Help picking the perfect projector epson 5020 or 5030 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help picking the perfect projector epson 5020 or 5030

Having trouble deciding between Epson 5020ub and the 5030ub.
My main priority is having a projector with amazing image quality and decent 3D abilities. I would consider a 2D only projector, but I haven't seen any with as good of image quality as the ones I mentioned above.

Next I want something that will be able to handle games with not much lag. I play will games for about 30% of the projectors use. I play all types of games, call of duty gta5, but I don't usually play COD online. However I play sports games like madden and 2k14 online a lot.
Can the 5020 handle sports games online or even offline without noticeable lag. Can anyone speak on personal experience on this. If it can't how much better is the 5030?

Also I do notice I would only save a little bit of money by buying the 5020 if I got a refurbished one. Because on amazon the 5020 and 5030 new sell for close to the same price. So is buying a refurbished epson really a good option? Can you trust a refurbished projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Burkley View Post
Having trouble deciding between Epson 5020ub and the 5030ub.
My main priority is having a projector with amazing image quality and decent 3D abilities. I would consider a 2D only projector, but I haven't seen any with as good of image quality as the ones I mentioned above.

Next I want something that will be able to handle games with not much lag. I play will games for about 30% of the projectors use. I play all types of games, call of duty gta5, but I don't usually play COD online. However I play sports games like madden and 2k14 online a lot.
Can the 5020 handle sports games online or even offline without noticeable lag. Can anyone speak on personal experience on this. If it can't how much better is the 5030?

Also I do notice I would only save a little bit of money by buying the 5020 if I got a refurbished one. Because on amazon the 5020 and 5030 new sell for close to the same price. So is buying a refurbished epson really a good option? Can you trust a refurbished projector?
Why not the Sony 40ES?

Your buying decision is yours. The 5020 is nice, the 5030 is a bit of an improvement. It's the newer model. Buying used is a gamble, but refurbished with a factory warranty isn't a bad way to go. I certainly wouldn't pay the same for a 5020 as for a brand new 5030.

But, I wouldn't buy a 5030 instead of the Sony 40ES either.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well I had considered the Sony 40ES, but considering how it has significantly less lumens, and contrast ratio I was worried that it would not produce an image as pleasing as the 5020 or 5030.

Plus I haven't found that many reviews on 40ES, I do know it is the best out of the 3 for gaming with the least amount of input lag. But as image quality for movie watching is my main concern I would imagine that the 5030 is the best for me.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The image quality between the epson and the sony will be about equal, the sony should have better colors, the epson will have slightly better blacks with the iris.
For gaming though, the sony is better, the epson has higher lag even with its game mode (fast mode) enabled.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, after doing a little bit more research it looks like the Sony is the overall winner, at least for my needs. Thank you both for your assistance and advice.

How is the 3D for the sony, is it a good idea to get the universal RF adapter for 3D for this projector?
Also would a max white fabric screen with a HDTV 16:9 format be a good screen for this?
post #6 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok, after doing a little bit more research it looks like the Sony is the overall winner, at least for my needs. Thank you both for your assistance and advice.

How is the 3D for the sony, is it a good idea to get the universal RF adapter for 3D for this projector?
Also would a max white fabric screen with a HDTV 16:9 format be a good screen for this?
3D is awesome. I actually was more concerned about 2d before I bought. I bought several pairs of ps3 3d glasses and Pacific Rim just to try out the 3d. Looks like i"ll be buying 3d movies from now on. The family loves the 3d. The ps3 glasses are fine, cheap and work anywhere in the room. Great projector and the depth and contrast of 3d now makes 2d pretty boring.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers1517 View Post
3D is awesome. I actually was more concerned about 2d before I bought. I bought several pairs of ps3 3d glasses and Pacific Rim just to try out the 3d. Looks like i"ll be buying 3d movies from now on. The family loves the 3d. The ps3 glasses are fine, cheap and work anywhere in the room. Great projector and the depth and contrast of 3d now makes 2d pretty boring.
Lol, that's awesome. And wow the ps3 glasses are a lot cheaper than the recommend sony ones. So just to be sure, the ps3 3D glasses can work with anything right? Like I don't have to be using the ps3 console to be using the ps3 3D glasses.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Lol, that's awesome. And wow the ps3 glasses are a lot cheaper than the recommend sony ones. So just to be sure, the ps3 3D glasses can work with anything right? Like I don't have to be using the ps3 console to be using the ps3 3D glasses.
The projector syncs withe the glasses. Charge the glasses 3 minutes to watch a 3 hour movie. Charge up to 30 minutes for 30 hours of viewing. The IR emitter is in the projector and the glasses pick it up no problems. Just feed the projector a 3d hdmi feed and it does the rest. I was worried about setup hassles but the glasses and projector worked together straight out of the box. I also bought a set of clip on ps3 glasses for my son who wears glasses. They work great too.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-19-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Clip on glasses

Off topic, but which clip-on 3d glasses did you get that works with the Sony? Thanks
post #10 of 12 Old 06-20-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David HT guy View Post
Off topic, but which clip-on 3d glasses did you get that works with the Sony? Thanks
http://www.amazon.com/compatible-3DT...d+kids+glasses

These work great. They are light but are full size so adults can wear them fine. Work great for kids too.

Last edited by chambers1517; 06-20-2014 at 05:24 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-20-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

chambers1517, what type of screen are you using?
post #12 of 12 Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers1517 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/compatible-3DT...d+kids+glasses

These work great. They are light but are full size so adults can wear them fine. Work great for kids too.
Thanks Chambers
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread