Need to be pointed in right direction for $2k--$3k projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 07-03-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Oppo prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Check out east coast TV, 2779 w/free shipping, brand new full warranty
THANK YOU! Great price and no tax. I assume this is a good company to deal with or your would not have mentioned them. And, they are offering 2% + $20 off right now.
I cannot find a "deal" on the Oppo 103D. Nothing under $600. If you know where I could do better, I sure would appreciate knowing.
Thanks, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA

Last edited by richardorser; 07-03-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 07-04-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Check out east coast TV, 2779 w/free shipping, brand new full warranty
DAMN! I ordered it at EastCoastTVs.com got a nice coupon discount, but this morning I get a call saying the unit is discontinued and they cannot fill my order!!!!! Back to square one. --Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #33 of 51 Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

May I have your suggestion for a good surge protector to protect this new equipment? I have a whole house surge protector, but believe I should also have local ones.
Thanks, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #34 of 51 Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The whole house surge protector should be adequate for your electronics. I would highly recommend a UPS so you can properly shut down your projector in the event of a power outage or short interruption of power damaging the lamp or projector. As far as protection on the DC side of things during electrical storms their is no way short of disconnecting everything (very impractical ), that's why you have insurance. Something at least 600KVA should be adequate.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #35 of 51 Old 07-10-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Rek, Is the JVC DLAX 35 the SAME projector as the JVC DLA-RS46U?
My local guy can find the former, but not the latter. Any advantage of one model over the other? Also, I can get an extra bulb for $200; Good deal?

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #36 of 51 Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 52
As far as I know they are the same projector, or very close. If its an OEM lamp yes its a good deal, make sure its not a generic or equivalent.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #37 of 51 Old 07-10-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardorser View Post
Rek, Is the JVC DLAX 35 the SAME projector as the JVC DLA-RS46U?
My local guy can find the former, but not the latter. Any advantage of one model over the other? Also, I can get an extra bulb for $200; Good deal?
X35 & RS46 are the same model. $200 is a good price for the lamp if it is a JVC branded original.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #38 of 51 Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As far as I know they are the same projector, or very close. If its an OEM lamp yes its a good deal, make sure its not a generic or equivalent.
You all might wish to know that fivestarbuy.com gave me a very good price and even threw in an extra JVC lamp.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #39 of 51 Old 07-23-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

CORRECTION:
FiveStarBuydotCom was NOT able to supply me a JVC rs46U projector. They seemed sincerely to try to find me one, but could not. To their credit, they let me keep the free projection bulb they DID send me as part of the package deal that fell apart due to lack of supply of this discontinued projector.
I am now considering upping the ante to the 49U. $1,000 more, but available. I would appreciate any comments about whether this projector has all the good characteristics of the 46U that so many of you have recommended for my particular home theater set-up. If it has all the 46U has to offer plus 4K, I will pop for the extra $$.
BTW, do you know if that free projection bulb I was given for the 46U would fit the 49U?
Thanks to all,
Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #40 of 51 Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Richard - I sent you a PM on this, but still will say that the entire JVC lineup of home theater projectors is a force to be reckoned with. They are all of very good build quality and tend to have few issues. But, the real budget value of the RS46 for the incredible movie performance is unique. The other models do very well, but aren't the same bargain.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #41 of 51 Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

I responded to your PM, Paul.
So, we are back to the RS46U as most bang for the buck.
Thanks. R

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #42 of 51 Old 08-10-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Richard - I sent you a PM on this, but still will say that the entire JVC lineup of home theater projectors is a force to be reckoned with. They are all of very good build quality and tend to have few issues. But, the real budget value of the RS46 for the incredible movie performance is unique. The other models do very well, but aren't the same bargain.
The JVC DLA RS-46 projector arrived Friday. Now, I need to get it hung and hooked up to my new Oppo BR player.
Thanks for all your help.
Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #43 of 51 Old 08-10-2014, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
The JVC DLA RS-46 projector arrived Friday. Now, I need to get it hung and hooked up to my new Oppo BR player.
Richard
So what do you think? and how bad is the lag on any video games if you play any?
post #44 of 51 Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Richard
Where did you end up buying it from?
post #45 of 51 Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Richard
Say, Friends,,
I now have my new JVC DLA-RS46 and now need a ceiling mount for this 32.6 pound projector.
I have looked at the Omni 3N1-PJT, and the Sanus VP1 which hangs down awfully far, and the pricey Chief offerings.
I hope you will have some recommendations for me, please. I would like one that is not real tall, as I want to keep the projector tight to the ceiling.
The DIAGONAL distance between the screw holes on the projector is ~17.5 inches.
Any help you could provide would be gratefully received.
Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #46 of 51 Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
first the JVC RS46 would be just right in that room, .
I got the projector you recommended. Hope you can afford the time to respond to my post of this evening:
Say, Friends,,
I now have my new JVC DLA-RS46 and now need a ceiling mount for this 32.6 pound projector.
I have looked at the Omni 3N1-PJT, and the Sanus VP1 which hangs down awfully far, and the pricey Chief offerings.
I hope you will have some recommendations for me, please. I would like one that is not real tall, as I want to keep the projector tight to the ceiling.
The DIAGONAL distance between the screw holes on the projector is ~17.5 inches.
Any help you could provide would be gratefully received.
Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #47 of 51 Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I highly recommend the Chief RPMA281 mount for the RS46. It is very sturdy and easy to adjust.

- Jeff

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #48 of 51 Old 08-12-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
I highly recommend the Chief RPMA281 mount for the RS46. It is very sturdy and easy to adjust.
Thanks for the response JJ. I guess you have to order that with the plate to match the JVC RS46, right?
Another option just arose. I could pretty easily build a shelf just under the ceiling where I had planned to hang the JVC upside down. That would put the lens at the same height above the top of the screen (11") as if it were hung. Is there any reason that the JVC could not be right side up (its feet on the bottom) when doing an above screen set up? IOW can it be shelf-set rather than upsidedown ceiling mounted? I assume that the JVC can adjust both up and down to center the picture.
Hope I am making myself clear.
Anyway, would greatly appreciate your opinion of up-side-down ceiling mount vs. right-side-up high, shelf-mount.
Thanks a million, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #49 of 51 Old 08-12-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response JJ. I guess you have to order that with the plate to match the JVC RS46, right?
Another option just arose. I could pretty easily build a shelf just under the ceiling where I had planned to hang the JVC upside down. That would put the lens at the same height above the top of the screen (11") as if it were hung. Is there any reason that the JVC could not be right side up (its feet on the bottom) when doing an above screen set up? IOW can it be shelf-set rather than upsidedown ceiling mounted? I assume that the JVC can adjust both up and down to center the picture.
Hope I am making myself clear.
Anyway, would greatly appreciate your opinion of up-side-down ceiling mount vs. right-side-up high, shelf-mount.
Thanks a million, Richard
The RPMA281 includes the plate for the JVC although you won't often see the plate in the photo of the item on amazon, etc.

There is no problem with the unit sitting on a shelf, the lens shift range is symmetric. In this case you'll still be able to translate, rotate, elevate, and tilt the projector with the adjustable feet to align with the screen just as you would a mount.

- Jeff

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #50 of 51 Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
The RPMA281 includes the plate for the JVC although you won't often see the plate in the photo of the item on amazon, etc.

There is no problem with the unit sitting on a shelf, the lens shift range is symmetric. In this case you'll still be able to translate, rotate, elevate, and tilt the projector with the adjustable feet to align with the screen just as you would a mount.
It would seem that a shelf would be preferable to hanging. One could easily adjust the legs and take the projector down for bulb change or replacement, right? Any advantage to a ceiling mount if one can have a shelf?
Thanks, R

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #51 of 51 Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
It would seem that a shelf would be preferable to hanging. One could easily adjust the legs and take the projector down for bulb change or replacement, right? Any advantage to a ceiling mount if one can have a shelf?
Thanks, R
The ceiling mount will hold the projector in a fixed position and orientation as well so it's mostly a non-issue either way AFAIK. It basically sounds like it would boil down to the aesthetics & WAF for you.

- Jeff

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - $2k--$3k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page