YEP, Another Projector NOOB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-27-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Since the beginning of this year I´ve been feeling like I was ready to upgrade my beloved 720p 32" Panasonic, basically for watching movies and playing videogames (60/40), but for normal TV viewing the Panasonic still does the trick, so I started looking for 40"-50" size TVs, then I discovered the projectors, and started liking the idea of having an 80" or bigger screen in my house. rolleyes.gif

The room in wich the projector will work is the worst case scenario for projectors, it has plenty of natural light with 4 HUGE windows and two skilights, it makes very difficult to control light, but since I will be using the projector only at night, natural light is not a problem. wink.gif

Atfer reading a little about projectors, I´m still hesitating about wich projector buy.

The distance of the projector from the screen will be between 0 ft and 9ft, then it´s the sofa place then another space from 13 ft to 20 ft away from screen, so, with this and some research about the Throw Distance of some projectors, I have a clue of how big the screen would be, personally I´m looking for a 80-100 inch image.

I was looking for a 720p projector since my budget is arounf $700, (DID I MENTION THAT I LIVE IN MÉXICO?) and prices are higher than in the US, for example the Benq projectors are outrageously expensive, the W1070 costs around US$1,500 and the 720p W770ST costs US$1,000, I don´t know if there is an extra taxation to Benq projectors or it´s a simple plain GREEDINESS thing, anyway, they are out of my budget.

I don´t know if I´m sensitive to the Rainbow Effect, but as I believe that very few people have this problem, probability is in my side.

I know that the obvious winners will be the 1080p projectors, but I´m open to the 720p ones because of my budget and I´m not picky about the image definition, BUT I want to get the best image possible (Light output, color accuracy, Input lag and contrast) for the limited budget I have.

Other big problem is that its difficult to see the projectors working at the store, so I don´t have a clue of how good/bad a 720p projector would look if I´m at 12 ft of distance with a 80-100 inches screen and if I would see image artifacts or the screen door effect.

I was thinking about getting one of the next projectors that I can find on line or in stores

Acer H5360 720p (US$555) good image quality but Acer is well known for some quality issues.

Epson 730hd 720p (US$680), with this one I have second thoughts, because of this review http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-500-projector/ this projector had a lame 204:1 contrast, BUT on the other hand, the replacement bulb costs only $99.

Viewsonic PJD7820HD 1080p (US$769) Out of my budget, but probably would save a little more money.

Acer H6510BD 1080p (US$780) Same as Viewsonic above and quality issues.

A final question is, Aside from image resolution a good 720p projector like the Acer H5370BD (not available in México) is a better choice than a entry level 1080p like the Acer H6510BD wich is known for an un-accurate color and difficult calibration?

Thanks biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-27-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
This time of year it gets dark here at 8:30pm. As a working man, I lay down at 9:30. I'd trash my projo if I had skylights.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey tlalo you should take a look at the lg pa70g. It is a led projector which means no more bulbs and its great if your only going to use it at night. I absolutely love mine, good luck.
post #4 of 28 Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
If you want a 1080p projector and the W1070 is out of the question, then I would go with the Acer H6510BD. While the colors won't be as accurate it will still give a nice picture to watch. It definitely projects a better picture then the price suggests. It also has 1000 more lumens then the BenQ so you would probably be able to view it on cloudy days or even brighter days as long as the sun is not hitting the screen directly.

The Acer in my opinion gives off a better picture then the Viewsonic PJD7820HD. Colors are much more vibrant and saturated.

Did you price out the Optoma HD131Xe? Might be another option.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegetter View Post

Hey tlalo you should take a look at the lg pa70g. It is a led projector which means no more bulbs and its great if your only going to use it at night. I absolutely love mine, good luck.

thanks for the advise, but seems like the LG LED projectors are not sold in México mad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

If you want a 1080p projector and the W1070 is out of the question, then I would go with the Acer H6510BD. While the colors won't be as accurate it will still give a nice picture to watch. It definitely projects a better picture then the price suggests. It also has 1000 more lumens then the BenQ so you would probably be able to view it on cloudy days or even brighter days as long as the sun is not hitting the screen directly.

The Acer in my opinion gives off a better picture then the Viewsonic PJD7820HD. Colors are much more vibrant and saturated.

Did you price out the Optoma HD131Xe? Might be another option.

Optoma projectors are sold by small retailers that are focused on selling bussiness projectors and I don´t know if the HD131Xe would be available and at what price, I´ll have to investigate about it.

1080p might be a must <==> (IF and only IF) 720p projectors are NOT good enough for me.

Thanks for the answer!! wink.gif
post #6 of 28 Old 05-28-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Optoma has the H180X as well which is a 720p version of the HD131X. It's $300 less than the HD131X in the USA, so it runs right about $500 here. Not sure what that means down your way.

I would recommend the W1070 over all else on the 'cheaper' side of the budget, but if you can't swing it, you can't swing it. Maybe plan a short trip into the states? biggrin.gif

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 28 Old 05-28-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Optoma has the H180X as well which is a 720p version of the HD131X. It's $300 less than the HD131X in the USA, so it runs right about $500 here. Not sure what that means down your way.

I would recommend the W1070 over all else on the 'cheaper' side of the budget, but if you can't swing it, you can't swing it. Maybe plan a short trip into the states? biggrin.gif

The only Optoma I´ve seen sold in México (on line) is the HD25 (US$1,230), out of the budget, still, not taking any decision until I watch a 720p projector in action wink.gif
post #8 of 28 Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, Optoma really messes with you down there...
http://www.optoma.com.mx/products/Cine-en-casa/Cine-en-Casa-1

On the other hand, they clearly have a pretty close to full line up of products down there, and you can contact them to find out who the dealers are.

The H180X is right at the top of the list for their US site.

http://optomausa.com/products/Entertainment/Home-Theater

Go figure.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 28 Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like Optoma doesn´t want to sell in México, no answer so far to my questions. rolleyes.gif

Anyways, so far these are my options:

720p
Epson 730hd ($680)
Acer H5360 (US$555)

1080p
Acer H6510BD (US$780)
Epson Home Cinema 2000 (US$1,000)

Epsons become interesting because of the price of their replacement light bulb, in the other hand, the acer 1080p projector´s replacement light bulb costs US$250, well, a little too much for my liking, but, in the other hand, with the expected use I will give to the projector that will be in the next 4 years (at least). Epson is out of my budget, but I´m not in a hurry, so I can wait till the end of the year to save money to buy it.

So, the only thing left to do is to go to a Best Buy in México City and check their 720p projectors (they don´t sell 1080p projectors, go figure) and see if the image resolution is good enough for me, or not, and get a 1080p one, I think I´ll have a chance to go there in a couple of weeks to make a decision. wink.gif
post #10 of 28 Old 05-29-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't you have a projector shipped from the US to you? There are plenty of places on eBay that ship international.
post #11 of 28 Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can't you have a projector shipped from the US to you? There are plenty of places on eBay that ship international.

Really?
But there are things that I'm afraid of like:

The reliability of the seller

In a bad luck scenario, the package is being checked by the mexican customs and then charge me with added tax.

And last but not least, the package (and thus the projector) could be damaged by the shipping company, happened to me few years ago with a genisys scan tool, the screen was damaged when received the tool, so, I'm kind of "scared" about that.

If you could give me some pointers (about eBay) I will apreciate that. THANKS!!
post #12 of 28 Old 05-30-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

Really?
But there are things that I'm afraid of like:

The reliability of the seller

In a bad luck scenario, the package is being checked by the mexican customs and then charge me with added tax.

And last but not least, the package (and thus the projector) could be damaged by the shipping company, happened to me few years ago with a genisys scan tool, the screen was damaged when received the tool, so, I'm kind of "scared" about that.

If you could give me some pointers (about eBay) I will apreciate that. THANKS!!
Well, I don't want you to do anything you are uncomfortable and don't want to be responsible for a bad deal. On Ebay, you need to look at the sellers ratings. I only buy high ticket items from top rated plus sellers.

There are also legit stores who ship international. For example, B&H Photo although they are currently out of stock of the BenQ W1070. Of course you would need to weigh in the shipping charges and taxes to see if it would be worth it for you and the policy if you receive a bad item. Of course warranty would also need to be considered. Not sure it would be covered unless you are inside the US.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have a Best Buy down there, then check them out. I am betting they have available to sell a lot more than just 720p models, but that may be all they have in stock right now.

