Are knock off projector lamps really that bad? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By airscapes
  • 1 Post By airscapes

post #1 of 11 Old 05-15-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering buying a $150 lamp for my beloved Panasonic AE-4000.

Before I am stripped of membership in this hallowed home theatre forum please hear me out.
It is with great reluctance and a sense of considerable sacrilege that I find myself in this position. Crawling out of a gruesome divorce that has left me financially neutered ...my ae-4000 has sat idly in a corner of my "new" bachelor apartment for 12 months for want of the funds required to replace the bulb.

I realize many of you would rather burn such a unit rather than subjecting it to such an indignity but at this stage of my life Id be happy just to watch any large image projected onto a bare wall until I can afford $400 for a genuine lamp.
Ive researched enough to know not to just get a bare replacement bulb but Im not convinced a clone runs significant risk of destroying my projector. I hear such things from every "authorized " lamp dealer.

So my question is ?
If Im prepared for the picture quality to suffer by up to 75% am I a fool to go this route until I get my financial house in order.
Has anyone done a clone to genuine shootout to know the difference?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 307
YES

From a financial and picture quality point of view it is a bad idea.

But some will argue otherwise
sparky7 likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Its a total crap shoot. Is it worth the gamble you have to decide. My first lamp based projector I used as my main TV with a rated bulb life of 2000/3000 hours and I was reaching that in 6 months, at $450 a pop I found I couldn't afford OEM lamps. Knock off lamps were $100 and I would get 4500 hours out of them most of the time. The last on failed after 5 min. There are many horror stories of compatible lamps being dim, failing early or not working at all. The chances of a lamp damaging the projector are slim but possible. If you can find a bare lamp that is from the same manufacture and has the exact same numbers as your original they should work fine but their are counterfeit lamps out there that look identical but are not OEM. The warranty on the generic lamps are useless because they will continue to send bad lamps and you will spend a fortune returning the bad ones so don't count on that bailing you out with bad lamps

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS

post #4 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 345
You can usually get the REAL lamp from a chinese or Hong Kong seller on Ebay. You just need to know the part number of the Philips and Osram lamp.

The best way to save money on lamps is NOT to buy a knock-off, but to buy the REAL thing and just replace the lamp yourself in the HOUSING. Hence buy the real Philips or Osram lamp without the housing.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

post #5 of 11 Old 08-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ask the retailer or assembler for the brand of the bulb. If it is Philips, Osram, Phoenix, or Ushio you should be fine. If they can't give you that information you are running somewhat of a risk by purchasing a compatible. Many will fail right away
post #6 of 11 Old 08-18-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Also note that some bare lamps that have a major brand name stamped on them are either seconds that were rejected because they didn't pass spec or outright counterfeits. So just having the right brand name and part number stamped on them is not a guarantee of goodness. The trick is finding a trustworthy, reliable supplier of quality bare lamps. It can be done but it requires careful selection and not just picking a vendor at random based only on price. If you decide to try to go the bare lamp route be sure to follow all best practices, such as handling the lamp with a glove or soft cloth to prevent it from being contaminated by oils from your skin.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-18-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I never had luck with aftermarket lamps. Some worked and never died but were dim. Some died on the second time I fired it up. One exploded on me with about 100 hours of use.

If you really want to try one. Take advantage of Amazons return policies. You can find some cheap ones and roll the dice. After going back and forth with aftermarket lamps, failing during the middle of a party etc. I went back to using OEM only.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-18-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You all do realize this thread was from 2014 don't you?

Doug

post #9 of 11 Old 08-18-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Nope, just looked at the date on the first post today. Doesn't really matter if it's an old thread because the same question comes up almost daily anyway. So the next person who comes to ask the same question can just read the answers here and not bother to start a new thread to ask the same question yet again.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-18-2017, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
So the next person who comes to ask the same question can just read the answers here and not bother to start a new thread to ask the same question yet again.
That would be nice, but not likely!
sparky7 likes this.

Doug

post #11 of 11 Old 08-19-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Double tap head shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page