LG Pa77u - Now selling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-29-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For anyone interested, I noticed that Best Buy and Adorama.com now have the Pa77u (not the 75u) in stock. It looks like the updated version of the pa75u. I believe it has a Dark chip 3 since the listed contrast is 100,000:1 compared to 15,000:1 on the pa75u. Hopefully LG has addressed some focus issues they had with the 75u also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-29-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Best Buy PA77U listing states 15,000:1 CR.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-29-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You are correct. Perhaps I saw the 100,000:1 spec for the pf85u. Obviously, neither projector will come close to their contrast claims anyway.

http://www.lg.com/us/projectors/lg-PF85U-portable-led-projector

post #4 of 19 Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 178
The pa75 (and 77 if it's still WXGA) get around 900:1 and the 85u hits 1,400:1-1,500:1. They all kept the same LED backlight but the 85u added the "brilliantcolor"/white-boost which is a terrible idea for LED units.

They changed the smart-remote and added voice commands for certain simple things. They also added a SPDF audio output. Otherwise it looks mostly unchanged from the 75u.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the LG PA75U got a firmware upgrade...only thing I see different are the "smart TV" apps :

LGPA77U
(Netflix, Vudu, You Tube, Vtuner, Amazon, MLB, Spotify, Googlemap, Facebook, Twitter, Picasa)
post #6 of 19 Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lg pa77u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

They changed the smart-remote and added voice commands for certain simple things. They also added a SPDF audio output. Otherwise it looks mostly unchanged from the 75u.

I love to hear the minimal revision on PA77U. I am going to upgrade my PJ and my choices are PA77U & BenQ GP20. I don't need the smart features on PA77U since I have already an android box & WD Tv live. Maybe GP20 is ideal for my needs, but GP20 had a negative feedback from Amazon user. I came from a 240 lumens SVGA led projector so 700 lumens with wxga resolution maybe a jump up for me. I want a fairly bright and good color image for my controlled environment mini-theater. Your suggestion is highly appreciated.

Last edited by displaylou; 08-10-2014 at 10:46 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 AM

How good is the Pa77u with regards to video quality? I am only using this pj for movies on 92" 16:9 projector screen in controlled light environment.

Anyone here tried to compare between pa77u vs benq gp20?

Last edited by DrDon; 09-25-2014 at 02:12 AM. Reason: quoted spambot removed
post #8 of 19 Old 08-12-2014, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaylou View Post
How good is the Pa77u with regards to video quality? I am only using this pj for movies on 92" 16:9 projector screen in controlled light environment.

On a decent preset (or even better with a simple calibration) their general image quality and brightness will be about equal.
The LG has better codec support for playing videos from storage or USB devices and has better 3D support but that only matters if you'll be using those features.

For a simply projector just playing from hdmi, they'll be pretty much indistinguishable. The LG still has the advantage of being cheaper, quieter, and tripod-mountable if needed. It also lets you keep the master color control (like most TVs) where the Benq usually blocks it during hdmi use for some reason.
Built-in Netflix, internet browsing, WiFi streaming/dlna and such is nice to have even just occasionally, and the projector still costs less..so they're essentially free.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
On a decent preset (or even better with a simple calibration) their general image quality and brightness will be about equal.
The LG has better codec support for playing videos from storage or USB devices and has better 3D support but that only matters if you'll be using those features.

For a simply projector just playing from hdmi, they'll be pretty much indistinguishable. The LG still has the advantage of being cheaper, quieter, and tripod-mountable if needed. It also lets you keep the master color control (like most TVs) where the Benq usually blocks it during hdmi use for some reason.
Built-in Netflix, internet browsing, WiFi streaming/dlna and such is nice to have even just occasionally, and the projector still costs less..so they're essentially free.

Thank you very much for the very informative views on booth projectors. It is truly helps me a lot on choosing between them, and maybe I'll go for PA77u for that matter.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-15-2014, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Own this pj for about week. Got it from US Amazon. Picture quality and smart features are great on 100' H.C. Grey screen in dark room. Really like to wach cinema from my NAS with DLNA via wi-fi.
Bad news that this pj supports only 4 regions: USA, Canada, Mexico and Other. If I choose Other when it's not possible to connect to LG Smart World and most on-line features of Smart TV are disabled. Also language support restricted to English, Spanish, French and Chinese. No Russian language support was bad news for my wife.
Another problem is tv tuner restrictions. Its scans signal only in supposed channel interval according US standart so I couldn't tune any local cable TV channel (I'm from Uzbekistan). And there is no manual fine tuning Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?
post #11 of 19 Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostig View Post
Own this pj for about week. Got it from US Amazon. Picture quality and smart features are great on 100' H.C. Grey screen in dark room. Really like to wach cinema from my NAS with DLNA via wi-fi.
Bad news that this pj supports only 4 regions: USA, Canada, Mexico and Other. If I choose Other when it's not possible to connect to LG Smart World and most on-line features of Smart TV are disabled. Also language support restricted to English, Spanish, French and Chinese. No Russian language support was bad news for my wife.
Another problem is tv tuner restrictions. Its scans signal only in supposed channel interval according US standart so I couldn't tune any local cable TV channel (I'm from Uzbekistan). And there is no manual fine tuning Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?
I don't know if the projector supports the more generic lgtv feature set, but take a look at the service menus - your pa77u was probably shipped with the country group code set to '02' - US|CA|MX. Country group code '04', if available, may give you what you need.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-15-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know the regular way into the service-menu without using a special universal remote? Do most newer LG tv's use the same button sequence?

post #13 of 19 Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by displaylou View Post

If you have been watching 16:9 on an SVGA projector then you have not been getting all the lumens it put out when watching 4:3 material. So a 16:9 native projector or WXGA will seem much brighter just because you will be using the full panel.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #14 of 19 Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 PM

Does anyone tried Luxcine Z2000SD? I saw thier video comparison with other led projector in youtube and it seems that the colors & contrast is great. I don't know if that guys have guts to compare with branded projectors like Lg Pa77U & BenQ Gp20.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-25-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I've heard the luxcine's have pretty major focus problems and their prices aren't anything special considering they cost MORE than most other wxga LED projectors that are sold by major brands.

If you really want it for android, look at the cheaper and sharper Aaxa Showtime Android.
If you want an affordable LED for a lit room with wireless and Netflix +other online features without android (including a full flash-supporting browser), look at this LG pa77u.

If you want both, grab a $50 hdmi-out android box and plug it into the LG.

I don't have any comparison videos yet, but click on the link at the bottom ($250 theater build...) and scroll to the last post's video. That's the slightly older cousin to this pa77, the pa75u on a big screen with the room's lights on.

post #16 of 19 Old 10-09-2014, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Q: DVR Ready is greyed out in the Option 3 service menu; has any one figured out how to enable it?
post #17 of 19 Old 10-10-2014, 02:32 AM

[QUOTE=Ftoast;27699441]I've heard the luxcine's have pretty major focus problems and their prices aren't anything special considering they cost MORE than most other wxga LED projectors that are sold by major brands.

I've also heared that before, but it seems that they have new upgraded version. The Z2000SD model, infact the video is so tempting & too good to be true. Here is the video.....
post #18 of 19 Old 10-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
how much are you selling for?
post #19 of 19 Old 10-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSS481 View Post
how much are you selling for?

I am not a seller, in fact I don't know this brand & never heard this at all, until I was looking for a cheap led projector, and maybe I'm interested & out of curiosity, posted this video to asked someone who tested this pj & may share their opinion about the performance of the machine.

Last edited by displaylou; 10-10-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP