Need to be pointed in right direction for $2k--$3k projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I need to replace an existing Knoll projector and have searched the threads enough to know what information you pros need to make suggestions.
I hope you can afford the time to point me in the right direction--perhaps, suggest 3 or 4 projectors that would satisfy my situation--narrow the field a bit for me. It's overwhelming for a newbee

Here are the givens:
$3,000 to spend on the projector and $500 on a new BluRay player (probably Oppo w/ Darby)
I watch only MOVIES from Netflix discs and streaming—nothing else.
The room has dark walls, and I watch only at night, so viewing room is quite dark.
I sit 9’ from the screen, and my ears are 6 ½’ from the projector, so a QUIET projector is important to me.
Room is 11’ wide X 14’ long
Front of current projector is 13’ 8” from the 105” (diagonal) motorized DaLite Cosmopolitan screen (52” X 91”) 16:9
Current projector is mounted so lens is 10” above the top of the screen (7’ 5” above the floor)
Ceiling is a pitched one, 10’ at center (along the 14’ length) & 8’ high along the sides.
I'm an old guy with failing eyes, so bright is good.

If you can just get me started on this decision process & educate me as to what to look for, I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance, Richard
AirySound likes this.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 60
first the JVC RS46 would be just right in that room, second choice would be Sony HW40ES a little brighter , better at 3D and a little cheaper, third choice Epson 5030. I don't think brightness would be an issue for any of those projectors with a 105" screen.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
Old 05-31-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I am so grateful for a succinct reply that I can carry on researching. Would your 3 grandchildren agree with this assessment?
I'll compare prices and features. I assume that all 3 would have zoom, 3-D, and important features.
What about this feature that automatically fits the image to the screen. Is that something worth having?
Again, thanks for the guidance.
RIchard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

first the JVC RS46 would be just right in that room, second choice would be Sony HW40ES a little brighter , better at 3D and a little cheaper, third choice Epson 5030. I don't think brightness would be an issue for any of those projectors with a 105" screen.

That'd be my recommendation as well. I'd make sure JVC has fixed their bulb life problem with the RS46. I think they have, but their old ones had quite the appetite for bulbs (1000-1500 hrs was not abnormal in eco).
Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Get the JVC RS46.

Your room is a movie watching space and you came from a premium brand. You will appreciate the quality that JVC has with the RS46 across the board. Phenomenal black levels, good lens shift, some motorized functions which are nice, and it fits your budget nicely.

I would not consider the Sony or the Epson unless you were into gaming or some unusual viewing habits.

The screen size is ideal for the JVC.
The room setup is ideal for the JVC.
Your demand for a quality image is ideal for the JVC.

I know you need to do your homework on this, but anyone recommending a brand other than JVC is either going top dollar without added quality, or is just doing a disservice to you.

JVC has better models that add some image quality, so you may want to look at them as well, but they are over budget.
ben38 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, the stars are lining up. It's great when you can get such unanimous recommendations from three knowledgeable guys.
Thank you ever so much. The only other item I need is a good BluRay player. I am considering an Oppo, but might add that since I watch Neflix discs, i.e., abused and scratched; I want a player that is robust enough to be able to navigate a scratched disc. Is there any way to learn which players are better at busting through scratched segments?
Thanks again for all your help guys.
Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure if anyone has really done such testing on a regular basis with different players.

It certainly would be considered unanimous that the Oppo is one of the best players on the market. It may be questionable as to whether or not the cash spent is worth it considering the inherent top shelf quality that already exists with BD. Since you have a native 1920x1080 source, the main goal of players is reproduction, not improvement, but I have heard good things about Darbee. I'm not sure how much I buy them myself, but Oppo and Darbee garner high praise, and that's tough to ignore. If your budget allows it, then that's one of the better purchases which can be had.

Of course, a really good subwoofer is as well. smile.gif

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the BD in "...top shelf quality that already exists with BD." mean?
I like my old Velodyne subwoofer a lot. I'm happy to keep my existing audio theater equipment and just put the money toward upgrading to BluRay (projector and player)
Speaking of that, Where are some good places to look for good deals on the JVC if I want to install it myself or just pay a pro by the hour to do so?
Again, thanks for your support & information. --Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 06-03-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardorser View Post

Thanks.
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the BD in "...top shelf quality that already exists with BD." mean?
I like my old Velodyne subwoofer a lot. I'm happy to keep my existing audio theater equipment and just put the money toward upgrading to BluRay (projector and player)
Speaking of that, Where are some good places to look for good deals on the JVC if I want to install it myself or just pay a pro by the hour to do so?
Again, thanks for your support & information. --Richard
Blu-Ray Disc.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

No one has addressed the "noise" of the various projectors suggested. As I mention in the opening of the thread, I am but 6.5 feet from the projector and don't have great hearing, so really want a quiet projector.
Is there any way to compare projector operational noise? Some seem to publish dB ratings and others (like the JVC) do not.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

No one has address the "noise" of the various projectors suggested. As I mention in the opening of the thread, I am but 6.5 feet from the projector and don't have great hearing, so really want a quiet projector.
Is there any way to compare projector operational noise?

