Small room, big ambitions (BENQ W1070, BENQ W1080ST, Optoma HD25e, Powerlite 2030?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-15-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Small room, big ambitions (BENQ W1070, BENQ W1080ST, Optoma HD25e, Powerlite 2030?)

Hello,

First post here on the forums. Really looking for advice for which projector I should be going for in my situation.

Just moved into a new house, and the basement would be perfect for a home theatre (only one small window to cover up) except it is on the smaller side. We have a large closet that spans one side of the room with these big sliding glass doors. I was planning on taking out these sliding glass doors and mounting an 85" (diagonal) screen inside the closet, than having the projector situated across the room. The distance from the inside of the closet to the other end of the room is about 11 feet, and the closet entrance is about 75 inches wide. The four projectors that suit my needs and budget are the BENQ W1070, BENQ W1080ST, Optoma HD25e, and the Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030. I would be planning to use the projector for movies, games, and to have friends over for NFL Sundays. Having never seen any of the these projectors in action, and only being able to base my opinion on online reviews, I have come to you guys for help in solving this dilemna.

The other option is to not put the screen inside the closet, and instead place it just outside the entrance to it. This would allow me to throw a bigger screen, but within a smaller throw range (about 10.2 feet). Both the Benq W1070 and the Benq W1080ST could theoretically throw a 105" screen in that space without much issue. Only thing is, we would only be seated about 10 feet away from a screen that size, and I don't see that working to well after running it through the Projector central calculator. In this case the largest screen I might throw in this situation would be a 96" screen.

Keeping all of this in mind, what would be your best advice for this situation? Your help is greatly appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to help out a noob who hopes to one day have a kick ass dedicated home theatre.

Have a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateserade View Post
Hello,

First post here on the forums. Really looking for advice for which projector I should be going for in my situation.

Just moved into a new house, and the basement would be perfect for a home theatre (only one small window to cover up) except it is on the smaller side. We have a large closet that spans one side of the room with these big sliding glass doors. I was planning on taking out these sliding glass doors and mounting an 85" (diagonal) screen inside the closet, than having the projector situated across the room. The distance from the inside of the closet to the other end of the room is about 11 feet, and the closet entrance is about 75 inches wide. The four projectors that suit my needs and budget are the BENQ W1070, BENQ W1080ST, Optoma HD25e, and the Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 2030. I would be planning to use the projector for movies, games, and to have friends over for NFL Sundays. Having never seen any of the these projectors in action, and only being able to base my opinion on online reviews, I have come to you guys for help in solving this dilemna.

The other option is to not put the screen inside the closet, and instead place it just outside the entrance to it. This would allow me to throw a bigger screen, but within a smaller throw range (about 10.2 feet). Both the Benq W1070 and the Benq W1080ST could theoretically throw a 105" screen in that space without much issue. Only thing is, we would only be seated about 10 feet away from a screen that size, and I don't see that working to well after running it through the Projector central calculator. In this case the largest screen I might throw in this situation would be a 96" screen.

Keeping all of this in mind, what would be your best advice for this situation? Your help is greatly appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to help out a noob who hopes to one day have a kick ass dedicated home theatre.

Have a good one.
I've got the w1070 9' away from a 100" screen at a viewing distance of 9'. This is my personal preference, if not a little bigger! I find myself leaning forward or setting up a beanbag chair in front of my couch whenever I watch 3d as it's just so much more immersive so that's probably more like 7' or 8'. In fact, I find I'm pulling the beanbag chair out for gaming on ps3 and 360 as well. Haven't even watched any normal blurays or anything yet lol! If you go with the w1070/1080 (or probably any of them) I would definitely recommend going for 100"-105" just because I actually find it's hard to get the brightness low enough even on the 100"- and it's perfect size for 3d brightness...plenty at this size!

I actually switched from the epson 8350 mainly because I wanted 3D, but also because I much prefer gaming on a dlp like the w1070. The response times are fast for both, but the motion resolution just seems much better on dlp. I didn't play a lot of games that I'm now playing on the w1070 because I couldn't get over that when I turned or the camera panned, I could not see or make out enemies or objects because they blurred so much- which is one of the few flaws of most lcd in my opinion.

I would be very unhappy with an 85" screen, especially sitting nearly 11' away. The only reasons I chose the w1070 over the w1080 were cost and the less finicky nature of a normal(ish) throw lens. Otherwise, I liked the idea of short throw, and not having to worry about heads getting in the way- but so far I find it a non-issue with the w1070.

