Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #61 of 127 Old 07-19-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What intrigues me in this projector (at least on paper) is UniShape fast color wheel, dark pulse technology. If it's the same tech that is used on high-end single-chip Planar and Runco projectors, that should give less dithering noise (resulting in more bit-depth), nice color reproduction and a native color temperature close to 6500K. Less RBE also. But it's the implementation that I'm worried about. You may read about these technologies in a Planar PD8130-8150 brochure: http://www.hcinema.de/pdf/planarpd8130-8150-usa.pdf

In a Chinese review of this projectors they measured ~2000:1 native and 11000:1 dynamic contrast. I doubt the dynamic contrast implementation will be as transparent as to leave it on for day-to-day watching. Very few projectors manage to do that right. Also in the Chinese review they measured <80% color saturation of standard. That's a pretty good reason to have some reservation considering blind-buying this projector.

The inclusion of 3D RF is certainly a strong point for Optoma. BenQ should follow that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 127 Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindman0v0 View Post
I'm kind of curious why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit over all the misrepresentation of specs on all PJ's these days. The contrast numbers are not accurate, the lumens numbers are not accurate, color rating isn't accurate, mounting distances aren't accurate. I guess its because the industry just refuses to adopt a standardized set testing procedures to accurately represent their product. It makes it difficult when trying to make a choice on which projector to buy.Thats why these blogs are so important. Everyone gets to chime in with their experiences. And we get to hear from experts like yourself instead of these talking head idiots that represent the industry.
Completely agreed: it's an issue with the A/V industry as a whole. And while things around here are obviously projector-centric, other forums on AVS address similar issues with everything from TV's to audio equipment.

Which is why when it comes to A/V equipment in general, the only manufacturer-claimed spec that you pay attention to is the price-tag.
Everything else? Decide based on reviews from respected industry authorities, and comparative owner reports.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #63 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have played with the proj for a couple of hours last night. For what it is I'm pretty impressed. I'm really sensitive to RBE, this is the first single chip proj I found to be almost acceptable for me. The blacks are reasonable with the DI engaged but its not implemented well, if flicks around too much for my liking so I had to turn it off. That's a really shame for me, if the DI worked well I would really be raving about this proj!

The image is really sharp, its very dynamic and does have a bit of a wow factor! The motion is amazing, so smooth, compared to my Sony 4K, but that's DLP as we all know.

I think this proj would be a winner for most people, its bright, sharp and dynamic to look at, quite amazing!
But the DI is a real downer for me.
mishari84 and kreeturez like this.

Murray Thompson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

What about colors? Have you tried calibrating it? Were you able to feel or measure input lag?
post #65 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Haw

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
What intrigues me in this projector (at least on paper) is UniShape fast color wheel, dark pulse technology. If it's the same tech that is used on high-end single-chip Planar and Runco projectors, that should give less dithering noise (resulting in more bit-depth), nice color reproduction and a native color temperature close to 6500K. Less RBE also. But it's the implementation that I'm worried about. You may read about these technologies in a Planar PD8130-8150 brochure: http://www.hcinema.de/pdf/planarpd8130-8150-usa.pdf
UniShape (TM) is a lamp technology developed by Osram for use specifically in DLP projectors.

www.osram.com/media/resource/HIRES/333560/880473/osram-unishape---surprisingly-real.pdf

UniShape lamp requires a special lamp driver that is already factory-equipped with an RGBRGB waveform that adapts and keeps it repeatedly in sync with the DMD chip and color wheel of the projector.
post #66 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I have played with the proj for a couple of hours last night. For what it is I'm pretty impressed. I'm really sensitive to RBE, this is the first single chip proj I found to be almost acceptable for me. The blacks are reasonable with the DI engaged but its not implemented well, if flicks around too much for my liking so I had to turn it off. That's a really shame for me, if the DI worked well I would really be raving about this proj!

Thanks for the review...

I see that UniShape also seems to offer a type of SmartEco-style dynamic dimming based on image brightness: did you try that instead of the DI? (Assuming that it's implemented?)

This same tech also seems to be advertised as offering additional brightness (by compensating for the lamp's natural deficit of red) which I'd have expected to produce more brightness than the competition: I wonder why it'd be rated at the same 2000 lumens if that's the case. Maybe the increase could be evidenced in Color Brightness measurements...

Assuming the price is right when it lands locally, this projector might be quite compelling indeed.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #67 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hey guys the Optoma Asia site shows the HD50 as an LED projector. is that accurate? http://asia.optoma.com/product/Produ...ZQ==&Type=Spec

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #68 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Thanks for the review...

I see that UniShape also seems to offer a type of SmartEco-style dynamic dimming based on image brightness: did you try that instead of the DI? (Assuming that it's implemented?)

