What is the best projector for my needs? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > What is the best projector for my needs?

Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007
05:48 AM Liked: 172
post #1 of 38
06-07-2014 | Posts: 3,692
Hey guys! I am in the process of completing my new dedicated theater room, and I want to purchase a projector and screen for the ultimate theater setup, but, I spend all of my time in the DIY Speaker forum, and I don't know much about projectors. So I was hoping that you guys could help me find what is the best projector for my particular situation. My room will be totally dark with no sunlight, and have only ambient lighting.

Ok, for starters, I don't mind buying a used projector if it will save me money. My budget is around $500 or less. My room is 14ft by 17ft by 8ft. The screen and LCR's will be on the 14ft wall, and the listening position will be approx 10ft back from the screen and LCR's. I am not a videophile, i just want a decent picture. Not concerned with 3d or any fancy features.

As far as the screen size, I want it to be bigger than my 65" LED TV, but, I don't have any clue as to what would be optimal in my 17ft by 14ft by 8ft room with a viewing distance of approx 10ft? I am also unsure of which would be the best way to mount the projector?

With all of that being said; can any of you guys recommend a projector for these criteria? Budget is under $500 and I don't mind buying used.
wormraper's Avatar wormraper
06:33 AM Liked: 74
post #2 of 38
06-07-2014 | Posts: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Hey guys! I am in the process of completing my new dedicated theater room, and I want to purchase a projector and screen for the ultimate theater setup, but, I spend all of my time in the DIY Speaker forum, and I don't know much about projectors. So I was hoping that you guys could help me find what is the best projector for my particular situation. My room will be totally dark with no sunlight, and have only ambient lighting.

Ok, for starters, I don't mind buying a used projector if it will save me money. My budget is around $500 or less. My room is 14ft by 17ft by 8ft. The screen and LCR's will be on the 14ft wall, and the listening position will be approx 10ft back from the screen and LCR's. I am not a videophile, i just want a decent picture. Not concerned with 3d or any fancy features.

As far as the screen size, I want it to be bigger than my 65" LED TV, but, I don't have any clue as to what would be optimal in my 17ft by 14ft by 8ft room with a viewing distance of approx 10ft? I am also unsure of which would be the best way to mount the projector?

With all of that being said; can any of you guys recommend a projector for these criteria? Budget is under $500 and I don't mind buying used.

welcome to this side of the forum Marty!! how them twin beasts holding up??? I'm mentally ill and thinking of building 1-2 more marty subs because I'm bored and...well mentally unstable it seems biggrin.gif

now, I know it's been said before, but with the amount of effort and work you've done into your HT a $500 projector is gonna be an insult to your gear. In all honesty unless you're dead broke and can't ever get the money I'd get the Optoma HD131xe or my 1st recomendation would be the Benq W1070. (or the 1080st), the Benq's will work MUCH better with a short throw of 10 feet... you could get almost 120 inches with 10 feet (from the lens). even bigger with the 1080st since it's a short throw projector

as with those subs we built, it's better to do it right than do something for a bit cheaper. the Optoma and the Benq are the best for their budget IMO and only a few hundred more than the $500 budget you have. honestly, with the time and effort you've put into your HT you'll be kicking yourself if you're looking to get a PJ in the $500 range.

the Benq goes on sale on Benq's own website for a refurb for only $677 and new it was just recently $749
dolphinc's Avatar dolphinc
06:34 AM Liked: 25
post #3 of 38
06-07-2014 | Posts: 347
Quote:

You can go pretty big in a room like that but if your viewing distance is 10' i would stick around 106" screen size, go to big and you'll see some pixels. As for projector $500 isn't going to get you much, if you can squeeze it to $600 or $650 you might find an Epson 8350 or even better a BenQ w1070 which BenQ has refurbished one's on their site from time to time for about $600 which is well worth the extra hundred or so.

Good luck. smile.gif
AV_Integrated's Avatar AV_Integrated
09:30 PM Liked: 378
post #4 of 38
06-07-2014 | Posts: 3,498
First, you don't want to go used on a projector as replacement lamps are $200-$300 and if you don't know the history of the projector, you are taking a risk which your budget does not indicate that you can afford.

Second, with a 10' viewing distance (a bit close) you should consider about 92" to 100" being 'center of theater'. If you like sitting a bit closer in the theater, then perhaps a 110" or larger diagonal would be more to your liking. Do NOT go smaller than 92" for sure.

