Poor mans best setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I was looking at some silly projectors at $75 (the Sanyo XW20).... for just a basic setup while I save for a more expensive one.... but was wondering what my options are?

I have a very nice living room in my condo (closet-sized 2 bedrooms but atleast a huge living room lol) and its vaulted.... and the peek in height.... is on the wall that I will be projecting on. It is a perfect house for a projector. Anyways.... just eyeballing the wall I'd say it's 15 feet wide... 15 feet tall.... maybe a few feet taller not sure. I want to play movies and play on my ps3 through it.

I am willing to spend as much as $250 but would prefer to spend $200. I could also be convinced to spending $300ish if the quality was fantastic.

So my question is.... what should I buy? Ebay projector? Or get the best best buy thing I can for $250? What would you guys do if I stole your projector.... and threw it into a giant pit of death.... and gave you $250-300.... and you weren't allowed to use your own money.... what would you buy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectorplease View Post

I was looking at some silly projectors at $75 (the Sanyo XW20).... for just a basic setup while I save for a more expensive one.... but was wondering what my options are?

I have a very nice living room in my condo (closet-sized 2 bedrooms but atleast a huge living room lol) and its vaulted.... and the peek in height.... is on the wall that I will be projecting on. It is a perfect house for a projector. Anyways.... just eyeballing the wall I'd say it's 15 feet wide... 15 feet tall.... maybe a few feet taller not sure. I want to play movies and play on my ps3 through it.

I am willing to spend as much as $250 but would prefer to spend $200. I could also be convinced to spending $300ish if the quality was fantastic.

So my question is.... what should I buy? Ebay projector? Or get the best best buy thing I can for $250? What would you guys do if I stole your projector.... and threw it into a giant pit of death.... and gave you $250-300.... and you weren't allowed to use your own money.... what would you buy?

sorry, I hate to burst the bubble, but nothing under $500 ish is worth it IMO... saving up and buying something later is MUCH better than chintzing now and upgrading later, spending even more money overall. just save up and get an Optoma HD131xe or a refurb Benq W1070 and call it a day.

do you have a TV now? if you do, just be satisfied with that till you can save up. I've done the multiple upgrade thing a billion times, it's worth getting something good over something chintzy
post #3 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Loose the I gota have it now and save your money while you read and educate yourself on front projection and all that is involved.
That said, a used 720P DLP projectors built in the time frame of 2007-2010 will produce a very nice image (assuming it was a high end unit at the time of manufacture) and should sell in the $150-$300 range but you would need to do the research to know what to buy and what to stay away from. You will also need to understand the impact of your room (sounds like a nightmare for projection and sound to me) also the limitation on screen size to light output.. I would suggest you just chill out and spend the time reading in the dedicated room forum. You won't have a dedicated room but you will learn all the pros and cons and pitfalls of projection which will help you figure out what you need to do. You will be happier in the end with a setup that works well and no wasted money on what you want to do right now. If you just have to have something no matter what, I would recommend the Mitsubishi HC3000 which I do own. It should be no more than $200 if the lamp is fairly new.. less if not. I would sell you mine but I would rather keep it in the drawer for future use..
Good luck!
post #4 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

How bad would the XW20 be?

I guess I'd need something able to work well in a small to medium amount of light. I've got pretty good blinds.... I dunno....

Looked the Mitsubishi HC3000 and it has good reviews...

post #5 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

And I know it sounds stupid to spend a small amount on a thing... but that's all I'm willing to part with for a viewing experience you know? So what can I get for $300 or less.... thats the best? Point at where to go get it and I'll go get it lol. Is there something at best buy or frys electronics worth getting? I was looking at the benq ms616st , the epson powerlite home cinema 710hd.... and i think they were sub 300. I'm not 100 percent sure though.

post #6 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

I definitely value having a NEW thing from a store over buying on ebay.... but if i can get something nice thats used that will work.

post #7 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Got a private message asking me some questions I'm going to answer them here:

My setup is going to be super easy super cheap.... going to put a shelf up on the wall above the couch... on the shelf will be the PS3 and the projector. I will play the ps3 from time to time... watch netflix... and the occasional dvd/redbox. The cords going to go behind the couch. And the sound system my buddy will be setting up for me. My wall is flat white.... and is surrounded by bricks on either side with blue windows / curtains

This is definitely doable guys. What are some decent 300-500 dollar machines you guys know about.... and just list their names. I'll hunt down the cheapest prices for them.... and in 24 hours I'll buy one. Lol.