Hope I helped
Ftoast likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, this helped heaps. Ya I guess moving to outside the closet where I can get a bigger screen would be the more awesome idea. I could then use the closet shelving to store all the other electronic gear behind the screen. OO I am pumped to try this out! Looks like one of the BENQs is going to be the clear winner. Now time to find a good motorized screen. Any suggestions for one? Which do you use for your setup?
post #4 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have a few suggestions with two options. Number one if you own the home then I would remove the closet entirely and mount a fixed frame screen of about 110" for maximum room for a full screen effect. Option two if for some reason removing the closet is not an option I would go with putting an acoustically transparent fixed frame screen with LRC speakers behind it, maybe some black curtains on the sides to cover any open part of the closet. Avoid a pull down screen if possible, and if not possible it needs to be tab tensioned and will cost more than the projector. The 1070 is a good choice.
grubadub likes this.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #5 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
One other thing to look at (and you already have) is the offset for each model. How high is the ceiling? Is there any constraints for screen placement? The Optoma needs to be 7-8 inches above the top of the screen. The Benq's even to about 4-5 inches above the top of the screen. I believe the Epson has to be placed somewhere below the top of the screen (if ceiling mounting) or above the bottom of the screen (if setting on table). I will be installing the W1070 this weekend but it will be very low in my room until I build a larger screen, allowing me to move it up. Hoping the kids don't play pinata with it in the mean time.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #6 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 AM

You would definitely be wanting for a bigger screen if you stuck one in the closet. I first built a fixed frame screen for like $30 at 106" or so- just some wood, black velvety material and blackout cloth at a fabric store, and some staples and nails. I put hooks on it and attached the hooks onto a long closet rod so I could slide it back and forth for access to my closet which it partially blocked.

I later got an elite electric 100" from Amazon for $170ish thinking it would be more convenient and an upgrade in picture. It was convenient, no perceivable difference in picture, and the edges curl in a bit which is inherent of all cheap motorized or pulldown screens without tension. I'm DIYing a fix with magnets/clips but it's not that big a deal as you only notice it a little here and there. I would suggest a fixed frame if you can do that, they are nicer overall.
The gf doesn't want me putting the fixed frame back up since we moved the pj to the living room and it can be mostly hidden when wanted, but I can live with it lol.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Speaking of the W1070, Just two quick questions. I have read that the rainbow effect can be present, and annoying for some. Have any of you experienced the rainbow effect using the W1070? If so, how bad was it?

And two, with the optical zoom on the W1070, though it is not large, it would provide with with some extra flexbility for projector and screen placement. Have any of you used the optical zoom on the W1070, and if so did it effect picture quality at all?

It also seems like I would be placing the screen outside the closet. Go big or go home.

Thanks again for all your help everyone, every little bit counts
post #8 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have an antra 135 inch motorized screen. They are cheap and it works fine for me for 2.5 years now. If I were you I would not go smaller. 3d is much better the bigger the screen.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
I have an antra 135 inch motorized screen. They are cheap and it works fine for me for 2.5 years now. If I were you I would not go smaller. 3d is much better the bigger the screen.
Do you notice any rainbow like effects when watching action scenes or playing games with the BENQ W1070?
post #10 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Rainbow effect was pretty apparent with my first projector- a Mitsubishi HD1000u, but they didn't bother me much. Went to the 8350 LCD with no rainbows. Also the blacks were better, but the colors weren't as vivid to me and the increased motion blur bothered me on games. So I went back to DLP with the w1070 knowing that I am sensitive to rainbow, but also I just prefer the DLP look overall.

The rainbows I see on the w1070 are probably halved or less than when I had the HD1000u. Most of the time I can't see them even if I try (darting your eyes back and forth quickly across the screen). Only once in a while when very bright spots are mixed with dark do I notice them, and they are not a bother at all. None of the ten or so other people that have watched it have mentioned anything about it- only about how good the color is or how sharp it is. Of course when you tell some people about it, they may say "ohhhh, that's what that is!" But that just goes to show it doesn't bother a lot of people IF they can even see it.