This same tech also seems to be advertised as offering additional brightness (by compensating for the lamp's natural deficit of red) which I'd have expected to produce more brightness than the competition: I wonder why it'd be rated at the same 2000 lumens if that's the case. Maybe the increase could be evidenced in Color Brightness measurements...

Assuming the price is right when it lands locally, this projector might be quite compelling indeed.
I never saw anything about an SmartEco-style dynamic dimming, it did read about it in some advertising but I see nothing in the menu. If you find in in the manual I will try it, but sadly I don't think it exists!

I think that's a run over bit of blurb from the HD91 LED model which has that function. problem is when you read those Asian sites they often have the info wrong!
kreeturez likes this.

Murray Thompson

post #69 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Hey guys the Optoma Asia site shows the HD50 as an LED projector. is that accurate? http://asia.optoma.com/product/Produ...ZQ==&Type=Spec
It´s a mistake, that a Look here :

http://asia.optoma.com/UploadFiles/D...0625070222.pdf
post #70 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
It´s a mistake, that a Look here :

http://asia.optoma.com/UploadFiles/D...0625070222.pdf

Don't believe everything you read on Asian sites, it is a mistake!

Murray Thompson

post #71 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 04:35 PM

OPTOMA HD50 New full hd 3D Ready entry level projector

Quote:
I never saw anything about an SmartEco-style dynamic dimming, it did read about it in some advertising but I see nothing in the menu. If you find in in the manual I will try it, but sadly I don't think it exists!

I think that's a run over bit of blurb from the HD91 LED model which has that function. problem is when you read those Asian sites they often have the info wrong!

Yeah you're right; the only dynamic brightness mentioned in the marketing appears iris-related. Pity they didn't get that right, as black level is one of this type of projector's (ie bright-lamp DLP's) weak-points. (How was black level without the iris? Reasonable compared to the DLP competition?)

Still, the rest of the package looks quite nice. Price will be key, here, particularly with the W1070+ (which will likely still implement SmartEco) coming up. The HD50 implements some features the W1070+ doesn't (2D to 3D conversion; RF 3D; what looks like FI) but it probably can't price itself too high or it'll follow the W1500's footsteps and not appear to be all that good value.

Time will tell...

Last edited by kreeturez; 07-20-2014 at 04:38 PM.
post #72 of 127 Old 07-20-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, but also thought that since it's Optoma's official Asian site it might be correct.

post #73 of 127 Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Do they give options to set the iris or is it only auto?
post #74 of 127 Old 07-21-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

RapalloAV
Quote:
What about colors? Have you tried calibrating it? Were you able to feel or measure input lag?
post #75 of 127 Old 07-21-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Do they give options to set the iris or is it only auto?
No.
Its on or off, that's the problem.

Murray Thompson

post #76 of 127 Old 07-21-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
RapalloAV
The colours are fine as long as you turn them down.
Wont be calibrating it as I only borrowed it for a few days.

It certainly doesn't seem to be as bight as the lumens they state. The image on full lamp is like me turning my Sony 4K on half lamp. The brochure states screens up to 500" IMPOSSIBLE!

Im packing it up and returning to my Sony 4K

Murray Thompson

post #77 of 127 Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

And what about input lag?
post #78 of 127 Old 07-21-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And what about input lag?

I don't game, but this is DLP it should be ok.

Murray Thompson

post #79 of 127 Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't game, but this is DLP it should be ok.
No, this is incorrect. Sharp XV-Z30000 is a DLP and it has 70+ ms input lag. BenQ W7000 has 50+ ms. So for me, it's not OK.
post #80 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm having a hard time determining how you feel about the HD50. I understand you had limited time with it and didn't calibrate it, but your first thoughts were:

Quote:

The image is really sharp, its very dynamic and does have a bit of a wow factor! The motion is amazing, so smooth, compared to my Sony 4K, but that's DLP as we all know.

I think this proj would be a winner for most people, its bright, sharp and dynamic to look at, quite amazing!
But the DI is a real downer for me.

Then after it appeared that you were very impressed with it you later said:

Quote:
The colours are fine as long as you turn them down.
Wont be calibrating it as I only borrowed it for a few days.

It certainly doesn't seem to be as bight as the lumens they state. The image on full lamp is like me turning my Sony 4K on half lamp. The brochure states screens up to 500" IMPOSSIBLE!

Im packing it up and returning to my Sony 4K
The way you said "Im packing it up and returning to my Sony 4K" made it sound like you were disappointed the HD50. Also on your site you say the HD50 has "Marvelous brightness and colour for Home Cinima", but in your comments above you are disappointed with the brightness.

So how do you feel about it? Also what's the price of your Sony 4K projector that you are comparing the HD50 to? I can't really tell if it's bright or not or if you like it or not.

