Benq W1070 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Benq W1070 - hdmi arc

Hello, I would like to ask if Benq W1070 supports Audio Return Channel (HDMI ARC) because I found nothing in specs or somewhere else on web.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Benq W1070

It doesn't...
Being primarily video-only devices, projectors rarely offer this. Many don't even process audio at all (though the W1070 does have a stereo output and a mono speaker.)

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #3 of 12 Old 06-21-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
It doesn't...
Being primarily video-only devices, projectors rarely offer this. Many don't even process audio at all (though the W1070 does have a stereo output and a mono speaker.)
so only way is another optical/coaxial cable to receiver besides hdmi yes?
(if i want surround)
post #4 of 12 Old 06-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desann View Post
(if i want surround)

Yup!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-21-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
(if i want surround)
I'm confused...

If your receiver has HDMI inputs, then all your sources should plug into your A/V receiver using HDMI. This is standard practice as HDMI-ARC doesn't support lossless audio formats. If you want the best audio, take HDMI from the source to the receiver, then the receiver will pass on video to the projector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I'm confused...

If your receiver has HDMI inputs, then all your sources should plug into your A/V receiver using HDMI. This is standard practice as HDMI-ARC doesn't support lossless audio formats. If you want the best audio, take HDMI from the source to the receiver, then the receiver will pass on video to the projector.
There're some use-cases for ARC. My thinking was that perhaps the projector has an analog input (component for example?) that the receiver doesn't and the OP wants to have audio passed through to the speakers via ARC - if possible, that would've required no extra cabling. (It's the only reason that comes to mind for deliberately excluding HDMI as an option).

@desann : any explicit reason for wishing to avoid HDMI?

post #7 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
There're some use-cases for ARC. My thinking was that perhaps the projector has an analog input (component for example?) that the receiver doesn't and the OP wants to have audio passed through to the speakers via ARC - if possible, that would've required no extra cabling. (It's the only reason that comes to mind for deliberately excluding HDMI as an option).

@desann : any explicit reason for wishing to avoid HDMI?
No TV I'm aware of will pass audio back out when using a non-HDMI input for the audio. That is, using toslink in doesn't allow for ARC. Neither does analog audio inputs, from what I've read (I could be wrong).

There are tons of reasons to use ARC with a TV when remote locating equipment, but not as much with projectors. That's pretty much the main reason projectors don't use ARC. They typically only have 2 HDMI inputs, and typically are fed video from the receiver.

I'm almost a big fan of ARC. But, the failure to include ARC with HDBaseT was a huge failure, and the typical need for HDMI-CEC to be used with ARC is as well.

I would love my receiver to just have a 'ARC' input on it for audio, and then I could plug game consoles in locally to my televisions and get the audio out through the good connections. Ah well, I have other solutions that just cost more (and more and more and more).

Hopefully this user gets what he needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There are certainly use cases for ARC, and I'm missing it huge time. I always wanted a projector with integrated TV tuner to serve the TV purpose. Most manufactureres don't want to do it, so now my own solution is to stack the main board of a topfield tuner on top of the projector, get power from the 12V trigger out socket, and feed output into its second HDMI port. No extra cables outside the projector space except the antenna cable. You won't see this board when you stand in the room so it can pretend to be an "integrated" TV tuner.

So here I want the ARC badly. I even tried a FM transmitter but the sound quality is terrible. Is there any better (but cheap) wireless solutions?
post #9 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 69
There is already a thread on the Benq 1070. This one should be removed.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
think so, Most manufactureres don't want to do it, so now my own solution is to stack the main board of a topfield tuner on top of the projector, get power from the 12V trigger out socket, and feed output into its second HDMI port. No extra cables outside the projector space except the antenna cable. [IMG]http://*******/xGWw1O[/IMG]You won't see this board when you stand in the room so it can pretend to be an "integrated" TV tuner.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-05-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I think I probably didnt understand ARC right.

So simple question. Will this work?
Red lines are standard hdmi 1.4 cable, blue- speakers, but not important....
I expect if it works, It works at 100%, no problems with 3D, fullHD or something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schema.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	149538  
post #12 of 12 Old 07-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think I probably didnt understand ARC right.

So simple question. Will this work?
Red lines are standard hdmi 1.4 cable, blue- speakers, but not important....

Yes, that'll work - that's how audio is meant to be wired

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page