What is the best projector for my needs? - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
Several quick questions:

I plan to use the Optoma H180X, (unless anyone has a better used projector for under $400 that they would sell me!) and my room dimensions are 16ft by 14ft by 8ft.

What is the biggest screen size that I could reasonably accommodate? I would like something between 110" and 120", perhaps? Based on either a 110" or 120" screen size in my room, where is the optimal location for this projector? I plan to ceiling mount, just not sure where on the ceiling to mount it?
Go to a public library or something with a real computer. The iPhone doesn't support Flash so the calculator doesn't work.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

But, for a 110" diagonal the lens to screen distance is anywhere between 12' and 13'2".
For a 120" diagonal, the lens to screen distance is anywhere between 13'1" and 14'4".

The projector must have the lens 7" above the 110" screen or must have the lens 8" above the 120" screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Go to a public library or something with a real computer. The iPhone doesn't support Flash so the calculator doesn't work.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

But, for a 110" diagonal the lens to screen distance is anywhere between 12' and 13'2".
For a 120" diagonal, the lens to screen distance is anywhere between 13'1" and 14'4".

The projector must have the lens 7" above the 110" screen or must have the lens 8" above the 120" screen.

Thanks for that info! My room is 17ft deep so I can go as far back as is necessary. I wonder what size screen I could go with if I mounted the projector 15ft back? Would there be any disadvantages to mounting the projector 15ft back and using a larger screen?

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh and if anyone out there has a good used projector in the $250 to 350 price range that you might consider selling , please hit me up!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Oh and if anyone out there has a good used projector in the $250 to 350 price range that you might consider selling , please hit me up!
Ebay is most likely the best place to buy a used projector. I have seen optoma HD33 go for $400 and are equal to the benq 1070 in most respects. But be aware you could get someone else's junk or a great buy. Manufacturer refurbished is good seller refurbished means nothing. If you don't want 3D than the viewsonic 8200 pro was a praised projector a few years ago and sell now around $400 used. Most people ask way to much for their used projectors if it isn't at least 50% below street price new than its most likely not worth it. If you can't gamble with your money than always buy new or manufacturer refurbished.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Ebay is most likely the best place to buy a used projector. I have seen optoma HD33 go for $400 and are equal to the benq 1070 in most respects. But be aware you could get someone else's junk or a great buy. Manufacturer refurbished is good seller refurbished means nothing. If you don't want 3D than the viewsonic 8200 pro was a praised projector a few years ago and sell now around $400 used. Most people ask way to much for their used projectors if it isn't at least 50% below street price new than its most likely not worth it. If you can't gamble with your money than always buy new or manufacturer refurbished.
How are the older Epson models? I have no need for 3D or any special bells and whistles. It would be nice to find something used in the $250 to $300 price range that I could use temporary until I can afford a BenQ W1070. I am also finished with my dedicated theater room and would like to pick up a temporary el-cheapo $250 projector just to get up and running until I can afford better! Suggestions for used $250 to $300 projectors would be great!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
How are the older Epson models? I have no need for 3D or any special bells and whistles. It would be nice to find something used in the $250 to $300 price range that I could use temporary until I can afford a BenQ W1070. I am also finished with my dedicated theater room and would like to pick up a temporary el-cheapo $250 projector just to get up and running until I can afford better! Suggestions for used $250 to $300 projectors would be great!
Most are probably good enough to make you happy, but your biggest issue will be the reliability of any used product. This is your gamble. And - I believe that's all it is. A gamble. Because, if it is in good shape, and has a good lamp, then you could get 1,000+ hours of use from it and be extremely happy with it. The W1070 isn't a huge improvement overall all other projectors before it. It's just the best value and image in a new projector under $2,000 currently on the market. Not by a lot, but by a bit. So, the Epson 1080UB is still a nice looking projector, or the older Panasonic AE1000 even.

Something like this, may make you very happy...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Optoma-HD20-...item3f383ebf78

IF it works for the long haul. But Optoma factory original replacement lamps are going to be around $300, which isn't exactly cheap if you end up needing on.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend the older LCD models especially Epson. They were known for very short lamp life, burned blue polarizers, bad convergence of the panels and dust blobs. Some of the 720p DLP's had chip failures and color wheels have been known to fail but in the long run DLP is more reliable. ( this is my opinion only we don't need another DLP vs LCD war)

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Thanks for the extensive reply AV Integrated! I tried out the projector calculator, but, it wouldn't tell me anything. I plugged in the Optoma H180X and there were no options or buttons that calculate anything. I tried to download the flash that is required to make it work, as I assumed that not having it was my problem, but, I could not get it to load on my iPhone as I have no PC or laptop at the moment, only an iPhone 5.
Yeah, iPhones don't do Flash. Sorry about that. We publish a projector calculator app called "ProjectorPro" in case you need a calculator on your phone in the future.