Innovative IV-11LED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Innovative IV-11LED

Hi guys - first post - did a search web-wide and came up with zilch. Anyone here have any experience with Innovative Audio's projector line, more specifically the IV-6LED or the IV-11LED? http://www.innovativeaudio.us/IV-11LED.php.html

Not sure if this is a good deal, good brand, or inflated specs. Any insight would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozebleed View Post
Hi guys - first post - did a search web-wide and came up with zilch. Anyone here have any experience with Innovative Audio's projector line, more specifically the IV-6LED or the IV-11LED? http://www.innovativeaudio.us/IV-11LED.php.html

Not sure if this is a good deal, good brand, or inflated specs. Any insight would be great. Thanks!
Between the frequent typos on the site (Blue-ray, supPort, etc), the amazingly optimistic specs (6000 lumens and a 45k:1 contrast ratio out of LED?), and the few bits of honesty (3D is only anaglyph), I'm going to go ahead and say this thing is a white van scam and you shouldn't pay any amount of money for it, even if it's being offered at a "very good deal."

Could be worth $10 or so for those of us who enjoy watching Youtube reviews of hilariously bad Chinese knockoff products, but that's the only way to get enjoyment out of it.

Last edited by sethsez; 06-23-2014 at 11:37 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez View Post
Between the frequent typos on the site (Blue-ray, supPort, etc), the amazingly optimistic specs (6000 lumens and a 45k:1 contrast ratio out of LED?), and the few bits of honesty (3D is only anaglyph), I'm going to go ahead and say this thing is a white van scam and you shouldn't pay any amount of money for it, even if it's being offered at a "very good deal."

Could be worth $10 or so for those of us who enjoy watching Youtube reviews of hilariously bad Chinese knockoff products, but that's the only way to get enjoyment out of it.
Thanks for the hypotheticals, I am also of the mindset "too good to be true, then must be" however i was looking for real-world experience/use of this model.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the hypotheticals, I am also of the mindset "too good to be true, then must be" however i was looking for real-world experience/use of this model.
I highly doubt you'll find anyone with any experience with these, if only because between it being a brand-new company, the specs clearly being made up, links not actually going to anything (including all prices and the brochure on their contact page), the "About Us" page being a bunch of stock photos, and the total lack of contact information, this has the distinct stink of a page designed entirely to lend legitimacy to some generic white van projectors. The reason you can't find information about them is because by the time information does exist online, they'll have already changed their name again.

If you want to know what generic Chinese white van projectors look like, however, you can find information about those all over the place. They're dim, low resolution, built with the cheapest possible materials, can't keep focus, and break very easily. They do generally project an image, but that's about the best I can say for them.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 366
This is the lowest kind of white van scam projector. Ignore the product completely. If you want reviews, look at any of the multitude of other white van scam projectors, because this is very close to them.

If you are interested in buying a projector, then by all means, ask questions, but these are a cross between toys and garbage.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys i'll pass
post #7 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Anyone with real world experience wouldn't admit it out of shame. Especially they won't on an enthusiast message board.

That's how crap that thing is.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Anyone with real world experience wouldn't admit it out of shame. Especially they won't on an enthusiast message board.

That's how crap that thing is.
I would personally love to see what this projector looks like. As well as models like the (recently discussed) CRE X2000 model. It would be nice to have these models so that they could be directly compared to the BenQ W1070, or the Epson PF85U.

The fact that people don't get honest reviews of these models and a basis of comparison is really tragic I think. I mean, at the end of the day, it may be fine to say "These models are terrible, but may be ideal for a kid's playroom to watch cartoons on." They may do alight for some non-critical outdoor viewing, or by the deck after dark. For the kids to use. They are cheap, and potentially 'fun'. Much like the cheaper LED projectors - they are a potential toy instead of a serious home theater projector.

But, with no reviews - who can tell? I certainly am not going to risk this type of purchase, and certainly won't recommend it when there is no review, no support, nothing. Just keep my projector and call it a day.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I would personally love to see what this projector looks like. As well as models like the (recently discussed) CRE X2000 model. It would be nice to have these models so that they could be directly compared to the BenQ W1070, or the Epson PF85U.

The fact that people don't get honest reviews of these models and a basis of comparison is really tragic I think. I mean, at the end of the day, it may be fine to say "These models are terrible, but may be ideal for a kid's playroom to watch cartoons on." They may do alight for some non-critical outdoor viewing, or by the deck after dark. For the kids to use. They are cheap, and potentially 'fun'. Much like the cheaper LED projectors - they are a potential toy instead of a serious home theater projector.

But, with no reviews - who can tell? I certainly am not going to risk this type of purchase, and certainly won't recommend it when there is no review, no support, nothing. Just keep my projector and call it a day.
thanks, this is pretty much what i was thinking (without so many words). I would also add, it could be that this projector does in fact stand up to anything else you mentioned, but since no one has heard of it then BAAAAAH ITS ****. Didnt know i stumbled on an "enthusiast" forum as stated previously, through a google search. Ive decided against a projector completely. thanks for the input guys -

ps- i bought $35 in-wall speakers off amazon and couldnt be happier with the purchase. its obvious i dont belong here. sorry for wasting your time
post #10 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
thanks, this is pretty much what i was thinking (without so many words). I would also add, it could be that this projector does in fact stand up to anything else you mentioned, but since no one has heard of it then BAAAAAH ITS ****. Didnt know i stumbled on an "enthusiast" forum as stated previously, through a google search. Ive decided against a projector completely. thanks for the input guys -

ps- i bought $35 in-wall speakers off amazon and couldnt be happier with the purchase. its obvious i dont belong here. sorry for wasting your time
It has nothing to do with being "enthusiast." The point is that it is, quite literally, a scam. The specs are total lies (nobody has managed to get anything even approaching 6000 lumens and 45,000:1 contrast ratio out of an LED projector, that would upend the entire industry at this point, and the notion that some of the best specs in the industry would be paired with anaglyph 3D and "Blue-ray supPort" is laughable), and there's no way to contact the company for service because they don't want you to contact them. This exact scam has been going around for years now, with projectors, packaging and websites that look remarkably like these. Is it possible that this is actually a world-beating projector that just happens to be on the world's worst site with packaging designed by someone's nephew? Sure, in the same way that it's possible that an unnamed prince from Nigeria really does want to give you $50,000 but just needs $500 of your own money first.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't buy cheap things. Cheap things can be quite good (my current projector cost $300 when I bought it and it does the trick for me just fine). We're saying you shouldn't buy something designed for the sole purpose of ripping you off. If you actually want a projector and are on a limited budget, tell us what you can afford and people here can tell you what's good for that budget. If you wanted to know whether or not this thing would be a good impulse purchase, well, now you know. Unless you'd be buying it super-cheap in order to examine it purely as a piece of crap (and hey, as I said, there's several entertaining channels on YouTube about exactly that), your money would go much, much further with practically anything else. Why does that seem to offend you?

Last edited by sethsez; 06-23-2014 at 05:21 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Don't go away mad nosebleed. How are you wasting your
(or our time) time when people in this forum are stopping you from getting ripped off? We're all friends here looking out for your best interest.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

What, dude these have a gameboy advance screen with a halogen desk lamp behind it. It's an utter piece of ****! This is a toy, it is not a projector.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
thanks, this is pretty much what i was thinking (without so many words).
I'm all for that, but I also have a basis by which to compared projectors, as do many others here do as well, which is important when looking at product.

Quote:
I would also add, it could be that this projector does in fact stand up to anything else you mentioned
No, this is a fact that is definitely not the case. This product is nothing at all in the league of what I mentioned. The top manufacturers in the world are working to drive down quality projector pricing. They are at war with each other to provide great product for minimal cash, and this particular projector you are looking at is a variation of a long line of similar models which have terrible performance. But, if terrible performance is your goal, then this may be the product for you.

Quote:
but since no one has heard of it then BAAAAAH ITS ****.
No, it's junk because it's junk. There are very similar models that are just like it. The indicators are a website which has over-inflated pricing (by thousands of dollars), a complete lack of specifications, etc. This is something I have seen, and researched in detail, and there is even a thread about on these forums to help users be aware of.

Quote:
Didnt know i stumbled on an "enthusiast" forum as stated previously, through a google search. Ive decided against a projector completely. thanks for the input guys
The input is important and hopefully you aren't being a jerk about it, but are in-fact being sincere. This is like finding a Yugo when car shopping and asking on a car forum if it's a good car, and people telling you that it's a horrible purchase decision. They say so because it is established that ALL Yugo cards are junk.

That's the exact case here. You could buy this projector, and it may look acceptable, but then if it breaks, you have no service or support for it. Someone just asked me on another forum about Volare projectors they purchased which isn't working right - and they can't reach tech support, and they can't return the projector, and they are out several hundred dollars.