Last edited by Legairre; 07-22-2014 at 01:12 PM.
post #81 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks to our New Zealand friend we get the specification on both the Optoma HD 36 and HD50
I would love to see a discussion about capabilities and limitations of both in a Home Theater vrs Living Room environment. (or should this be a separate thread)?
post #82 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm having a hard time determining how you feel about the HD50. I understand you had limited time with it and didn't calibrate it, but your first thoughts were:

Then after it appeared that you were very impressed with it you later said:

The way you said "Im packing it up and returning to my Sony 4K" made it sound like you were disappointed the HD50. Also on your site you say the HD50 has "Marvelous brightness and colour for Home Cinima", but in your comments above you are disappointed with the brightness.

So how do you feel about it? Also what's the price of your Sony 4K projector that you are comparing the HD50 to? I can't really tell if it's bright or not or if you like it or not.

Of course I like the projector, I stated that in my first post. Very few projectors are great out of the box, this is one. As I mentioned the colours were over saturated "out of the box", once turned down they looked good.

I also reported the iris was annoying, the way it performs, its either on or off! I had to run it off as it flixs round too much, problem with off is the blacks are washed out, that's normal. If the iris worked well the blacks would be good, the image does look good!

But the specs have to be wrong, they state you can fill a screen 500", impossible!!!
The image is half the brightness on full lamp compared to my VW500 is, so the lumen rating is incorrect.
As we know lots of the specs are incorrect from the manufacturer, I can only report what we have been given from them.
I cant advertise the projector with specs made up from me, I can only advertise it the way Optoma give us, right or wrong I cant be the judge on that one.

What do you think might look better on the screen, the HD50 or a current projector costing 10 times more, I will leave it with you....

For the cost of the HD50 I think its a bargain, but don't be fooled by the specs we all know are wrong.
1. It wont fill a 500" screen
2. The blacks will not impress without the iris, at present its implementation is far from perfect.

I hope this now clarifies your questioning....
mishari84 and kreeturez like this.

Murray Thompson

post #83 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! I ask for clarification off your statements and you get an attitude?

Last edited by Legairre; 07-22-2014 at 03:52 PM.
post #84 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow! I ask for clarification off your statements and you get an attitude?
OMG I'm not sure where you see an attitude.....

You asked, I answered.

Just because there are two points that might be an issue with the projector "your not happy"

I said over and over again I like the projector, gee!

Murray Thompson

post #85 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OMG I'm not sure where you see an attitude.....

You asked, I answered.

Just because there are two points that might be an issue with the projector "your not happy"

I said over and over again I like the projector, gee!
I couldn't care less with the issues you have with the projector. I don't sell projectors or have stock in Optomo. IMO in your response you seemed perturbed by my questioning you for clarification.

post #86 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Dear oh me, angry for nothing.

Murray Thompson

post #87 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Thanks for your insights, RapalloAV; this is the first impartial hands-on impressions of the projector we've received and should tide us over until the first comparative reviews come out.

Pity about the blacks and the iris; maybe we'll see this addressed in a firmware update.

post #88 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Thanks for your insights, RapalloAV; this is the first impartial hands-on impressions of the projector we've received and should tide us over until the first comparative reviews come out.

Pity about the blacks and the iris; maybe we'll see this addressed in a firmware update.

Your very welcome...
I did try to give a very impartial opinion of the projector even though we have them available for sale.
I would never say a projector is 100% amazing, none are even my Sony 4K.
All projectors have their weaknesses, no matter what price.

As it stands we need some info cleared up. The Asian site needs to get the specs right, I hope by the time this model gets to the USA all that stuff is cleared up!

If the iris could be fixed with a firmware that would be fantastic.
I don't know of any projector though that had similar issues fixed in a firmware.

I think its a great little projector for the price. Im also sure a number of people wouldn't even notice the iris flicking on dark images like I do. I think if you don't have a screen much larger than 120" you would be good to go. Just don't expect an amazing bright image on a large screen.

I get to test most new projectors, the HD50 is certainly not the best or the worst.

Lets see what others think when they get their hands on one,

Murray Thompson

post #89 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
If the iris could be fixed with a firmware that would be fantastic.
I don't know of any projector though that had similar issues fixed in a firmware.

I think its a great little projector for the price. Im also sure a number of people wouldn't even notice the iris flicking on dark images like I do. I think if you don't have a screen much larger than 120" you would be good to go. Just don't expect an amazing bright image on a large screen.

Twitchy irises are universally hated - but I suppose if Optoma just released an update that allowed the iris to be fixed at a specific value, that would make it more useful as well (ie, a good ND-filter substitute for use with a smaller - or higher-gain screen!)

Optoma: I hope you're listening :-)

The main competition for this unit will probably come from BenQ's higher-up models: have you been able to compare this to, say, a BenQ W1500 or the like?

post #90 of 127 Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did you get a chance to play with the 3D at all?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List