Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2014, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Acer X1340WH distance from wall

Hello,

i am totally new to projectors and i bought 2 days ago my first one: Acer X1340WH.

However i don't understand some basic things yet.
Is there a specific distance that the projector should be from the screen in order to get the full results?
The projector should be exactly in the middle of the wall that is projecting and parallel to the wall in order to have best results?
Is there a way to increase decrease size of picture? I turned the rotating lens, but it adjust just to a minimal level the screen size.

i know that are probably dump and basic questions, but i need to start from somewhere...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by fekish View Post
Hello,

i am totally new to projectors and i bought 2 days ago my first one: Acer X1340WH.

However i don't understand some basic things yet.
Is there a specific distance that the projector should be from the screen in order to get the full results?
The projector should be exactly in the middle of the wall that is projecting and parallel to the wall in order to have best results?
Is there a way to increase decrease size of picture? I turned the rotating lens, but it adjust just to a minimal level the screen size.

i know that are probably dump and basic questions, but i need to start from somewhere...

Thanks
Seriously - These are bad questions because the owner's manual for the projector tells you every single answer to the questions you just asked.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_7456.pdf

But...

Page 3 of the manual tells you exactly where the zoom and the focus rings are for the projector. They are both right behind the lens, on top of the projector, side by side. Seems like you have played with the zoom ring, but didn't play with the ring right next to it to adjust focus. You need to adjust focus after adjusting to the proper size.

If you have a specific screen size you want, then the projector LENS must be the proper distance to achieve that screen size. Unfortunately, Acer doesn't properly list the throw ratio in their manual... because they are a computer manufacturer who imports cheap projectors from overseas. So, you will have to physically move the projector forward/backward to get it close to the right location for your screen size, then adjust zoom/focus as appropriate. They DO have information on this on page 14 of the manual it looks like. So, for a 100" diagonal the lens to screen distance should be about 3.5m (about 11'6")

Projectors should always be square to the wall with the lens centered left/right on screen. The height of the projector, in relation to the screen typically has the projector under the screen by several inches. The manual makes this distance almost completely impossible to tell without doing some math. But, just turn on the projector, and with it flat, measure things out at the proper screen size.

Really though, read through the manual, then ask whatever questions you may have.
fekish likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Great thank you.

I have read now in detail the manual and understood a lot of things.

but i am a bit dissapointed with the fact that tehre is not a good zoom capability, since it would have made my life easy. But since this is a starting point for me, i should be very upset.

For 3D, would it be ok to get simple cheap glasses? Or should i select battery operated glasses?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hello again,

Would someone be able to help please on another matter?
- the projector has mini usb, but when i connect usb, nothing appearsbon the screen. Not even that source comes up. I dont understand to be honest what is the point of a usb..

- this is supposed to be 3d... but how would the active glasses be recognised? When i press the button on the glasses, nothing changes...

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4
Old 06-20-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I would call Acer on this. Mostly because their website sucks, their manual sucks, and their informational pages suck. They owe you, their customer, decent information about the projector you purchased and frankly, they blow. There is no way I would have recommended this to you based on the complete lack of information they are providing about this model.

Most likely your need DLP Link glasses (about $30/pair).

You will need to provide 3D content to the projector. You can find info about supported formats in the manual and you may need to turn 3D 'ON' within the projector menus.

Page 37 of the manual discusses this. But, it looks like 3D Blu-ray Discs from a BD player are allowed.

As for USB - Search the manual and you will see it is not discussed.

It is barely shown, but not discussed.

This mini-USB connection is for PowerPoint control in a PC as far as I can tell. You plug in your PC to the projector, then the projector's remote control will let you go page forward and page backward in a PowerPoint presentation.

It's not for media playback, and most projectors don't support any media playback via USB. Hook your USB drive up to your laptop, and hook your laptop up to the projector.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks, i will do. So basically my computer doesnt support 3D unfortunately. I hhooked the pc through hdmi, downloaded a 3d movie and used Samsung TV 3D glasses, was pressing the button on the glassrs but nothing was changing on the screen... i dont think i will ever see 3d on it...

Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekish View Post
Ok thanks, i will do. So basically my computer doesnt support 3D unfortunately. I hhooked the pc through hdmi, downloaded a 3d movie and used Samsung TV 3D glasses, was pressing the button on the glassrs but nothing was changing on the screen... i dont think i will ever see 3d on it...

Samsung glasses are different than what you need.

You really need to do more research on things and ask questions.

1. Your PC may, or may not, support 3D output properly as you have it right now. Do you have software which plays back 3D files? Did the image on screen look 'blurry'? If not, then you aren't feeding the projector 3D.

2. You must use DLP Link glasses with your projector. Of all the things that I don't know, the one thing I do know is that Samsung glasses won't work with your projector.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thank you.

The image was split in half, and the projector had the option to show it as one image and then a bit blurry. But as you said due to wrong glasses there wasnt a change in the image.
Although it want to much blurry, but rather with more noise and a bit blurry..

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure (at all) how that projector fully handles 3D. It may even need an external emitter/sync device of some sort. That's why you need (must) contact the manufacturer and find out the details on this.

I just used DLP Link with my projector yesterday for the first time.

The blurry image is good. That's what 3D should look like. It's actually not a blurry image. It just looks that way to your eyes. With DLP Link the image should appear noticeably red. Like - RED. That's an additional flash of information on screen. So, you have an image for the left eye on screen, an 'sync' image of red, a image for the right eye on screen, and another 'sync' image on screen. The glasses handle everything, almost entirely automatically. They block the red 'sync' frame, and pass the left eye information to my left eye, and the right eye information to my right eye.

But, when it's blurry on screen, it's for any number of reasons. But, in a nutshell, it's because the glasses aren't properly syncing up to the projector.

Should be noted, my projector also immediately indicated that it was receiving a 3D signal, and what type of 3D signal I was sending it. Made me happy to see that it was so responsive.