The projector you should get is the BenQ W1070. ($750ish)

The projector you indicate that you can afford is the Optoma H180X ($450ish)

I don't recommend that anyone not buy a 1080p projector anymore unless you really can't wait and save up, and you just gotta have a projector right now. I don't agree, but it's not my money.

Finally, you talk about it being a dedicated room... Are you intending to properly paint it to be a theater? Dark walls, dark ceiling, dark carpet? Or is just like every other room of your home? Beige carpet, light walls, white ceiling? A proper home theater isn't the later... ever. If you have the former, or intend to, or are willing to intend to, then do so! If not, then you will be giving up significant image quality due to secondary light reflections, which will be significant.
05:33 AM Liked: 172
post #5 of 38
06-08-2014 | Posts: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

First, you don't want to go used on a projector as replacement lamps are $200-$300 and if you don't know the history of the projector, you are taking a risk which your budget does not indicate that you can afford.

Second, with a 10' viewing distance (a bit close) you should consider about 92" to 100" being 'center of theater'. If you like sitting a bit closer in the theater, then perhaps a 110" or larger diagonal would be more to your liking. Do NOT go smaller than 92" for sure.

The projector you should get is the BenQ W1070. ($750ish)

The projector you indicate that you can afford is the Optoma H180X ($450ish)

I don't recommend that anyone not buy a 1080p projector anymore unless you really can't wait and save up, and you just gotta have a projector right now. I don't agree, but it's not my money.

Finally, you talk about it being a dedicated room... Are you intending to properly paint it to be a theater? Dark walls, dark ceiling, dark carpet? Or is just like every other room of your home? Beige carpet, light walls, white ceiling? A proper home theater isn't the later... ever. If you have the former, or intend to, or are willing to intend to, then do so! If not, then you will be giving up significant image quality due to secondary light reflections, which will be significant.

Yes, it is a dedicated room, and I will be painting the walls a deep dark burgundy with a black ceiling and some still undecided (recommendations?) carpet.

As far as the listening position, I might go back to 12ft if that would give me a bigger screen option. The initial 10ft viewing/listening position was just a random thought as I am used of listening to ribbon tweeters in a moderately sized room, and being that I am building some Seos-15 + DNA-360 + duel JBL-2226 LCR's, I could probably sit back 12ft and still get reference at the listening/viewing position.
05:42 AM Liked: 172
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

welcome to this side of the forum Marty!! how them twin beasts holding up??? I'm mentally ill and thinking of building 1-2 more marty subs because I'm bored and...well mentally unstable it seems biggrin.gif

now, I know it's been said before, but with the amount of effort and work you've done into your HT a $500 projector is gonna be an insult to your gear. In all honesty unless you're dead broke and can't ever get the money I'd get the Optoma HD131xe or my 1st recomendation would be the Benq W1070. (or the 1080st), the Benq's will work MUCH better with a short throw of 10 feet... you could get almost 120 inches with 10 feet (from the lens). even bigger with the 1080st since it's a short throw projector

as with those subs we built, it's better to do it right than do something for a bit cheaper. the Optoma and the Benq are the best for their budget IMO and only a few hundred more than the $500 budget you have. honestly, with the time and effort you've put into your HT you'll be kicking yourself if you're looking to get a PJ in the $500 range.

the Benq goes on sale on Benq's own website for a refurb for only $677 and new it was just recently $749

Loving my full sized Marty Subs too! I am actually also in the process of building two additional full sized MartySubs as well!

Thanks for the recommendations on the BenQ W1070 & Optoma HD131XE! I will have to do some figuring on how much money I will have left after finishing our house remodel, and Seos speaker build. I would really prefer to keep the cost under $500, and I know that I likely won't get the best performance compared to the BenQ and Optoma, but, as I said, I am not a videophile, just an audio & bass nut! smile.gif

Do you guys think there is really that much difference in performance for between that $450 Optoma H180X and the Optoma HD131XE?
05:49 AM Liked: 172
post #7 of 38
Also, can anyone recommend the optimum viewing distance in a room my size that is 17ft by 14ft by 8ft? I was I notionally considering a 10ft viewing/listening position because I was used to having ribbon bookshelf speakers that had to be relatively close to the listening position in order to get decent SPL in my former theater room. That plus the fact that I did not want to be back against the rear wall for acoustical reasons. Is it best to sit in the middle? Or would it be better to sit 3/4 distance back?

What about the screen size in a room of my dimensions? I want something that is bigger than my current 73" Mitsubishi! I will be using a still undecided (recommendations?) AT screen that I will likely DIY.
08:41 AM Liked: 74
post #8 of 38
06-08-2014 | Posts: 4,416
Quote:

Also, can anyone recommend the optimum viewing distance in a room my size that is 17ft by 14ft by 8ft? I was I notionally considering a 10ft viewing/listening position because I was used to having ribbon bookshelf speakers that had to be relatively close to the listening position in order to get decent SPL in my former theater room. That plus the fact that I did not want to be back against the rear wall for acoustical reasons. Is it best to sit in the middle? Or would it be better to sit 3/4 distance back?

What about the screen size in a room of my dimensions? I want something that is bigger than my current 73" Mitsubishi! I will be using a still undecided (recommendations?) AT screen that I will likely DIY.

I don't see anything wrong with a 100 - 120 inch screen. I sit 11 feet back from a 120 incher without any problems. if you get a decent projector like the 131xe or the W1070 I see no problems. and yes the 131xe is an upgrade over the other optoma you listed ... by a decent margin

and 3/4 back is fine too. all depends on how close you like to sit. both will work fine

also what SEOS build are you doing? I need to finish off my SEOS surrounds. I have a trio of Cheap thrills up front with my 2 martys
10:53 AM Liked: 378
post #9 of 38
06-08-2014 | Posts: 3,498
Quote:

Also, can anyone recommend the optimum viewing distance in a room my size that is 17ft by 14ft by 8ft?
There is no such thing as an 'optimum viewing distance'.

Viewing distance is related to screen size typically. Center of theater seating is about 1.5x the screen width. So, in a theater, with a 30' wide screen, the center seats are about 45' from the screen.

In your home, if you have a screen that is 8' wide (about a 110" diagonal), then 'center of theater' seating would put your eyes about 12' from the screen.

Now, if you like sitting a bit closer than the center seats of a theater, you would make your screen a bit larger OR move your seats a bit closer.

Since I like sitting a bit closer, I am viewing my 161" screen from 15' eyes to screen. So, personal preference certainly comes into play.
Quote:

I was I notionally considering a 10ft viewing/listening position because I was used to having ribbon bookshelf speakers that had to be relatively close to the listening position in order to get decent SPL in my former theater room. That plus the fact that I did not want to be back against the rear wall for acoustical reasons. Is it best to sit in the middle? Or would it be better to sit 3/4 distance back?
If you are planning your seating around acoustics, that's a great way to do things IMO. I'm not big into the specifics of acoustics in a room, but if you go down that road, go ahead and let the audio determine your best seating distance, then figure your screen size on your definite seating distance and personal preference.
Quote:

All else considered, understand that your 73" Mits. is just a big TV. Home theater should be far more immersive and truly recreate the movie theater experience in your home... except better. You get the immersion of a screen that is comfortable to watch along with audio and video which rivals the local Cineplex.

I would go with the W1070 in a second over any other projector under $1,000 at this point. The reviews are far stronger for it than the other models and the use of a RGB/RGB color wheel has simply put it a big step ahead of everyone else. $450 for the H180X, about $700ish for the W1070. It's $250 well spent.
11:05 AM Liked: 378
post #10 of 38
06-08-2014 | Posts: 3,498
Quote:

I would really prefer to keep the cost under $500, and I know that I likely won't get the best performance compared to the BenQ and Optoma, but, as I said, I am not a videophile, just an audio & bass nut! smile.gif

Do you guys think there is really that much difference in performance for between that $450 Optoma H180X and the Optoma HD131XE?
We all want to keep projector pricing down, but if you are going to get a projector, then get 1080p. Seriously, this isn't about 'videophile' - If you were to go down that road, then you would get the JVC RS46 which is closer to $2,800 and actually is a long ways from the W1070/HD131Xe.

As for the H180X vs. HD131Xe, I can't speak to. They have similar numbers on paper, and knowing Optoma, they likely use a very similar color wheel. They are both designed around entry level home theater, and I would think the majority of the savings is coming from a cheaper lens, a cheaper processor, and the lower resolution chip. But, I can't imaging them going cheaper on the color wheel than the 131Xe already is.

