First Projector (Need Adivce) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 06-06-2014, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm about to buy my first projector to be used in the garage for movies/gaming. Budget is under 500$ here are my choices ViewSonic PJD5134 SVGA DLP Projector, ViewSonic PJD5232 XGA DLP Projector, ViewSonic PJD5533W WXGA Portable WXGA Projector, Optoma H180X 3D DLP Projector. Please suggest if you know a better under $500 Projector. I'm leaning towards getting the ViewSonic PJD5533W WXGA over ViewSonic PJD5134 SVGA

But as far as I know the only difference is the Native Resolution am I right? (sorry really new to this) I almost bought a China Projector in eBay because they have tons of features but I don't know abuot quality or if the Specs is accurate. To make it short I need all the help/info/recommendation you guys can give to me. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-07-2014, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm fairly new to the whole projector business, but I have done some research over the past few weeks, and I can tell you that there is definately plenty more things separating the projectors than the native resolution! :)

I would recommend scrolling through the reviews at projectorcentral or projectorreviews (dot com) to check out some expert opinions on your desired projectors, and go from there!

I also would steer clear of cheap-made china projectors. Not sure which ones you've been looking at, but I have seen one in action, and I was not impressed! :P

post #3 of 28 Old 06-07-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Whatever you do, do not buy something lower then 720p.
post #4 of 28 Old 06-07-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have Viewsonic PJD5533W? Thoughts? Or Viewsonic PJD5134?
post #5 of 28 Old 06-07-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
The Acer H5380bd is supposed to have better color than those viewsonics, and it should be at or under $500. Everything I've heard says it looks better than anything else in that price range if you're okay going 720p to save money.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 331
No chance I would recommend any of those Viewsonics...

Why not the Optoma which is a native 16:9 projector with 1280x720 resolution and is $449 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0DI8LK?ref%5F=sr%5F1%5F1&qid=1402196837&sr=8-1&keywords=optoma%20h180x

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 28 Old 06-07-2014, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

No chance I would recommend any of those Viewsonics...

Why not the Optoma which is a native 16:9 projector with 1280x720 resolution and is $449 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0DI8LK?ref%5F=sr%5F1%5F1&qid=1402196837&sr=8-1&keywords=optoma%20h180x

Your right. So far that's my top choice? anymore recommendations or experience using this projector?

post #8 of 28 Old 06-07-2014, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

post #9 of 28 Old 06-08-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
You didn't say anything about screen size or your room environment.. If small screen 100" +- and dark walls and ceiling you will get a far better quality machine and image from a used high end model such as this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-Projector-VP12S3-/141306220891?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item20e681d15b
Make a $200 offer and see what happens
post #10 of 28 Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

You didn't say anything about screen size or your room environment.. If small screen 100" +- and dark walls and ceiling you will get a far better quality machine and image from a used high end model such as this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-Projector-VP12S3-/141306220891?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item20e681d15b
Make a $200 offer and see what happens
While I can appreciate that sentiment, if the 'OEM' lamp fails after a couple dozen hours, he's out several hundred dollars (he can't afford) on a manufacturer original lamp. Far more if any other projector component fails.

I think of the used market as a great place to waste money that you can afford to lose, but for those who are on a tight budget, then the warranty matters a great deal, and it's something I would question as to how much better a older projector actually is compared to a brand new model with the latest processing in it. Sure, it has a better lens on the Marantz, but is using the same (or worse) DLP chip, has far older processing technology, and misses connections such as native HDMI.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 28 Old 06-08-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I will put the projector mainly in the garage. I Already bought a Screen which is 100" Inch. I preffer brand new and atleast have an HDMI and 3D capability. Is there a projector that has a USB slot that can read files for Movies, Music, Photos?

post #12 of 28 Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

While I can appreciate that sentiment, if the 'OEM' lamp fails after a couple dozen hours, he's out several hundred dollars (he can't afford) on a manufacturer original lamp. Far more if any other projector component fails.

I think of the used market as a great place to waste money that you can afford to lose, but for those who are on a tight budget, then the warranty matters a great deal, and it's something I would question as to how much better a older projector actually is compared to a brand new model with the latest processing in it. Sure, it has a better lens on the Marantz, but is using the same (or worse) DLP chip, has far older processing technology, and misses connections such as native HDMI.

Find me a new projector with V/H lens shift and a $1000 lens for $200-$300.. sure warranty is great.. but if you need to use it.. it only goes to show what you are actually buying.. Wouldn't trade my $1500 used Planer PD 8150 for anything new under $5000 but hey, your right is isn't for everyone and no mentioned the fact that you can get really good used stuff for real cheap..
post #13 of 28 Old 06-08-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzey View Post

I will put the projector mainly in the garage. I Already bought a Screen which is 100" Inch. I preffer brand new and atleast have an HDMI and 3D capability. Is there a projector that has a USB slot that can read files for Movies, Music, Photos?
Unless you feel like using an LED portable PJ (which I understand isn't the first choice for many), there are few if any projectors that play video straight from USB..let alone do it well. You can however find a used $20 laptop with a cracked screen and hook that up to any projector as an inexpensive media player. The broken screen won't matter, you won't be limited in projector choices, and you won't feel bad about having it in the garage.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of upping my budget to around 800$ and I saw BenQ's W1070 is this a good projector?
post #15 of 28 Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzey View Post

I'm thinking of upping my budget to around 800$ and I saw BenQ's W1070 is this a good projector?
The w1070 is so good that you'll have to pay twice as much or more to find anything noticeably better. It's only real weak point is that it's a little loud compared to some other home-theater models. Not as loud as many business-projectors, but louder than dimmer, lower wattage models.

post #16 of 28 Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzey View Post
Yes, the W1070 is the best valued and performing projector on the market under $2,000 right now. It's a very wise decision to just hang out for a few more months if needed to get into the W1070.