BenQ W1070 (Previously HD1000u and Epson 8350)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Sony STRDH550 Receiver
Polk Blackstone T1900 5.1
PS3/360/Phillips BDP2185
post #11 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
Rainbow effect was pretty apparent with my first projector- a Mitsubishi HD1000u, but they didn't bother me much. Went to the 8350 LCD with no rainbows. Also the blacks were better, but the colors weren't as vivid to me and the increased motion blur bothered me on games. So I went back to DLP with the w1070 knowing that I am sensitive to rainbow, but also I just prefer the DLP look overall.

The rainbows I see on the w1070 are probably halved or less than when I had the HD1000u. Most of the time I can't see them even if I try (darting your eyes back and forth quickly across the screen). Only once in a while when very bright spots are mixed with dark do I notice them, and they are not a bother at all. None of the ten or so other people that have watched it have mentioned anything about it- only about how good the color is or how sharp it is. Of course when you tell some people about it, they may say "ohhhh, that's what that is!" But that just goes to show it doesn't bother a lot of people IF they can even see it.
Awesome to hear. Thanks for your honesty. I have heard nothing but good things about the W1070 and the W1080ST. They are easy front runners for what I need. I may be able to get a Optoma HD25e for about $200-$300 less then the BENQs, so that is waying in as well. I see it as save some money on the projector and put it towards screen and sound. We shall see how it plays out. Ever used the HD25e?
post #12 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post

Awesome to hear. Thanks for your honesty. I have heard nothing but good things about the W1070 and the W1080ST. They are easy front runners for what I need. I may be able to get a Optoma HD25e for about $200-$300 less then the BENQs, so that is waying in as well. I see it as save some money on the projector and put it towards screen and sound. We shall see how it plays out. Ever used the HD25e?
I haven't tried the HD25e. It was on my list of possible new projectors. I think I was leaning towards one of the Benqs, but what nixed the Optomas were that they had just a little too long of a throw for my setup.
I will give the other side of the w1070 story and that is pretty crappy blacks, but good for the price range. Fan isn't whisper quiet, but not bad at all especially on eco or during any action movies. Uhmmmm....oh, not a lot of placement flexibility...maybe a little staticy look in scenes with sky (I think that's noise?) but I haven't tried adjusting it out in settings either

BenQ W1070 (Previously HD1000u and Epson 8350)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Sony STRDH550 Receiver
Polk Blackstone T1900 5.1
PS3/360/Phillips BDP2185
post #13 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Do you notice any rainbow like effects when watching action scenes or playing games with the BENQ W1070?
I guess my other post didn't go through. Anyway, I don't have this projector, I am thinking of getting it soon, I currently have a 720P optoma projector with much slower color wheel then this and no one has complained of rainbows. I watch it all the time, for TV, for movies on the weekend, my son watches it, my wife watches it, my daughter watches it, no one has ever said anything about rainbows. I have seen them on occasion if I quickly move my head, but never has it been a problem. I'd guess with the faster speed of this DLP, it wouldn't be an issue.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 101
That Optoma 25e will show more rainbows and will have less vivid, less natural colors and usually more static/grain in the image. The Optoma will also have lower calibrated brightness and contrast. The lower contrast means it's slightly lower black-floor will not mean as much, so it's a step backwards in a ton of ways except that it runs quieter.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
That Optoma 25e will show more rainbows and will have less vivid, less natural colors and usually more static/grain in the image. The Optoma will also have lower calibrated brightness and contrast. The lower contrast means it's slightly lower black-floor will not mean as much, so it's a step backwards in a ton of ways except that it runs quieter.
From what I've read The HD25e is close to the BENQ w1070, but the w1070 edges it out by some margins. They both operate with the same chip and a similar colour wheel, so I imagine that they would display rainbows at a similar rate. Have never personally seen either of them in action though, this is just from what I have read. Both of the BENQs suit my set-up needs better than the Optoma due to throw range, but the Optoma can be had for a lower price. All I really need is a low priced BENQ and I am so game haha.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
From what I've read The HD25e is close to the BENQ w1070, but the w1070 edges it out by some margins. They both operate with the same chip and a similar colour wheel, so I imagine that they would display rainbows at a similar rate. Have never personally seen either of them in action though, this is just from what I have read. Both of the BENQs suit my set-up needs better than the Optoma due to throw range, but the Optoma can be had for a lower price. All I really need is a low priced BENQ and I am so game haha.
The HD25e does not use the same color wheel at all from what I understand.

Only the discontinued HD25 from Optoma had a similar color wheel.