Unfortunately many 'professional' reviews do not bother to list the noise (decibel) level on projectors when run in full or eco power mode. Not sure why that is since most measurements can be taken at 1 meter distance from projectors.

From Art Feierman's review of the JVC X35/RS46:

JVC DLA-X35 Audible Noise
Quote:
Anything this big, I would expect to be fairly quiet compared to smaller projectors Rather, it’s more in line with the Epson, which at full power is not really quiet. I find I normally forget about it, but switching to low power one is surprised by how much the noise level drops.

We do not measure audible noise but based on those projectors that publish a noise spec for full power (High), I’d put the JVC X35 around 32db. JVC claims 23db in low (Normal) power.

In its price range, the DLA-X35 is going to be a little noisier than some, with its noise comparable to DLP projectors, and a little noisier than the quieter of the 3 panel projectors around its price. The Sony competition is quieter, the Epson competition is not.

In other words, there are very few projectors that are significantly quieter at full power, but several are going to be “a bit” quieter.

- See more at: http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-dla-x35-performance-2/#jvc-dla-x35-audible-noise

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Note the response I received when I wrote my local installer> I am sure you will have a comment--at least, I hope you do.

>>That projector has been discontinued, it was selling for $3500, so if you are finding it online for less than that, that's why. And it may not be coming with the warranty. We can get you an Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030 Projector Bundle for $3,499. The bundle comes with the projector, mount & an extra lamp. The mount & lamp together would cost you around $600. It comes with a 3 year warranty & has been getting some great reviews. Let me know what you think.<<

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 06-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sounds like a supplier trying to shift you to a higher margin product (for him).

Why would a NEW projector from an authorized dealer not carry a factory warranty?

The 6030 is a Pro AV Installer version of the Epson 5030 with a few extra bits. It's not worth $3.5k unless you're definitely buying through that guy.

The RS-46 is so flexible on placement you'd be hard pressed to go from any HT projector to it and the placement to not work. It will need a stout mount though, as it's a big boy.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Note the response I received when I wrote my local installer> I am sure you will have a comment--at least, I hope you do.

>>That projector has been discontinued, it was selling for $3500, so if you are finding it online for less than that, that's why. And it may not be coming with the warranty. We can get you an Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030 Projector Bundle for $3,499. The bundle comes with the projector, mount & an extra lamp. The mount & lamp together would cost you around $600. It comes with a 3 year warranty & has been getting some great reviews. Let me know what you think.<<
There is no real need to respond to this. The RS46 is a much better home theater projector for serious movie viewing. Unlike the 6030 which has protected sales channels and gives more profit to the installer, the RS46 is available online and can be a fair bit less. So, you may need to pay closer to $3,000-$3,200 for a custom guy to install it for you as they need to make some money and they have bills to pay. Fair enough.

The spare lamp is worth something for sure, and JVC lamps aren't cheap. So, it's nice it comes with a lamp, but the 6030 is almost the exact same model as the Epson 5030 which is a $2,500 projector. So for an extra $1,000 you get $600 in bonus items! Wait... what?

The JVC RS45 is a better 2D projector than most of what is out there. The RS46 corrected some serious 3D issues, and is reasonably good with 3D, and is the best 2D projector under $3,000 that I know of for watching movies and occasional (non-serious) gaming.

Any custom guy selling you gear has to make money, I get it, but I don't understand why they would steer you to product that isn't as good. You can insist upon the RS46/X35 model and see what price you end up with. But, even on a good day, I wouldn't take the 6030 over the 5030 from Epson. The 6030 is kind of a suckers product. I mean, good for the custom installer, but when you know that it's the 5030 in a black shell, you can figure out quickly that it's not as nice.

I've bought a number of projectors from Visual Apex and other locations which I've sold to customers and have marked up a flat 10% for my time and effort and to cover any potential service calls which may be required under a 1-year warranty period. I've gone in and readjusted the projectors under warranty, etc. and customers have been okay with it.

Online pricing simply doesn't open fair competition to people who have to pay employees and actually will take care of you, so there has to be some give and take there.
DavidHir likes this.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to you and RPS13 for responding to my questions.
I think it is like hiring a financial adviser; much better to hire someone with nothing to sell--pay them just for advice. No one can be completely objective when there is more money to be made in one direction vs. the other.
I'll get the equipment myself and pay a good installer well to set up the system. No conflict of interests.
Is it true what the installer says about the JVC RS45 having been discontinued?
Thanks, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 06-07-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...it true what the installer says about the JVC RS45 having been discontinued?
The RS45 is discontinued.
The RS46/X35 is the current model and is readily available.

I have not seen a new model out yet from JVC to replace the RS46/X35.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by richardorser

The RS45 is discontinued.
The RS46/X35 is the current model and is readily available.

I have not seen a new model out yet from JVC to replace the RS46/X35.
Why can I not see the RS46 at the JVC.com website under "Home Theater Projectors"?

