Which UPS/Power Conditioner for Epson 5030 projector: APC BR1500G or APC J35B - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-30-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello. I'm debating which UPS/Power Conditioner to get for my Epson 5030 projector. This UPS unit will basically only have hooked the projector and possible a small HTPC.

I like the APC because it's given me good results all this time with my PCs. APC have an "audio/video" section and they sell UPS/Power Conditioner that have a more "home theater" look than your regular PC UPS but I am looking at these two models: the APC BR1500G http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500G&xtmc=br1500g&xtcr=1 and the APC J35B http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=J35B&xtmc=j35b&xtcr=1 that I find pretty much equal in specs but the J35B costs $170 more. My question is: for me said needs is it really necessary to pay the extra $170 to get the J35B model over the BR1500G one?

Thank you a lot for your help in this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The J35B has some outlets that are controlled by a master outlet. So when the device plugged into the master outlet goes into sleep or standby mode and stops drawing as much power then the slave outlets have their power removed completely.

That's the difference that most likely explains the variation in cost between the J35B and the BR1500G.
obonillaf likes this.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've been using the 1500 for over 2 years on my Epson 5010+receiver+Darbee+blu-ray player devices.
I shut off the AC on the 1500 about every 6 months and drain the battery down to 5%.
It can run with all devices on for 40-50 minutes with no issues/glitches.

I got mine at Frys on sale for $79. Frys sale price+APC rebate.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I've been using the 1500 for over 2 years on my Epson 5010+receiver+Darbee+blu-ray player devices.
I shut off the AC on the 1500 about every 6 months and drain the battery down to 5%.
It can run with all devices on for 40-50 minutes with no issues/glitches.

I got mine at Frys on sale for $79. Frys sale price+APC rebate.

Thank you both for your responses. Plasmaman, it´s great to know that you have been using the 1500 with no flaws. The 1500's have been serving my PCs all the time with no problem so I really did want to get one for my HT needs and not spend the additional 170+ for the J35B if it didn't make any difference apart from the difference in the feature that walter said that I won't be using. Sometime people gives a NO-NO whenever someone tell them that they will be using a UPS that is mostly used in PC for some HT equipment and they suggest to look for a AV "special" UPS and seeing the tech specs between both UPS they look basically the same. I mean, I won't pay 170+ just for the form factor of the J35B.

The only thing that somehow puzzle me is why both the J35B and the 1500G have such a "low" joules rating at only 355 where as other equipments have their joules rating at 1500 or 2000 joules. I care more about the AVR features the UPS have and have never had any problem with my PCS even on storms but wouldn't want to have a problem with my projector in that matter...
post #5 of 5 Old 07-07-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had the same question and asked APC support as differences between J35B and BR1500G and their response below.

The other variable for me was that I have a Generac 20kw whole home generator. During the summer months when running off generator power, my Sharp 60" LCD will shut-off when my 3 ton air conditioning unit kick's in. It appears their is a short voltage drop that the TV is sensitive to. My understanding is a UPS w/ AVR will help with this which both J35B and BR1500G have and BR1500G has line interactive topology, but not sure if this really provides any advantage for my situation.

--------- Original Message ---------
Subject: RE: Ask APC: UPS J35B BR11500G (#2788-431460958-3506)
Date: 7/7/14 6:04 pm

Hi Adrian,

The line interactive provides a pure sine wave to equipment while it is online. The BR1500G will provide a step approximated sine wave when it goes to battery though. The line interactive won't help with the generator unfortunately. Both of the units have the AVR to help with the small dips in voltage. The AVR will help the unit from going to battery so often. The BR1500G does have the option to mute the unit. Feel free to email me with any other questions or concerns.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

-------- Original Message ---------
Subject: RE: Ask APC: UPS J35B BR11500G (#2788-431460958-3506)
Date: 7/7/14 4:40 pm

Thank you for contacting Schneider Electric. You have reached APC's customer care center email support. I would be happy to assist you.

I can assist you in explaining the differences between the two. The J35B does have more filtering than the BR1500G because it is designed to be connected to AV equipment. The BR1500G does have a line interactive topology when it isn't on battery which is helpful if any power factor equipment. Usually computer equipment has power factor correct power supplies in them. The AVR could help with the voltage fluctuation with the generator. You may need to adjust the sensitivity on the units if they keep going on battery. You could use the BR1500G if you theater equipment doesn't need the special filters that the J35B has.

Adrian

Last edited by apanek; 07-07-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Additional detailed provided from APC
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - BR1500G by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page