post #1 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Suggestion for projector to replace Optoma GT750

Hello,

My Optoma GT750 developed a white dot on the screen last night. From reading it seems that means its pretty much going downhill fast Its 2 1/2 years old so not really worth fixing.

Was hoping you guys could help recommend a replacement. It needs to be 3D DLP and ideally have a port for an RF emitter for the glasses but I could live without that if I had to. We are moving shortly once we sell this house so I'm not sure of the throw range I would need but shorter throw would be better, my current projector is very short throw and the screen is 135 inches. My goal is to get the projector in a room so I can watch in peace and that means I'd need to throw a 135 inch screen from 12 feet or less.

I'd like to keep the price at 1000 or less and I watch a lot of 3D so 3D performance is important. My current projector is 720P and that works fine for me but Ideally I'd like to step up to 1080P if possible.

EDIT: Vertical lens shift would be helpful too. I'm assuming that means I can move the image up and down otherwise placement will be quite difficult.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone?
post #3 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So in doing some research, are there any projectors that are short throw and also have a Vesa port? I have DLP glasses for the kids and myself when I watch with them and RF glasses when I watch myself and I'd hate to lose either pair. It seems a short throw projector with vertical shift, rf and dlp does not exist anymore. I have all of these things with my GT750
post #4 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 283
About the only short throw quality projector that is 1080 is the W1080ST from BenQ. You do lose RF 3D. It also doesn't have lens shift. So, you would need to place it properly.

But, there aren't other options which are out there really.

There are new Optoma short throw 720p models, but not 1080 models.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
About the only short throw quality projector that is 1080 is the W1080ST from BenQ. You do lose RF 3D. It also doesn't have lens shift. So, you would need to place it properly.

But, there aren't other options which are out there really.

There are new Optoma short throw 720p models, but not 1080 models.
Yes, I could live without 1080P as I do it just fine now, but the new optoma doesn't have the Vesa port and I"m pretty sure the long throw projectors would be too long for anywhere i need to put it even in the new house we are getting shortly.

No lens shift would make it very tough as well in the current situation. I'll have to keep looking, and maybe go long throw, but they don't seem to be as bright and I use the projector as my TV all the time. Optoma said they will fix my chip assuming thats the problem so I may try that for right now.

No lens shift means I basically have to move the projector up and down to get it aligned with the screen right?
post #6 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Your currently projector doesn't have lens shift. I'm not sure why you move the projector up and down. You mount a projector where it needs to be mounted, that's the way it works. That's the way the vast majority of sub $2,000 projectors work. Put the projector where it goes. Measure 20 times, mount it once.

Why not describe your setup a bit more so that you can get some more options and opinions. What's your room like? You said a 135" screen. Is the room 12' deep or is it 12' from lens to screen? If you have 12' lens to screen, then get the BenQ W1070.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

It will hit the size, and is a great value.

I'm not sure what models may have a VESA port, but the DLP models will all do DLP Link. The BenQ W1070 and W1080ST are the best looking projectors around $1,000 right now. The W1070 is on the 'shorter' side of the throw distance, but the W1080ST is a true short throw model which can hit 135" diagonal from 6'9" to 8'2" lens to screen. It WILL work in your current space. The center of the lens must be about 2" above the top of your screen when ceiling mounted with these BenQ models.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My projector does do lens shift unless I don't understand what it means, in the menu I can adjust the screen up or down by 10 inches or so.

Currently the projector is in my living room, it sits on a step stool in front of the couch, I cant ceiling mount it in this house per the wife. I end up having to move it quite a bit depending on the circumstances. The screen is a motorized screen mounted on the ceiling. The actual screen is probably 4 inches from the ceiling. I believe its a standard 8 foot ceiling. I'm hoping in the new house to have a little more height but it really depends if I mount in the living room or in a bedroom. I'm hoping for a bedroom big enough so I can have some space to myself. The projector is about 9 feet back and I sit about 12 feet back from the screen.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-13-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

The GT750 does not have lens shift. It may have some sort of digital 'image position' setup, but by the specs, no actual lens shift.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT750.htm

It likely has keystone correction as well, which should be avoided.

I'm guessing the latest Optoma projectors have this same feature, but if you really enjoy using your projector, I would go with something cheap until you can do a setup which is permanent. Can't help with the projector not being able to be properly mounted situation, I get it happens, but there are some projector stands out there which I believe can be raised/lowered as necessary that may solve your height issues.

I always would get the best projector and then look for a way to make it work instead of looking for the inferior projector which I only buy because it happens to work. This is your choice obviously, but there are newer models of the GT series from Optoma that likely have the same features you are used to already with similar quality.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT760.htm

post #9 of 14 Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So the other projectors should be able to move the screen up and down in the menu too? That would be great if true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
The GT750 does not have lens shift. It may have some sort of digital 'image position' setup, but by the specs, no actual lens shift.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT750.htm

It likely has keystone correction as well, which should be avoided.

I'm guessing the latest Optoma projectors have this same feature, but if you really enjoy using your projector, I would go with something cheap until you can do a setup which is permanent. Can't help with the projector not being able to be properly mounted situation, I get it happens, but there are some projector stands out there which I believe can be raised/lowered as necessary that may solve your height issues.

I always would get the best projector and then look for a way to make it work instead of looking for the inferior projector which I only buy because it happens to work. This is your choice obviously, but there are newer models of the GT series from Optoma that likely have the same features you are used to already with similar quality.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT760.htm
post #10 of 14 Old 06-13-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
So the other projectors should be able to move the screen up and down in the menu too? That would be great if true.
No, just the GT760 may be able to, and you should read the manual.

I have no idea how they are accomplishing this without lens shift, and the 750/760 does not have lens shift, so this can only be done by limiting resolution in some way. Digital zoom, plus image movement. You don't get the full light output and you don't get the full resolution available. But, it does it somehow.

post #11 of 14 Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If they are WXGA (800x1280) instead of 720x1280, it has a free 10% of shift before it starts losing resolution for anything 16:9. As it's marketed as a gaming PJ, it's almost certainly wxga.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
If they are WXGA (800x1280) instead of 720x1280, it has a free 10% of shift before it starts losing resolution for anything 16:9. As it's marketed as a gaming PJ, it's almost certainly wxga.
Thanks, it is native 16 10 so that makes sense.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 99
It should be easy enough to make any 16:10 PJ do the same thing from a computer, but for anyone using a stand-alone player (or people who prefer not to have to dig too much) it'd be nice if this was a more common menu item for 16:10 projectors in general.

Imagine how nice having such a simple feature would be for those who primarily view 2.39:1 content; they'd get nearly an entire screen vertical worth of shift!

It's funny I never thought about any of this before this thread and my projectors are 16:10 as well. I believe it's accessible through the service menu if nothing else.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-15-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So in the new house, my plan is likely to shelf mount the projector on a wall as ceiling mount is a pain and I doubt the wife is letting that happen if it ends up in the family room or living room. So the W1070 BenQ, can that be shelf mounted? It seems to have lens shift that will make that likely.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - GT750 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page