very quiet or silent projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
very quiet or silent projector

Let me start by saying I'm a noise freak. I have a fanless laptop (2005 built Dell latitude X1), fanless self-built workstation and till recently I used an absorption fridge.

I'll generally sacrifice a lot of my convenience or features to have silence.

Is it currently possible to have a near-silent projector? Let's say aceptable resolution is 640x480. It can be B&W if it changes anything. It's gonna be used only at nights on a ~120cm screen.

All possible tricks are of interests to me - examples which come to mind are changing the standard bulb, undervolting, changing case into a bigger one, removing the chassis and putting bags with ice around it...

Some (very little) noise is acceptable but only if it has a pleasant frequency - example would be the noise which newer airbooks produce.

Thanks for all the ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
depends on your budget, all cheap projectors sound like they're about to take off.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 139
120cm could be replaced by a silent 47" TV. Why are you looking at projection at such a small size? I'm not knocking it, but I don't understand the advantage..especially at a size where a television is still somewhat portable (which is the only reason I could imagine going with a small-screen projector).

I've heard said that the Sony projectors are near silent. They start around $2100-2500, but having an image at 120cm is going to be VERY bright.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
120cm could be replaced by a silent 47" TV. Why are you looking at projection at such a small size?
I said 120cm mainly to stress I don't need a lot of lumens. If I could comfortably use it at 200cm - that would be even better.

But actually even at 120cm I'd go for it, as I find projector image much less straining the eyes than TV, and this is my main reason to switch to a projector.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Projectors aren't silent things. They have lamps which run at hundreds of degrees, so they need fans. Cheap projectors, much like cheap computers, use cheap fans - which are noisy.

The Sony 40ES projector is considered nearly silent in low power mode.

Also keep in mind, projectors aren't made for small screens, it's the exact opposite of what the front projection market is about. So, there aren't a lot of people going - "Hey, I don't want this dead silent 50 inch 1080p television for $800, let me go get a projector instead and project 50-inches!" - No, the allure of front projection is the large size, so that's what the market caters to.

Here is a list of projectors on the market with less than 22dB...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...=&sort=n&sz=15

This isn't 1080p models specifically or anything else. Just a list of models under $3,500 which are as quiet as possible. The Sony 40ES is the one to go with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

On the positive side, the 40es isn't really compromising anything..it puts out a fantastic image with a good range of brightness, low lag, and solid 3D..it just also happens to be very quiet.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That's why I asked him what his budget was to suggest the 40ES, but from the low resolution he's seeking, I just thought his budget would be "low" as well.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Not that projection isn't fine as well, but out of curiosity, would you be able to describe what bothers you for televisions? Is the strain something tangible or it somewhat of an annoying mystery?

If it were possible to make standard TV's less irritating, would that be of interest? I ask because I've often found (as I'm sure others have as well) that a simply calibrated TV will look a lot more subtle, less jarring and even smoother and less pixelated. When I say simple, I mean you don't need tools or money, just the remote and 5-10minutes.

It won't replace a projector, but if you've already got a TV you might as well enjoy it too.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

> Is the strain something tangible or it somewhat of an annoying mystery?

If I watch movie late at night on tv I have problems getting to sleep immediately. I have nothing like that after watching a movie on a projector.

(this is in my case similar to reading on an ereader/tablet.)

Generally, I spend considerable amount of time calibrating my computer monitor and my tv (depending on the ambient light), so I don't think there's much room for improvement here.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

I've just found one fanless pico projector on the internet: Optoma PK-120.

So now that we know it's possible to have a noiseless projector, the question is are there any better ones than the above?

Judging from youtube videos, the image quality is okayish, but (duh...) a bit on the dark side ;-)

btw, I've impression that AVS is not really the best forum for this sort of topic - if anyone could point me to other places on the internet worth asking that would be great. thanks!

edit: I went through Optoma's discontinued products specs sheets, and I found something which seems exactly what I'm looking for - PKA31, a 50 lumen noiseless projector. The only problem - it's gone. There's hardly any information about it any more and nothing on ebay...

There are also PK201 and PKA21 which seem a notch better than PK120 but worse than PKA31 specs-wise. I'm afraid it might be the sort of situation as with fanless laptops - they appeared in 2005-2007, and afterwards it was extremely difficult to get one (I mean laptop not netbook) until end of 2013..

Last edited by chooback; 06-17-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: new information found
post #11 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes true. This forum is for people looking for quality projections. I don't think 640x480, even B&W, can be considered as quality. It sounds like asking audiophiles for a loud but high distortion boom box in the trunck of your car. Also, most people don't consider Pico as serious projecter solution as well.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

@hotjt133 funny you mention audiophiles - all the supposedly high quality projectors you discuss here are not acceptable for an audiophile who'd like to watch, say,
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Opus%2BArte/OA1006D
Fanless pico projector would be acceptable :-)

But I got your point, I'll have a look at this thread for a day or two more in hope someone points me to something, and then move elsewhere
post #13 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I don't get your point. Nobody is depending on the any of these projectors for audio. An audiophile would have a proper speaker system connected to any display, be it projector, tv or computer monitor.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

It's definitely not a topic of this thread... I meant that having say 25db of noise in the room is not acceptable in an audiophile system, so if an audiophile wanted to watch a concert dvd and have a good quality audio at the same time, this would be impossible with a vanilla projector.

But how about we just leave it, since it's off-topic :-).
post #15 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Ok I get you. The OCD tendencies of this forum are amusing.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
maybe look at the LED projectors?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
diy , silent projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version