Here's the point: $300 for junk, or $450 for the Optoma H180X which is a well established manufacturer with proper HDMI 1.4 3D support and comes from an honest company. There are excellent projectors out there for not a lot of cash, but nothing of any quality for next to nothing.

Quote:
Seriously - don't be a douche.

$35 for in-wall speakers is cheap, but there are many sets out there, and some from very reputable manufacturers. They don't sound like a $100 or $200 pair of speakers, but they do work well and will last for years. For the price ($35) you aren't upset if you have to replace them in a few years, and speakers certainly can be produced for that price no problem.

By example, I would happily vouch for this manufacturer and these speakers ($43)...
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I would bet they would last most people 5-10 years and they would be happy with them for 'typical' TV viewing.

Heck, I bought a 5 speaker system for $50 shipped to my door for 5 speakers and am very happy with them. Made by Yamaha no less.

Let's look at the Sony, Yamaha, Optoma, InFocus, etc. model of projector which has a MSRP of $6,000, but then sells for $1,300 on eBay.

What DOES sell for under $1,000 in projectors that is amazing? How about the BenQ W1070? Why not ask about that, why not accept that what you are looking at is a scam?

Do you want proof it's a scam beyond what is already listed?
How about this: On their specifications page they list a one-chip LCD system. But, single LCD panels are a color passive technology which are completely incapable of delivering anything close to the contrast listed. They list it as a DarkChip 7 TFT panel. DarkChip is a DLP technology, the 7 series panels are the Epson LCD panels. So, you have a Texas Instruments product that is 100% different than the Epson product, but both listed in the same line by this company. Built in NTSC tuner... But, NTSC television is dead, and was replaced by ATSC in the USA. So, why have a tuner that doesn't work built into the projector? It lists processing and resolution as 1920x1080 (MAX) - but what it doesn't state is the actual resolution of the panel it uses. This is of exceptional note because most projector manufacturers clearly state the native resolution of their projector. That is, they will say NATIVE RESOLUTION: 1920x1080. But, this one doesn't say that - it talks about compatibility, rather than actual resolution, which indicates that it has a resolution that may not actually be 1920x1080. That's a huge red flag when they avoid specifics.

All info from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/InnoVative-H...-/261467058422

From here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/InnoVative-H...item3a92980340

You actually get a screen shot of an Innovative projector in use, and you can see that the computer image falls off the edges of the screen due to poor processing, and that the image is noticeably darker the further from the center of the image you get, which is a sign of very poorly designed and implemented optics.

So, yes, I would like to take photos of what this projector produces to clearly show that it has a value of sale which may be closer to $100-$200 vs. $300 and certainly not $500 or more.

It would also be nice to find out if this projector actually uses a LED light source, or if it just has LED lights on it. I mean, my projector has 60,000 hour LED lights on it. But, the actual light that makes the projector work isn't one of those LEDs! The LEDs just indicates projector power status. Get it? It's misleading and a scam to misdirect you into thinking that you are getting a LED light engine, when you aren't actually getting that. Though, for the money some are charging, you really should.

If you are interested in getting a cheap projector, then this enthusiast site will help you get there. If you just want to be patted on the back and told to live in a world with blinders, then you definitely are at the wrong place.

post #14 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I'm all for that, but I also have a basis by which to compared projectors, as do many others here do as well, which is important when looking at product.

No, this is a fact that is definitely not the case. This product is nothing at all in the league of what I mentioned. The top manufacturers in the world are working to drive down quality projector pricing. They are at war with each other to provide great product for minimal cash, and this particular projector you are looking at is a variation of a long line of similar models which have terrible performance. But, if terrible performance is your goal, then this may be the product for you.

No, it's junk because it's junk. There are very similar models that are just like it. The indicators are a website which has over-inflated pricing (by thousands of dollars), a complete lack of specifications, etc. This is something I have seen, and researched in detail, and there is even a thread about on these forums to help users be aware of.

The input is important and hopefully you aren't being a jerk about it, but are in-fact being sincere. This is like finding a Yugo when car shopping and asking on a car forum if it's a good car, and people telling you that it's a horrible purchase decision. They say so because it is established that ALL Yugo cards are junk.

That's the exact case here. You could buy this projector, and it may look acceptable, but then if it breaks, you have no service or support for it. Someone just asked me on another forum about Volare projectors they purchased which isn't working right - and they can't reach tech support, and they can't return the projector, and they are out several hundred dollars.

Here's the point: $300 for junk, or $450 for the Optoma H180X which is a well established manufacturer with proper HDMI 1.4 3D support and comes from an honest company. There are excellent projectors out there for not a lot of cash, but nothing of any quality for next to nothing.

Seriously - don't be a douche.

$35 for in-wall speakers is cheap, but there are many sets out there, and some from very reputable manufacturers. They don't sound like a $100 or $200 pair of speakers, but they do work well and will last for years. For the price ($35) you aren't upset if you have to replace them in a few years, and speakers certainly can be produced for that price no problem.

By example, I would happily vouch for this manufacturer and these speakers ($43)...
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I would bet they would last most people 5-10 years and they would be happy with them for 'typical' TV viewing.

Heck, I bought a 5 speaker system for $50 shipped to my door for 5 speakers and am very happy with them. Made by Yamaha no less.

Let's look at the Sony, Yamaha, Optoma, InFocus, etc. model of projector which has a MSRP of $6,000, but then sells for $1,300 on eBay.

What DOES sell for under $1,000 in projectors that is amazing? How about the BenQ W1070? Why not ask about that, why not accept that what you are looking at is a scam?

Do you want proof it's a scam beyond what is already listed?
How about this: On their specifications page they list a one-chip LCD system. But, single LCD panels are a color passive technology which are completely incapable of delivering anything close to the contrast listed. They list it as a DarkChip 7 TFT panel. DarkChip is a DLP technology, the 7 series panels are the Epson LCD panels. So, you have a Texas Instruments product that is 100% different than the Epson product, but both listed in the same line by this company. Built in NTSC tuner... But, NTSC television is dead, and was replaced by ATSC in the USA. So, why have a tuner that doesn't work built into the projector? It lists processing and resolution as 1920x1080 (MAX) - but what it doesn't state is the actual resolution of the panel it uses. This is of exceptional note because most projector manufacturers clearly state the native resolution of their projector. That is, they will say NATIVE RESOLUTION: 1920x1080. But, this one doesn't say that - it talks about compatibility, rather than actual resolution, which indicates that it has a resolution that may not actually be 1920x1080. That's a huge red flag when they avoid specifics.

All info from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/InnoVative-H...-/261467058422

From here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/InnoVative-H...item3a92980340

You actually get a screen shot of an Innovative projector in use, and you can see that the computer image falls off the edges of the screen due to poor processing, and that the image is noticeably darker the further from the center of the image you get, which is a sign of very poorly designed and implemented optics.

So, yes, I would like to take photos of what this projector produces to clearly show that it has a value of sale which may be closer to $100-$200 vs. $300 and certainly not $500 or more.

It would also be nice to find out if this projector actually uses a LED light source, or if it just has LED lights on it. I mean, my projector has 60,000 hour LED lights on it. But, the actual light that makes the projector work isn't one of those LEDs! The LEDs just indicates projector power status. Get it? It's misleading and a scam to misdirect you into thinking that you are getting a LED light engine, when you aren't actually getting that. Though, for the money some are charging, you really should.

If you are interested in getting a cheap projector, then this enthusiast site will help you get there. If you just want to be patted on the back and told to live in a world with blinders, then you definitely are at the wrong place.
ben38 likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Volare projectors
Aaaaaaand surprise surprise, the InnovativeAudio IV-6LED is in the exact same body as the Volare HD-6K and HD-18K (yep, they sell the exact same projector as their lowest and next-to-highest end).

Now, Volare claims the HD-6K goes for $3,595. And they actually have a manual available to look at! For close to $4,000 you'd assume 1080p is a must, right?

Nope. 800x600.

Okay. But what about their top-end product, the HD-20K at $4,995 (what a strangely small spread of prices)? Surely THAT must at least climb up to 720p, which basic $300 pico projectors can manage, right?

Nope. Still 800x600.

nozebleed, if you want to know how InnovativeAudio's projectors are, look up Volare's projectors because some of them are literally identical. The only difference is that Volare is a bit older so the jig is up and the name had to be changed. Again, we know it's a scam because we've seen the scam. You can still buy it, it's your money, but if you didn't want to be warned about a scam then why make a thread asking if it is one?

Last edited by sethsez; 06-23-2014 at 09:24 PM.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I added these guys to the White Van Scam thread...
"White Van" Projector Scam

Which also bumped that thread up which needed to happen!

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - IV-11LED by PriceGrabber.com