I'm currently looking at this:

Epson Powerlite home cinema 710 HD 720p 3LCD for $375 shipped. Seems like an uber deal.

post #8 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Question is, is that the most you can spend or is that the most you want to spend. If that is all you can afford then I can understand but if you can afford a little more, you might as well get something decent that can deliver a 1080p picture.

From $650 and up to about $750 or so:

BenQ W1070 (Refurbished from BenQ when is stock)
Acer H6510BD
Viewsonic PJD7820HD
Optoma HD131xe

These are you starting points in 1080p and to be honest, even the viewsonic which can probably be found the cheapest still looks pretty good.
post #9 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Question is, is that the most you can spend or is that the most you want to spend. If that is all you can afford then I can understand but if you can afford a little more, you might as well get something decent that can deliver a 1080p picture.

Acer H6510BD
Viewsonic PJD7820HD
Optoma HD131xe

These are you starting points in 1080p and to be honest, even the viewsonic which can probably be found the cheapest still looks pretty good.

All of these were selling at minimum $700 except the Optoma which i found at 550. I need less than that. I cant spend more than $300... I can maybe push $50 more bucks after if its worth it. Theres gotta be something out there right for me. Can you name some cheaper ones? Im one of those people that cant tell the different between 720 and 1080. If I can get the fuzziness gone.... and it looked someone clear.... without great detail... I'd be very thrilled. The fact that its a 200 inch screen is what I'll be happy about. lol.

post #10 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got a private message asking me some questions I'm going to answer them here:

My setup is going to be super easy super cheap.... going to put a shelf up on the wall above the couch... on the shelf will be the PS3 and the projector. I will play the ps3 from time to time... watch netflix... and the occasional dvd/redbox. The cords going to go behind the couch. And the sound system my buddy will be setting up for me. My wall is flat white.... and is surrounded by bricks on either side with blue windows / curtains

This is definitely doable guys. What are some decent 300-500 dollar machines you guys know about.... and just list their names. I'll hunt down the cheapest prices for them.... and in 24 hours I'll buy one. Lol.

I'm currently looking at this:

Epson Powerlite home cinema 710 HD 720p 3LCD for $375 shipped. Seems like an uber deal.

I had the 705hd which was basically the same thing as 710HD... it's an ok projector, and it will work. but I'd honestly recommend the below one if you can ... it is WELL worth the few extra hundred bucks... take a few months, squirrel some money away ... you WILL thank us. I've had the epson, 705 (basically the 710) ...the epson 8350 (which is very very similar to the Benq and the Optoma 131xe) and there is a HUGE difference for a little price increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Acer H6510BD
Viewsonic PJD7820HD
Optoma HD131xe

post #11 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All of these were selling at minimum $700 except the Optoma which i found at 550. I need less than that. I cant spend more than $300... I can maybe push $50 more bucks after if its worth it. Theres gotta be something out there right for me. Can you name some cheaper ones? Im one of those people that cant tell the different between 720 and 1080. If I can get the fuzziness gone.... and it looked someone clear.... without great detail... I'd be very thrilled. The fact that its a 200 inch screen is what I'll be happy about. lol.

sorry, 200 inches on a projector in that price range will look like CRAAAAAAAAAAP.... trust me. those things I wouldn't push past 100-120 inches.

if you physically can't afford something more... I understand, you gotta do what you gotta do, but if you're just impatient and you have set this price limit, you might wanna rethink it
post #12 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

I had the 705hd which was basically the same thing as 710HD... it's an ok projector, and it will work. but I'd honestly recommend the below one if you can ... it is WELL worth the few extra hundred bucks... take a few months, squirrel some money away ... you WILL thank us. I've had the epson, 705 (basically the 710) ...the epson 8350 (which is very very similar to the Benq and the Optoma 131xe) and there is a HUGE difference for a little price increase.

