of weird.

The new AAXA Android is released last week and Amazon is selling 8 of them for being sold as used item.
Would you get a used one with cosmetic imperfection for $363? Is it worth it?
I saw that too and am trying to resist. Any idea what the return policy is?

If you don't need 3D and don't mind a bit of fan-noise, go for it.
The only thing I'm afraid of is them being accidental 3D-Showtime ships that were returned because they weren't the Android-Showtime. Then again, if amazon ships the wrong item, I'd think they'd have to honor the advertised item at the advertised price via exchange..so, if the return policy is free/painless I'd take a chance on a scratched-up one for cheap. The two LED models I've kept so far have proven themselves to be tough little buggers.

post #29 of 58 Old 04-30-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The two LED models I've kept so far have proven themselves to be tough little buggers.

Which one do you have?

Amazon response:
Quote:
It is the new version with 550 lumens. If the reason for return is a fault of Amazon, let say it is damaged, defective etc... You would receive a refund for the item once it is return back to us".
I have checked and unfortunately the used ones aren't cover by the warranty. However if there is any issue with the item, it can always be return for a refund.

But I believe Amazon has restocking fee. Maybe returning wouldn't happen without headaches. Not sure.

I am thinking of two projectors at this moment:

Used AAXA android from Amazon $363.

Refurbished ViewSonic PJD5533w lamp PJ that goes around $300.

For which one would you go in this price range?
post #30 of 58 Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a few pictures comparing a couple similar models of lamp-based business-DLPs side-by-side an LED PJ with the same brightness as the new Aaxa PJs, and I'll take a decent LED unit over anything that isn't RGBRGB. The viewsonic is NOT RGBRGB, so I'd pick the least expensive LED device that suits my needs.

That PJD5533 will be outputting about 550-675lumens on a fresh bulb, that'll drop to around 350lm after roughly 1500+hours and about 20% less in eco-mode. By that point the LED PJ will be the brighter unit until you fork over $150-200 for a new lamp to have the 5533 pull slightly ahead in brightness. Contrast will be similar (around 1000:1) with both. The WXGAdmd common in many lamp-based business PJs shows a surprising amount of screendoor effect for a DLP while the WXGAdmd common to cheap LED PJs has a very good pixel-fill ratio that gives the picture a smoother look by compare.

Both devices should play well from HDMI, but the LED will also play mp4Video straight from a USBmemory-stick. Both can be set on a shelf or ceiling-mounted, but the LED device will also allow you to mount to a tripod ($15-25 universal) which makes portable placement much easier.

All the brighter Aaxa models have a 1/8" (headphone-jack) audio output. Doublecheck ANY projector before buying to make sure it has an audio output. You WILL end up wanting to useit and some projectors don't have them.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page