Moving from Optoma HD70 to something new, was considering HD25E. Confused and worried about lens shift for ceiling mount. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-05-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I have had an HD70 since 2007. It has been great, but I think it's time to move on. My biggest concern is that I have it currently at around 12 feet and closely mounted to the ceiling. The HD70 had great lens shift, so I could ceiling mount it high. Are there other projectors with a large lens shift? I am using a 92" elitescreen. If my calculations are right, to not keystone at all, I'd need an additional 9 inches from the ceiling to keep my existing mount point, right?

Is there anything else I should consider? Looking for sub $1000 1080p, for gaming, TV, and movies. $800-900 street is even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm confusing myself the more I look at this. I guess I am looking for a projector with a high offset + lens shift, or at least just a really high offset?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How high is your ceiling? How far from the ceiling is the top of the screen? How far is the bottom of the mount from the ceiling? For a 92" screen the center of the lens of the HD25e needs to be 7 inches above the top edge of the screen. You'll need to hit this mark as closely as you can to keep from angling the PJ and correcting with keystone The zoom range for the HD25e requires it to be mounted between 10' and 12' from the screen. Looking at the calculator for the HD70 it says the lens should be 16 inches above the screen. So, yes, you'd have to drop the HD25e by 9 inches, or raise the sceen 9 inches, or a combination of both. Some mounts allow you to add a drop tube (threaded NPT pipe from hardware or plumbing store).

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #4 of 6 Old 05-05-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

How high is your ceiling? How far from the ceiling is the top of the screen? How far is the bottom of the mount from the ceiling? For a 92" screen the center of the lens of the HD25e needs to be 7 inches above the top edge of the screen. You'll need to hit this mark as closely as you can to keep from angling the PJ and correcting with keystone The zoom range for the HD25e requires it to be mounted between 10' and 12' from the screen. Looking at the calculator for the HD70 it says the lens should be 16 inches above the screen. So, yes, you'd have to drop the HD25e by 9 inches, or raise the sceen 9 inches, or a combination of both. Some mounts allow you to add a drop tube (threaded NPT pipe from hardware or plumbing store).

Yeah, I have a fixed screen at a height I like, so I'll look into perhaps a different ceiling mount, or an extension. It's been so long, I'll have to look at my ceiling mount to refamiliarize myself with how it's setup.

How do people ceiling mount projectors with no offset, or no lens shift? It seems that offset projectors and lens shift are rare. Are most people not ceiling mounting these days? I find it hard to believe that a lot of people have stadium seating wink.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 05-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Most of the newer projectors all have an off set that is designed for ceiling mounting with an 8 ' ceiling. Giving about a 8' to 10" drop to the top of the screen (most vary with screen size). If you don't care for 3D then Newegg has the HD8200 for $699 and it has a large amount of both vertical and horizontal lens shift and preform better than anything for twice the price. The Mits HC7900dw has a very large off set and some vertical shift to increase the off set if you can still find one.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #6 of 6 Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

That HD8200 has a lot less lumens than the current gen does it not?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP