Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for a projector under $2000

Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum. I am looking for a projector preferably under $2000 for my new home theatre. We have a dedicated dark theatre room with different lighting settings. Any suggestions?

Will mostly be using for gaming and movies. The room dimensions are 14x12. This is my first home theatre set up so I'm fairly new to all this.

Also need suggestions for audio. The theatre is 7.1 prewired, we had a bose accoustimass 15 set up in the previous home in the living room and I loved how it sounded.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
If the theater is painted dark with dark ceilings and dark carpet, as a proper home theater should be, then I would up the budget just a tiny bit and get the Sony 40ES projector. It has excellent contrast and a great image for the money.

If you are looking to perhaps be a bit more budget oriented, the BenQ W1070 remains a very good entry level projector, and the best value under $2,000 with a solid image. At just over $700, it's an amazing deal, and does a great job. But, in a good theater space, it's not going to deliver the same level of quality image that the Sony will.

For surround sound, you should really read some reviews of what people say about Bose, and why they say it. There are far better options in a dedicated space which will deliver far fuller sound. You should ask in the audio section of this website, or try Audioholics. Really though, once you have a budget, you should go listen to speakers.

Hopefully the wiring is not all for in-wall/on-wall speakers as this tends to be one of the weaker ways to provide audio to a room. Some good in-room speakers is a great way to go, and a excellent subwoofer and a good A/V receiver to drive everything with.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
If the theater is painted dark with dark ceilings and dark carpet, as a proper home theater should be, then I would up the budget just a tiny bit and get the Sony 40ES projector. It has excellent contrast and a great image for the money.
How is the Sony for input lag? Since he's gaming on it that would be an important consideration, and while I know the w1070 is very good here (about a frame of lag), I haven't heard about the quality of the 40ES in this respect. I know it can do quite a lot of image processing, which can be a red flag for gamers since that tends to introduce latency.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The 40es lag is around 24-45 depending on whether extra processing is being used or turned off. ..might be something like 28-42 or 22-48.. it is said to be very impressive in that department as well which is part of why it is such a good all arounder.
sethsez likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The 40es lag is around 24-45 depending on whether extra processing is being used or turned off. ..might be something like 28-42 or 22-48.. it is said to be very impressive in that department as well which is part of why it is such a good all arounder.
Oh, that's pretty good then! Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for all the useful information AV_Integrated, sethsez and FTOAST; Really appreciate all your help! What screen would you guys recommend? I'm looking for a 100-120" screen. Yes, the room is dark all around and fully light controlled. I guess I'll head over to the audio department for suggestions on the surround sound, it's a 7.1 prewired in wall I believe.

What do you guys think about Epson 5030UB, Benq MH740, Epson 3020, Panasonic PT-AE8000? If you had to rate these along with benq W1070, how would you rate them?

Thanks!

Last edited by danyal; 06-25-2014 at 06:59 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyal View Post
Thanks for all the useful information AV_Integrated, sethsez and FTOAST; Really appreciate all your help! What screen would you guys recommend? I'm looking for a 100-120" screen. Yes, the room is dark all around and fully light controlled. I guess I'll head over to the audio department for suggestions on the surround sound, it's a 7.1 prewired in wall I believe.

What do you guys think about Epson 5030UB, Benq MH740, Epson 3020, Panasonic PT-AE8000? If you had to rate these along with benq W1070, how would you rate them?
Thanks!
The Elite screen fixed frame screens are a very well liked series for a better price than most ($290-350 around 100"-120"). They perform well and can even be lightly scrubbed/washed if ever needed which is somewhat rare for screens.

The 5030/6030 is quite similar to that Sony 40es with a slight advantage for 3D smoothness while the Sony has the advantage of less visible pixels (much smaller pixel gaps) and better gaming performance with less input lag.
The Benq mh740 has significantly worse measured contrast than the Sony and the Epson5030, but better fast motion handling for sports.
The Epson3020 has lower contrast than anything else you've listed and would probably be the worst choice for the money.
The AE8000 has slightly lesser performance than the 5030 and Sony, but has some neat automatic/memory lens settings..probably nothing you'll use in most circumstances.

The w1070 can largely tie everything you've listed for 3D performance and beat them for combined gaming and fast-motion handling. It has less visible pixels than the ae800 and both epsons, and can basically match color accuracy with the best of them. The Sony, Epson5030, and to a lesser degree ae8000 all have better contrast than the w1070, and will perform noticeably better in a dark, painted room.
They also all have more zoom length for people that need to mount a farther back from a smaller screen.

I'd pick the w1070 over the 740 and 3020, and if you have the money to look at the 5030/ae8000 I'd pick the Sony hw40es over any of them.

Last edited by Ftoast; 06-25-2014 at 07:29 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Ftoast just summed it up very nicely. The one thing I would add is that the Sony is extremely quiet as noted in all the reviews.

For purchasing, I would take the W1070 or the Sony 40ES.

Why? Because they are, flat out, the best in their class within a few hundred bucks.

At under $1900 the W1070 isn't bested by anything. Not the Epson 3020, or 8350, or anything. It's just a great projector.
But, the AE800 and 5030 deliver more in a dedicated space. But, can have a bit more lag... not quite reach the level that you may hope for, and this is where I think the Sony does a great job. It delivers in gaming, image quality, colors, shadows, 3D, brightness... everything you may want, and is close enough in price to the AE8000 and (moreso) the 5030, to make it the best all-around sub-$3,000 projector out the right now (IMO). The JVC RS46 is still what I would call the best movie projector out there, but is closer to $3,000 and not good for gaming.

So - Sony 40ES with the best all around performance at around $2,300 or so (maybe $2,100?) online, or the BenQ W1070 for around $750 or so? In my world, when I finish my basement and have a more dedicated space, I would take the Sony. But, in my non-dedicated space, I use the W1070. I wish for better blacks and less noise. I don't game on my projector.
Ftoast likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wrong post

Last edited by Sonyad; 06-28-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Wrong section
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com