post #31 of 32 Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Red Neck solution (it is a basement for the 1070): How about a stand (Amazon $35 U.S. adjusts 36 -60 inches) or even a wire/bookshelf (six feet tall - Target about $29 to $59) rack behind the couch. The wires could go under the couch and a rug (or a home theater chair) used to cover the wires to the wall on the low traffic side of the couch. HDMI in, power in and the audio out to a 2.1 or 3.1 system. The wires could be attached to the rack or bookshelf and placed in some sort of cover...maybe black shelf and black pvc pipe. Any issues with the image could be adjusted with keystone (not perfect). (Might be an issue if you have climbing kids!)

A power strip and HDMI might be all you need if you have the AVR and blu-ray in the front of the room and the HDMI from the blu-ray to the AVR to the pj.

I use a similar set up in a spare room with the projector on top of my computer desk at about 6 feet (pj height) with the image flipped to "ceiling". The flipped pj still gets good air flow (wire rack). Ten feet with my cheap pj gets me a 92 inch image.
This won't work (easily) with the W1070 as it must be invert mounted about 2" above the top of the projection screen. It certainly is something others do, but typically it's at the back of the room once again, where wires, and power can be routed to the unit easily.

My preference is that Mike should jump in to the deep end and figure out a way to run some cabling if he can and ceiling mount the W1070. But, he has options which aren't necessarily straightforward no matter what. You will need power and HDMI at the projector, and if you ceiling mount, you will need to do something to figure out audio as well (which has a far longer list of options actually).
Quickett likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Would Mike be better served by spending a little more and getting a projector with a more adjustable "throw distance"? I know that the Benq is a better projector in terms of a sharper image and "bang for the buck", but what about another projector slightly over a $1,000 which might work better for his application? One that he could mount next to the wall (18.5 feet back...well, slightly less say 17 feet back) and only have to cover/hide the wires running down the wall?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page