You know the drill....NEWBIE.....need Indoor/Outdoor advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-30-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys! I hate to start up another thread, but can't quite find one that fits my specific needs. I just got a Vizio 50" M last November, and after really enjoying the 3D, I am now wanting a projector. I have narrowed it down to the BenQ 1070 and the Epson 2030. I have a few questions that I am hoping some of the pros here can help me with.

1. I am wanting to use this both indoors and outdoors at my newly built outdoor area. For this reason, I DON'T think that I will ceiling mount the projector.

2. I have a mantle in my living room where the set up is, TV is currently above it, so unless I am missing something, I think I will have to use a standard pull down screen. Can someone tell me if I am correct with this?

So.....my room is 12'3" wide, 15'6" long. The mantle sticks out 11.5", so I plan on putting hooks on ceiling to hold it right after that. It seems as though I am going to have to use a table to sit the projector on, and carefully run the wires to it, and hide them on the side of the wall when not in use. Looking at my setup, the projector could be sat anywhere between 9-11' back from the screen.

With that said, I am now all ears! Am I crazy for wanting this and does it seem practical to move the projector like I am planning on? I will only use it for movies, and some gaming every so often.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I can hear the guys already with "pictures/info please", but until then make sure you look at the throw distance calculators for each projector.  I have the Epson HC2000 which is fairly similar (but cheaper) to the HC2030 and I'm not sure what size image you are shooting for.  I get 169 inches with the projector back about 14 to 16 feet (I can't remember which it is after moving the projector's mount several times to get it right.)  The under $1000 projectors are not very flexible in terms of placement so the room size tends to drive the image size.

A possible solution to the screen might be an indoor/outdoor one (if you have a place to store it without taking it apart).  I think Amazon has one for around $200 for 120inches or $230 for 144 inches.  They have two loops (for two hooks) at the top that might work with your ceiling and legs for your outdoor needs. (I haven't got one...I use a Camp Chef on the wall in a spare bedroom for my spare projector.  Note: I do not recommend the Camp Chef for indoor viewing.)

I have pictures under my profile of my cheap Viewsonic vs my 70 inch tv on a plain painted wall.  This image is with the projector sitting about 20 feet back on a counter.  The Epson produces a larger image at that distance, so each projector is different in terms of where you can place it to match a screen size.

BusterC417 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29

Visual Apex Projectoscreen 144 inch.  I am hoping someone will give some feed back on this item since I want one for my spare room/projector in the basement.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I like that screen, but with the space I have in my living room, I am thinking around 100-110" image. That should be about right. So maybe that 120 in screen would work for me.

I will try to get some pics up later tonight of my space, not sure I really know how to get them from my iPhone to here.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Ok guys, ended up getting the W1070, should arrive this week. Now my question is about screens. I am looking for 100-110", and need a manual pull down since I will be using it indoor and out. Can you guys offer up some help on what to get? I watch a lot of Blu's, so I am assuming a 16:9 screen is the one I need. I am also worried about the screen moving outside, so I need some sort of screen that is tensioned.

Can someone PLEASE recommend a good one for me?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - HC2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page