Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BenQ w1070 Mounting Question

Hi All,

First timer here. I bought a BenQ w1070 and a 125" screen. My wall is 9' high, and we want the screen 1' off the floor, which lead me to the screenshot below. We don't want to mount the projector 2' 8" from the ceiling, as that will be really low. Does the "lens shift coverage" of 3' 1" mean that I could go up or down 3' 1" from the recommended 2' 8" position due to the shift feature? In other words, can I mount the pj flush to the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From what I understand, the lensshift only goes up, so with it upside down, it would only go down like you see in the picture, the orange arrows are the range of shift.

Why would you want it 1 foot off the ground? If you put your feet up, you'll be blocking the screen. I believe with a mount, the flushest you will get it is 6-8 inches off the ceiling so you could plug that into the calculator .
post #3 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
The BenQ site is wrong.

The W1070 must be about 2-3" above the top of the screen when ceiling mounted. MUST. If you don't like it, buy the Sony 40ES which can be about 12" above the top of the screen, or one of the Optoma models which can be a bit higher as well.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
From what I understand, the lensshift only goes up, so with it upside down, it would only go down like you see in the picture, the orange arrows are the range of shift.

Why would you want it 1 foot off the ground? If you put your feet up, you'll be blocking the screen. I believe with a mount, the flushest you will get it is 6-8 inches off the ceiling so you could plug that into the calculator .
Thanks for your reply.

My wife want's it 1 foot off the ground as she feels that puts the center of the picture in the line of site, but I think I can convince her otherwise.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
The BenQ site is wrong.

The W1070 must be about 2-3" above the top of the screen when ceiling mounted. MUST. If you don't like it, buy the Sony 40ES which can be about 12" above the top of the screen, or one of the Optoma models which can be a bit higher as well.
Awesome, thank you. How is this measured? From the bottom of the projector to the top of the screen? The top of the projector? I also assume the "top of the screen" means the top of the viewing area of the screen, correct?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganJ View Post
Awesome, thank you. How is this measured? From the bottom of the projector to the top of the screen? The top of the projector? I also assume the "top of the screen" means the top of the viewing area of the screen, correct?
All measurements are from center of lens. This is a standard when talking measurements.

I'm not sure what other part of the 'top of the screen' there could be.

I mean, if the frame of a screen could be 1" or 4" or 10", then that's a totally useless thing to measure to. So, yes, top of the projected image on the screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
All measurements are from center of lens. This is a standard when talking measurements.

I'm not sure what other part of the 'top of the screen' there could be.

I mean, if the frame of a screen could be 1" or 4" or 10", then that's a totally useless thing to measure to. So, yes, top of the projected image on the screen.
Thank you. What makes you say the BenQ site is wrong? Personal experience or multiple posts here?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2014, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The BenQ site is wrong.

How is it wrong? I read the manual and it seems he would be able to shift the image down with the lens shift.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganJ View Post
Thank you. What makes you say the BenQ site is wrong? Personal experience or multiple posts here?
The lens shift on the W1070 is established as being just a few inches. They list it incorrectly on their website. It shows in the lens shift range as 3'1". That's just completely wrong. You get about 3-5 inches or so. This is well established through the reviews, and it came to my attention a while ago that the BenQ website calculator is completely wrong on their lens shift range.

About 2" above the top of the screen to maybe 5" or 6" is possible. That's it with most screens.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page