What all will I be getting? Do the bulbs last longer? Cheaper bulbs? Are they wireless? Why do I want the $700 ones and not the $300 ones when I only want to spend $300 on it x.x lol

post #13 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What all will I be getting? Do the bulbs last longer? Cheaper bulbs? Are they wireless? Why do I want the $700 ones and not the $300 ones when I only want to spend $300 on it x.x lol

picture quality is night and day difference. bulbs will cost more with more expensive projectors, (unless you're using say the Epson 2000, or 2030 which is using an experimental $99 bulb), but not wildly more... say going from $150 per bulb like on the 710, to $199... nothing wild...but you'll have a lot more brightness with the more expensive ones mentioned too. and if you're honestly serious about having something about 100 inches, I would use the Benq or Optoma at a MINIMUM...otherwise you'll have insane screen door effect on the 710

wireless ones, we're talking in the $2000 range.

the blacks will be MUUUUUUUUUUCH better on the Benq or the Optoma, the color fill and is INSANELY better. when I turned on my 8350 after replacing my 705 it was like I was watching a movie for the first time.

the question being WHY do you want to spend $300... is it just because it's your personal price limit? is it because finances say I can't afford to get anything higher or I'll be eating Ramen? or what... projectors are higher maintenance machines and $300 is skimming the barrel of barely useable for the most part.
post #14 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

picture quality is night and day difference. bulbs will cost more with more expensive projectors, (unless you're using say the Epson 2000, or 2030 which is using an experimental $99 bulb), but not wildly more... say going from $150 per bulb like on the 710, to $199... nothing wild

wireless ones, we're talking in the $2000 range.

the blacks will be MUUUUUUUUUUCH better on the Benq or the Optoma, the color fill and is INSANELY better. when I turned on my 8350 after replacing my 705 it was like I was watching a movie for the first time.

the question being WHY do you want to spend $300... is it just because it's your personal price limit? is it because finances say I can't afford to get anything higher or I'll be eating Ramen? or what... projectors are higher maintenance machines and $300 is skimming the barrel of barely useable for the most part.

Yeah. I'm 23 I make minimum wage. I cannot spend more than $300-400 and would prefer to be closer to 300.

post #15 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:

Yeah. I'm 23 I make minimum wage. I cannot spend more than $300-400 and would prefer to be closer to 300.
Stretch to $400 and take a look at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD5533W-WXGA-Portable-Projector/dp/B00511ITEM/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399473225&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=vieiwsonic+projector

Has good reviews from average users probably like yourself. You have to also realize you are on a site of videophiles so anything in this price range is going to be frowned upon. Also, your cheaper brands like Viewsonic and Acer will also be frowned upon many here. I personally own the Acer H6510bd and think for the price I paid and the picture it produces, it was quite a bargain.

Also, take a look at Buydig. They sometimes have really good deals on refurb projectors.
post #16 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are the used DLPs on Ebay from $200-$300.. find one you think you want, then do forum searches on the model number to see how well it held up over time. I would not buy used LCD projectors as the older models did not have the longevity of DLP.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=720p&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X720p%20DLP%20projector&_nkw=720p%20DLP%20projectors&_sacat=0&_udlo=200&_udhi=300
Also use projectorcentral.com for specs and review research.
post #17 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26

Well here I go again trying to represent the little guy, but you are 23 and on a budget.  Why not start out with a new projector like the Viewsonic PJD 5134 (as seen above on a plain wall vs my 70 inch TV) for $349 or as someone suggested the PJD 5533W for $405 (Amazon prices).  The only issue with used is if the lamp dies and you have to buy a $200 replacement.  (Hopefully you already have a sound system or computer speakers because the speakers on low end projectors are bad.)

Yes, you get a screen door effect using a SVGA (800x600), but look at the Amazon reviews, most people are very satisfied with the SVGA. I'm old and have no budget concerns....but cheap.  I do have a lower end Epson HC2000 (1080p), but I still find myself watching the Viewsonic plus it is great for "gamers".  Watch some of the videos (bing) on the PJD5134 and you will see that it still produces an amazing image for an SVGA.  On the PJD5533w, I've seen it in action and it is a great picture.  A lot of your content will still be in 720p if you are using it as a TV.