To that point, the BenQ W1070 is a better projector than the HD131Xe by all the reviews I continue to read. Using a RGB/RGB color wheel of higher speed than the Optoma models, you get better color, you get better color brightness, and you get less noise in the image.

I would say it's between the H180X, which is a solid cheap model and the W1070 which is one of the best rated and reviewed 1080p entry level projectors ever for $250 more (or so).

Frankly, I've been clear on this already, but I would say that you should just save up $250 more and get the W1070. If you have some time, keep an eye on the BenQ website, they have factory refurbs with a warranty go up there all the time for under $700.
11:35 AM Liked: 74
post #11 of 38
06-08-2014 | Posts: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

We all want to keep projector pricing down, but if you are going to get a projector, then get 1080p. Seriously, this isn't about 'videophile' - If you were to go down that road, then you would get the JVC RS46 which is closer to $2,800 and actually is a long ways from the W1070/HD131Xe.

As for the H180X vs. HD131Xe, I can't speak to. They have similar numbers on paper, and knowing Optoma, they likely use a very similar color wheel. They are both designed around entry level home theater, and I would think the majority of the savings is coming from a cheaper lens, a cheaper processor, and the lower resolution chip. But, I can't imaging them going cheaper on the color wheel than the 131Xe already is.

To that point, the BenQ W1070 is a better projector than the HD131Xe by all the reviews I continue to read. Using a RGB/RGB color wheel of higher speed than the Optoma models, you get better color, you get better color brightness, and you get less noise in the image.

I would say it's between the H180X, which is a solid cheap model and the W1070 which is one of the best rated and reviewed 1080p entry level projectors ever for $250 more (or so).

Frankly, I've been clear on this already, but I would say that you should just save up $250 more and get the W1070. If you have some time, keep an eye on the BenQ website, they have factory refurbs with a warranty go up there all the time for under $700.

i'm with AV_integrated on this one. just go with the W1070... it's only a few hundred more than what you wanted to spend and it IS worth it. I've had a lower end 720p, then the 8350 (which is about on par with the W1070) and then the JVC RS46... believe me the w1070 will be a BIG difference between it and that low end optoma. for anything under $1k it's the one to beat.
05:46 AM Liked: 172
post #12 of 38
06-09-2014 | Posts: 3,692
This is a tough situation trying to decide what to do. The problem is that right now I am unable to work due to the fact that I am having to take chemo treatments. Unfortunately I only have so much money to spend, with no way to increase that amount. I have prioritized the audio part of this setup, so if I go with any thing over $500 that would take money away from the audio side, and that is a compromise that I really do not want to make.i can always replace the projector when. I am able to work again.

So, with that being said, I would like to know what is out there for under $500 on the used market? I understand the risk with the possibility that I might have to replace a bulb at some point, but, this is likely going to be a temporary projector anyway. What can you guys recommend in the $300-$500 range on the used market? Or, would the H180X for $450 be the best option?
08:29 AM Liked: 378
post #13 of 38
06-09-2014 | Posts: 3,498
Quote:

So, with that being said, I would like to know what is out there for under $500 on the used market? I understand the risk with the possibility that I might have to replace a bulb at some point, but, this is likely going to be a temporary projector anyway. What can you guys recommend in the $300-$500 range on the used market? Or, would the H180X for $450 be the best option?
Let me be clear. While you understand I don't recommend any projector under the W1070, if you are going to purchase one, then the H180X is the best model IMO that is out there. It comes from a reputable manufacturer, is designed around home theater, uses a proper 1280x720 chip instead of a 1280x800 business class chip Optoma has consistently made decent home theater projectors, and the HD131Xe, while not as good as the W1070, is still a very respected model, and the H180X I am quite sure draws from that design.

At $300, you can buy used, and gamble that it won't go bad, or you get the H180X and have a product which should run for several thousand hours with a full warranty, and the latest technology that goes with it.

