Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Here is the second projector from Optoma that will be released this june :

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2014/05/08/optoma-hd36/

Here are his specifications :

Texas Instruments new 0.65” 1080P DC3 Chip
New generations RGBRGB C/W provide the best color
New Display mode of “Vivid” for improving the lifelike object feelings and enriching the dimension
Dual Digital signal connectivity with HDMI and DVI-D
Support HDMI 1.4a Blu-ray 3D format.
Support Vertical Lens shift : +115% ~ +132%±5%
Support Auto Keystone for convenient installation
Big 30W stereo speaker for enjoying video entertainment
Full connectivity with multiple Video/Audio I/Os
Color Temp. & Gamma/ Brilliant Color provide more than 100+ image curve to match any kinds of movies
New Dynamic Black tech. to represent the pure high contrast of the original movies
User can fine tune the individual color what they want separately.
You can create your own favorite startup logo when power-on every time!
Support New 3D professional RF Glasses for best 3D feelings
Support ISFcc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-08-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Will be nice to have a different RGB Optoma besides the HD30b. It should be quite exciting if it gets priced near the 131xe. Should be possible if they stick with the 190w over the 250w, while still putting out more lumens in a comparably balanced picture setting.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
That link didn't work. Google found a site in Australia that is doing pre-orders.

• Full HD 1080P
• 3000 ANSI Lumens
• 30,000:1 Contrast Ratio
• *Bonus* 2 Pairs 3D Glasses
• 3D Ready
• Up to 4000 Hours Lamp Life
$2,799

http://www.avaustralia.com.au/optoma-hd36-dlp-3d-home-theatre-projector/

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #4 of 17 Old 05-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looking at the remote it shows 3 discrete user buttons:

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #5 of 17 Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The 3000lumen claims doesn't add up with an RGBRGB CW. I wonder which is which.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have read on a few different sites that the HD36 has an RGB/RGB color wheel, wish we could find out for sure. But, I have also read that this thing is quite large compared to Optoma's other projectors. About 16" wide, 12" deep, and 6.5" tall, and weighing in at about 10lbs. Why is this projector so big and heavy ?
post #7 of 17 Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still betting everything that this hd36/hd151 is just a software update to Optoma's hd25lv business projector. Specs and prices read the same, and it's the appropriate model for replacement between the hd25e/hd131xe(hd26/hd141) and old hd25(new hd50/hd161).

I'm more confused about the reports that their hd50/hd161 is still stuck with a single user setting instead of the new three user settings that this cheaper business model appears to have.

post #8 of 17 Old 09-14-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Optoma very explicitly says that the HD36 is an RGBRGB color wheel, so if it's not, they're propagating misleading information. http://asia.optoma.com/Product/Produ...egory=SG9tZQ==
post #9 of 17 Old 09-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 163
OPTOMA HD36 DLP Full hd 3d Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater2 View Post
Optoma very explicitly says that the HD36 is an RGBRGB color wheel, so if it's not, they're propagating misleading information. http://asia.optoma.com/Product/Produ...egory=SG9tZQ==

It'd be interesting to get some clarity on this (as well as real-world pricing). Let's see what the real-world reviews have to say when they start to surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I'm still betting everything that this hd36/hd151 is just a software update to Optoma's hd25lv business projector. Specs and prices read the same, and it's the appropriate model for replacement between the hd25e/hd131xe(hd26/hd141) and old hd25(new hd50/hd161).

I'm more confused about the reports that their hd50/hd161 is still stuck with a single user setting instead of the new three user settings that this cheaper business model appears to have.

The lower-end HD26, in a useful improvement from previous models (which I'm sure applies to this HD36 in the event of a single preset), allows any changes made to the existing presets are stored on that preset (and don't overwrite a separate User Preset) - so it's not the end of the world if that's the case here, too.

Still, it would be nice to have more than one dedicated user preset button on the remote for all their home-theatre units since it's a common scenario for users to have differing, dedicated 'day' and 'night' preset settings.
Ftoast likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 09-14-2014 at 01:46 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-14-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Seeing that the brightest 240-300watt(lamp) rgbrgb models still max-out at 2000-2200claimed lumens, this hd36/hd151 is either not RGB or not anywhere near 3000white/green-lumens.

I'd have to bet on the former rather than the latter as Optoma already has their hd50/hd161 and is unlikely to release a competing RGB model for the next couple of years.

Thanks Kreeturez, that's still great news. Repurposing presets as extra user-modes is fine since presets are usually way off and require at least small tweaks anyway. Just having the room for a daytime and a nighttime saved setting will be a huge improvement. even without a speed-button on the remote.
kreeturez likes this.

post #11 of 17 Old 09-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Seeing that the brightest 240-300watt(lamp) rgbrgb models still max-out at 2000-2200claimed lumens, this hd36/hd151 is either not RGB or not anywhere near 3000white/green-lumens.