For many people, a projector is a long term purchase item, so if that's the case for you, be sure to get something you will be happy with for the time you intend to own it. Buying a $500 projector, when for $800, or $1,000 you could have what you 'really' wanted if you only saved for a few more months seems silly. Just save for a few more months and keep a VERY close eye on deals and sales which are local to you and protect your purchase. You certainly do want your purchase covered by warranty and you will want peace of mind for your purchase.

I would take it nice and slow if I were you. It doesn't sound like you have a projector that just 'broke' so you have to replace it quickly. It doesn't sound like your TV just went out so you have nothing to watch at all. So, no rush. Look around, and see if you can look at a couple of 720p projectors or maybe a 1080p projector if you can find one. Go in with a critical eye, after all, it is your money! Read as many reviews as you can from owners. Then when you feel comfortable make your purchasing decision.

Be aware that the BenQ W1070 continues to get the praise as the best looking and valued projector under $2,000 right now. So, you may want to really dig into finding out what your options are for that model down there.

post #14 of 28 Old 05-30-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I will mention one thing that I did not like about the Acer H6510Bd although not directly related to the picture quality of the projector.

It only has one available user setting for you to input your personal settings. So you could not use your own custom settings for the different times of the day if you wanted a night and daytime setting. You would have to use one of the default settings for you second setting. Now here was the real kicker. If you change any of the related picture settings on one of the defaults it would automatically turn that into your user setting and overwrite whatever settings you had set up previously. So if you had your colors set in the user setting, all of that would change to to default user setting and you would need to re-enter everything back.

I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing it if the picture is better then another projector you are thinking about as pq is really the most important thing but this is something that can be very annoying and I can't see any rhythm or reason why they would have the settings work like that.

If you do not consider yourself a videophile and can live with less then perfect colors then the H6510BD can deliver. I think the picture will please the average consumer and then some. Would probably even wow most average consumers.

If you require more spot on colors, like more of a cinema look and consider yourself very picky when it comes to video, then you need to find a way to get the W1070. From what it sounds like though and you are willing to settle for a 720p projector, you just want a good experience with a large screen. If that is the case, I recommend the H6510BD if it is in your price range. It will also be a nice bit brighter then the W1070 if your room is not ideal for daytime viewing although some shades and curtains make the the W1070 very usable in the daytime. The Acer didn't require the curtains to be pulled over the shades while the W1070 definitely appreciates both forms of light shielding in the daytime.

Sorry, I cannot be of any help with the other projectors you are looking at as I have no first hand experience with them. I have owned the Acer H6510BD, the Viewsonic PJD7820HD (would not take the Viewsonic over the Acer) and currently own the BenQ W1070. The other projectors you are looking at might very well be better then the Acer but that I just cannot comment on.
post #15 of 28 Old 05-30-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I don't want you to do anything you are uncomfortable and don't want to be responsible for a bad deal. On Ebay, you need to look at the sellers ratings. I only buy high ticket items from top rated plus sellers.

There are also legit stores who ship international. For example, B&H Photo although they are currently out of stock of the BenQ W1070. Of course you would need to weigh in the shipping charges and taxes to see if it would be worth it for you and the policy if you receive a bad item. Of course warranty would also need to be considered. Not sure it would be covered unless you are inside the US.

Hey, take it easy, you were giving me only a suggestion, you´re not making me do things I don´t want to do, I´m 37, IF I pull the trigger with eBay and something wrong happens I´ll never blame it on you, it was a suggestion, not an order, we are cool. smile.gif

I´m glad you mentioned eBay because now I see that it´s a lot easier to buy from the USA than some years ago (not like 5 years ago), and maybe I wont buy a projector but now I can see things that I can buy that here in México are A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE.

Its funny that the 1080p projectors on eBay are a little more expensive than in México, taxes are a little too heavy, well excepting the Benq W1070, it´s a lot cheaper.

On the other hand, the 720p projectors are noticeable cheaper. Maybe, maybe, maybe cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

If you have a Best Buy down there, then check them out. I am betting they have available to sell a lot more than just 720p models, but that may be all they have in stock right now.

For many people, a projector is a long term purchase item, so if that's the case for you, be sure to get something you will be happy with for the time you intend to own it. Buying a $500 projector, when for $800, or $1,000 you could have what you 'really' wanted if you only saved for a few more months seems silly. Just save for a few more months and keep a VERY close eye on deals and sales which are local to you and protect your purchase. You certainly do want your purchase covered by warranty and you will want peace of mind for your purchase.

I would take it nice and slow if I were you. It doesn't sound like you have a projector that just 'broke' so you have to replace it quickly. It doesn't sound like your TV just went out so you have nothing to watch at all. So, no rush. Look around, and see if you can look at a couple of 720p projectors or maybe a 1080p projector if you can find one. Go in with a critical eye, after all, it is your money! Read as many reviews as you can from owners. Then when you feel comfortable make your purchasing decision.

Be aware that the BenQ W1070 continues to get the praise as the best looking and valued projector under $2,000 right now. So, you may want to really dig into finding out what your options are for that model down there.

As far as I know Best Buy in México doesn´t have 1080p projectors, I´ve been looking for them for a couple of months and in their website I´ve never seen them, but I´ll see when I go there.

My TV works like a champ, I´m not in a hurry, I´m a patient person, before buying my TV made an investigation, prices, quality, also with my Denon receiver and my Pioneer Andrew Jones Line speaker system, took me like 3 months to make a decision, and since 2011 I have them and still loving it, I´m always with low budget, but triying to get the best for my money. smile.gif

I really appreciate the time all of you took to give advises, they were very useful to think about things I dind´t considered, as I said before, the "only" thing to do is watch a 720p projector working to make the decision of buying one or wait for the 1080p one saving more money. smile.gif

Quote:

I will mention one thing that I did not like about the Acer H6510Bd although not directly related to the picture quality of the projector.

It only has one available user setting for you to input your personal settings. So you could not use your own custom settings for the different times of the day if you wanted a night and daytime setting. You would have to use one of the default settings for you second setting. Now here was the real kicker. If you change any of the related picture settings on one of the defaults it would automatically turn that into your user setting and overwrite whatever settings you had set up previously. So if you had your colors set in the user setting, all of that would change to to default user setting and you would need to re-enter everything back.

I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing it if the picture is better then another projector you are thinking about as pq is really the most important thing but this is something that can be very annoying and I can't see any rhythm or reason why they would have the settings work like that.

If you do not consider yourself a videophile and can live with less then perfect colors then the H6510BD can deliver. I think the picture will please the average consumer and then some. Would probably even wow most average consumers.

If you require more spot on colors, like more of a cinema look and consider yourself very picky when it comes to video, then you need to find a way to get the W1070. From what it sounds like though and you are willing to settle for a 720p projector, you just want a good experience with a large screen. If that is the case, I recommend the H6510BD if it is in your price range. It will also be a nice bit brighter then the W1070 if your room is not ideal for daytime viewing although some shades and curtains make the the W1070 very usable in the daytime. The Acer didn't require the curtains to be pulled over the shades while the W1070 definitely appreciates both forms of light shielding in the daytime.

Sorry, I cannot be of any help with the other projectors you are looking at as I have no first hand experience with them. I have owned the Acer H6510BD, the Viewsonic PJD7820HD (would not take the Viewsonic over the Acer) and currently own the BenQ W1070. The other projectors you are looking at might very well be better then the Acer but that I just cannot comment on.

Also the Acer H6510BD has the problem of having "spots" in the lens after some use because the dust enters to the lens, and it´s a BIG problem for me, because in FEBRUARY-MARCH the lack of rains and strong winds make the México´s Valley (the valley in wich México City lays) and where I live, near the mountains, a very dusty place, not like the sand storms in Arizona, but you can see how easily the dust acumulates on the house´s furniture. Thanks for the advise. wink.gif

As Moby would say:

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
post #16 of 28 Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I haven't heard of Acer's spot problem, but several users have complained about dust in the w1070. If you have that kind of dust problem, you're going to have to employ special procedures no matter what projector you get to keep the environment from messing up the machinery.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-31-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I haven't heard of Acer's spot problem, but several users have complained about dust in the w1070. If you have that kind of dust problem, you're going to have to employ special procedures no matter what projector you get to keep the environment from messing up the machinery.

Because I´ll use the proyector like twice a week (may be more) and it will not be placed in a permanent position, so the plan is to put it in a carrying bag or make a cover to protect it from the dust. wink.gif

Thanks.
post #18 of 28 Old 05-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I know the Acer comes with a case, possible the Benq does too.
post #19 of 28 Old 05-31-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I know the Acer comes with a case, possible the Benq does too.

No case supplied with the W1070 (although strangely, the W1080 does come with one). No idea why.

Care does need to be taken around dust - as you mention, the W1070 has had several dust-related issue reports (myself included).

The W1070 comes packaged in a plastic dust-cover, so I've improvised a re-usable cover for my W1070 by cutting a slit in the top of it, and just slipping it on when we do spring-cleans of the room. It looks like this:

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #20 of 28 Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well, by pure luck had the chance to watch an ACER H6510 BD, when started watching everything was perfect, but after 10 minutes of watching, RAINBOW FLASH!!!, then few seconds later another flash, and it was not all the time, just from time to time, but it was a little annoying, so, looks like the only 1080p projector I could afford is no longer a choice, so, 720p 3LCD it is, kind of sucks, but its my only choice given my budget, still not able to see a 720p 3LCD projector.

If the 720p projector doesn´t fit my liking, then maybe have to go to a 50" tv, but I´m not in a hurry, maybe something would come by, or not, we´ll see.

Last edited by tlalotoani; 06-14-2014 at 03:23 PM.
post #21 of 28 Old 06-14-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 232
If you go here you can calculate shipping and duty to Mexico.... http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...ils/188198159/

If you are worried about eBay, you could always try Amazon, or one of the Sponsors of the Forum.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #22 of 28 Old 06-14-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
If you go here you can calculate shipping and duty to Mexico.... http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-im...ils/188198159/

If you are worried about eBay, you could always try Amazon, or one of the Sponsors of the Forum.
Well, as I said above, the 1080p projectors are more expensive importing directly from USA than buying them here in México.
post #23 of 28 Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post
Quote:

Well, as I said above, the 1080p projectors are more expensive importing directly from USA than buying them here in México.
I don't know how you are coming up with that... If you look at the link it and punch in $700 for a projector what is the total? I came up with around $1100 compared to your $1500 amount. I know that is out of your range still but it might be cheaper to import. Why not take a trip to the USA and buy one and take it back to Mexico?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #24 of 28 Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know how you are coming up with that... If you look at the link it and punch in $700 for a projector what is the total? I came up with around $1100 compared to your $1500 amount. I know that is out of your range still but it might be cheaper to import. Why not take a trip to the USA and buy one and take it back to Mexico?
My budget is US$700, not a penny more, the only 1080p projector I could afford here in México WAS the Acer H6510BD, but not anymore because I´m Rainbow effect sensitive, thanks for the sugestion
post #25 of 28 Old 06-17-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Could you swing this? Might be able to talk him down a bit?

BenQ W1070 3D Projector [CAN & CONUS]
post #26 of 28 Old 06-17-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post
Could you swing this? Might be able to talk him down a bit?

BenQ W1070 3D Projector [CAN & CONUS]
I would say offer him $500 since they are available new for almost exactly what he is asking.

post #27 of 28 Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I would say offer him $500 since they are available new for almost exactly what he is asking.
Well there you go, sounds like a great deal to me.
post #28 of 28 Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

So, after a month of thinking, I decided to go for the Acer H6510BD, still with the slight RBE sensitivity, I found a place in wich I can return the projector if I don´t like it (or see too much rainbows) without questions at a good price, but if the RBE is unbearable and with my budget, I´ll go with the 3LCD Epson 730HD, I know, its 720p, but it doesn´t look that bad, even with its LOW contrast, but with the plus that the replacement bulb "only" costs US$130.

This is the worst case scenario I was talking about, so, movies only at night, that will be the portable DIY screen and in red and green the possible placement of the projector.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SALASA.jpg (276.3 KB, 9 views)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page