Yes, I would get the H180X if that's where my budget is.
ensyed's Avatar ensyed
11:53 AM Liked: 10
post #14 of 38
06-09-2014 | Posts: 453
I am not a videophile. Last summer I was inspired to buy a cheap projector for outdoor movie viewing. I bought a viewsonic 5533 based on amazon reviews. For 400 ish. I love it. I project it on to any plain wall in the house and use a portable speaker plus Apple TV to create a portable tv. It is 720p and had I known I would use it so much I would have prob gone for the Benq but my viewsonic is still a great of my purposes.
12:54 PM Liked: 378
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed View Post

I am not a videophile.
I'm gonna have to say that this is the second time I've heard someone say "I'm not a videophile" today.

Let's be clear, if you were a videophile, then it would be a very short journey to understand that under $2,500 you really aren't touching a projector that a videophile would consider worth owning.

The manufacturers don't have 20 models of 720p projectors. Most don't have any. For most manufacturers, their absolute cheapest home theater projector is a 1080p model. Why shouldn't it be? Front projection gets the most benefit from 1080p compared to most other viewing formats such as flat panels and even computer monitors. But, people still want to save a few bucks so a few manufacturers make lower than entry level projectors for home theater and they are truly bottom of the line. No bells and whistles, just a basic clean 720p image.

Spend just a few hundred bucks more and you get into entry level 1080p and a significant step upwards in quality as that is where several manufacturers are competing for market share. It isn't a JVC RS46 or a Sony 55ES projector we are talking about at $3,000. It's just $300 more, maybe less, and is a long way from 'videophile' quality. It's entry level. It looks very good, and it's really inexpensive.

Obviously there are times when you are so not-into home theater that you just make do at the cheapest price possible and be happy with it, but this truly is a smaller and smaller minority at this point, and considering the price gap, for good reason.
ensyed's Avatar ensyed
02:03 PM Liked: 10
post #16 of 38
06-09-2014 | Posts: 453
Sadly I did not do my HW on avsforum :-( and to be honest I thought I would use the projector for outdoor movies 4-5 times a summer on my 12 ft outsoor screen. Never having seen a projector in person i did not realize its potential. It's hard to sell used low end projectors so I have wait for a special occasion to upgrade.
02:37 PM Liked: 378
post #17 of 38
That's cool man, I get it. I just find that people shouldn't use the term videophile when they think of $2,000 or even $3,000 projectors. It's kind of like... I'm not a race car driver, so an entry level $3,000 car is just fine for me. None of that race car stuff for me! wink.gif

There's obviously a long way between entry level and videophile which some people are just missing.
06:32 AM Liked: 172
post #18 of 38
06-12-2014 | Posts: 3,692
Point taken with regards to the Videophile comment that I made.

So it looks like I will be purchasing an H180X!

BUT! If anyone out there who is reading this thread has a projector under $400 that they would like to sell for an upgrade or what ever, please send me a PM!
06:38 AM Liked: 172
post #19 of 38
06-12-2014 | Posts: 3,692
Also, assuming that I get the H180X, I have some questions on how to set it up:

1. Should it be ceiling mounted? I just got done hanging, finishing,, and painting my ceiling, (black) so if this projector needs to be ceiling mounted, how does that work? Would I need to cut out a square 1ft by 1ft hole to instal a brace for the projector?

2. My room is roughly 16ft by 14ft by 8ft. What is the optimal viewing distance, and screen size? The screen will go on the 14ft wall, and there is 16ft of length in the depth of the room, and I don't want to be right up against the back wall.

3. How hard is it to set up and calibrate? Any tips?

4. Last but not least, is it possible to DIY an acoustically transparent screen? If so, how should it be made?
robl45's Avatar robl45
10:44 AM Liked: 12
post #20 of 38
06-12-2014 | Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

1. Should it be ceiling mounted? I just got done hanging, finishing,, and painting my ceiling, (black) so if this projector needs to be ceiling mounted, how does that work? Would I need to cut out a square 1ft by 1ft hole to instal a brace for the projector?

2. My room is roughly 16ft by 14ft by 8ft. What is the optimal viewing distance, and screen size? The screen will go on the 14ft wall, and there is 16ft of length in the depth of the room, and I don't want to be right up against the back wall.