I'd have to bet on the former rather than the latter as Optoma already has their hd50/hd161 and is unlikely to release a competing RGB model for the next couple of years.

Thanks Kreeturez, that's still great news. Repurposing presets as extra user-modes is fine since presets are usually way off and require at least small tweaks anyway. Just having the room for a daytime and a nighttime saved setting will be a huge improvement. even without a speed-button on the remote.

Guess we'll have to see!

Interestingly, the HD26 datasheet indicates 3 user presets on the remote (I'm assuming the third is for 3D):
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/..._spec_8302.pdf

...as does the HD141X:
http://www.optomausa.com/webresource...asheet_web.pdf

...while the most expensive of the lot, the HD50, has none (could this be an error?):
http://www.optomausa.com/webresource...asheet_web.pdf

...and a datasheet for this HD36 isn't provided for some reason so there's no way to be sure.

In any case as we said above: it doesn't matter all that much provided preset changes are saved to that preset, which appears to be the case.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Last edited by kreeturez; 09-14-2014 at 06:01 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #13 of 17 Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikioh View Post

So a very bright - color-bright, RGB-RGB offering from Optoma. Now that sets it apart indeed.

The unusually large chassis is also likely to aid in cooling for such a hot lamp. (I wonder what the noise rating at full power would be!)
The lamp life is a bit shorter than usual (likely because of its high power), but this looks set to be the Optoma to watch out for!

And there're three user quick-buttons on the remote according to that gallery. As above, likely two for 2D and the last for 3D.

If implemented properly, this really does look like a potentially very impressive offering.
Now I just want to know about pricing and black levels!

Last edited by kreeturez; 09-15-2014 at 08:41 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The 3 presets will be 2D, even the 131Xe which officially only had 1 preset but that was 1 for 2D and 1 for 3D so really 2.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was dead set on getting a HT1075 in a couple months once I get my new house built, but this may be a strong contender with RGB-RGB. Especially with the added brightness because I will be using this in a multipurpose room. Now if we could just get some hands on reviews.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-15-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't say I've been this excited/happy about being wrong before. Isn't this hd36 cheaper than the hd50? Especially with a 310watt lamp making the entire device more costly to manufacture, does this strike anyone else as odd?

The euro-specs look pretty legit except the total wattage draw looking a little low at 345w with the 310w-lamp and 30w-speakers.
The color numbers and wattage:lumens seems to support the RGBRGB claims, so that's awesome, particularly at a wattage (and price) that otherwise sounds so business-class.

Color-accuracy will probably be worse than the w1070 as it currently is with the hd50, but there's no reason future updates can't improve that just as they have with the w1070. Black-level will likewise be slightly poorer between the extra lamp-wattage and lack of an iris, but contrast has every right to be about the same so there's no reason an NDfilter couldn't be used.

That zoom looks pretty immense and should give the new Epson 3000's some good competition.

post #17 of 17 Old 09-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewilson10 View Post
I was dead set on getting a HT1075 in a couple months once I get my new house built, but this may be a strong contender with RGB-RGB. Especially with the added brightness because I will be using this in a multipurpose room. Now if we could just get some hands on reviews.

I'd definitely hold off in your case: at least until you're in the new house (first rule of tech: purchase only when it's needed - since it almost always depreciates!)

Quote:
The color numbers and wattage:lumens seems to support the RGBRGB claims, so that's awesome, particularly at a wattage (and price) that otherwise sounds so business-class.

Color-accuracy will probably be worse than the w1070 as it currently is with the hd50, but there's no reason future updates can't improve that just as they have with the w1070. Black-level will likewise be slightly poorer between the extra lamp-wattage and lack of an iris, but contrast has every right to be about the same so there's no reason an NDfilter couldn't be used.

Assuming they're still using DC3 DLP coupled with such a bright lamp, I'd agree black levels may be high (an iris might indeed have been useful). Hopefully not too high.
But assuming the specs are correct - then for really large screens or use in significant ambient light, this ought to be at the top of the consideration list.
In contrast, in a semi-dark (or darkenable) room, the reduced lamp life and expected extra heat/noise/power-consumption, along with certainly more expensive replacement lamp-costs - probably doesn't make all that much sense (in that case, may as well get a more suitably-bright projector that doesn't require an ND filter to begin with: HD50/W1070 or the like for instance...)

That said, I'd also imagine great 3D brightness at larger screen-sizes would fit the bill for this projector, too!

This could be a big deal. A possibly very solid replacement for the HD25-LV, then?

I think Optoma may be making something of a return-to-form between this and the also-impressive HD50. Would love to see some reviews on this (and holding thumbs on reasonable local pricing!)

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page