The HD25e uses a 2x (60hz) 4x (24hz) color wheel that is 5 segment with a clear section.
The W1070 uses a 4x (60hz) 6x (24hz) color wheel that is 6 segment RGB/RGB

It's pretty well established that the W1070 has better color out of the box and less noise in the image and delivers more color lumens than the HD25e is capable of.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
The HD25e does not use the same color wheel at all from what I understand.

Only the discontinued HD25 from Optoma had a similar color wheel.

The HD25e uses a 2x (60hz) 4x (24hz) color wheel that is 5 segment with a clear section.
The W1070 uses a 4x (60hz) 6x (24hz) color wheel that is 6 segment RGB/RGB

It's pretty well established that the W1070 has better color out of the box and less noise in the image and delivers more color lumens than the HD25e is capable of.
Oh wow, didn't realize that. I thought they were both using a 6 segment colour wheel. Well then hell this sells it for me. W1070 all the way! or the W1080ST, as I might need to utilize short throw in this situation due to an oddly shaped ceiling. Either way it looks like I am going BENQ. Thanks so much for your help guys.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-17-2014, 04:52 PM

that right,Have never personally seen either of them in action though, this is just from what I have read. Both of the BENQs suit my set-up needs better than the Optoma due to throw range, but the Optoma can be had for a lower price.thanks
post #19 of 24 Old 06-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunyangs View Post
that right,Have never personally seen either of them in action though, this is just from what I have read. Both of the BENQs suit my set-up needs better than the Optoma due to throw range, but the Optoma can be had for a lower price.thanks
Optoma can use RF glasses while the Benq can only use DLP and I believe only certain dlp are good with it because of red flash.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Optoma can use RF glasses while the Benq can only use DLP and I believe only certain dlp are good with it because of red flash.
That Optoma loses a lot of picture quality (color accuracy, static/noise, brightness, contrast, RBE) in exchange for the ability to use another synchronization technology with 3D (which you'll have to pay extra for).
The red flash (any DLP-link flash) shouldn't really be seen when wearing the glasses, but as far as tints go, red is the easiest to fix on a lamp-based projector because red is the weakest lamp-native color and the w1070 allows separate settings for 3D if you end up with a pair of slightly malfunctioning glasses.
That all said, my $12 G-15 glasses didn't let tint through..so they're a very affordable option.
post #21 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

I use rf and dlp and the rf is definitely better if it's available.

Quote:
That Optoma loses a lot of picture quality (color accuracy, static/noise, brightness, contrast, RBE) in exchange for the ability to use another synchronization technology with 3D (which you'll have to pay extra for).
The red flash (any DLP-link flash) shouldn't really be seen when wearing the glasses, but as far as tints go, red is the easiest to fix on a lamp-based projector because red is the weakest lamp-native color and the w1070 allows separate settings for 3D if you end up with a pair of slightly malfunctioning glasses.
That all said, my $12 G-15 glasses didn't let tint through..so they're a very affordable option.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use rf and dlp and the rf is definitely better if it's available.
Does the Optoma have the ability to use DLP-link at full 144Hz speed or does the non-RGB colorwheel limit the 3D refresh?
post #23 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does the Optoma have the ability to use DLP-link at full 144Hz speed or does the non-RGB colorwheel limit the 3D refresh?
No it doesn't use the full 144hz speed. Both DLP and RF work fine, the RF just has better colors and doesn't lose sync. My sons DLP's don't lose sync so obviously it depends on the glasses, but for me RF is a better option if its available.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Talking

Quote:
No it doesn't use the full 144hz speed. Both DLP and RF work fine, the RF just has better colors and doesn't lose sync. My sons DLP's don't lose sync so obviously it depends on the glasses, but for me RF is a better option if its available.
I haven't had any trouble with the $12 g15's losing synch (even in the daytime with way too much light on the screen) until I turn fully away from the screen/wall for a few seconds, but they re-synch in 1-2 seconds once I turn back around.
I imagine rf glasses don't ever lose synch and are probably able to be 50% brighter depending on settings. I wish I could've tried some while I had the 131xe/hd25e.
The w1070 3D looked alright to me, but for some reason the pa75u (same glasses, same DLP-link) looks much smoother even though I always make sure motion-flow/soap-opera is OFF. I'm guessing the w1070 doesn't use the full speed either while the LED LG does.

Hey, how about the LG; great 3D, no bulbs, less rainbows..and probably a total headache to ceiling-mount because it has no zoom.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w1070, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page