post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Optoma 25e or 25-LV

Hi,

This will be my first projector purchase and without breaking the bank,

I think I've narrowed my choices down to these two projectors and had a few questions.

Are these projectors similar to the BenQ W1070 where as the projector has to be mounted/pointed two to three inches above the top of the screen? Or two to three inches below the screen? I have plenty of room to adjust throw distance but the ceiling height is another matter. The ceiling height at it's lowest is 84" and at it's highest it's 92". I would be mounting/sitting the projector just underneath the 84" ceiling height and projecting the image onto the 92" ceiling height wall.

I'm hoping to simply sit either of these two projectors on a wire shelving system that HD/Lowes sell. Hopefully I can adjust the position of the projector to suit my needs. Or am I totally not understanding things?

I want to put all of my other components on this wire shelving system too.

I decided on these two projectors because of the throw distance. Both of these projectors will give me a 126" diagonal image at 15', and since we sit at around 12', I thought that it might alleviate some fan noise.

Trying to get our ears as far away from the projector as possible

I wanted to mount the projector as far away from our seating area as possible. I believe 15' would be the sweet spot.

Any other ideas as to my set up would be more than welcome.

Thanks.

John36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
These projectors must be about 8" or more above the top of the screen when invert-mounted (ceiling typically) or must be about 8" below the bottom of the screen when set right side up (coffee table).

They don't produce as good of an image as the W1070, but do have longer throw distance.

With 7' ceilings, I would be looking at something else. Maybe the Epson 2030, which is a decent entry level model with good color and negative offset. That is, for your screen size, the center of the lens would be a couple of inches BELOW the top of the screen when invert mounted.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
These projectors must be about 8" or more above the top of the screen when invert-mounted (ceiling typically) or must be about 8" below the bottom of the screen when set right side up (coffee table).

They don't produce as good of an image as the W1070, but do have longer throw distance.

With 7' ceilings, I would be looking at something else. Maybe the Epson 2030, which is a decent entry level model with good color and negative offset. That is, for your screen size, the center of the lens would be a couple of inches BELOW the top of the screen when invert mounted.
Thank you.

I will research the Epson 2030 and post back if I have further questions.

Thanks again.

John36
post #4 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
At 15' the benq will have a much larger picture than 126". If that is the screen size you're looking for then the optoma would be a better choice.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Would it be possible to ceiling-mount instead of rear-shelf? Is there a reason (door, window, etc.) that makes you prefer to project to the tall wall instead of the other way around?
post #6 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Would it be possible to ceiling-mount instead of rear-shelf? Is there a reason (door, window, etc.) that makes you prefer to project to the tall wall instead of the other way around?
Yeah, My set up is in the basement and the reason there are two different ceiling heights is because the duct work was boxed in and thus the 84" lower ceiling height.

There is only one wall that will work well and that's the wall with the higher ceiling height, 92".

The shape of the room that the projector is going in is sort of L shaped to a degree.

The entire room is approx. 25'X16' at it's largest and decreases to form the L shape.

The projected image will be on the wall where the ceiling height is 92" and the wall itself is 16'.

The ceiling in this 25X16 room is actually in three heights. The one height is 92" where the image would be projected and then there is the area where the duct work is boxed in and that is the 84" height, and then the back ceiling is 95".

I guess at some point in one of those ceilings I could mount the projector, I just thought that the easiest way, at least for me, was to shelf mount it behind the sofa at some point.

I'm still researching the Epson that was recommended and so far so good. I'm sure there are others at this price point that I should probably consider as well.

Thanks guys...

John36
post #7 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
At 15' the benq will have a much larger picture than 126". If that is the screen size you're looking for then the optoma would be a better choice.
I'm trying to shoot for around a 126" diagonal image. It could be a little more or a little less depending on the exact projector location.

I had originally wanted to get the BenQ as it was on sale recently, but after calculating the throw distance I needed, I decided against it as the image would probably be too large at a distance of around 14 to 15 feet.

That's why I mentioned the Optoma's as they would work at that distance.

The jury is still out though on which projector to get.

Decisions, decisions......

John36
post #8 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by John36 View Post
I'm trying to shoot for around a 126" diagonal image. It could be a little more or a little less depending on the exact projector location.

I had originally wanted to get the BenQ as it was on sale recently, but after calculating the throw distance I needed, I decided against it as the image would probably be too large at a distance of around 14 to 15 feet.

That's why I mentioned the Optoma's as they would work at that distance.

The jury is still out though on which projector to get.

Decisions, decisions......
Have you considered maybe a refurbished Epson 8345 or 8350? Or a panasonic PT-AR100u if you can find one at a good price. These units are a little pricier and bigger, but they have all the Zoom you need and lots of lens shift.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Have you considered maybe a refurbished Epson 8345 or 8350? Or a panasonic PT-AR100u if you can find one at a good price. These units are a little pricier and bigger, but they have all the Zoom you need and lots of lens shift.
Thanks for those suggestions. I will definitely look into them as well.
ben38 likes this.

John36
post #10 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
What is the distance from your projection wall to the duct work?

The BenQ W1080ST is a short throw projector which I have used when duct work was about 7' or so from the screen.

With a 126" diagonal, the projector lens can be between 6'4" and 7'7" from the screen. Not sure if that distance works, but that's certainly one of the best looking images you will get and will work very well (if it works at all) within your space.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-23-2014, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
What is the distance from your projection wall to the duct work?

The BenQ W1080ST is a short throw projector which I have used when duct work was about 7' or so from the screen.

With a 126" diagonal, the projector lens can be between 6'4" and 7'7" from the screen. Not sure if that distance works, but that's certainly one of the best looking images you will get and will work very well (if it works at all) within your space.
Thanks again AV,

The distance from the projected wall to the duct work ceiling starts at 8' and extends another 5', so total distance would be 13'. So, I guess it could be mounted on this 84" ceiling at any point from 8' to 13' away from the projected wall.

I had thought about trying to mount the projector on this duct work ceiling and buying a short throw projector as you suggest, but I just thought that the projector in this location would be a distraction? It would be right above our heads or even in front of our seating area. I'm thinking we would see or hear it in this location, that's why I thought it would be better to get a projector that is located a few feet behind the seating area. Again???

Like I said, this is my first projector set up, so I could be dead wrong about the distraction thing, I'm sure a lot of folks buy short throw projectors and are happy with them.

Thanks again...

John36
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page