4. Last but not least, is it possible to DIY an acoustically transparent screen? If so, how should it be made?
Everyone is different, but I have been very happy with my gt750 projector, replacing it soon as it seems to be going bad and you can probably get it cheap. I sit about 12 feet back from a 135 inch screen and I wish it was bigger. In your size room I would seriously consider a 135 screen. I got mine motorized off ebay for under 300. As for seeing pixels, you can slightly de focus it and you won't see it.
Ftoast's Avatar Ftoast
12:51 PM Liked: 188
post #21 of 38
06-12-2014 | Posts: 1,271
Quote:

Ceiling mounting does come with the benefits of the projector being more out of the way and not having to worry about center seating blocking the image.
You can brace directly to studs OR use weight anchoring screws that'll hold right into plain plaster or sheetrock, but you will have to cut a hole if your ceiling is drop panels.

Your room will support up to 120" (16:9 at 2ft off the floor and 1ft from the ceiling) and most people don't go smaller than 100" so your seating distance could easily vary from about 8ft to 13ft. If you want a little space behind you for rear speakers in a surround system, you might consider sticking to a screen at or under 110", you'll likely be sitting around 1.3X the screen width away unless you find sitting closer to the 720p doesn't bother you..and even a close 1:1 seating will have you 8-9ft back.

Everything except the CMS color-balancing is pretty easy to setup and can be done in a few minutes by eye. Once you've got the projector, yell at me via PM and walk you through it if you want.

I've heard of people having great success making acoustic transparent out of a simple wooden or occasionally aluminum frame and spandex material. I'd trust the spandex to have less artifacts than perforated screens and less visible texture than perf or weaved.
robl45's Avatar robl45
04:13 PM Liked: 12
post #22 of 38
06-12-2014 | Posts: 655
he can easily fit a 135 inch screen, his room is bigger than mine.
Ftoast's Avatar Ftoast
04:49 PM Liked: 188
post #23 of 38
06-12-2014 | Posts: 1,271
135" would fit, but it'd be only 1-1.5ft off the floor and using an acoustic transparent screen would mean you'd need to be at least 11ft back to be a 1:1 distance from a 720p image, which might be considered too close.

If the screen is acoustic-transparent, it'll likely be 1ft forward from the wall which leaves 13.10ft separating screen from lens. That maxes out around 125" I think. Would speakers behind the AT screen be mounted to the wall or mounted inside the wall?
05:45 PM Liked: 378
post #24 of 38
06-12-2014 | Posts: 3,498
Quote:
Mount to ceilings joists, or to wood backing you already put in place. If you have failed to put this in place, then I would open up the ceiling and do so, or I would take a piece of plywood, surface mount it, and paint it to match the room. There are a number of ways to do this.

Do you have power and all your wiring in the ceiling already? How did you plan on doing this?

Quote:
Most projectors are ceiling mounted.

You should check your screen size and the distance you can hit for your screen size. Here is the calculator (learn how to use it!)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

The H180X has a very limited zoom range, and all measurements are from the lens to the screen. So, if the projector is rear wall mounted, putting the lens about 15' to the screen, you will have an image diagonal between 125" and 137" diagonal.

The center of the lens must be about 8" to 9" above the top of the screen. So, the screen will be about 1 foot from the ceiling at the closest. Realistically, it should be a fair bit lower. I wouldn't go more than about a 130" diagonal if you intend to sit towards the back of the room. This is mostly due to the quality you will be able to achieve with the resolution available.

Standard 'middle of theater' screen sizing says that your viewing distance should be 1.5 times the screen width. So, with a 130" diagonal (110" width) and your eyes about 14' from the screen, then you will have a pretty solid 'center of theater' feel.

Quote:
Setting it up means plugging it in and hitting the power button. For calibration, get the Disney WOW! Blu-ray Disc and put it in your player and try it out.

Quote:
Seymour AV has good acoustically transparent material, and there are likely a ton of tips in the 'DIY Screen' forums right here on this site.
appmatteach
06:44 PM Liked: 0
post #25 of 38
06-13-2014 | Posts: 2
think so, The initial 10ft viewing/listening position was just a random thought as I am used of listening to ribbon tweeters in a moderately sized room, and being that I am building some Seos-15 + DNA-360 + duel JBL-2226 LCR's, I could probably sit back 12ft and still get reference at the listening/viewing position.thank you[IMG]http://*******/8e9eFH[/IMG]
06:18 AM Liked: 172
post #26 of 38
06-14-2014 | Posts: 3,692
Ok, I have plywood under the Sheetrock in the ceiling in this room, so ceiling mounting should be pretty easy as there is plenty of wood to support the actual projector itself.

The problem that I am trying to figure out now is; how do I get the power to it, and the HDMI cable into my equipment closet which is around 16ft away in a separate room? I have a ceiling light fixture so would it be possible to wire that to the projector in order to get the power to it and nix the light? I would then have to figure out a way to get some type of lighting in the room if I nix the ceiling light fixture and use that cable to power the projector.

Also, does the projector need to be mounted in the exact center of the room? I am not sure if my light fixture is in the exact center, bud, it would be nice if I could use that wire to power it and figure out a way to cover the hole?

Any other general tips for pulling speaker cable through the walls and how to get them through the walls with our making a huge hole in the wall?
03:19 PM Liked: 378
post #27 of 38
06-14-2014 | Posts: 3,498
Quote:
...how do I get the power to it
You cut open the ceiling and run the wiring as necessary.

Quote:
...HDMI cable into my equipment closet which is around 16ft away in a separate room?
You cut open the ceiling and run the wiring as necessary.

Quote:
I have a ceiling light fixture so would it be possible to wire that to the projector in order to get the power to it and nix the light?
Maybe, if that makes the most sense, but probably not.

Quote:
I would then have to figure out a way to get some type of lighting in the room if I nix the ceiling light fixture and use that cable to power the projector.
Tons of ways to light a theater.

Quote:
Also, does the projector need to be mounted in the exact center of the room?
The lens on the projector, compared to the screen size, determines the throw distance. The lens must be centered (left/right) to the screen, but if you have a 1000" screen then obviously that would need the projector to be further away than a 10" screen. So, you will need to learn to use the projection calculator here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...ulator-pro.htm
Not joking - learn to use this calculator, it makes it very clear where the projector is permitted to go. All measurements are LENS TO SCREEN.

Quote:
Any other general tips for pulling speaker cable through the walls and how to get them through the walls with our making a huge hole in the wall?
If walls are recently painted, and not textured, then now is the second best time to take care of this. The best time being before you put up sheetrock.

Open the walls, run the wires, patch, and paint. If this is your home, it is absolutely silly not to do it this way. It will take a few days, maybe a couple of weeks to get everything taken care of, and you will need some basic skills with tools to do so. Cut some holes, drill through joists, run the wiring. Same for the electric. There is a section of the forums which can help with your understanding of this, and it's outside of this thread. There are also tons of YouTube videos on running wires, hooking up electrical, etc. I just ran 4 new lights to my study. New wiring, had to cut one hole for the power, then 4 holes where the lights go. The lights filled those holes in the ceiling, so the only hole I had to fix was the one on the wall where I ran the wire up. Not to bad.

So, if you add a bunch of ceiling lights (about $20 each at a hardware store with trim). Then you will have the ceiling holes you may need to get the wiring all in place.

Still, it's your room, there's a ton of options and a lot to think about, and if you want to do this right, then it may be a good project to do. A fair bit of home improvement, and a lot of questions you should ask, but paint, a drill, and a drywall saw, and some spackle can go a long way to making it all work nicely.
06:19 AM Liked: 172
post #28 of 38
06-15-2014 | Posts: 3,692
Thanks for the extensive reply AV Integrated! I tried out the projector calculator, but, it wouldn't tell me anything. I plugged in the Optoma H180X and there were no options or buttons that calculate anything. I tried to download the flash that is required to make it work, as I assumed that not having it was my problem, but, I could not get it to load on my iPhone as I have no PC or laptop at the moment, only an iPhone 5.
06:23 AM Liked: 172
post #29 of 38
06-15-2014 | Posts: 3,692
Several quick questions:

I plan to use the Optoma H180X, (unless anyone has a better used projector for under $400 that they would sell me!) and my room dimensions are 16ft by 14ft by 8ft.

What is the biggest screen size that I could reasonably accommodate? I would like something between 110" and 120", perhaps? Based on either a 110" or 120" screen size in my room, where is the optimal location for this projector? I plan to ceiling mount, just not sure where on the ceiling to mount it?
06:17 AM Liked: 172
post #30 of 38
06-17-2014 | Posts: 3,692
If anyone has or see's a used projector for under $400 come up for sale, and that will outperform or at least be equal to the H180X from Optoma, please drop me a PM!

I am sooo ready to finish my theater build! Almost done, and am in need of a cheap projector ASAP!

Gear in this thread - W1070. by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread