Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-13-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector for Rented House

Guys,
First time posting here and I am real excited about dipping my toe into the word of home theaters. My current set up consists of the following.

58 inch Panasonic LCD
Marantz 1603 Receiver
Sony Bluray
XBox 360 and Wii U
KEF KHT 1005 Series Satellite speaker system

We are moving to a rented house with a basement and I have the opportunity to add a projector and enjoy a more theater like environment. Since we are renting though, I cannot customize the space as I would otherwise. Going into walls is a no go and am pretty much limited to what I can change back easily and quickly. The attached picture is a rough diagram of what I am thinking.

I am leaning towards removing the ceiling fan and using its mount to mount a BenQ W1500. Power is not a problem as I can tie it in to the ceiling fan power and hardwire at the switch. The W1500 gives me a wide throw range, good for 100 inch diagonal at 8ft from screen and a larger screen later. Also the Wireless HDMI solves the cabling issue. Not interested in 3D just some movies and light gaming so I do not think I will be over stressing the wireless connection. Eventually I will get some floor standing speakers but the Kef will have to do for now, plus they sound great anyway.

I am tempted by the BenQ 1070 and in any other application it would probably be the better choice. With the restrictions I have to live under, it is either a 80inch screen at 8ft throw or a huge dim screen at 16ft behind the sofa, plus I loose the ability to use the Wii and the Kinnect if projector is behind the sofa.

Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance and I will update with pictures for others in the budget/restricted model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 8.00.15 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	114729  

Clay Wilson

Last edited by crwilsn; 06-18-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-13-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 172
The w1070 would give about 96" from 8ft of throw, so it may be closer. The wireless HDMI feature of the 1500 might have way too much lag to comfortably game with, in addition the 1500 (wired) has a longer input-lag time than the 1070 to begin with, I believe. Depending on the kinds of games you play it could matter next to nothing with RPGs, or completely frustrate you for shooters or platformers.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-14-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Wireless HDMI is a solution to a worse case scenario, not one to be used lightly, and certainly is abysmal for gaming. There are many that use it without issue, but I've read several complaints about people using it and having issues. So, be aware that spending more for wireless HDMI may not give you any satisfaction in the setup.

I would measure several times on your distances to be sure what your lens to screen distance is.

As already point out, the W1070 is very close in size, and a good deal less expensive. You can always buy after-market HDMI wireless transmitters to try them out if you want.

I'm just not sure on this at all. I might go really short throw with the W1080ST, but the fact that you can't properly mount the projector is a real hassle. I understand there are times when renting that people don't want you ceiling mounting, but wall mounting is still not to allow, and if you actually are willing to patch and paint the ceiling then really - who cares? I mean, seriously, put something in writing to your landlord to make it official, and perhaps give them money that is specifically earmarked to that specific repair when you leave. I know when I rented in an apartment, they said flat out that painting and patching was a normal part of the move out process and I could mount my TV to the wall and projector to the ceiling and it would be taken care of.

But, as long as it IS taken care of... then who cares?

Of course, stucco/textured ceilings can't really be repaired easily.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-14-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is that a wall behind the couch or something else?
At my previous rental I installed a white box shelf (i.e. 4 walls) on the wall behind my couch and then ran hdmi to around the room to the from of it, where everything else (receiver, PS3, apple tv, etc...) was. I used cable white "concealers" and it looked the setup looked great. At the time I researched wireless solutions, but as folks are saying they don't really seem to be their yet.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Projector for Rented House

Unfortunately I am getting the feeling our landlord is extremely uncomfortable with any changes, I think even taking down the fan could lead to issues but I can live with that risk. I am willing to do anything that can be undone in an afternoon so no drywall work or patching. It's either wireless at the 8ft point or on a shelf at the back of the room. The wall on my picture behind the sofa is a 1/4 height divider. I can put a bookshelf on top of it and the projector on top but with two young kids, I am asking for it to be knocked over.

The mount is the least of my concerns. I will be using the ceiling fan mount as a base. Looks like a ceiling fan drop pole with a ball at the end will screw directly into a 3/4 pipe flange. That gets me to a flat piece of metal or wood with holes at the projector mounts. Cut an old power cord and hardwire and I should have a stable secure mount that can be returned to fan duty in a few minutes. Video to the projector is the issue I am worried about.

I agree I would prefer to have a separate wireless hdmi as the cost is about $200 vice an extra 600 for the w1500. Also the 1080 would give a great huge screen at that range. The 1070 may be acceptable and that is something I need to play with. I am worried though that the 1070 is too long a throw for the current application and the 1080 is too short for any future application. Does anyone know of a projector that gives a similar wide throw range like the w1500?

We don't move in for another two weeks and I am not going to buy anything until I get some better measurements than I have now.

One last thing though, I feel like I need a projector to reference screen size to make sure I get this right. Has anyone ever bought one of the silly cheap Chinese projectors on ebay. For $75 I know they suck but if it lets me project a basic image on the wall, I can get size ideas right. It could then spend the rest of its short days for ghosts on windows at Halloween and outdoor movies for the kids.

Alternatively, if anyone in the northern Virginia region would let me borrow an extra projector for a couple of days it would be appreciated.

Clay Wilson

Last edited by crwilsn; 06-14-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I believe Best Buy has an excellent return policy... May be worth buying from there, figuring your screen size, then returning it. Or, if you work at an office, see if they have one you can borrow overnight, or see if a friend has one you can borrow. They are getting to be more and more common.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilsn View Post
Unfortunately I am getting the feeling our landlord is extremely uncomfortable with any changes, I think even taking down the fan could lead to issues but I can live with that risk. I am willing to do anything that can be undone in an afternoon so no drywall work or patching. It's either wireless at the 8ft point or on a shelf at the back of the room. The wall on my picture behind the sofa is a 1/4 height divider. I can put a bookshelf on top of it and the projector on top but with two young kids, I am asking for it to be knocked over.

The mount is the least of my concerns. I will be using the ceiling fan mount as a base. Looks like a ceiling fan drop pole with a ball at the end will screw directly into a 3/4 pipe flange. That gets me to a flat piece of metal or wood with holes at the projector mounts. Cut an old power cord and hardwire and I should have a stable secure mount that can be returned to fan duty in a few minutes. Video to the projector is the issue I am worried about.

I agree I would prefer to have a separate wireless hdmi as the cost is about $200 vice an extra 600 for the w1500. Also the 1080 would give a great huge screen at that range. The 1070 may be acceptable and that is something I need to play with. I am worried though that the 1070 is too long a throw for the current application and the 1080 is too short for any future application. Does anyone know of a projector that gives a similar wide throw range like the w1500?

We don't move in for another two weeks and I am not going to buy anything until I get some better measurements than I have now.

One last thing though, I feel like I need a projector to reference screen size to make sure I get this right. Has anyone ever bought one of the silly cheap Chinese projectors on ebay. For $75 I know they suck but if it lets me project a basic image on the wall, I can get size ideas right. It could then spend the rest of its short days for ghosts on windows at Halloween and outdoor movies for the kids.

Alternatively, if anyone in the northern Virginia region would let me borrow an extra projector for a couple of days it would be appreciated.
Go to bestbuy.com, select a preferred store location nearby and check open box and clearance items. Choose shop this store Then click the button to check all stores in your area. Narrow your search to TV & Home theater, then projectors & screen and you can choose from the open box projectors in your area.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-15-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 172
The BB return policy is great, but I'd avoid purchasing used from them (if you're planning on keeping it) because I've personally seen them sell a malfunctioning JVC without any warning that it had anything wrong with it. I'm guessing they're under NO obligation to tell customers if a used item is working properly or not.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-15-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

I may do the buy and return routine. Not ideal as it takes advantage of them, but if they are going to have the policy... I would feel better if they had one of the projectors I was looking at and if it didn't work out it would not feel bad in the slightest returning. At least then, there is a possibility I would keep it. I think they stock the epson 3020 at some Magnolias so perhaps I can expand my search to those to try out.

I have been looking more at the benq 1080st. I want the kids to be able to play xbox kinect and wii so no matter the room, a long throw may be out anyway. The 1080 solves all the short throw issues and, with an add on wireless module, comes in at a good price as well. I need to do a bit more measuring and some trials before I finally decide.

Clay Wilson

Last edited by crwilsn; 06-16-2014 at 02:30 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-18-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

So I played for a while on Projector Central and came to the realization that I think I will need a short throw projector to do what I want. I have played with some diagrams to show the sizes on the wall.

I can just manage a 97 inch screen at 8ft with the BenQ W1070. Since the lens is a little closer than the mount that size may even go down slightly. This looks a bit small and does not seem a worty upgrade to my 58" LCD (no cost and easy to put on a AV stand). One definite advantage to this though is I can paint on the screen rather than have to build one to overlap into the wainscoting.

The W1080 seems the obvious choice to get a bigger screen but it ends up being much bigger. A little too big in fact.

So figuring this I think 120" diagonal is the sweet spot. Unfortunately no 1080p projector will hit this size at this throw range. The BenQ MX620ST or the W770ST will though.

The MX620ST gets great reviews for gaming and is the cheapest option between all of them. Most of our movies are DVD anyway and streaming is faster and still looks good at 720P. And its got a longer bulb life to boot.

Am I wrong to think that I am crazy for not buying a 1080P projector? This 720p hits all the marks and is cheaper but... bigger is better right?

Clay Wilson

Last edited by crwilsn; 06-18-2014 at 09:32 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just went from a 720 to 1080 PJ on a 97-inch screen. On the 720 I could see the pixels about 7-8 feet away. With the 1080 it was about 4-5 feet. A larger screen will make pixels and artifacts more noticeable. Your other components seem current enough. Would be a shame to limit the PJ from the start.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #12 of 12 Old 06-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 2 cents. I've been using a 720p projector for over 2 1/2 years now. I sit relatively close to the screen and the pixels aren't really noticable especially if you defocus it slightly. I have it sharply focused lately and still it doesn't bother me. Further I can throw 135 inch from 6 feet away. I would just get a cheaper projector for now, you can get something for 6-800 and then you can do it however you want later. You can just put it on a stand or whatever in front of the couch and be done with it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - W1500. by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page