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardorser View Post
Why can I not see the RS46 at the JVC.com website under "Home Theater Projectors"?
From their pro site...
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL102177

It looks like they may have (just) put it as discontinued.

Strange, as it really is the same as the DLA-X35, but with slightly different case work.

http://procision.jvc.com/product.jsp...hId=71&page=10

The X35 and RS46 are the same, so it depends on where you find the best deal.

I know I should have access to the RS46 for about $2,799.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
good idea,We can get you an Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030 Projector Bundle for $3,499. The bundle comes with the projector, mount & an extra lamp. The mount & lamp together would cost you around $600. It comes with a 3 year warranty & has been getting some great reviews. Let me know what you think.[IMG]http://*******/Xv1t7N[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2014, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgot963 View Post
good idea,We can get you an Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030 Projector Bundle for $3,499. The bundle comes with the projector, mount & an extra lamp. The mount & lamp together would cost you around $600. It comes with a 3 year warranty & has been getting some great reviews. Let me know what you think.[IMG]http://*******/Xv1t7N[/IMG]
ORRRRR, you could get the 5030, an extra extended warranty for FOUR years a mount from Chief (best on the market) + the extra bulb for about the same $600 (ish)....
Old 06-27-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgot963 View Post
There were 18 posts in here before you. That means (unless you're being sarcastic, in which case..my bad) you failed to read a measly 17-18 posts which would've saved yourself from reposting the same money-sink the OP already mentioned from a vendor.

It's a single page
So strong, the urge to face-palm
Some people, I swear
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
There were 18 posts in here before you. That means (unless you're being sarcastic, in which case..my bad) you failed to read a measly 17-18 posts which would've saved yourself from reposting the same money-sink the OP already mentioned from a vendor.

It's a single page
So strong, the urge to face-palm
Some people, I swear
I think it's a spam bot of some sort. I've seen a number of threads like this where word-for-word portions are taken from other posts, and then have something added to them. They 'almost' make sense, but it's always new posters, with only 2-3 posts, and they all kind of read right, but they tend to be in different forums (weird) with similar 'not quite right' vibes about them.

Part of the new forums... more spam, my back button refused to work, no preview of recent posts in the threads, and I had to figure out how to stop getting emails when people quoted me. Ah well... look around, you may end up running across a few more similar to this.
Ftoast likes this.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Can't believe I didn't think of that because I HAVE seen them around but always with a long quote followed by a two word response. I thought this was just a particularly clueless seller.
Oh well, I stand by my haiku.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Recommended JVC RS46 DISCONTINUED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Rek, I just learned that the JVC RS46 that you, and others here, felt would be the perfect fit for my situation has been discontinued. Would you suggest that I try to find one still in stock or wait for the replacement?
If the models change little from year to year, it would seem better to go with something that you guys already know is a good, solid project with a lot of bang for the $. But, if there is some significant improvement that would likely be included in the replacement model, I could wait before replacing my Knoll.
I sure would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks, Richard

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 07-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Rek, I just learned that the JVC RS46 that you, and others here, felt would be the perfect fit for my situation has been discontinued. Would you suggest that I try to find one still in stock or wait for the replacement?
If the models change little from year to year, it would seem better to go with something that you guys already know is a good, solid project with a lot of bang for the $. But, if there is some significant improvement that would likely be included in the replacement model, I could wait before replacing my Knoll.
I sure would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks, Richard
I would still recommend the RS46 for the best picture quality. But it may not be the most cost effective choice. It is known to have short bulb life and the bulbs are expensive. If your being budget minded then the great deal on the new just released Sony hw40es for $2000, but it won't stand up to the 2D picture of the JVC. As for being discontinued means great prices on B stock and leftovers. Will JVC come out with something like sony did I don't know it may be worth waiting for.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would still recommend the RS46 for the best picture quality. But it may not be the most cost effective choice. It is known to have short bulb life and the bulbs are expensive. If your being budget minded then the great deal on the new just released Sony hw40es for $2000, but it won't stand up to the 2D picture of the JVC. As for being discontinued means great prices on B stock and leftovers. Will JVC come out with something like sony did I don't know it may be worth waiting for.
Thanks again, Rek,
Any suggestions for finding that "B Stock and leftovers" you mentioned?

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks again, Rek,
Any suggestions for finding that "B Stock and leftovers" you mentioned?
EBay has a few for $2700
If you want to step up to a model with eshift 4K for $3500 there are several
Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, but I cannot locate any E-Bay RS46 for less than $2,850

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Old 07-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

They were most likely bids, anything under $3000 with shipping is a good deal for brand new. Saw one from a private owner with $2500 opening bid in an unopened box, and no bids.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They were most likely bids, anything under $3000 with shipping is a good deal for brand new. Saw one from a private owner with $2500 opening bid in an unopened box, and no bids.
Check out east coast TV, 2779 w/free shipping, brand new full warranty

Gear in this thread - $2k--$3k by PriceGrabber.com