I personally find the noise level, in low-power mode, to be acceptable. I'm running it in low power, on a 161" screen with no brightness issues at all.

post #17 of 28 Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
W1070 is definitely worth the extra money as many others have said :-)
post #18 of 28 Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ordered BenQ W1070 hope it's worth it. Any recommendations for speakers? Sound bar or any powered speaker. (Don't have an amp)
post #19 of 28 Old 06-13-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ordered BenQ W1070 hope it's worth it. Any recommendations for speakers? Sound bar or any powered speaker. (Don't have an amp)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...package/1.html

4 HDMI inputs, proper A/V receiver, 5.1 surround sound, great price.

There are far more expensive options, but nothing that I would consider anywhere close that is cheaper.

post #20 of 28 Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Quote:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...package/1.html

4 HDMI inputs, proper A/V receiver, 5.1 surround sound, great price.

There are far more expensive options, but nothing that I would consider anywhere close that is cheaper.
This is a nice package, but I'm now looking for a bluray player/ 5.1 speaker that can play multiple audio and video formats thru usb and must have wifi. Any suggestions?

Btw BenQ W1070 came and it's AWESOME!!!
post #21 of 28 Old 06-15-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is a nice package, but I'm now looking for a bluray player/ 5.1 speaker that can play multiple audio and video formats thru usb and must have wifi. Any suggestions?

Btw BenQ W1070 came and it's AWESOME!!!
If you're looking for a bluray player that also played video from USB AND has WiFi networking worth using..seriously, broken-screen laptop..does everything in spades and shouldn't cost over $50. You can use it with any audio system (like the nice one above) instead of getting tied down to something specific only to have one part of it break (in the garage) and bring down the entire system.

Unless you have the nicest garage ever, it's silly to spend more on something that's probably going to stay out there because it's too big to bring back and forth unlike the projector that can easily be brought inside afterwards.
post #22 of 28 Old 06-15-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
If you're looking for a bluray player that also played video from USB AND has WiFi networking worth using..seriously, broken-screen laptop..does everything in spades and shouldn't cost over $50. You can use it with any audio system (like the nice one above) instead of getting tied down to something specific only to have one part of it break (in the garage) and bring down the entire system.

Unless you have the nicest garage ever, it's silly to spend more on something that's probably going to stay out there because it's too big to bring back and forth unlike the projector that can easily be brought inside afterwards.
The system I'm planning to buy will stay in the garage. I do have a laptop but I don't want to bring it back and forth. I also like bluray players with 5.1 speakers so that's all I'll need to start watching. I mean all I have to bring out is the projector itself and an HDMI cable. Bluray players with Wifi is a plus because of the apps mainly Verizon Fios so I can watch TV channels on the projectors as I don't have a Fios Box in the garage. I was thinking of getting the Onkyo plus a Roku but Roku's ability top lay multiple format on a USB is limited and Roku's App Store doesn't have Verizon Fios.
post #23 of 28 Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I figured with a used laptop, you'd just be able to leave it outside and use it in place of a roku and likely in place of a BD player and just leave it connected to the soundsystem in the garage. I know it may seem odd to have a second laptop, but if the price is super low and it fulfills everything you need it to do, why not.
post #24 of 28 Old 06-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good info to me,thanks ,copy: I mean all I have to bring out is the projector itself and an HDMI cable. Bluray players with Wifi is a plus because of the apps mainly Verizon Fios so I can watch TV channels on the projectors as I don't have a Fios Box in the garage. I was thinking of getting the Onkyo plus a Roku but Roku's ability top lay multiple format on a USB is limited and Roku's App Store doesn't have Verizon Fios.thanks [IMG]http://*******/8e9eFH[/IMG]
post #25 of 28 Old 06-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I figured with a used laptop, you'd just be able to leave it outside and use it in place of a roku and likely in place of a BD player and just leave it connected to the soundsystem in the garage. I know it may seem odd to have a second laptop, but if the price is super low and it fulfills everything you need it to do, why not.
And go insane trying to make everything work. Bluray disks should be played from a bluray player IMHO. Now if he wants to play rips or something with xbmc then a laptop could be good, but most don't have the best graphics cards.
post #26 of 28 Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
And go insane trying to make everything work. Bluray disks should be played from a bluray player IMHO. Now if he wants to play rips or something with xbmc then a laptop could be good, but most don't have the best graphics cards.
I don't know how putting a disc and hdmi in a computer could be any more troublesome than putting a disc and hdmi into a player, and the only computer I've had struggle with fullHD was an early 2000 netbook with the original ATOM singlecore and a smartphone videocard (I believe the original galaxy S1 runs a higher version of that PowerVR).
He said he wants USB built-in mediaplayer functions, and I honestly have no idea if that's possible for BD-players let alone common.

A laptop could simply plug and play all those things (discs, USB, apps, rips) and wouldn't care about specific formats. All for the same price or less than a BD-player as long as it has hdmi, BR, and is less than a decade old. BD updates are easier too.
post #27 of 28 Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Not if you want everything synced properly. Took me a good six months to get it right and dvds are a hassle.
post #28 of 28 Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't you just have audio and video coming out via the computer's hdmi? The only syncing problems would come from a bad audio system pass-through (which would affect a BD player just as bad, while the computer would at least have an option to correct for it) or using a weirdly split setup which would be asking for trouble with any system..and again at least a PC would have options for correcting the problem.

Or do you mean sync problems with 3D? I haven't had any problems with 3D from PC, but I know 3D can be fickle sometimes.

What sort of problems was the PC setup throwing at you?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page