Look at the throw distance, lamp life (cost of ownership), reviews and the warranty.  On paper the Viewsonic looks good in terms of all four and is actually the best seller (5134) on Amazon.  Just make sure you get a projector with a HDMI input.  My Viewsonic is hooked up to a blue ray player (HDMI), a low definition cable converter, as a computer monitor and even an old school DVD/VHS player/recorder in a spare room.  The 3d glasses run about $20 a pair and I actually turned off my Epson and watched the last Star Trek movie in 3d with the Viewsonic two nights ago.

old corps likes this.
post #18 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Currently leaning towards the PJD 5533W

very close to just buying it and being done with it. looks like a solid projector

post #19 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Liked: 11
Why not a Benq MX600 for $449 on amazon
post #20 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Optoma S303 is SVGA resolution with 1080p downconverting and HDMI for $300, new. I believe the replacement lamps are around $150.
post #21 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 04:51 PM

Liked: 17
I think you better take a look at the image quality of the projector BEFORE you buy it, or else you will probably be dissapointed, I´m in the same boat as you, and decided to wait for six months until I could afford a budget (not that budget here in México) Epson 2030.

Patience my young Padawan wink.gif
post #22 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

So then....

do I want a new Optoma S303 for $310 shipped ..... or a used ViewSonic PJD5533W for $360 shipped.

post #23 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 PM

if you are ok with LED based PJ's - here's a good one - http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=6915498&sku=VTKQ2LTB

Its about $229 with cpn "EDU50"
post #24 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 PM

Liked: 20

Whatever you get, just try to have realistic expectations for whatever you're able to afford.  Remember that many of the rave reviews you see on this forum are for projectors that cost many times more than you're able to afford.  The really inexpensive projectors don't produce the same experience. Ideally you'd to be able to actually see one of the inexpensive projectors in action before spending your hard-earned money on one.  You might decide after seeing the results that your limited resources might be spent on something other than a projector.  But if you're absolutely set on a projector, they really can become addictive no matter how much money you have to spend.

tlalotoani likes this.
post #25 of 92 Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Normally, people with 300$ at hand don't think of owning a projection setup. Next thing we know, somebody will go on and say, I have 99$ and want a home theater! For 300$ you can't even get a decent TV! Sheesh... Mark Haflich has got to see this one. biggrin.gif
post #26 of 92 Old 05-08-2014, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you look around you should be able to get something like an Optoma HD72i/73 within that price range, and that's a hell of a projector for that sort of money.

Steve W
post #27 of 92 Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post

If you look around you should be able to get something like an Optoma HD72i/73 within that price range, and that's a hell of a projector for that sort of money.

Steve W

I found one of them at a lower price but it turns out it was broken. Looks like they are going for $400 and up.... so its still down between Optoma S303 for $310 shipped ..... or a used ViewSonic PJD5533W for $360 shipped.

Im leaning towards PJD..... though I like to price of the S303 more.... the reviews for the PJD seem to be better

post #28 of 92 Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
On this matter, I completely agree with airscapes but it doesn't look like the OP cares about image quality to the extent of doing any kind of research...
The difference in quality between a good used projector in this price range and a currently produced unit will be HUGE. There are some killer deals on high end units of the past on eBay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

That said, a used 720P DLP projectors built in the time frame of 2007-2010 will produce a very nice image (assuming it was a high end unit at the time of manufacture) and should sell in the $150-$300 range but you would need to do the research to know what to buy and what to stay away from.
Edit: This http://www.avsforum.com/t/1530055/joe-kane-720p-samsung-refurbs-499-on-several-sites
post #29 of 92 Old 05-08-2014, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

So question:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_udlo=200&_udhi=300&_nkw=720p+DLP+projectors&_sop=15

The ones listed here... are you guys saying they are better than the two options I'm looking at now? I literally don't want to make a big deal out of this guys, its not that important to me, I sold my TV and I want a projector. Lol. I'll take as best quality as I can get.... but if it looks like I'm sitting in highschool english.... thats fine. I just need something to display images.... at a big level.... so its like I have my own movie theater. And I'd like it to be $350 or less.

Right now I'm leaning towards ViewSonic PJD5533W which will be shipped to me at $360... but it is used. They claim it has a new bulb.

RollTide2011 likes this.
post #30 of 92 Old 05-08-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

On this matter, I completely agree with airscapes but it doesn't look like the OP cares about image quality to the extent of doing any kind of research...
The difference in quality between a good used projector in this price range and a currently produced unit will be HUGE. There are some killer deals on high end units of the past on eBay.
Edit: This http://www.avsforum.com/t/1530055/joe-kane-720p-samsung-refurbs-499-on-several-sites

He is 23 and a product of get it now, upgrade next month .. steady outflow of money he does not really have to waste.. we tried...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page